Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE IS A CABARET  (Read 67302 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIFE IS A CABARET
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:12:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a cabaret, old chum, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're attending a cowbaret, old chum.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:44:44 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIFE IS A CABARET
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: PALLIATE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »

In my DVD player:  "Doctor Who:  The Complete First Series" and "Reno 911:  The Complete Third Season."

In my CD player, the "world premiere recording" of Bernarda Alba (I just got it yesterday from Amazon.com with "Reno 911.")

In my VCR:  nothing.

That is all.  Good night. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:48:04 AM »

TOTD:
DVD: Into The Arms Of Strangers - Stories of the Kindertransport.

CD: The best of Linda Ronstadt - the Capitol Years.

Vinyl: The Playmates Visit The West Indies.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:55:14 AM »

Good morning all.  I'm off to work.  I have lots to do there, so I'll try to have a productive day today.  

DR Laura - From reading the story online, I thought that one of the serial shooters was near you.   Be very careful, it sounds like he's just shooting randomly at people walking. That is very scary.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 05:02:48 AM »

Good morning DR Cillaliz

Goodnight all.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:03:31 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 05:22:49 AM »

Wow, Jose, what great news!!! I would go see the show again and then I could come backstage like an important person :-)

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 05:30:45 AM »

I have lots of CDs at work. It's quite a mix

Bette Midler-Broken Blossom
Bette Midler-Soundtrack from The Rose
Original London Cast-The Blitz
Eric Michael Gillett-Cast of Thousands-The Songs of Craig Carnelia
(here's where it begins to get eclectic)
Peter, Paul and Mary (first album)
Peter, Paul and Mary Album 1700 (I love this CD)
Peter, Paul and Mary-Flowers and Stones
Peter, Paul and Mary-No Easy Walk to Freedom (I ADORE this CD)
Nancy Lamott-Beautiful Baby
Nancy Lamott-Listen to My Heart
Nancy Lamott-What's Good About Goodbye

and I have a wonderful present from a certain Frenchman!

I have no DVDs to watch but Mr. Morelli has a boatload of various mysterys and television shows to watch, PBS Mystery, Monk, Dead Zone and various other shows of which I have no interest.

We are busy this evening with a cousins get together. One of Anthony's cousins lives in Chicago and she's in town for a wedding so a number of us are gathering on the Upper West Side to greet Theresa.

Tomorrow or Sunday (both days are supposed to be very, very hot) we will walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Anthony can then cross that off his list of things to do.

I will toddle over to Bed, Bath and Beyond to buy a new toaster oven this weekend, using the 20% discount coupon before it expires on Monday (I have such an exciting life, don't cha think  ;))

So I guess the 13th of August is a no go for a NY HHW get together. Well, I'm free most of the summer. Just keep me posted and I'll be there.

A very long post is about to come to an end.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 05:41:53 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's time for a heat wave and I am not happy about it.  Of course, if I were more comfortable physically, I might be less hostile about it.

I discovered a tv program last night, IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA, and it's now my second favorite program after MY NAME IS EARL.  FX played two episodes of the sitcom back to back at 10 PM, and I thought they were rude, very funny, and well cast.

Today, I will hie myself down to the office, deal a bit on Library of Congress concerns with Ira Gershwin and Harold Arlen, edit a BABES number, move on to the NYPL Theatre Collection around noon, and fill some prescriptions:  a day crammed with incident.

Dylan is moving upstate on Sunday afternoon, so I will most likely spend Monday tidying, reorganizing the apartment, and thanking God.

TOD:  
  DVD:  DECEIT, Kirov Ballet COPPELIA,  Australian Opera HMS PINAFORE with Anthony warlow
  CD:  THE TRAGIC AND HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SINGING NUN, Mozart piano concertos, my brother and sister-in-law's demo CD
  VCR:  Countdown to Monday!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 05:44:55 AM »

I forgot to ask this during my long post.

I'm re-reading Sondheim and Company and there is a chapter about the Barbra Streisand Broadway album and how she and Sondheim worked together and how he changed some lyrics for her. I never picked up the album because it's later BS and I'm not a fan of her later work. She's certainly better than when she was in her pretentious period (my opinion only, Babs lovers don't attack me) doing things like Butterfly and Evergreen but she was so much better in the early days. Anyway, I digress. Is the Barbra Streisand Broadway Album Volume 1 any good? I have so many CDs but if it's a worthwhile listen perhaps I'll look for it and add it to the collection.

Discuss  :-*

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 05:48:57 AM »

I'm re-reading Sondheim and Company and there is a chapter about the Barbra Streisand Broadway album and how she and Sondheim worked together and how he changed some lyrics for her. I never picked up the album because it's later BS and I'm not a fan of her later work. She's certainly better than when she was in her pretentious period (my opinion only, Babs lovers don't attack me) doing things like Butterfly and Evergreen but she was so much better in the early days. Anyway, I digress. Is the Barbra Streisand Broadway Album Volume 1 any good? I have so many CDs but if it's a worthwhile listen perhaps I'll look for it and add it to the collection.

