Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 20740 times)

LC

• .o0o.
Re:THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2003, 08:57:11 AM »

Thanks Michael for posting the list of Oscar-winning songs - very helpful to use as a checklist.  I think my favorite song on there is "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" - just love it.  I also really like "Streets of Philadelphia."

DVD player: an advance copy of the remake of "Cheaper by the Dozen"
VHS: nothing
CD player: Avenue Q
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2003, 09:04:33 AM »

LC, I would be very curious to know your thoughts on the new version of CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. The original is such a classic and funny as heck, so would be interested in seeing the remake if it stacks up well agains the first version.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2003, 09:05:10 AM »

Jennifer: Thoughts on last nights Survivor??? Very good episode! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2003, 09:21:03 AM »

DR RonP wrote:
DR Jennifer:

1 package pre-cooked meat balls
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1 crock pot.

Put meat balls and BBQ sauce in crock pot; let cook several hours.

Voila!  BBQ meat balls.

Okay I have no crock pot. But the idea sounds interesting. What does it taste like? Would it be the same to just make regular meatballs and then cook them for a bit in BBQ sauce?  Not that Mr. Atkins would let me have BBQ sauce. But for future reference :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:22:22 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2003, 09:23:19 AM »

Hey BK: Are you ignoring me again? :(
(you didn't answer either of my questions)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2003, 09:26:21 AM »

I answered your UPS question twice yesterday - yes, it arrived.  I can't say what I predicted here without giving away things.  

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2003, 09:26:58 AM »

Everybody must be vacationing in Tarnation today!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2003, 09:31:40 AM »

Jennifer: Thoughts on last nights Survivor??? Very good episode! LOL!

I did like it. It was quite predicable. But Sandra cracks me up. She is so funny. Who ever would have thought that she would be the comedienne of the show?

I was sad to see Burton go.

I was disappointed with Lil for betraying Burton (although I suppose he probably would have betrayed her).

I loved Jon's stunned look.

Although Jon is the brightest one there. He totally figured out what was going on (telling Burton, "there is something up, Lil is acting weird, I think she has made a deal with the women".  Yet afterwards he changed his tune commenting on how dumb the women were not to make an alliance.

I think the men made two fatal mistakes.

1.The guys knew Lil had bonded with Darrah. They never should have suggested that they all vote out Darrah instead of Sandra. Sandra is weak, but much smarter than the other girls.  By doing this Lil realized that if the guys would turn on Darrah they would turn on her.

2. Burton should not have taken Jon on his reward. He left Sandra with the 2 women. He NEVER should have done that. Although I get why he wanted him and Jon to be strong (for the challenges).

I cannot believe the guys sort of fell for Lil and D telling them that Sandra had not approached them. How believable was that?

I cannot believe Sandra almost hid all the supplies. What a snake.

I was on the floor rolling around when she promised jon on her kids' lives (then mumbled under her breath that she would screw jon).

Very funny.

I think I like it better when the editors don't give us the results on a silver platter. I was not that happy when T got voted out and they left out information. But I like it when they balance who could go equally. And then we have to think for ourselves who will be voted out.

I was 100% sure it would be Burton.

But it was a very funny show.

I guess we shall see what happens on Sunday. I think you can never tell (since anyone could win immunity).

If Jon wins immunity, then i would bet D and Lill would vote out Sandra.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:38:29 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2003, 09:31:41 AM »

DR LC, an advanced copy of a film that hasn't even been released to theaters yet? I'm not sure this is the place to mention such things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2003, 09:34:14 AM »

Yep, those barbecued meatballs are wonderful and so are cocktail franks. I could eat my weight in both of those.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2003, 09:35:43 AM »

I answered your UPS question twice yesterday - yes, it arrived.  I can't say what I predicted here without giving away things.  

You answered my UPS question? Last I heard you talked to them and they said it was on its redirected way back. I remember you saying that if it hadn't arrived by 2pm you were gonna tell THE PEOPLE to go pick it up at UPS. Or you were gonna leave early and get it yourself.

Re: Alias, is there anyone else here who hasn't watched the show who is planning to? (i think most of us watch it live and are on season 3).

