Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF  (Read 30030 times)

Cillaliz

Re:CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »

DR PennyO - no I don't have plutoniom, but my old house had lots of Radon. The vet said that wouldn't have anything to do with it, but who knows. Callie is at the vet getting fluids.  She was not at all amused about going there again today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2006, 08:36:19 AM »

Speaking of fluids, my sister over did it in the heat yesterday (she's in Joplin, MO).  When she wants to burn off some energy she goes out and mows with the push mower (not something you'd find me doing)  She got it really bad.  She came in side, passed out and hit her head. Her husband and son tried to take her to the hospital, but she kept passing out so they called an ambulance.   From the way she describes it, it was ugly and I'm glad I wasn't there to see it.  She's doing ok today. Still a little out of it, but she'll be fine  

So, if it's hot where you are, be careful and drink lots of fluids.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:36:45 AM by Cillaliz »

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2006, 08:38:03 AM »

Hmm...I have seen all the aforementioned Tennessee Willliams plays/movies (except STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE) but I can't say that they left any kind of impression on me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »

TOD - Hmm, probably STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.   I can't say a particular moment, although Marlon Brando screaming STELLA! is always the first thing I think of when I think of STREETCAR.

I like CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF a lot, too.  I saw it at the Guthrie when I was in high school and that stuck with me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2006, 08:44:40 AM »

I am trying to finally get the house unpacked. I unpacked 10 boxes in the last two days. I just hate doing this, but I know I will be very happy when it's finally done.   I was just going to haul them to the basement, but that doesn't really help anything, so I'm trying to put everything away as I open the boxes.  I must admit it is fun to see some of the things I packed at the lake last year and forgot about.  But good heavens....I need more shelves!

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2006, 08:45:51 AM »

VIBES TO VIXMOM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »

Stay dry and safe vibes to Danise~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2006, 08:47:02 AM »

Helpful Smile in Every Aisle Vibes to SWoody~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »

I am feeling the need to have Dame Edna return to San Francisco in a show.

It's been too long an absence since her last visit.

My aching buccinators weren't the same for a whole week after the show I saw.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2006, 09:09:22 AM »

All our local PBS stations are having membership drives (three or four of them have recently "merged" and will share resources while retaining their individual identities).

On KQED last night, they were drumming up pledges by showing "Broadway: The Golden Years" (IIRC), and they had the guy who made the film as guest host.

Lots of interviews with loads of names, past and present (of course, those past "were" present when he interviewed them).

One segment of it dealt with a common experience most of them had shared as young actors in NYC in the late 1940s.  They had all seen -- many, many times -- and been totally blown away/influenced (for their entire careers) by -- Laurette Taylor's Amanda in "The Glass Menagerie".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2006, 09:09:34 AM »

Despite my lack of Tennessee William's enjoyment I wouldn't want anyone to think I am totally lacking in any culture...I am now listening to Frank Stallone's new CD SONGS FROM THE SADDLE.

Ok, maybe it is kulture. But I like it.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2006, 09:42:06 AM »

Tuesday greetings!

Remember me?  My weekend road trip with my mom was fun, but exhausting.  Thursday I drove her to the new home of my niece in Normal, IL.  Friday morning I drove up to Naperville/Lisle, west of Chicago, to attend the Great Lakes Regional Conference of the American Association of University Women.  The hotel where I met my Middletown friends had a business center where they charged $5 for 15 minutes of internet use >:(.  I must get a laptop!

When the conference was over Sunday, I got back to my niece's in time for the Tony partay she and my mom had prepared.  Laura (my niece who was with me in NYC for Jewish Thighs on Broadway) had downloaded and duplicated ballots on which we could mark our predictions and the winners.  Drawing on the wisdom I'd gained here at HHW, I picked the winners in 10 categories.  Not bad for not having seen any of the shows myself!  We drank margaritas and ate shrimp, taco dip, clam dip, cheese and crackers, and mini cream puffs.  My mom loves doing stuff like that with her girls - the only one missing was my sister (Laura's mom), with whom we talked on the phone during the partay.

Mother and I took Laura out for a birthday breakfast Monday, shopped at the Beer Nuts factory store, and headed back to Ohio.  All in all, I drove 920 miles in 5 days
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2006, 09:47:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  And have been so since eight, but I had a plethora of e-mails to answer, and the phone keeps ringing.

Those who've read Kritzer Time know that both Benjamin and myself did The Glass Menagerie in high school.  We both played Tom.  I love the play still.  The best version I ever saw was at the Huntington Hartford in the late 60s - with Ann Southern, Ben Piazza, Piper Laurie, and James Olson.  It was terrific, and Miss Southern was amazing.

