Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 28370 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

No one else thought the book writers' speech was insulting?

Sorry, JRand55, I happen to like Don McKellar's work on SLINGS & ARROWS both as writer and performer, so I just thought he was being funny.  I do admit there was a certain amount of "Toronto rah! rah!" from all the DROWSY CHAPERONE winners, but we've been sending turkeys for years to try out in Toronto, so . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »

I'd love to regalia with stories of my weekend, but I just washed my hair.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 05:46:02 AM »

Oh--now I remember the DROWSEY CHAPERONE's book writers' speech.  Don McKellar signed off with something to the effect of "Thank you, Broadway, for giving us sixty years of material to make fun of."  Yeah, it was a little off-putting to me, too.  But I find DROWSY CHAPERONE so affectionate that I can overlook that remark.

And I think the "Show Off" number didn't work because it was slightly restaged to include the entire cast--the performers were most probably off their mark most of the time.  And the bad camerawork didn't help either.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 05:52:51 AM »

Harry Connick was certainly off his mark last night.  It couldn't have been nerves--he's played Radio City a number of times.  His voice seemed strained.  He didn't even look well when he was playing the piano.  Very odd, since he is generally a very relaxed and confident performer.

In any case, if they do reopen PAHJAHMAH GAME in the fall, I will get up there to see it, with or without Connick.  But I do want to see Kelli O'Hara--she is Babe.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »

So much for having a day off.  Just got a call, someone isn't coming in and they need me for a full eight hour day...

So the duck will have to wait.

So will watching the Tonys.

Are there spoilers in yesterday's postings?   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 06:12:08 AM »

Unfortunately, Kelli O'Hara won't be with the show if/when it re-opens. All three "names", O'Hara, Connick and Michael McKean, are done when the show closes. If they re-open it using the same staging, as I think George mentioned last night, they will need to find someone who plays the piano for the Hernando's Hideaway number.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 06:12:42 AM »

Heather McRae! I love her. The CD she did in tribute to her father is wonderful.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 06:13:29 AM »

I don't dislike barbeque but I'm not a big fan. If it is presented to me as a meal option I'll eat it but I don't go out my way to find it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 06:14:34 AM »

Good Morning!

...And just over five hours later... I had to get up and move my car... And in about an hour and a half, I shall have to move my car back... And then I suspect I shall be taking a nap sometime today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 06:15:14 AM »

Even though I'm very tired I'm also very glad I signed on last night and got caught up so I only had three pages to get through this morning.

I still have a few dishes to wash from last night but otherwise the apartment is back in pristine condition after a lovely small gathering. We had salmon roulettes, wild rice, green beans, a wonderful spinach and strawberry salad and fresh berries and pumpkin raisin bread for dessert with an assortment of teas and coffee.

Ben

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 06:17:32 AM »

Jose, as mentioned previously, you looked Mah vel ous in your tuxedo.

Also, Abe has already left Roanoke so I won't be meeting him Friday when I get to Mill Mountain.

Anthony won the Tony Pool last night. I helped him fill out his ballot via phone. I was wrong on a couple of things (Christian Hoff, for example) but most of my predictions were correct. I'm very, very glad for La Chanze. As much as I love Sutton Foster, LC absolutely deserved her award. She was magnificent in a problematic show.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2006, 06:20:30 AM »

George, part of the concept of 3 Penny is that MacHeath is "bisexual" It just comes off as trashy and silly IMHO. The "F" word mentioned by Michael Shayne this morning is part of the new translation by the, again IMHO, highly overated Wallace Shawn. The script and lyrics are full of vulgar phrases and you want to take a shower after seeing the show. I stress that this is just my opinion because I know that Fred (FJL) has a much different opinion and I truly respect that. FJL is an intelligent and lucid commentator on theatre and I don't want to discount his opinions or feelings. It's the old Horse Race thing we've talked about before.

Ben

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:19 AM »

And now since I've spent too much of my employer's time at a non-work related site, I must get back to the AT&T Foundation.

Later, gaters!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 06:27:53 AM »

Unfortunately, Kelli O'Hara won't be with the show if/when it re-opens. All three "names", O'Hara, Connick and Michael McKean, are done when the show closes. If they re-open it using the same staging, as I think George mentioned last night, they will need to find someone who plays the piano for the Hernando's Hideaway number.

Oh, darn!  No Kelli as Babe for me, then.

As for Sid, what if the producers keep stunt casting the role with other well-known instrumentalists?  Imagine subsequent Sids portrayed by the likes of Chris Botti, John Tesh and Yanni, each doing their specialty during "Hernando's Hideaway".

What was the name of that guy who played the zither?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:06:43 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 06:28:46 AM »

Wow, it looks like i have more than 15 pages to catch up on!

Here is a funny story re: the Tonys last night.

At around 9pm my sister called to give little megan's review of the show (8 months old).

She did not like Harry Connick's opening.  She liked the Drowsy Chaperone number. She did not like Jersey boys.

But here is the funniest part. She was mesmerized by the Sweeney Todd performance.  They kept trying to turn her away from the tv. But she would not let them. She wanted some Sweeney!  

Ha, I love it. A sondheim fan at 8 months! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 06:32:05 AM »

As for Barbecue, BBQ, etc...