Not all of the Broadway Album is listenable. However there are a few good cuts. But others are over orchestrated, over arranged  over studiolized and over sung
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 05:49:53 AM »

Jose Break a leg on your Sweeney Todd Audition!!!
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 05:56:58 AM »

I don't walk in the evenings any more, Cillaliz. For one reason, it's just too darn hot right now! It will be interesting to see what happens now -- this is all over the news. So will they strike again, or will they lay low for a while till some of the excitement dies down? Gosh, what some people will do for attention!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 06:04:09 AM »

I think all Barbra Streisand oeuvre after the Stoney End album and right before the loathsome STAR IS BORN is bs, but my first reaction when I heard the album was: she fell into a kaleidescope; it all sounds like broken glass to me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 06:09:49 AM »

OK, then if August 13th doesn't work, how's Sunday August 20th in the afternoon for a New York HHW-contingent get-together?

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »

I don't walk in the evenings any more, Cillaliz. For one reason, it's just too darn hot right now! It will be interesting to see what happens now -- this is all over the news. So will they strike again, or will they lay low for a while till some of the excitement dies down? Gosh, what some people will do for attention!

Just be careful, ok?

Cillaliz

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 06:17:31 AM »

TOD - I think I have Rupert Holmes WIDESCREEN in my car CD player, I've been listening to XM radio at work and last thing in the DVD player was DECEIT.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 06:23:24 AM »

Just be careful, ok?

I will be careful.

It must be difficult to be the one to defend these guys when they are finally caught.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 06:25:17 AM »

August 20th looks good for me.

I have no life in the summer except work. It will be a nice break. We start mandatory overtime on August 5th and every Saturday (with the exception of Labor Day weekend) I will be in the office through October 21st. It's a nice addition to the bank account (I get paid, I don't get comp time) but it's also tiring.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 06:33:35 AM »

Friday morning greetings!

TOD - CD(car) - still listening to audiobook, The Whole World Over by Julia Glass.  It's a sprawling soap-opera of a story, but I have to find out how it ends!

DVD, VCR - nothing

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 06:36:10 AM »

...every Saturday (with the exception of Labor Day weekend) I will be in the office through October 21st...

So, DR Ben, you'll be working on Saturday, October 7?  That's the second day of my conference there and we usually finish about 3pm.  How late do you have to work on those Saturdays?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 06:37:10 AM »

Myself, I'm a fan of the Broadway Album.  It was great to hear Streisand apply her voice to show tunes again.  

And I have to agree with you , DR Ben, that Striesand was so much more fun to listen to in her early days.  I recently listened to her By The Decades set (or whatever it was called) and she was much more freer and took risks with her voice early in her career.  But even by the late 60s you could hear the practice and precise control creep in.  Her belt was kept to a minimum and sh began to rely more and more on her head voice.  But her fans ate it all up.  Like buttah!  Feh!, say I.  I way prefer the young riffy Striesand over the controlled perfectionist she became.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:39:00 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »

media checkk

iPod:  Ella Fitzgerald, a Jazz Master compilation.  Now, that's buttah!

Tivo:  SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER from TCM last night.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »

La da DA de da da.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 06:47:18 AM »

Good PERfORMANCE and audition vibes this morning to DR JOSE.  You could always sing "I Enjoy Being a Girl" which impressed the nuns so much in the 5th grade!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »

Interesting details about THE LOVED ONE which I have only seen on broadcast television. Perhaps I must buy the DVD.  I purchased GRAND PRIX yesterday from DDD for $14.66.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 06:49:11 AM »

TOD:

CD:  Music from SON OF THE PINK PANTHER that I am using for DEATH BY CHOCOLATE

DVD:  DECEIT and MR SARDONICUS

VCR:  FRANKIE & JOHNNY with Mr Elvis Presley & Miss Donna Douglas, One Dollar at Dollar Tree last week

Ben

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 06:52:17 AM »

So, DR Ben, you'll be working on Saturday, October 7?  That's the second day of my conference there and we usually finish about 3pm.  How late do you have to work on those Saturdays?

Ginny, I'll be done around 2pm. Since I'm half a block from the office, I can go home, relax a bit an wait for your call  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 06:57:32 AM »

Media check:

DVD: DECEIT and THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS

DVR: UTAH BLAIN and JACK MCCALL, DESERADO

Cassette tape: PRIDE OF PORTLAND
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:57:49 AM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 06:59:39 AM »

Cabaret Vibes headed toward California....it couldn't please me more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up