Can you put spoiler at the top. Or just email it to me. I really wanna know. I am nosy like that :)

(sorry if i missed your UPS answer, I was really trying to follow :(  )

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2003, 09:42:45 AM »

Jennifer:

I was not at all disappointed with Burton being voted off...in fact I was clapping, I was so happy! I liked Burton a lot, but last night he was just getting so cocky and putting down the 3 women, and buddying up with Jon...I was just sick of him. I don't have a problem with Lil voting Burton off, he voted for her so they were both breaking the alliance. And Lil knew that she could no longer trust Burton, which is sad, but part of the game I guess.

I must say that I will miss looking at Burton, however! LOL!

Yes, Sandra was cracking me up too! Although her tossing the fish, and wanting to hide the tools was a bit childish, I thought.

Fun episode..can't wait to see the finale on Sunday!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2003, 09:47:40 AM »

Let's make this "breaking alliance" issue VERY CLEAR:

Yes, it's Burton who got the axe, but who did he vote for?  Who did Jon vote for?

Burton is a hypocritical P-I-G PIG.  Burton and Jon were plotting Lill's downfall the entire show...and Burton has the audacity to tell Lill, in his parting comments, he hopes she can live with her decision to break their alliance.  What horsepucky!

Burton and Jon -- I think they'll get together after the show...possibly set up house together.  Burton should have STAYED gone from the show when he was first voted off.  

All the crap that he and Jon were saying about the women came back to bite them in the butt bigtime.  JON IS NEXT and he will deserve it!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2003, 09:48:36 AM »

Jennifer:  If you don't know what stuff cooked in a crock pot tastes like, nothing I can say will adequately describe how good it is.

Cooking the meatballs another way and then putting them in BBQ sauce will NOT be the same.

NOTHING takes the place of slow cooking/savoring.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:49:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2003, 09:51:09 AM »

I think JRand53 is visiting friends in downtown Tarnation, while TCB and Jay are shopping in NW Tarnation (at the big mall).

Emily is at the library in Tarnation-By-The-Sea, and SwishySarah is meeting Craig at that little bistro in Upper Tarnation.

It must be, because none of them are here at HHW!

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2003, 09:53:24 AM »

Yes, it's Burton who got the axe, but who did he vote for?  Who did Jon vote for?

Burton is a hypocritical P-I-G PIG.  Burton and Jon were plotting Lill's downfall the entire show...and Burton has the audacity to tell Lill, in his parting comments, he hopes she can live with her decision to break their alliance.  What horsepucky!

Burton and Jon -- I think they'll get together after the show...possibly set up house together.  Burton should have STAYED gone from the show when he was first voted off.  

All the crap that he and Jon were saying about the women came back to bite them in the butt bigtime.  JON IS NEXT and he will deserve it!

Ron, my feelings exactly! Burton had a lot of nerve being critical of Lil!

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2003, 09:54:18 AM »

SURVIVOR TALK!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer:

I was not at all disappointed with Burton being voted off...in fact I was clapping, I was so happy! I liked Burton a lot, but last night he was just getting so cocky and putting down the 3 women, and buddying up with Jon...I was just sick of him. I don't have a problem with Lil voting Burton off, he voted for her so they were both breaking the alliance. And Lil knew that she could no longer trust Burton, which is sad, but part of the game I guess.

I must say that I will miss looking at Burton, however! LOL!

Yes, Sandra was cracking me up too! Although her tossing the fish, and wanting to hide the tools was a bit childish, I thought.

Fun episode..can't wait to see the finale on Sunday!

I am not sure Burton wouldn't have broken his alliance with Lil. But the only reason they voted for her was because they realized they could no longer trust her. She broke the alliance (as was evidenced by B's comments at the end of the show).

She gave her word that they would be honest. She wasn't. At least he was and told her last week that she was definitely final 3 but maybe not more.

I agree Sandra wanting to hide the supplies was idiotic.
But I think it would have been funny if she had done it. Too bad for that!

I will say this, I would rather Sandra or Jon win (which most likely won't happen). To me Lil has done nothing and is weak. Darrah has somehow been winning immunities, but she has glided by and done little. She never strategizes.And if she wins, it will be luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2003, 09:57:01 AM »

Jennifer:  If you don't know what stuff cooked in a crock pot tastes like, nothing I can say will adequately describe how good it is.

Cooking the meatballs another way and then putting them in BBQ sauce will NOT be the same.

