Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 20695 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EVELYN WOOD
« on: December 10, 2003, 12:02:43 AM »

Well, you've sped through the notes and you know what to do, so speed away in your Speedos whilst keeping your libidos in check or, at the very least, in Czech.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 12:03:52 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 12:06:26 AM »

In honour of the birthday of MBarnum the following is offered. There is a connection.
Happy birthday Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:42:50 AM »

Good morning all!  We finely warmed up -- It's 66 degrees right now at 6:39 AM. YAY.  The bad part is we have another front (never a back) coming.  It will rain this afternoon and turn cooler (ie COLD) by tonight and the rest of the week. :( :'(

Talk to ya'll tonight when I get home.

Be safe and happy, posters and lurkers.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:31:45 AM »

Wow...only two posts...come ON, we can do better than THIS!

MBarnum: OOOOOOOOOOH, Happy happy birthday! Be happy, don't be blue! Happy happy birthday, may all your dreams come truuuuuuue!

BK: Tell us a story, please?

Today is the last day of rehearsal before our choir concert. I'm probably going to be at school for a while...hmpf. Hopefully the internet will be up when I get home.

Kitty is crying at the door, so I must go. Hope you all have LOVELY days, especially YOU, MBarnum!
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 04:47:32 AM »

I have just found out of the death of someone very close to me.

This person was always there for me when I was frazzled or going crazy. They'd straighten me out in an instant, never being too harsh or hot headed. I saw this person almost every day of my life, and they've never failed to make me happy for the rest of the day.

So, with deep sorrow, I'd like to say goodbye to my hair straightener.

*sob*
...Walk in the sunshine...

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 04:48:50 AM »

Have a great day today
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 05:49:37 AM »

Yesterday, Jennifer wrote:

Just one thing about shows on Broadway. I know you will have your heart set on seeing certain performers. But some of them miss often. So just don't be too disappointed.

Huh?  Where do you get your information?

There's a word for Broadway performers who miss their performances.  And that word is fired.

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 06:12:28 AM »

Didn't Evelyn Woods become famous because JFK announced he was a graduate or her speed reading course.

Noel---
Years ago performers who missed performances regularly were fired.  That's not the case today.  Look at Nathan and Matthew in THE PRODUCERS where by the end of their initial run the average was one out of eight performances when they would both appear.  Look at Kristen Chenowith who is taking a week off in May to do CANDIDE with the N Y Philharmonic.  When I bought my tickets to NOISES OFF there was a list at the box office of dates Patti LuPone would not be appearing.  And on Donald's show he said Hunter Foster was out of LITTLE SHOP the night he saw it.  While some stars like Harvey Fierstein make it a point not to miss a performance, the sad fact today is that almost any time you go to the theatre --- at least for a musical --- you're likely to find an understudy or two going on.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 07:03:49 AM »

Yesterday, Jennifer wrote:Huh?  Where do you get your information?

There's a word for Broadway performers who miss their performances.  And that word is fired.

DR WEL pretty much summarized what I meant.  I am usually pretty lucky. But if you have your heart set on seeing a certain performer (usually the star), then just be aware that it is POSSIBLE that they won't be there when you go.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 07:09:34 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR MBarnum!!!!!!

And for DR Andrea: If you want to go to the Met, then make sure you do!  But re: broadway prices, unless you happen to do the lottery, chances are your tickets will not be cheap.  Maybe check out standing room only tickets (and then if there are empty seats you can move down).  Tickets will probably cost at least $50 US (and that is for seats in the balcony).  Just remember how much DR Emily loves theatre and encourage her to go alone (if you guys decide not to go).  But if you can you should think about it. To me, seeing a Broadway show has a certain magic to it. And if you've never been, I think you might be surprised at much you like it.

Diane

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday Michael[/move]
Swishy: My deep sympathys for the loss of your hair straightener. I can assure you she has gone to the place where all good hair care appliances go.

A question to all DR's: What is your favorite candy?

