Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PROPS TO APPLE  (Read 49481 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PROPS TO APPLE
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »

That's great about receiving DECEIT already. I have such spotty mail delivery, I'm not going to get my hopes up for receiving it today, but Monday might find it in my hands, so that itself is exciting!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »

DR George - Mack and Mable is a favorite of mine too...I'll have to think about favorite song from a flop, though

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2006, 08:08:58 AM »

Page 2 Dance!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 08:09:25 AM »

I'm hoping to get my DECEIT DVD today, but I am in the middle of nowhere, so we'll see

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »

It's sort of cloudy here today, I'm hoping for some rain.  I need to go to the office and need to clean house. Much easier to get that sort of thing done when it's rainy outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 08:11:23 AM »

Page Two Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip Dance!!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2006, 08:13:49 AM »

Today I'll finish YOLANDA AND THE THIEF during and after lunch.

I'd like to get TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE watched and off the DVR at some point today.

THE FORTY YEAR OLD VIRGIN comes on HBO-HD tonight, so I will either watch or record it.

Another episode of THE EVIDENCE is also on tonight.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »

Think I'll try for the 1:05 showing of Inconvenient Truth.  I can't believe it's at the Carmike Cinema.   They never have indies or anything remotely controversial.  They had a big -"We won't show Fahrenheit 911" campaign until it made lots of money....then it just showed up on their movie listing.  LOL...money talks

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »

Plus, the Promenade - my fav 14 screen theatre - came to town a couple years ago. It has at least one screen with indies all the time and everyone has started going there.   I'm hoping this is a sign that there may actually be some competition brewing so we'll get more indies and out of the mainstream movies

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2006, 08:25:43 AM »

Well, I'm going to sit on my side porch and read for a bit, enjoying these nice cool, temperatures.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »

TOD - my favorite flop musical is The Grass Harp, which had its pre-Broadway run at the then-new Power Center for the Performing Arts at The University of Michigan.  It was my junior year and my friend Doug and I attended the gala opening.

I, too, love "Once Upon a Time," DR MattH.

If Flora, the Red Menace, was a flop, my favorite song from a flop is "A Quiet Thing."  Actually, whether the show was a flop or not, that song is probably one of my all-time favorites - it articulates my life philosophy perfectly.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Strange dreams about a local bookstore going out of business (they haven't) and a sale where everything was 1.00, only once you purchased it it was whatever price they wanted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2006, 09:16:13 AM »

Hoping to have Kevin Spirtas' DVD up for preorder by tonight.  You, of course, will be the first to know.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

My puttering today includes becoming an eBay bidder.  I've never done anything on eBay except browse.  Today, I registered and have started bidding on an item.  Wish me luck!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2006, 09:23:02 AM »

Molly's human apparently affectionately calls her "Molly-moo."  I was tring to get Molly to move her pushy corgi self :) out of my way and (naturally expecting her to understand English) said "Molly, move!" and she just smiled at me like she'd done something wonderful, thinking I was calling her "Molly-moo."

FJL

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »

I like aspects of Carol Hall's BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC score as well, especially the opening number and "It's Been a While."  

And since I'm on the subject of sequels that were flops, Dorothy Loudon's rendition of "But You Go On" and "You You You (Could Be Annie Too)" from the D.C. tryout of ANNIE 2:  MISS HANNIGAN'S REVENGE are numbers that pop up in my mind's turntable and I find myself humming them at odd moments.

Lots of great numbers in Charles Strouse's lesser shows, it seems.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »

Now I can't get it out of my head:

Miss Hannigan (to an Annie lookalike):

You, you, you
Could be Annie
Oo, oo, oo
It's uncanny
You, you, you
Could be Annie too
Annie too
Annie too.

A fun first-act curtain to a mess of a show.  Lots of people I respect thought the "Annie too" and "ANNIE 2" play on words was sophomoric, but I loved Martin Charnin's little joke there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:40:45 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »

Ginny, there are things you should know about bidding on eBay if you're a newbie.  If you bid really early on an item, then the item is sure to keep going up (if it's something a lot of people want).  Best to wait for the end of auction.  And do you know about eBay's proxy system?  Also, there's esnipe, which is basically free the first few times you use it - it automatically puts in your bid five seconds before the auction closes.  