NOTHING takes the place of slow cooking/savoring.

Well you could try to describe it :(

Would it be similar to cook it in the oven at a very low temperature for a very long time?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2003, 10:02:33 AM »

Since there is a lull, and people have been posting limericks of late, I will fill in with two of my very own (one an Internet prize winner):

There was a young lady from Bucharest,
Got thrown into jail on a fluke arrest.
    The Judge said in court,
    "You tart, it's a tort!
For that was the vice squad that you carressed."

and, for those who like graphic-game limericks,

There was a young lady from Ft. Lee
Whose figure was fetching but Pt. Lee.
    She said, "Try to heft
    The breast on the left.
I'll toss you the other one Sht. Lee."
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2003, 10:04:32 AM »

Jennifer:  Your defense of Burton -- and your rationale behind blaming Lill for breaking an alliance that Burton and Jon were clearly plotting from the gitgo -- is totally perplexing.

Jon made promises on behalf of Burton that Burton reneged on...in last week's episode. NEITHER has a word that can be trusted and anyone willing to "ally" themselves deserves what they get.

What tickled me was the sheer joy on the faces of the jurors when Burton got the axe!

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2003, 10:05:51 AM »

MORE SURVIVOR TALK!!!!

I couldn't disagree more :)

Although I will agree that they were cocky.

But IMO the women (especially Darrah and Lil) are not conniving or true players, so I think Jon and Burton were right about them.

Burton and Jon wanted to vote against Darrah, since she was winning the immunities. That is what they told Lil.  It was Lil who went behind their backs and made a deal with Sandra and D.  She broke the alliance, not them.

When the returned from the reward, they realized that their only chance was to try to make a deal with Sandra. And since D won immunity, the ONLY other person they could have voted for was Lil.

I'm not saying that Burton and Jon would not have turned against Lil. I think it was clear Burton would have taken the disliked Jon to the finals. But it WAS Lil who turned her back on them (because she had a strong feeling that they would turn on her).

I think you have to do what is best for you. And I think that going with the women is better for Lil. However, you also have to promise things to people. And Lil vowed to always be honest with Burton. IMO, she went back on her word.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2003, 10:08:16 AM »

(Weird humor alert!):

Little Audrey was sitting at the breakfast table with her family.

He father picked up the cream pitcher and poured a bit of cream into his coffee. When he put the pitcher down, there was a little drop of cream clinging to the edge of the pouring spout.

Little Audrey just laughed and laughed, because she knew that little cream pitcher couldn't sniff.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 10:24:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2003, 10:12:44 AM »

MORE MORE SURVIVOR TALK!!!!

Jennifer:  Your defense of Burton -- and your rationale behind blaming Lill for breaking an alliance that Burton and Jon were clearly plotting from the gitgo -- is totally perplexing.

Jon made promises on behalf of Burton that Burton reneged on...in last week's episode. NEITHER has a word that can be trusted and anyone willing to "ally" themselves deserves what they get.

What tickled me was the sheer joy on the faces of the jurors when Burton got the axe!

Well I explained a bit more in a subsequent post.

I like Burton a lot.  To me you cannot compare Jon to Burton.

Jon might have been in an alliance with Burton. But I don't think Burton can be blamed for the things Jon has done.

When Lil and Burton were voted off, they made a deal. Yes I know a lot of people promise a lot of things on this show. You sometimes need to lie. But there are certain promises and certain alliances that you need to honor.

The deal that Lil and Burton made, to me was one of those deals that needed to be honored.

I don't think that Burton did anything to Lil last week. She knew about Christa being voted out.

What you don't realize is that Burton did not promise to go to the final two with Lil. He just promised her that they would work together, and that he would always be honest with her.

IMO, Jon and Burton would have voted out Sandra if they hadn't thought that Darrah and Lill were gonna turn on them.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2003, 10:16:56 AM »

I suppose venturing into the realm of limericks on a family site is a risky adventure, but I do love limericks.

Here's a an old classic:

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
He had a daughter named Nan,
Who ran away with a man.
And as for the cash, Nan took it.

And one of my personal favorites:

There once was a man from Madras
Whose balls were made out of brass.
When he rubbed them together,
They sang "Stormy Weather"
And lightning shot out of his ass.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2003, 10:22:23 AM »

What you don't realize is that Burton did not promise to go to the final two with Lil. He just promised her that they would work together, and that he would always be honest with her.