I'm quite partial to Reeces Peanut Butter Holiday, Trees, Pumpkins, Hearts and Eggs
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 07:10:57 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 07:12:33 AM »

The new revival of Wonderful Town (with Donna Murphy) will be recorded. Yeah!

http://web.playbill.com/news/article/83227.html

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 07:15:35 AM »

DR Diane: I love candy :(

But I am now on Day 3 of the Atkins induction diet and exercise plan. So no candy for me.  I actually feel so good. Getting all that crap out of my body feels wonderful.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 07:20:29 AM »

Happy Birthday MBARNUM:  

Look it's the singing birthday M+Ms:  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 07:22:30 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to Dear Reader and Friend MBarnum[/move]

DR Michael Shayne, I LOVE your birthday greetings to DR MB. I WISH I could be as creative and clever as that!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 07:25:18 AM »

I remember the short infomercials on TV about Evelyn Wood speed reading, and I was always amazed how they would wiggle their fingers down pages almost as quick as you could slide you own finger down a page, and know exactly what was on it. I also remember seeing some of their students appear on shows like The Tonight Show and have a book selected at random, give them a minute to do their thing, and then be quizzed on the book afterward. It was always an amazing demonstration.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 07:25:50 AM »

Jennifer: Lots of luck on your diet! ;D Love the M & M's!

Noel: They should be fired! Considering there are lots of other actors out there who wouldnt take off for every little thing. :P
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 07:28:27 AM »

For Ask BK Day: Did you see the list of DVD awards your group presented and did any strike you as surprising? For me, I was most surprised that the documentary on the WEST SIDE STORY Special Edition beat out the making-of features on things like LORD OF THE RINGS: Extended Edition or THE ALIEN QUADRILOGY which were much more extensive and completist documentaries about those respective films.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 07:30:06 AM »

DR Diane, you and I have the same taste. I LOVE the times of year that Reece's puts out their specialty candies in different shapes. Somehow to me, the Eggs are the best, just the right combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Boy, can I get sick wolfing down packs of those!

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 07:30:41 AM »

Thank you all for the birthday wishes, and to Michael Shayne for the wonderful picture and to Tom for the Singing Nun photo..of which I am sure there is a connection, but I haven't figured it out yet...hmmm...I love a mystery! LOL!

At approximately 2:30 this afternoon I turn 40 years old! Argh!

Jennifer, you can't be on a diet, cause I have picked up a big bag of peanut butter M&Ms for to mail to you!!!! I have been trying to find some of those special reeses pb cups with the pb on the outside but the store that had them is all out. It was a promotion and they don't know if they will get anymore.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 07:36:39 AM »

Good morning dear readers;   Firstly, and of utmost and somber importance.. (tah ta-ta tuh....fanfare...)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:D  ::) HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL BARNUM  :o  :D[/move]

May your day be filled with Guy Madison, George Nader, Ty Hardin, Gregory Harrison, and Christopher Meloni, all bringing you treats and massaging your temples.....or massaging you in a temple....or watching Shirley Temple in a massage parlor....or....

Well, it's your birthday, so it's your choice!!

May you have cake, and warm hugs.

MusicGuy

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 07:38:08 AM »

Michael B --  .....or maybe you could all give each other an "Evelyn Wood speed massage"....but then, who'd want to hurry????

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 07:40:28 AM »

Jennifer: Lots of luck on your diet! ;D Love the M & M's!

Thanks, I exercise a lot during the summer. But since then I have been eating too much and not exercising.

I'm doing the Windsor pilates video. Has anyone ever heard of this? I've had it for months. But last time I started it, I was having stomach problems. And it really stretches your stomach muscles. So I had to stop.

Right now though I'm having trouble finding a comfortable mat to work on. Anyone else exercise at home? What do you use?

MusicGuy

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 07:43:51 AM »

Dear esteemed, swift, fleet, speedy, supersonic BK --

Is the very real, actual house that Benjamin really, actually lived in still standing?  I assume the area south of Wilshire and west of Fairfax?  A posted snapshot sometime here, for all us DRs to peruse I'm sure would be most enjoyed.

Of course we would speed-see it, so it would only take about 1/10 of a second.

In fact, I typed this so fast, that during the last part of this sentence my body is already out in the kitchen getting some more coffee...

Whooooooshh ......

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 07:46:17 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR MBarnum!

