Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG SLEEP  (Read 21150 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BIG SLEEP
« on: July 02, 2006, 10:40:37 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes solved the mystery of the big sleep, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just trying to figure out why it's the big sleep rather than farewell, my lovely, computer-wise.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:16:57 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BIG SLEEP
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 10:41:59 PM »

And the word of the day is: UXORIOUS!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 10:47:33 PM »

I did type out a post, then lost it when the topic  was locked..

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »

Ah well, to repeat myself..
So sorry that Jed and I have been so E&T recently.  We both deserve bitchslapping, I'm sure.  Sadly, we won't be able to attend the HHW gathering this Sunday.  The location being a block and a half from our apartment, it couldn't be more ideal...but we promised a dear friend of ours that we would come and see him play the lead in Anything Goes, and the Sunday matinee is the only performace we'd be able to make, given Jed's work schedule.  We expect many pictures, of course.

Elmore, SO glad to hear that your father's situation has improved.  I will continue to send vibes to him, as well as blanket vibes for anyone else around here who needs them.

Wedding plans are slowly progressing!  We have the church reserved, so May 12th of 2007 is now our official date.  Whee!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:21:36 AM »

It is 2:15 a.m. and nice and cool and breezy outside at 91F. I can't sleep, so I've been applying stain to some cabinet doors. It's much nicer on the patio now than it usually is in the afternoon at 107F.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:29:18 AM »

Re the word of the day:  I remember that when Anthony Minghella in his ENGLISH PATIENT Oscar speech thanked " My wife, who has taught me the meaning of the word 'uxoriousness'." - Skip and I turned to each other and one of us (I forget which one) said, "I wish she'd teach us the meaning of that word.  I have no idea what it means."  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 05:03:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  Sidney Poitier, c'est moi.  Tonight I have dinner with DR Ginny and Richard.  Before then, I have a morning errand at the US Post Office, and a trip to the oncologist with my dad.

My sister-in-law called me to congratulate me on the bitchslapping I gave him last evening over his carelessness in wasting our day.  I'm curious to see what happens with his lady friend today, so if I am run off the road or shot . . .

DR Ann, welcome back!  Ive missed you and DR Jed.  I hope our BK will get to work on our first real HHW wedding.  After the debacle when DR Jose was turned down by DR MBarnum, we've had no chance to have our own reality show.

TOD:  Did I miss it again?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 05:08:59 AM »

Ta da!  Comcast has finally decided to work after nearly 12 hours!

Uxurious indeed....someone must have been told to get the L out.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:09:50 AM »

Ah DRMATTH - if DRMBARNUM no longer has the tape I made for him, a copy of YOUNGBLOOD would be most appreciated.  We shall see what we shall see.

My guess is that Bosco and Freddy will have to watch it first, although Freddy may have seen it already.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 05:10:16 AM »

And I would especially recommend SUSAN SLADE and ROME ADVENTURE, if you haven't seen them....and care for that sort of thing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 05:10:54 AM »

I have blocked the worst jobs I had....although working in a factory making class rings was about the WORST 30 days of my life....including the drive and the fellow employees.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 05:11:23 AM »

Hello DR ELMORE.  Keep your eyeball on the highball in your hand.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 05:12:02 AM »

DR TPUNK eventually you will be able to download the audtion form for HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING on the website, in about 8 months, that is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 05:15:56 AM »

DR Cillaliz, I loved the book THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, and I look forward to the movie.

TOD:  Worst job: driving a delivery truck for Office Outfitters, but to be fair to them, I was unhappy, unfocused in my life, and unable to find a career that paid anything in my hometown while I did community arts:  theatre and symphony.  It was still a terrible job, I was a terrible driver, and I should be glad I didn't wreck the van more than I did.  I guess I'm lucky I wasn't fired.

Worst bosses:  William Kingsley, Shippensburg State College        
                         Deadley Inwood, Office Outfitters
                         Donald  L. Rosenberg, Miami University

I can say nothing good about any of them, and I'm sure the feeling's mutual.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 05:17:06 AM »

Hello DR ELMORE.  Keep your eyeball on the highball in your hand.

If I had a glass eye, I could keep the highball on the eyeball.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 05:17:17 AM »

The boss from hell was the manager before my current manager. People were asking for store transfers or being forced out. It got to the point where I was ready to quit or ask for a store transfer when she "resigned". He/She and the assistant manager (who was a nice person before he/she was hired) "resigned" after it was found out that they made a questionable move. They were gone and I was still there. I rode it out and six years later I am still here (SS reference) and they are homeless and unemployed. (Not really but as Peter Pan said, "Think Lovely Thoughts".
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 05:28:58 AM »

Hi, just checking in to say good morning.  It's SOOOOO humid here. My AC froze up yesterday so I just had the fan on last night and the AC portion off. It seems to be ok now, but it's 30 years old and I fear it is nearly dead.

