Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TICKING CLOCK  (Read 58455 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TICKING CLOCK
« on: July 13, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the clock was ticking as you read the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just taking note of their favorite autographs so they can join in the discussion.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:14:12 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TICKING CLOCK
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:12:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: BLINKARD!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 01:02:57 AM »

Memory:  Mmmm

I think a Blin Kard is issued to Laplanders to enable the legal crossing of borders as they move reindeer herds to fresh pastures.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 01:05:25 AM »

autographs.  I'm not a collector but I do have autographs from the elusive Mr Guy Haines.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:51:11 AM »

Cole Porter's on the playbill for Around the World In 80 Days.

And no I didn't ask him to sign it for me. I won it at an auction many years ago.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 04:12:35 AM »

Good morning Michael.  Have a great day.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 04:16:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: BLINKARD!
Noah was a BLINKARD, and he sailed his ARK BLIND.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 04:17:35 AM »

Sorry, but I've never collected autographs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 04:26:49 AM »

I've never seen a clock made of ticking.  I suppose that, instead of being wound too tight, it could be woven too tight.  But the only advantage I can think of is that, if it was an alarm clock, the ticking could cushion the blow when I hit the snooze button.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 04:27:15 AM »

I shall return after work.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 04:47:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  I needed to have my hair cut three weeks ago, but I went to Ohio.  This morning, I'm seeing my barber.  After that, I have a day in the recording office, unpacking my shipment of last Monday, doing some edits, and regaining my bearings.  After that, I see my doctor for a referral to a surgeon to lance and clean this abscess.  Then, I collapse.

My former intern and houseguest Dylan is becoming more scattered and, since I'm currently quite uncomfortable with this abscess, he's irritating me to no end.  Last night around 10 PM, he called from Tower Records to ask if I'd seen his checkbook (after earlier yesterday losing a bottle of pills and a stick of deodorant which he later found in his backpack).  I hadn't, so he said he would be in soon.  At 1:30 AM he walked in to announce he'd gone to a movie and lost his cell phone.  I wasn't in bed before 2, and my hair cut is at 9 AM, so I've had around 5 hours sleep last night, and I'm ready to kill.  He's out on Saturday, and I am now in countdown mode.

TOD:  many notes from Mr Sondheim, who's such a voluminous writer that the autographs will never be worth much although the contents of the notes are fascinating!
         A signed drawing by Georg Gershwin
         Many signed books by authors such as Robert Kimball, Ethan Mordden, Anderson Farrell, and others

I lost my two most prized autographs in the 1970s before I moved to New York:  letters from Benjamin Britten and Lotte Lenya.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 05:34:40 AM »

TOD:

I don't collect autographs, but I have a few.  Geraldine Fitzgerald's on a copy of the BROADWAY, BROADWAY Playbill, Laurane Neuman, Garret Morris and Michael O'Donohugh's on the SNL comedy album, and a post card from Lily Tomlin.  I once had Marlo Thomas's on a copy of the FREE TO BE YOU AND ME book, but I gave that away.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 05:54:55 AM »

Looks like the 2006 Festival of New Musicals at the Village Theater in the Seattle area (Issaquah, to be exact) will be from August 3-6, and the LAST STARFIGHTER presentation is currently scheduled for Friday, August 4 at 7:30 pm.  

After we get back, we'd love to have the New York HHW contingent over for a simple foodfest here at our place.  Is Sunday afternoon, August 13th good for the NY folk?  If not, we can look at other dates.

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 06:09:43 AM »

I have quite a few autographs...I guess the one that means the most goes back to 6th grade.  We were supposed to get a penpal or write to someone.  I wrote to Lyndon Baines Johnson. Everyone laughed and said he wouldn't write back. I sent him a photo of me and my poodle Charlie.  I got a very nice personal letter back from him.

In 2001 I was in Austin, TX for a seminar. I went to the LBJ library and asked if they by any chance had my letter in the archives....they did!! They were kind enough to give me a copy to go with the letter he sent in reply.

They told me how he always liked school kids and would sometimes  go sit at the desk in the mock oval office in the Library/Museum when they were giving tours to surprise the kids.  They said he spent hours writing back to any kids who wrote to him...and I was one of those kids.  I received my letter from him in December 1972,  a month before he died.

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 06:11:49 AM »

The letter I wrote was quite funny, actually.  A part of it said "I bet you've never heard of Estherville, Iowa, but we've sure heard of you!"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:12:05 AM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 06:33:23 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It is so-o-o-o humid here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »

I don't as a rule collect autographs, but I collect books and many of those are signed.

I'm staring right now in my office at a framed letter from H. Rider Haggard where he is declining an offer from a magazine publisher to write something for them because he has a couple of things already running in magazines...though not mentioned by name, one of those is his immortal "SHE", deduced from the dates and the magazine it is being serialized in.

Above that and above the prototype of Bowen's sword from DRAGONHEART is a framed picture of John Gielgud and his  inscribed working copy of The Old Code which I wrote and which he recorded as the ghost of King Arthur in the film.  It also has his little notations and acting notes on it.

I have a signed first edition of Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the autograph apparently has been pasted in on the seam of the end paper and is from someone's old autograph book.  Also on this tipped-in page is the autograph of Michael Romanoff...I assume the famous Hollywood restauranteur.

I have couple of autographed Sabatini's, a Haggard, a Peter O' Toole  autobio; Heston's diaries personally inscribed to me as well as his autobio.  Edward Arnold's autobio.  Several autographed P.C. Wren novels (he wrote Beau Geste) and one with a letter on his stationary tipped in. A couple of signed Talbot Mundy's.  Several things inscribed by pals , Denny Miller, June Wilkinson, Harlan Ellison, and Mr. Bruce Kimmel.