I'm partial to North Carolina Style Chopped Pork BBQ which is basically a smoked pork shoulder with a red pepper-vinegar sauce - no tomato in sight.  The Bill's Barbecue chain in Richmond does it well.  However...

Memphis-style ribs - "dry" and "wet" - from Rendevous in Memphis.

http://www.hogsfly.com

Memphis-style pulled pork bbq from Corky's - also in Memphis.

http://www.corkysbbq.com

Cuban-style beef ribs from Kuba-Kuba in Richmond, VA.

Etc., etc., etc...

Even the Filipino ihaw-ihaw is pretty darn tasty when done right.  It's basically some simply marinated meats - usually in vinegar and/or soy sauce and black pepper - simply grilled.

Oh... and I've tried a couple of the BBQ places here in NYC, and, so far, so good... Dallas BBQ, Virgil's, Spanky's, Texas BBQ & Rotisserie, Sawa (which is run by a Chinese man who fell in love with bbq a couple of years ago, and recently opened a small storefront on 9th Ave.), RUB (Righteous Urban Barbecue), etc...

And the mustard-based sauce beef ribs at Carlyle in Arlington, VA, as most definitely finger-licking-good!  -Although, their allure could be influenced by the accompanying macaroni and cheese.  ;)

Carlyle
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 06:38:05 AM »

And now, back to the Tonys...

I was sort of surprised there was not some kind of "reaction" to Julia Roberts' comment, "You guys are insanely talented..."  -That was definitely a place where some uncomfortable laughter could have come into play.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »

And it truly was a star-filled evening...

In my section alone - which happened to be a very good seat when all was said and done - I was seated in the midst of the casts of The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Jersey Boys, The Color Purple...

I was just seats away from Brian D'Arcy James - talk about looking spiffy in a tux! - Martha Plimpton, Adam Feldman (the critic)... And since I was off the center aisle, I was able to catch everyone going up and down the aisles as they made the rotation backstage for their excerpts or presentations.

*And I had no idea just how crazy the whole seat-filler process is... And just how crazy some of those seat-fillers are too!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 06:55:05 AM »

Okay, DR ELMORE....I didn't say I didn't like him....just thought his speech was put down....as explained by DR DtM....but of course you are correct...Toronto has seen more than its share of US Damaged Goods.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »

And now, back to the Tonys...

I was sort of surprised there was not some kind of "reaction" to Julia Roberts' comment, "You guys are insanely talented..."  -That was definitely a place where some uncomfortable laughter could have come into play.

Reaction to ANYTHING Julia Roberts says (or memorizes) is best left to Entertainment Hollywood Access Extra People Report.  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2006, 07:03:28 AM »

And as for the "orchestra"... I'm sure there had to be some sort of cueing system for everyone on stage - maybe there were some monitors set up in the middle "island" facing the stage.  However, I had some friends who were in the Hal Prince tableau (giggle, giggle), and they didn't spot any live musicians backstage.  Hmm...

However...  I do have to wonder where the musicians were located.  After the strike this past Christmas season, I seriously doubt that Radio City Music Hall would resort to canned music.   But maybe because this was an Awards show and not a show-show...  Anyone have other insights or information?

*I'm just a bit too groggy-headed to come up with the proper Google terms.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »

My goodness you peopel WERE chatty last night!

I have 19 pages to catch up or ketchup on!

Jose you look very handsome in your tux!! It suits you very well, I expect you to wear that for our next HHW tour!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 07:10:05 AM »

I have to read last nights posts because I am sure this was mentioned... no one reminded Hal Prince to take his glasses off the top of his head?  He looked ridiculous.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »

I have to read last nights posts because I am sure this was mentioned... no one reminded Hal Prince to take his glasses off the top of his head?  He looked ridiculous.

Mr. Prince has worn his glasses on the top of his head for years and years and years and years and years and years (you get the point). If he had not had the glasses on the top of his head I would have been surprised  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2006, 07:13:31 AM »

Jose, what an exciting time you must have had last night!!!! And I love the photo of you holding the playbill! That would make a lovely avatar!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2006, 07:16:13 AM »

Hal Prince always has his glasses on his head.  But I guess over the years, his head has shrunk and his perscription has been calling for thicker lenses.  

His thank you speech was pretty lackadaisickle.  It sounded like he won the People's Choice Award.

And what did Best Scenic Design for a Play award winner Bob Crowley mean when he said, "I should have won for the other show."  Was this another John Napier sour grapes moment?
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2006, 07:16:19 AM »

I missed the first half hour of the Tony's and the last hour, but what I saw was a lot of fun, for me!

The best part was Patricia Neal..she was very funny! And Janis Paige...wowee!

I think I would enjoy seeing JERSEY BOYS...I missed anything to do with DROWSY CHAPERONE...will have to catch up with the rest of the show later this week...and then figure out how to burn it onto DVD from my DVR for DR Tomovoz!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2006, 07:17:23 AM »

Good morning all.

Jose thanks for all of the first person commentary, and might I say that you looked quite spiffy in your tux.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »

Jose - how beautifully elegant you look in your tux!!

Yes, Hal Prince wears his glasses on top of his head - it's pretty much a trademark now.

Bruce - the poster looks so lovely - but... are Susan Egan's show and Linda Purl's show REALLY going to be on the same nights?? You have them both listed for July 14 and 15... hope the poster isn't printed, yet.
PennyO

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:05 AM »

Rodzinski made the same comment during the show!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up