The cats insisted on seeing each other at 5:00 AM. Bootsie wanted to roam the house and Callie wanted to hunt her down, corner her and do God only knows what to her.  So I stayed between them and when Bootsie realized she was about to be cornered again she looked at me like "You are going to get me out of this right?"  So I picked her up and she went to her room for breakfast and a nap.  Callie then had breakfast and some treats.  They are both separated and purring....meanwhile, I've gotten the litter boxes cleaned out, done the dishes left from yesterday, checked the AC and found it's working and not frozen and am about to go get coffee.   And it's only 7:22 AM on a day off....Yikes!

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 05:28:58 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  The good news is that my dentist's office is open today and I was able to get an appointment.  The even-better news is that said appointment is right in the middle of the day, so I will have to take the whole day as sick leave.  Didn't really want to go to work today anyway, but wouldn't have purposely broken a tooth just to avoid it.

Ah, well, now I have the day to putter at home and get a fiesta supper ready for Sidney DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 05:29:48 AM »

GOOD TRIP TO DENTIST VIBES TO DR GINNY

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 05:31:42 AM »

TOD - Worst job- probably being the cleaning person for my dad's office when I was in high school. I hate cleaning toilets.  I haven't really had a nightmare type boss.  The most boring job I had was being a bank teller.

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 05:32:28 AM »

Well, off to Coffee Works. laters

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 05:33:25 AM »

GOOD TRIP TO DENTIST VIBES TO DR GINNY

Thanks, DR Cillaliz!

TOD - The summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I worked for Burroughs Corp., in Plymouth, MI, filing computer schematics.  All day, filing by 8-digit numbers - it was mind-numbingly boring, hot, and not challenging in the least.  Great motivation for returning to school in the fall!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 05:37:25 AM »

Actually, I take that back, I did have a really bad boss. He was the county attorney in a small town where I was his assistant for about 9 months.   There was a huge controversy over the Sheriff's race. He was the sheriff's boy, so to speak, and I was an outsider AND was considered to be on the side of his opponent.  I was threatened by the sheriff, followed around etc. My boss did nothing. When my guy won, my boss came to me in tears and said "They told me I have to do something about you" so it was quit or get fired.  I quit. It turned out to be a blessing. People knew what happened and I was helped by a number of them to establish my private practice.  My boss wasn't mean, he was just a total wuss - which at times can be worse.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 06:13:15 AM »

Twice in my career I've had what everybody considered bad bosses.  We all wondered when DGB would leave the university and when KH would retire from the public library.  Well, eventually DGB moved on to bigger and better things and KH did retire and they were both replaced by people who, before long, made each institution long for the good old days when DGB and KH were around!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 07:16:23 AM »

Good morning!

Our hot spell continues with no end in sight (well, perhaps fall arriving may end it), and other than running out for some items at the grocery store today, I plan to stay inside.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 07:20:55 AM »

I believe during the early morning hours, TCM did a Vitaphone tribute featuring DON JUAN (which I had no interest in seeing again) and the Vitaphone shorts that were presented the night DON JUAN premiered. I can't wait to see these shorts. They were included in one of the  laserdisc DAWN OF SOUND packages many years ago that I couldn't afford at the time ($100) so I've never seen them, and I feared I never would.

I'm looking forward to seeing them now.

For those who don't know, THE JAZZ SINGER was not the first Vitaphone sound feature; DON JUAN was although there was no sound dialogue with the movie. The Vitaphone had sound effects and a music score, and I've seen it before; not a great movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 07:23:45 AM »

I saw the DVR recording something this morning after I got up, and I don't remember what I set it for. It might have been LISTEN, DARLING, one of Judy Garland's early MGM movies. I think TOM THUMB and THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T are perhaps tomorrow morning rather than today.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 07:24:34 AM »

Isn't tonight's MEDIUM the repeat of the 3-D episode (probably minus the 3-D effects)? Seems like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY said it was tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 07:26:52 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on PSYCHE, DR George. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Friday night at 10. MONK has been moved back to 9 p.m. now.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 07:27:27 AM »

And a reminder that THE CLOSER does have a new episode tonight at 9 p.m. on TNT.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up