Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF  (Read 30168 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 04:05:31 AM »

And now, to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 04:06:02 AM »

In addition, off to page two!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 05:03:54 AM »

Good morning, all!  A special howdy to DRs Danise, Tomovoz, and Evil Woody!  I had a lovely evening at Tony Walton's and came home a bit tipsy.  The gathering was large, mostly THE BOYFRIEND cast, with a few WHERE'S CHARLEY? folk: Noah Racey, Nili Bassman, Colette, Mary, and my new sitcom friend Josh.  Tony's wonderful wife Gen made fantastic lasagna (meat and vegetarian, both excellent) and the crowd was lively and fun.  I saw Sean Palmer, who played Sanford's boyfriend Marcus on SEX & THE CITY, but didn't get to speak to him.

Today, more Toyland piano reductions, then NYPL.

DRDanise, let us know if the hurrican alert is threatening your area!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 05:07:40 AM »

Hello DR Elmore.  Enjoy your marching around in Toyland.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 05:31:15 AM »

Hello DR Elmore.  Enjoy your marching around in Toyland.

Thanks, dear friend!  

DRBen, when you next speak to Anthony, tell him I saw the lovely Lisa Shriver at Tony's party, and she and her Brian married several weeks ago.  I told her at Goodspeed in 2004 that Brian was a keeper, so it's nice to know my advice is occasionally listened to.  She told me to send Anthony her love.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:26 AM »

TOD:

My favorite Williams' play will always be THE GLASS MENAGERIE.  I can't think of any other play that displays the fragility of the human heart as well as this work does.  My heart breaks every time I see or read it.  "Blow out your candle, Laura.  And so, good-bye." gets me every time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 05:55:22 AM »

My favorite play by Tennessee Ernie Ford Williams is LONG TAIL CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF FULL OF ROCKING CHAIRS.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 06:11:15 AM »

Decision vibes for vixmom!

Vibes to Callie and Cilla as well!

Ben

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 06:25:38 AM »

Larry, thanks for the Lisa update. Anthony will be very happy to hear the news.

My favorite Tennessee Williams play is also Glass Menagerie. I happened on it in high school and used Tom's final monolouge ("I didn't go to the moon, I went much further") as an audition piece for a while (little did I know that every other young actor in the world used the piece as well). It was, therefore, a huge disappointment to see last season's revival of this achingly beautiful play.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 07:04:20 AM »

I went for my early morning walk. Weatherbug is warning me that it is supposed to be hot today. Big surprise.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 07:22:25 AM »

Good morning!

It's very cool here after another storm last night. I just LOVE this, but it is going to get hot again this afternoon, so I'm cooling the house down as best I can right now.

Still have managed to keep the A/C off thus far this year. But my luck can't last forever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 07:24:06 AM »

Sean Palmer was a total hottie. I hope he's retained his "hotness."

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 07:28:31 AM »

Favorite Williams play is CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF. Ever since I first read it, it's always ranked at the top. And I prefer the revised Act III to the original one. I do think it's more effective for Big Daddy to come back on stage in the third act. The movie version, which was superbly cast, can't hold a candle to the stage play, but it's not the movie's fault. Censorship at the time didn't allow it to be what it could have been.

As for my favorite filmed version, I'd have to pick ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE, Williams' reworking of SUMMER AND SMOKE which I think is far superior to the original play. Blythe Danner gives a truly great performance in this filmed play.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 07:28:34 AM »

Well...and I have read EVERY single one of the 7000 posts, DR RLP.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2006, 07:29:06 AM »

Would it not be a nightmare to be busted in the buccinator?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »

Good morning everyone!  Health vibes for Miss Callie the cat.  I hope that the visit to the vet goes well.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »

I should be DVDing it for a majority of the afternoon and evening. I will watch one more Poirot hour mystery since it's cued up in the player already.

Then, on to I WAKE UP SCREAMING. If I get some DVDs in the mail today, I may watch one of those. If not, I still have ENTOURAGE from Sunday night to watch and NIGHT OF THE IGUANA which I recorded off TCM last night. I didn't buy it when it was recently released because I don't remember thinking the film was great enough to be replayed very often, but I may change my mind after seeing it again. It's been a long time since I first viewed it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2006, 07:33:22 AM »

Well MR BK - I do not know which sites you searched on for information about Miss Carole Landis (who was in Hal Roach's One Million Years B.C.) - but she worked closely with Miss Jacqueline Susann on a play they were writing in the early 1940's - toured in stock with it, I think - and Jackie fell in love with Carole.  Carole had a colorful marital and extra-marital history, as you probably discovered.

