Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAGA CONTINUES  (Read 29613 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE SAGA CONTINUES
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 05:32:03 AM »

I liked the service in Beauty and the Beast, what with all those knives and forks and spoons dancing about.

I have a question about that film, however.  After the spell was broken, and all the enchanted objects became people again...

...exactly what did they eat with?  Or is that why everyone is just standing about in the ballroom in that final scene?  The rest of the castle is absolutely empty!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 05:47:50 AM »

A movie about a MISANTHROPE - RAPIST MEN, HO!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 05:57:04 AM »

Miss Anthrope--one of Oscar Wilde's less likable characters.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 06:15:38 AM »

TOD:

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS
I MARRIED A MALE WAR BRIDE
BONNIE SCOTLAND
A FOREIGN AFFAIR
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 06:19:17 AM »

Speaking of my Grandmother, did you know that when I was a little girl, she taught me to speak fluent German?  Or so I was told.  I don't remember any of it.

If you don't have someone to practice with, you lose it.  

My grandparents also spoke fluent German with the dialect that was from the region they came from. I do know some words including a few not to mentioned in English...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 06:22:06 AM »

Elmore, I nearly forgot about the film, MASH. IT was good and I enjoyed it....

Private Benjamin was quirky and funny in its own way. Stripes was a hoot!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 06:37:11 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Odd day for me, because my car is in for routine service (in preparation for my trip to Illinois, Thursday-Monday) and DH Richard drove me to work and will pick me up.

DR MBarnum - I was sorry to read that your mother's move did not go smoothly and that you had a car mishap.  Vibes to you and Mom that things get better starting today!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 06:44:42 AM »

Good morning Jose and other friends.

Jose, since you're on line now you're obviously not at Trader Joe's!

I went yesterday afternoon for a couple of things and the lines were managable. I got into the separate 6 items or less line and was out in less than 10 minutes. The big line, however was a different story. I was happy with my purchase of 3 bananas, some baby spinach and a pint of cherry tomatoes.

I am listening to the finale of the 1812 Overture on BBC 2, Melodies for You presented by Sheridan Morely. Quite inspiring.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 07:04:03 AM »

Jose, since you're on line now you're obviously not at Trader Joe's!

I went yesterday afternoon for a couple of things and the lines were managable. I got into the separate 6 items or less line and was out in less than 10 minutes. The big line, however was a different story. I was happy with my purchase of 3 bananas, some baby spinach and a pint of cherry tomatoes.

I am listening to the finale of the 1812 Overture on BBC 2, Melodies for You presented by Sheridan Morely. Quite inspiring.

Nope.  I'm still here.  But my breakfast did consist of food I bought at Trader Joe's - cereal, mission figs, green tea.  So... I guess I was there in spirit.  Oh, and my multi-vitamin is also from Trader Joe's.

*And, yes, I was sort of surprised when we walked in there around 7:00pm yesterday that there was produce on display.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 07:12:22 AM »

Good day also to you, Ben, and fellow readers...

Ben, I like that program also. Have you ever listened to the Jazz program that RTE Lyric presents on Saturday evenings?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 07:17:43 AM »

When it comes to music, I try and keep an open mind and listen to a little of everything just to experience it. Some music I have a clear dislike for such as gangsta rap and heavy metal.

I do like some pop music and country but I seem to be drawn to Irish traditional, broadway, cabaret and world music in general. I love exploring and listening to music. It gives an insight to the psyche of people and their culture and the times they live in..

Ben are familiar with Derek Bell?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

Today is the 25th anniversary of HIV and AIDS.  GMHC is having a ceremony to honor the anniversary in front of our building, and I may head down in a few minutes to catch some of it.  This year will also mark the 25th birthday of GMHC as an agency.  We are the oldest in the country.  I feel proud to have been a part of this organization for almost 5 years now.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful and beautifully cool morning, and as the high will only be in the upper 70s, I have a BIG smile on my face. How I love this kind of weather!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 07:40:22 AM »

BUCK PRIVATES is a very funny Abbott and Costello picture, one of their best, and it gave us "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" so that also makes it worthwhile in my book.

I also adore PRIVATES ON PARADE. Great fun while it lasts and then gripping shock and tragedy.

I'm one of those who liked the TV series MASH more than the film, but the film certainly has its merits, too. I have the film on DVD and haven't watched it since I've had it. Might be something to put on "active reserve" this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 07:41:04 AM »

I'm having an early lunch with best friend John today, so I must get up and out of here very quickly.

WBBL.

Ben

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2006, 08:06:28 AM »

DCm yes, I have heard Derek Bell. I also listen to RTE programs. I like the jazz and folk programs. It was great to hear some of them "live" when we were in Dublin at Christmas. I do love European radio stations and now that we have live streaming on the Web I am able to get my fix.

I'm listening to BBC 3 right now. Stage and Screen with Edward Seckerson. He's reviewing current Broadway musicals.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 08:15:38 AM »

Hi I am here and finally caught up.

My I leave you people alone for a few minutes and the trouble you get up to!  Crying moms, car crashes and lost wallets!