Glad I didn't pick up the Doris Day set - its producer wrote me and said he's sending me one.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »

TOD - The movie versions of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Night of the Iguana are some of the first "grown-up" things I remember seeing.  As for Streetcar, I was director's assistant for a community theatre production many years ago.  Our Stella was having marital problems (in real life) and the director (NOT DR Elmore, of course) asked me 3 days before opening to learn the part, just in case the actress he'd cast could not go on.  Talk about cramming!  Then, at the cast party, I overheard said director telling someone else that she'd been his strong second choice for Stella.  I wanted to ask why he hadn't asked that person to learn the part in 48 hours.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »

Oh decisions, decisions!

Well, personally, I think vixdad seems like a great guy, and I would hate to see you leave him on a whim.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »

HI everyone.  Just wanted to pop in and let you know that we are alright.  A bunch of rain but no damage.  

Thank you for the vibes.

I can't carry the laptop because of all the rain.  I don't want it to get wet.  

Gotta scoot but I promise I will try to post tonight.

Danise, I am so glad to know that you and your Mother are okay.  You both have been in my thoughts and prayers.
“One thing’s universal,

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2006, 10:30:50 AM »

Hiya, folks! It's raining here. Again. Sheesh, I'm real tired of it. Perhaps it's a plot to ease me into re-location to southern California? I know the cloudy, drizzly weather makes it fairly easy to leave this little paradise. Anyone wanna buy a great little cabin in the woods? Comes with tame birds and lotsa raccoons...

Continued healing wishes for our TCB. Vibe-age for all in need...

Yes - GLASS MENAGERIE - first saw it with Ben Kritzer in the Tom role, and Delores JiJi as Amanda. I think it was my first Tennessee W. - and I was enthralled. Whatta play. It will live for centuries.

When I grow up, I'd like to play Amanda. I may actually be too old, now... oh, well...

I am hard at work on my interview presentation. I have ASSASSINS in there - I probably ought to have an alternate for that one! Something American as Apple Pie, with limited set requirements, and small-ish cast. Got ideas?
PennyO

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2006, 10:42:02 AM »

I have never seen a porduction of "The Glass Menagerie"  We read it in high school and the dreadful dry teacher sucked every bit of emotion and pathos and hope out it until I dreaded the thought of it.  :P I really should revisit it

I saw "Night of the Iguana" at the Circle in the Square (I think or was it the Roundabout?) with Richard Chamberlein

(what? you didn't know we used to be an item?) ;D

and I was very touched by that.  I have enjoyed several community productiona of "Streetcar" but have somehow I have never seen the film version with Marlon Brando  ???

My favoriter lines from the Simpson's musical version of Streetcar

Ned Flanders (as Stanley): "Stella!  Can't you hear me yell-a!"

Marge Simpson' "Stanley! You're so manly!"
;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:44:29 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2006, 10:42:19 AM »

I am hard at work on my interview presentation. I have ASSASSINS in there - I probably ought to have an alternate for that one! Something American as Apple Pie, with limited set requirements, and small-ish cast. Got ideas?

My choice would still be I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »

DR PennyO - Quilters - book by Molly Newman and Barbara Damashek, music & lyrics by Barbara Damashek.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:51:37 AM by Ginny »

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »

Well, personally, I think vixdad seems like a great guy, and I would hate to see you leave him on a whim.

:D :-*

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2006, 10:51:23 AM »

Ginny

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

DR Vixmom - LOL!  And vibes for your decision-making...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2006, 10:55:47 AM »

TINTYPES.  And you could probably do it in repertory with ASSASSINS and reuse the costumes and set.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:57:48 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »

My choice would still be I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE.

Actually, that would not be my choice for favorite (or favourite)  Tennessee Williams play; but rather for Penny to use as an alternate.

As for my favorite Tennessee:  CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2006, 11:02:55 AM »

Ignore the politics and enjoy the satire:

A Message from John Cleese (of Monty Python) to the citizens of the United States of America:

"In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.  Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical  duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories excepting Kansas,  which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to
determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You  will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and
'neighbour. Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix 'ize' will be replaced by the suffix 'ise'. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up vocabulary).

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize. You will relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen."

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns,
lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to  sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for  your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

8. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

9. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol which you have been calling gasoline - roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French
fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

11. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

12. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to  having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

13. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby, (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to
host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 21% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable.

15. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

16. An internal revenue agent  (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's  Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

17. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 PM with proper cups, never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; strawberries in season.

Thank you for your co-operation"

der Brucer (looking foreward to Daisy Tits for dinner)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:01 AM »

Back from my jog - much easier today.

I would not have Assassins in the proposal.  Start with a "safer" season.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2006, 11:16:10 AM »

On last evening's "The Closer", Elmore's friend Kevin Kilner gave an Emmy worthy performance!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

Just finished listening to THE DROWSY CHAPERONE OCR.  Unlike a lot of cast recordings of recent years, it doesn't give away all of the show's funniest moments.  But it is still a terrifically fun recording.  I'll be giving this one a lot of repeat plays.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

Good morning!  Good Afternoon!

-Weird internet connection issues here this morning...  I would get in an initial connection, and then that would be it.  However, it looks like whatever was happening has stopped happening.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up