Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG SLEEP  (Read 21123 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE BIG SLEEP
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »

I watched three items of interest this afternoon.

First up was the program of Vitaphone shorts which I mentioned in a post earlier today. I am SO glad I got to see these, the first sound short subjects produced by the Vitaphone Corporation for viewing by the public.

Since these were to be prestege items, there was a definite emphasis on classical music. The NY Philharmonic playing Wagner, stars from the Metropolitan Opera performing (Marion Talley, Giovanni Martinelli, and Anna Case) in separate numbers, violinists Mischa Elman and Efram Zimbalist in separate numbers, and one novelty act: Roy Smeck playing a variety of stringed instruments and harmonica.

Reading about the premiere, it was these shorts rather than Barrymore's DON JUAN that were the real sensation of the evening and pretty much made Warner Bros.' mind up about making a feature film which would incorporate a musical score, singing, and talking. (There was another set of shorts paired with Sydney Chaplin's THE BETTER OLE which cinched the deal since Al Jolson sang three numbers in one of those shorts that proved his on-camera charisma to the Warner brothers.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »

Page Three Chicken Little Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »

Next, I watched SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY, a Betty Grable movie I recorded this morning off one of the HBO channels. Obviously, this movie is ready for a DVD transfer as the picture was very sharp and extremely rich in color. I'm guessing this will be included in the next Grable package, provided the last one sold well. I haven't read anything about how that last boxed set of her films sold.

It's a typical Fox 40s musical (1943, to be exact) with Betty in plenty of outfits that show off her figure and legs. Odd that Robert Young was borrowed from MGM to be her leading man. I guess by this time, her usual leading men must have been in the service. She also does one dance with Hermes Pan (who was the choreographer of the film, too).

The best thing in its favor is how short it is: only about 75 minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »

I finished the afternoon with another film recorded from cable this morning - WHISTLING IN BROOKLYN, the last of Red Skelton's WHISTLING movies. I'm not sure I had ever seen this one before. Lots of MGM contract players in support(Henry O'Neill, William Frawley, Sam Levene, Rags Ragland) and even Leo Durocher and other Brooklyn Dodgers also figuring into the slapstick antics.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »

I noticed that the DVR was recording LEMONY SNICKET'S from Showtime-HD, so I'll probably watch it this evening, another movie I never got around to seeing in the theater.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »

Back from errands.  I finally bought a bathroom scale and have now weighed my bathroom - my bathroom has lost several pounds.

I did weigh myself and I must say I was within two pounds of what I presumed I'd lost, weight-wise - pretty good.  I definitely want to lose another ten to fifteen pounds, but I know that's the hard part.  Plus, I have definitely put on some muscle weight in my legs.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »

Very good BK, you have certainly been doing a fine job of excercising! You should be quite pleased with yourself!

And of course the extra muscle weighs more then the fat, so if you adjust things, you may be at what you had thought you were at.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »

I didn't even really need the scale, just thought it would be fun to see how close I was in my guesstimate.  I base everything on how my clothes fit, and I can calculate based on how many inches of waistline I've lost (close to two-and-a-half now).

Michael

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »

BK:

Has any place like Amazon or Footlight records announced the sale of DECEIT (or will they)?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2006, 02:10:20 PM »

I'm back from the trip to Dr V with my dad; I honestly feel the doctor's been weighing my dad's poor reaction to the first two chemo treatments and thinking it ain't gonna work.  I hope I am wrong, but I've always felt the cancer was found too late for much to inhibit it.

Next Monday, at 10:20 AM, Dr V will determine the next step in the process.  I'll get to leave for New York on Tuesday with a lot of concerns.  Oy!

And now, I am the Man Who Came to Dinner.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2006, 02:23:18 PM »

We haven't done the listing for Deceit yet, but will soon.  I don't like to do it too far in advance of street date.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2006, 02:46:50 PM »

Heading down now to start on cleaning chores for the week and then back to TV and LEMONY SNICKET'S SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2006, 02:47:52 PM »

Jose, did you get to see MAME at Kennedy Center while you were in the general area?

No.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I went ahead and took a nap.  And, about two hours later - guess it was more than just a nap - I'm feeling a bit more rested...  And also feel like I could just go back to bed again.  A puzzlement! (Ah, a The King & I reference[/i].

Steve and I are starting to ponder the dinner options, and I'm pondering whether to head up to Fairfax tonight or tomorrow morning.  I'm leaning towards the morning right now, but that could change as the evening progresses.  There are some storms moving through, too, so that's something to factor in in my decision making.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 02:54:01 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2006, 03:35:10 PM »

Long time DRs will know of my dislike of Caged Animals etc.  Some rationalisation has had to take place.  Fortunately I am cognisant of the need for zoos in terms of public education and especially for the world wide breeding programmes attempting to widen gene pools etc.