I send
~~~~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~~[/color]

to all of you for better days ahead and excellent resolution to your various issues
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »

Dear Elmore,

I said a special prayer for you and yours at church yesterday

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2006, 08:19:24 AM »

Friday night the Vixter and I went to see a local production of Man of La Mancha.

I was quite impressed with the set and the staging and the acting and the singing...it was very well done indeed.

The Vixter absolutely loved it and has demanded that without delay I procure for her a cast recording of the show

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:29:22 AM by vixmom »

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2006, 08:25:02 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the vibes! I am sure all is fine this bright sunny morning..at least I am sitting here with a nice hot cup of coffee and that is certainly a good start!

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2006, 08:27:13 AM »

On Saturday my throat thing caught up with me and I was absolutely exhausted all day.  Since it poured rain all day and the Vixter was monopolizing the computer for a school project I dozed on and off in the recliner  while watching Taming of the Shrew (the Taylor/Burton version and "introducing" Michael York!) gosh, I had forgotten how handsome Richard Burton was...

There was a Cyril Cusak listed in the credits, any relation to John I wonder?

Around 1 PM I gave up the recliner and actually went back to bed wher I slept til 5 PM.  I got up, cooked for the  family and went back to bed  where I slept until Sunday morning when I awoke feeling much better

FJL

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 08:28:39 AM »

May-all-your-days-be-better-than-yesterday vibes to MBarnum.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 08:31:13 AM »

In addition to what's been mentioned for the TOD:  Does the Broadway musical OVER HERE count as a service comedy?   I remember liking it a lot, and still hum the title song and the "Charlie's Place" number quite a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 08:32:05 AM »

Cyril Cusak is a wonderful Irish actor and no relation to John, but is the father of Sinead, who's married to Jeremy Irons.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »

Very overcast outside - wonder if we'll get a respite from the heat wave, or whether it will burn off.  Guess I'll start making some calls now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2006, 08:38:02 AM »

I could sit here and bore each and every one of you with a list of my ailments...but I'm certain you have better ways to start off your week.

Suffice it to say...I had my best night's sleep last night thanks to the lifting of whatever low pressure system that had been preventing the fog from rolling in across the Bay each evening for the past week.

I don't care how warm it gets in the daytime just so long as I get my cool nights.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:49:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2006, 08:39:11 AM »

Well, the DMV is their usual helpful self - have to go down there and wait to replace the license.  Last time, it was three hours.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2006, 08:43:53 AM »

I'd certainly classify OVER HERE! as a service musical comedy. I saw it on Broadway and simply loved it. COuldn't understand why such a fun show didn't have a longer run.

I took a "Dance for Musical Theater" class several years ago, and one of the numbers we did was "Charlie's Place." Exhausting number but loads of fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2006, 08:44:37 AM »

DR Vixmom, have you decided WHICH cast recording of MAN OF LA MANCHA you're going to spring for?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »

I was in a "Bye Bye, Birdie" mood all day Saturday....well, all of the day up until I put another DVD into my machine as a prelude to an evening's entertainment.

I SHOULD HAVE started with "Bye Bye Birdie"...yes, indeedy.

But what did I start with?

Oh, foul mood-killer!

"Die! Die! My Darling" destroyed any and every joyous fiber of my Saturday evening being.

It's not that it isn't well-made.  It's not that Tallulah Bankhead isn't magnificent as a scenery-chewing lunatic.

But that lunatic was also a holier-than-thou Biblical-verse-spewing control freak...and who did she control?  Well, Yootha Joyce for one person.

I ask you...did Yootha Joyce DESERVE to play Tallu's housekeeper?

Did Yootha Joyce DESERVE to have such an oaf for a husband?

And did Yootha Joyce MERIT having a fool of a son as played by an impossibly young and foolish-looking Donald Sutherland?

I should say not.

And why am I singling out Yootha Joyce?

I just love her name.  

Yootha!  

Joyce!

Actually, of all the characters, the one who truly irritated me was played by Stefanie Powers.  

Don't get me wrong...I love Stefanie Powers.  I fell in love with her in her "Hart to Hart" days with Robert Wagner.

HERE! She suffers the fate of all terror-movie princesses -- total loss of awareness that things are TERRIBLY WRONG -- at least before it's too late.  She should have left the house after the first five minutes.

If not then, she should have left the house after the "service."  

If not then, she should have left the house when she was ordered to remove her "lipstick."

If not then, she should have left the house when she discovered her dinner had been taken away and she would not get anything to eat.

If not then, she should have left the house the next morning when she was ordered to change out of that demonic "red" sweater.

By that time, I was hoping she'd suffer an immediate and terrible demise...but 'twas not to be.

But here....HERE!  Holy crap!  Here she is this frail creature totally unable to strike any kind of blow for herself, always at the mercy of anyone who comes at her.

She certainly looked healthy enough.

Where was her knee when it needed to be swiftly raised into the crotch of Yootha Joyce's husband?

Where were her fingernails when she could have used them to claw at Yootha Joyce's bullying ways?

Where was her DIGNITY?  Why such a frail, fragile flower in a house dominated by two tough women?

I have to tell you..."Die! Die! My Darling" totally put me off "Bye Bye, Birdie".

And I'm still put off it.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:19:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up