Miss Susann later said that although MOST people think that the character of Jennifer in VD was mostly based on Marilyn Monroe....that indeed Jennifer's sweet personality and tragic death was inspired by her close friend (and lover) Miss Carole Landis.

A famous married actor was rumored to be responsible for her suicide when he spurned her for a holiday weekend with his wife who was coming into town, although he stopped by a found a shocking scene at her beach house.

Sad sad sad.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2006, 07:33:53 AM »

DR SWW- I totally agree with your comments regarding customer service.  In the various customer service/sales positons I've worked through the years, I always had the basic understanding that my job was to serve the customer.  And I too took pleasure in helping someone and getting their appreciation back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »

I will join the club and add THE GLASS MENAGERIE as my favorite Mr Tennessee Williams play.

Amanda's stories about her girlhood....the telephone call to sell magazines....and just yesterday I was thinking about her line to Laura when the buzzer rang and Laura was immobilized:

"Why...why have you chosen this moment to lose your mind?"

"Deception....deception....deception....."

And of course the aforementioned final monolog:  "But I could not escape...blow out your candles, Laura.  And so....goodbye."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2006, 07:37:36 AM »

The famous CAT is another favorite as is the movie version of 27 WAGONS OF COTTON, aka BABY DOLL!!!

"It was the punch bowl....the cut glass punch bowl....."

"You promised my daddy you would take care of me....my daddy was the manager of the King Hotel....."

"Well I cain't type, but I write a nice hand."

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:20 AM »

TOD: My favorite Tennesse Williams play is The Glass Menagerie.  I played Laura in it during my senior year in high school and although I had been doing theater for years leading up to it, it was my first major dramatic lead role and I worked very hard.  Sounds cheesy, but I always felt like it was my first time really "acting" and being in the moment.

One of my favorite moments within that play was the scene with Laura and Tom out on the balcony when he is stumbling home late- I always have liked the connection and emotion between them in that scene.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »

What a story DRSWW....I sympathize with you....

Yup everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2006, 07:40:13 AM »

TOD: My favorite Tennesse Williams play is The Glass Menagerie.  I played Laura in it during my senior year in high school and although I had been doing theater for years leading up to it, it was my first major dramatic lead role and I worked very hard.  Sounds cheesy, but I always felt like it was my first time really "acting" and being in the moment.

One of my favorite moments within that play was the scene with Laura and Tom out on the balcony when he is stumbling home late- I always have liked the connection and emotion between them in that scene.

I bet you made a lovely Laura, DR TPUNK.  Yes, another wonderful scene.

Malvolio....the magician.....how do you get out of a box that's nailed shut?  8)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2006, 07:41:18 AM »

I like the original film of Streetcar with Marlon Brando, but the first film of it I ever saw was a TV version with Treat Williams, Ann-Margaret, and Beverly D'Angelo who I all love.  I thought that was pretty good, and since it was the first version I ever saw, it will always stick out for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2006, 07:42:57 AM »

Thanks JRand.  I'd forgotten about that line.  I think that's one of the reasons I like all of Williams's plays so much.  I can always feel how much of him is present in each of his characters and their struggles.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:53 AM »

Has anyone ever seen Christopher Durang's FOR WHOM THE SOUTHERN BELLE TOLLS?  Very funny take-off on GLASS MANAGERIE.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2006, 08:10:36 AM »

Those of you who love THE GLASS MENAGERIE. What do you think of the various filmed versions:

Gertrude Lawrence?

Shirley Booth?

Katharine Hepburn?

Joanne Woodward?

FJL

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2006, 08:11:58 AM »

From the STREETCAR NAMED MARGE episode of THE SIMPSONS:

Blanche: Whoever you are,
        I have always depended on the kindness of strangers...

[begin song]

Chorus:
      You can always depend on the kindness of strangers
      To pluck up your spirits, and shield you from dangers.

Blanche:
      Now here's a tip from Blanche you won't regret.

Chorus:
      A stranger's just a friend you haven't met.
      You ha-ven't met...
      Streetcar!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:14 AM »

Off to sit on the side porch and do a little reading before starting on lunch preparation.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up