FJL

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »

That song, of course :)  , became "You You You ain't above the law" in the ultimate show ANNIE WARBUCKS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2006, 09:43:27 AM »

Most who have my Unsung Musicals series know that Smile is a particular favorite of mine, especially Disneyland, the title song, and Shine (which I would have recorded on a subsequent UM's album if there'd been one).

elmore, did you know we recorded one other song from Carnival of Flanders - it wasn't as good as Rainy Day, but it was catchy and fun.  I think Debbie Gravitte did it, but I might be wrong about that.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2006, 09:43:31 AM »

And "But You Go On," sung by Miss Hannigan in D.C. remained in ANNIE WARBUCKS, sung by a totally different character.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »

Working on the final number for PennyO's show.  Had gone one way with the tune, which I wasn't thrilled with, but just hit on something that's working better for me.  Once I finish that, then I have to go back and finish a song that's half-done, and then finish what I call a "runner" - a little tune and lyric for the start of each of her character's relationships.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »

BK - Regarding Ebay, I've had experiences where the bidding along the way just didn't get high enough, and the seller decided to withdraw the item, presumably due to the lack of activity.  If you really want something, shouldn't you at least put some sort of bid in to keep that from happening?  Or is that playing into the sellers' hands?

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »

Ginny, there are things you should know about bidding on eBay if you're a newbie.  If you bid really early on an item, then the item is sure to keep going up (if it's something a lot of people want).  Best to wait for the end of auction.  And do you know about eBay's proxy system?  Also, there's esnipe, which is basically free the first few times you use it - it automatically puts in your bid five seconds before the auction closes.  

BK, thanks for the tips.  Right now, I'm starting slow, watching a few of the same item.  This is all pretty cloak-and-dagger for me!

Is the proxy system you refer to the same as "my highest bid'?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:04:18 AM by Ginny »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2006, 10:22:15 AM »

Yes, your "hidden" highest bid price.  I've never had a seller remove an item, but I guess it could happen.

I'm loving Constant Contact, this e-mail blast program - once you "get" how to create a campaign, it's quite simple.  I just created the e blast for the Kevin Spirtas DVD, which will go out as soon as the DVD is on the Kritzerland site.  Took ten minutes.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2006, 10:23:05 AM »

The definition of a musical failing or "flopping" is blurred these days, with the involvement of not-for-profit theaters.  If a show just runs its New York off-Bway limited engagement, clearly intending to move if the reviews warrant it, then gets disappointing reviews, and simply doesn't move to Broadway, does that count for our discussion?  If so, I'd put several songs from Lippa's WILD PARTY, quite a large number of songs from Ahrens and Flaherty's MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE and DESSA ROSE, several from Menken and Spencer's WEIRD ROMANCE, Cook and Fryer's CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS, and naturally Skip's own TIME AND AGAIN score on my list of favorite songs for the TOD.  

FJL

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »

And how could I have forgotten Tesori and Crawley's VIOLET?

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2006, 10:40:41 AM »

DR Ginny, have fun on Ebay! I am an ebay addict and very proud! And I differ from BK in that I tend to bid as soon as I find an item I want. I just put in my highest bid and if I get it, I get it if I am outbid then there will likely be another of the same item along the way someday...of course it all depends on what kind of items you are bidding on.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »

DR MBarnum - thanks for the eBay encouragement!  I'm winning right now, but have found the same item on Buy It Now, so will go that route if the auction doesn't work out.  BTW, my quest is for discontinued Vera Bradley (handbags & accessories) patterns.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »

Several of my flop favs have been mentioned: Kean, Grass Harp, the song "I Wish It So" from Juno.  

Was All-American a flop?

Was Hazel Flagg a flop?  I quite enjoy the score, particularly the two Benay Venuta songs, "A Little More Heart" and "Everybody Wants to Take a Bow"

What about Superman?  I always liked the Jack Cassidy number, "You're the Woman for The Man Who has Everything."

Jrand, I just listened for the second time ever to Donnybrook.  I find it just a bloody awful score...not a number I like it and they just seem to wander everywhere.  I have a friend who is currently transferring all my Records to CDs (for his own use as well as mine)...which is why I listened to it again.  On each CD he copies, he asteriks songs he particularly likes to include on compliation albums later.  No asteriks for Donnybrook.  I bought a bunch of musicals I never heard before back in the early nineties.  Man With All the Mischief was another I find negligible. When I played Donnybrook enroute to taking The Lovely wife to the airport, I thought she was going to slash her wrists.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:03:29 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up