As a gift -  I have now adopted one of the residents of Melbourne's Royal Zoological Gardens.

The lucky resident is a Cotton-Top Tamarin.
His name is Gary Junior Junior.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  May I remind one and all and also all and one that today is NOT a holiday?  I, for one, even got an overseas shipment of one DVD today.  Hence, let's get some postin' goin' on because if we don't get some postin' goin' on then we're definitely going to get some bitch slappin' goin' on and I don't mean maybe, you hainsies/kimlet people.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2006, 03:36:57 PM »

I am still refinishing my kitchen cabinets.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2006, 03:51:38 PM »

A few months ago, I (mistakenly) loaned to a friend of mine my DVD copy of "Star Wars, episode IV:  A New Hope" from the 4-disc set.  She (or more likely, her kids) lost the disc and the case isn't in too good a shape...it was practically mint condition when I loaned it.  Anyway, I bought a near-mint condition copy on eBay and my friend has paid me for it, so at last my set will be complete again! (almost a Sweeney Todd reference).  It hasn't arrived, but the seller has 99% positive feedback.  And that's my post...for now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »

Another friend sent me an e-mail of a 2006 Prom Dress (a.k.a. The Safe Sex Dress):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2006, 03:56:41 PM »

After a day to reflect upon Leslie Jordan's "one-man" show of "Like A Dog on Linoleum," I have to say it's one of the more engaging, intense and thought-provoking performance pieces I've seen.

It's not that it's full of wisdom or has something to say about coping with life.  Rather, it's one man's quest for some meaning to his life based upon his life experiences and all the elements that made him what he is today.

Leslie Jordan is extremely funny.  He has no delusions about his height, his appearance or his ability to "play it straight."  It is his sincere goofiness and a hard edge brought on by a lifetime of drug and alcohol abuse -- punishing himself for being gay, as he is wont to say -- that has made him who he is, and he's all the more endearing for it.

What I truly admire about this man, aside from the many pleasures I've derived from his apppearances on a myriad of TV comedies -- the first time I saw him was on "Murphy Brown" -- including "Will and Grace" and his recurring role as Karen's rich, repressed/closeted gay nemesis Beverley Leslie, is that he's able to reveal/laugh/revel in the tawdry side of his behavior through his life.

As he said about his youth, he was never attracted to the "good kids" his mother always told him he should cultivate.  He'd much rather run with the trashy kids...they weren't boring and they were good for a thrill.

There's much laughter in the show...and a few moments of intense introspection...and a finale that is emotionally raw for Jordan (although it was a tad uncomfortable for me to watch).

His one nod to "Will and Grace", the show most people will know him from, is a memorable line from one of the shows:  "Well, well...Karen Walker.  I thought I caught a whiff of gin and regret!"

The performance I saw was scheduled to be the final performance, but the show has been extended to July 30.

The show was 10 minutes shy of 2 hours.  It seemed like 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:59:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »

I've been up and about since 10 a.m. on this, my fourth day off in a row.

I've got a pot of spaghetti sauce on the stove.  I've packed up two boxes of DVDs I'm placing in storage.

I'm also worrying other ideas of things to try to accomplish before the five days are up.

And I want to see "Superman Returns", as well.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »

I have finished my Bollywood King Kong / Tarzan films (which I really, really enjoyed) and find that my Egyptian films have arrived in the mail!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »

I'm also worrying other ideas of things to try to accomplish before the five days are up.

Ron, why don't you refinish your kitchen cabinets? It's LOADS of fun!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »

DR Tomovoz, your Cotton-Top Tamarin is very handsome.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »

I believe during the early morning hours, TCM did a Vitaphone tribute featuring DON JUAN (which I had no interest in seeing again) and the Vitaphone shorts that were presented the night DON JUAN premiered. I can't wait to see these shorts. They were included in one of the  laserdisc DAWN OF SOUND packages many years ago that I couldn't afford at the time ($100) so I've never seen them, and I feared I never would.

Did Matt say he couldn't wait to see Don Juan's shorts?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »

Isn't this Saturday?

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »

I just got back from lunch (Subway) and was going to get my hair cut (so that I'll look smashing for Sunday's PNW HHW get-together), but the place that I go (only $10!) was closed.  I'll try again on Wednesday or I may have to wait until next week.

George, we have to look nice on Sunday?  I need more than six days notice for that.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2006, 05:38:13 PM »

I'm leaving work early.  It's not that I don't have work to do, but the building is practically empty!  I'm off to dinner. :)

George

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »

George, we have to look nice on Sunday?  I need more than six days notice for that.

;D I haven't had a hair cut (any of them, actually) in several months and I think it's time.  So, don't fell like you have to get all prettyfied just for me. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up