Lill clearly has a different take on this, and all you have is Burton's comments to Lill to support your adoration of Saint Burton.

Let's get this straight:  Burton, Jon and Lill have an alliance and only Burton. and to some extent Jon, have any right to have input or question something?  Lill has no say?  Lill not liking their choice of Darrah was somehow breaking an alliance?

No, it was not.  She was voicing dissent within the alliance, and Jon and Burton connived to oust her WITHOUT being honest with her because they could not stand having a woman questioning their decisions.

And that's what you are defending, Jennifer -- blatant male chauvinism!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 10:23:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2003, 10:23:42 AM »

What I find interesting about the AA Best Song list is how many of them are distinctly forgettable or mediocre.  It's hard to figure out how a classic like "Laura" didn't win.  What would be interesting would be to see a list of nominees and see which were actually the better songs.  Particularly in these later years have the pickings been slim...

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2003, 10:26:18 AM »

SURVIVOR, SURVIVOR!!!!!!!!

Jennifer:  The proof is in the vote:

Jon: Lill
Burton: Lill

They were breaking the alliance with their votes.  If they had ANY honor, they would have voted differently.

We will have to disagree on this.  They had no choice. Their only chance of survival was trying to persuade Sandra to vote with them.  They knew Lil and Darrah were voting against them.

IMO the funniest line of the show was Jon talking about Sandra, "she doesn't trust us, of course not we've lied so many times, but i'm pretty sure i can convince her again!"

Ron then wrote:
Lill wasn't happy about voting out Darrah, true.  But why do you think it's okay for her NOT to have a say in how the alliance plots?  You seem to play into the notion that the men should run the show.

The alliance is made up of three people, not one man, one sycophant (Jon) and one woman who's supposed to do as she's told without question (Lill).  
Neither Burton NOR Jon attempted to be honest at all with Lill, who had already been lied to and had Burton changing his pledge to her at the start of the show.

They clearly believe they could change the rules and still demand Lill's support.

I find that detestable.  

He said his pledge to her was simply to be honest. Maybe he promised more. We didn't see that. I am just going by what he said his pledge was.

And I totally don't think the men should run the show.  It's just in this case I find Darrah and Lil to be rather dull players.

I want someone to win who is smart and who has played the game.  At this point I think Jon and Sandra have shown the most.  I think you want someone honorable to win. But to me these girls have not done a thing!

Also I'm pretty sure they told Lil they wanted Darrah out and asked her if that was okay with her. Lil said something like, "well i guess it will have to be, if i don't want it to be me".

If she had said that they made a deal with Darrah and that she wanted to keep her, I think J and B would have discussed it.

Although I do think the guys were worried about how close D and Lil had become.

I guess we see this differently.  I think it was a great move for the women.  And Rupert and the gang looked thrilled. But I think Lil broke her word (and anyhow, even if Jon and Burton were going to screw her over, it doesn't give an honorable person the right to break their word).

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2003, 10:26:28 AM »

What I find interesting about the AA Best Song list is how many of them are distinctly forgettable or mediocre.  It's hard to figure out how a classic like "Laura" didn't win.  What would be interesting would be to see a list of nominees and see which were actually the better songs.  Particularly in these later years have the pickings been slim...

"Laura" was never eligible for Best Song because it was never sung in the film.  Lyrics were added to the theme after the film's release and became a hit song.

Diane

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2003, 10:35:30 AM »

Jay: OMG! That last one was hysterical

Wow..all this Survivor talk! And nothing to add!

Hope evryone is having a lovely day ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2003, 10:37:29 AM »

Good morning.. well, Good afternoon....

I slept in until shortly before Noon - just refer to my last/first post from earlier today.  Ah, well...

But I did wake in a panic thinking I had slept through something, that I was going to be late for something, etc...  So, now I'm online, and next I'll be paying some bills and doing some laundry!  Now that's fun! ;-)

As for "Survivor"... I don't think I've seen a full episode since the second season.  If a show is on between 7:00-11:00pm, Tuesday-Sunday, I usually have to catch it in reruns...If I'm lucky... or not lucky - ???

Well... I'll be back... I'm not going to Tarnation... But I'll be back.  (ugh, an Ah-nold reference)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up