Tons of signed books by various mystery and fantasy authors I collected.  A signed Spartacus novel by Howard Fast. A Scaramouche poster signed by Janet Leigh.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 06:45:04 AM »

Good Morning!

I woke up about half an hour ago not sure if I had to move my car this morning...  I was pretty sure I was parked on the "right" side of the street, but then again...  So I jumped out of bed, and hurried outside... Ah... I was on the "right" side...  :)

However, now I'm up, but I suspect I shall be taking a nap sometime today... Or maybe just going back to bed in a few minutes.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:26 AM »

Brad Link!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »

Blind Kar
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 06:49:28 AM »

Good Day one and all!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 06:55:12 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I have a few notes from Mr. Stephen Sondheim too, but I've actually lost track of where they are.  I know I would not have thrown them away intentionally, but I'm afraid that they might have gotten mixed in with some "trash" during one of my moves.  However, since I do have about 20 boxes o' stuff in storage... One never knows.

Otherwise, I have some Playbills and concert programs signed by various people.  Strangely enough, whenever I'm working on a show, I tend not to collect autographs from my castmates.  Even on the last day of Lestat, when everyone else was running around trying to collect signatures (most likely for e-Bay too!), I just wanted Hugh Panaro to sign my souvenir program.  And that was that.

However, if a show I'm doing happens to be doing one of those BC/EFA fundraisers, and "selling" autographed posters, then I'll "buy" one of those to support the worthy cause rather than primarily to have the autographs.

Two programs that I have lost track of which I keep hoping to find someday: a program from the first National Symphony Concert I attended signed by pianist, Vladimir Ashkenazy and Andre Previn, and a Playbill of Biloxi Blues signed by almost everyone in the original Broadway cast except Matthew Broderick - I saw it in previews, a Wednesday matinee during my first high school trip up to NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 06:57:33 AM »

Cillaliz, I love that LBJ story! That is way cool!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 06:59:27 AM »

I have a few autographs... However my favorites are Matt Ashford's and The Chieftains. I met Paddy Moloney and Matt Malloy of the Chieftains when they were in concert in Minneapolis a few years ago. My knees were literally shaking when I met them. I have admired their music for a LONG, LONG time.

I have Matt's autograph on Deceit Preview flyer and STephanie got that for me and now the DVD... I have yet to meet him but perhaps someday. I have heard from those who have met him that is a classy gentleman and a very nice person.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 07:07:29 AM »

I guess Mr. Sondheim does/did write a lot of letters.  I have a couple of those as well, responses to my invitations to him to see my work, that he can't make it but with nice, polite (and in one case quite witty) and throughly reasonable excuses.  But the last one is from over ten years ago.  Who writes letters these days, after all?  

My favorite, most treasured letter is from Joe Masteroff, who gave me a very helpful, reasonably detailed (although generally complimentary) explanation of where I had gone wrong on a particular project.  

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »

Good morning everyone.  

We have a friend staying with us through the weekend. He's attending a musical theater teacher's conference/training for the next few days, so it's nice to have him in town.  Later in the week we'll gain another house guest when one of Rodzinski's sisters comes for a visit.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »

through a good portion of the 1990s my good buddy Ron and I both collected autographs...many of them were obtained in person at the Ray Court's shows in North Hollywood, but the majority we got by writing to various and sundry celebs and semi-celebs, sending them photos to sign and return in a self-addressed, stamped envelope we supplied....Ron tended to go for the more well known classic stars as well as more current up and coming TV hunks...he had a pretty good track record of returns, some were pre-prints but many appear to be authentic!

I (surprise, surprise) went for the lesser known B movie and TV stars of years past...and a few up and coming TV hunks (they were always so willing!).

One of my favorite autographs is from Penny Singleton who also wrote me a very nice 4 page letter....if I remember, tonight I will scan a few of my favorite autographed photos for your viewing pleasure.

I did attempt to get autographs from all the major players in MELROSE PLACE....only Doug Savant responed with a real autograph...all of the others sent pre-prints, if they sent anything at all.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:10:07 AM by MBarnum »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 07:09:38 AM »

Although it's my day off, I've got a lot to do.  I'm waiting on a call from the vet to find out when I can pick up Sir Walty.  I've got laundry, cleaning, and I'm doing my best to make it to the gym every day.  It's hard to be motivated in this heat- when I went yesterday the air conditioner was broken and being worked on so I couldn't stay very long.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 07:11:17 AM »

I do also have an autographed photo of Mr. Bruce Kimmel, from his appearence on LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY...however, I don't believe I have ever gotten the autograph of Guy Haines!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 07:13:58 AM »

Autographs... I think my most memorable experience was on my second trip to NYC when I saw Chicago which was starring at that time Bebe Neuwirth and Karen Ziemba.  I loved the show and waited at the stage door for autographs.  I got everyone but Bebe's because she exited out another door. :(  Michael Beresse (sp?) was the understudy for Billy Flynn and had gone on that night.  When I got his autograph he made a little joke about "who's this guy?" but I thought he was great and was pleased when he went on to star in Kiss Me Kate.

I also enjoyed getting Martin Short's autograph at Encore's Promises Promises, he was patient and took a photo with my friend and I.  Said friend later went on to work in a Broadway PR office and worked directly with Mr. Short on Little Me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up