Tom from Oz - Great SINGING NUN photo. Reminds me of a Debbie Reynolds story... I really admire her - aside from SINGING IN THE RAIN and all the other terrific films she's done, I admire her as a Survivor. She just keeps going, no matter what. (She was TOTALLY broke a number of years ago. I don't know if it's true, but I've heard she lived out of her car for for a while.)
 A couple of years ago I wrote a Showtime film that she was in (she was wonderful - got an Emmy nomination) and we had a few really good talks about life, men, bad choices, etc. I have a lovely photo of the two of us, she in a bathrobe, sitting on the porch of a house where we were shooting - but I have no scanner, so you'll just have to take my word for how cute it is. Anyway, the point of all this is to relate the ultimate show business moment. There was one endless day shooting in a high school football field where Debbie was supposed to be watching in the stands as her grandson played football. The extras sitting around her were bored and tired and she was probably exhausted. I was doing something in another part of the field when I heard applause and laughter. Went over and discovered that between takes, Debbie would stand up, turn around and start doing her nightclub act for the extras! She was doing imitations, shtick, you name it. And, of course, the thoroughly intimidated AD was afraid to interrupt her, so he'd wait for her to finish whatever she was doing before saying, "We're ready, Miss Reynolds." Then she'd sit down, do her scene. The minute the director yelled "Cut!" she'd turn around, stand up and continue her act for the extras. That's a performer!

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 07:46:26 AM »

Jennifer, you can't be on a diet, cause I have picked up a big bag of peanut butter M&Ms for to mail to you!!!! I have been trying to find some of those special reeses pb cups with the pb on the outside but the store that had them is all out. It was a promotion and they don't know if they will get anymore.

Okay then the diet is off :)

I will eat them don't worry. It will just have to wait till the 2 weeks are over.

So they were a promotion. Interesting. Did you tell them they should have told you this so you could have bought more for yourself :)

steveg

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 07:49:16 AM »

Regarding "Average Joe" that was discussed yesterday, I heard from two sources, that she has been seeing the obnoxious Zach since the show completed taping.  The whole thing is such a farce.  Adam is lucky he wasn't picked.  At least he has been able to move on with his life and, according to what he said on the Today show yesterday, is seeing someone. Being the nice person he appeared to be, I'm sure he's much better off since I'm sure that had he been the one picked, it would not have led to any lasting relationship anyway.  The trip he would have won, he can afford to do on his own $.  

We saw Simon (not the dead one) and Garfunkle at the Meadowlands Sunday night.  A great show for those of us at a certain age.  Garfunkle's voice is not quite as good as it used to be, but that didn't affect their overall performance as a duo.  The Everly Brothers also appeared mid-show for several songs.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 07:52:58 AM »

So they were a promotion. Interesting. Did you tell them they should have told you this so you could have bought more for yourself :)

Well....um....actually....I bought some of the reeses cups for you...but...um...I ate them  :-\

But I thought there would be more available!!!! LOL!

Wow, MusicGuy...what a fine line-up of massage men! Nader and Madison woohoo! And that Meloni...wow! And Hardin too...he actually lives not far from me!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 07:53:49 AM »

Regarding "Average Joe" that was discussed yesterday, I heard from two sources, that she has been seeing the obnoxious Zach since the show completed taping.  The whole thing is such a farce.  Adam is lucky he wasn't picked.  At least he has been able to move on with his life and, according to what he said on the Today show yesterday, is seeing someone. Being the nice person he appeared to be, I'm sure he's much better off since I'm sure that had he been the one picked, it would not have led to any lasting relationship anyway.  The trip he would have won, he can afford to do on his own $.  

I'm wondering if most of these shows aren't scams, since they don't let the couples see each other for many months between taping and the show airing.

She was on Jay Leno last night with Jason (the guy she chose). And they seemed very happy. Although a few things she said made me cringe.

Hey would you mind emailing me what those sources are. I am very curious. THANK YOU.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 07:56:08 AM »

Well....um....actually....I bought some of the reeses cups for you...but...um...I ate them  :-\

But I thought there would be more available!!!! LOL!

OMG, I think we must be twins separated at birth.  I had a box waiting for a friend, and I bought chocolate. And kept eating it too. It is hard to resist ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up