Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 20860 times)

td

• td
Re:THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2003, 01:11:21 PM »

.......... not a thing, except for a few thousand posts.

are they available in DIGEST format? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2003, 01:11:31 PM »

And last year they gave the award to the MOST offensive of the nominees!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »

And what's a Friday without Michael Riedel:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122003/entertainment/13234.htm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2003, 01:12:16 PM »

This #($&#(&^%$) computer!   :P

Anyway - DR MS thanks for the list.  I like THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN song and movie - and as for which one the fountain blessed, I think, in a way, it was all of them, but most wonderfully for Miss Dorothy McGuire and Mr Clifton Webb.  I have always found Miss Maggie McNamara to be exceedingly annoying in voice and manner - but the scenery.....oy!

LOL DR MBarnum - no I am not missing, I am a prisoner of tech! Hopefully the problems will soon be solved!

TD TD TD TD TD TD TDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTD  8)

Whoever posted that link to that NZ lady!  The one I want is SOLD OUT!  :P  But thanks!

In my DVD - Allison's Perry Mason episodes thanks to DR MBARNUM, and CRIME OF PASSION with Barbara Stanwyck.

CD - Anthony Perkins Sings and the NEW Little Shop of Horrors.

VHS - Teacher's Pet with Doris and Clark and Gig!

I like most of the songs on the list, although with hindsight a lot of winners are incredible - of course the same goes for the acting and best picture winners, too.  

I love the lyrics to "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" and I think the song and score are such an asset to that lovely movie.

WELL - I will return to work on Monday - but it has not been a pleasant week.  GET YOUR FLU SHOT!!!

Also, today, after much consideration, I submitted my resignation to the theatre group I have been with for 25 years.....longer than some of our DR have been ALIVE!!!  I am sad, but it was time.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2003, 01:13:09 PM »

Avoid that format td. Too many and you will suffer from major inDIGESTion.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 01:17:54 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2003, 01:15:04 PM »

DR Diane posted that link to the New Zealand singer...thanks!

DR Panni - lovely Carl Sandburg story.  I am never that lucky when I listen in to conversations.....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2003, 01:20:56 PM »

Thank you DRs TCB and Maya. I'm doing much better with the rejection today. It's very hard when one gets himself psyched up for a part not to have it offered, and I've made that mistake SO many times in my life. It seems one doesn't actually learn as one gets older. [sigh]

Listening to the Babs Streisand do "I Remember" which she did just fine until blowing it with a contrived ending.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2003, 01:22:55 PM »

It's just great having DR td back. We have really missed you despite DR Michael Shayne's admirable attempt to represent you. There is only one DR td!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2003, 01:23:23 PM »

Also, today, after much consideration, I submitted my resignation to the theatre group I have been with for 25 years.....longer than some of our DR have been ALIVE!!!  I am sad, but it was time.

Is there a particular reason why you left that you can talk about?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2003, 01:24:34 PM »

Yes, Mr. Lurie.  I've always thought they should put Mr. Noah Ward's name on every ballot.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2003, 01:27:27 PM »

JRand. Another coincidence. Radio is playing Anthony Perkins "Prettiest Girl In School" at this very moment. It was a major hit in Oz. (After "Moonlight Swim")
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2003, 01:41:15 PM »

I took PIRATE OF THE CARIBBEAN out of the DVD player early this afternoon to save for tonight and put in DESTRY RIDES AGAIN. Just another one of those great 1939 films that make it such a monumental year in film. BTW, not a single one of Marlene Dietrich's songs in this film was Oscar nominated.

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2003, 01:42:53 PM »

Mr Barkalot Sir, do you have the date for the final nominations for the Acadamy Awards? Much appreciated your earlier lists of scores and song possibilities but can not afford to buy them all - I need to narrow down my list.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 01:45:00 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2003, 01:48:01 PM »

Ken Mandelbaum reviewed the cast CD of WICKED today. How about someone who's seen the show read the article and discuss where he's right and wrong. I'd love to read some addition opinions about the songs and performances he mentions. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=32918&CT=8

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2003, 01:49:50 PM »

well DR TCB - as usual there are some members of the board who feel it is their duty to take over.

We do shows from June-Sept...it is an ALL volunteer organization.  And now two members have decided that we can no longer loan costumes or props to anyone - even though the only people who ask are those we borrow things from or who work on our shows year after year.  In fact, these said props and costumes will be locked up and only these two people will decide who can get what....

Same two people - who do not direct - have decided that there  should be a casting committee to help directors choose the "right" people to be in their shows.

Last summer, a new director decided that no one could be in her show if they were participating in the show preceding it.....my cousin Brad was directing GYPSY and needed someone to play Uncle Jocko and Mr Goldstone.  I said I would, and said director told me I could not audition for her show.  I brought it up at the meeting and the same two people and another supported the director - I was not the only one involved with GYPSY who had planned on auditioning for the show - but they thought it was a great idea and that she could do whatever she wanted, she was the director.

Anyway...stuff like that and MORE - same battles for 25 years, time to go.  Sad, but true.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2003, 01:54:09 PM »

I've seen WICKED and can sum up the problem in one simple sentence: 2 excellent shows --- an intimate story about 2 witches and a big scale musical extravaganza --- are fighting for stage time, each taking away from the other rather than adding to it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2003, 02:08:49 PM »

You missed what I asked for, WEL. I wanted you to read Mandlebaum's comments and debate or agree with them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2003, 02:09:44 PM »

That is a shame Jrand, but certainly understandable.  And these are the same people that a year from now will be lamenting the fact that they can't get people to be involved in their theater.

Is there another theater company, near by, that you can become involved with in the future?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2003, 02:12:16 PM »

Golden Globe noms will be announced December 18.
SAG noms January 15.
Golden Globe winners January 25.
Oscar noms January 27.
SAG winners February 22.
Oscar winners February 29.

Here is a revised look at the Oscar's Best Song category to help narrow your purchases (with the best stab at the song from the film to be nominated - all in order of probability of a nomination):

1. Lord of the Rings ("Into the West")
2. Brother Bear ("Great Spirits")
3. A Mighty Wind ("Kiss At the End...")
4. In America ("Time Enough For Tears")
5. Cold Mountain ("Dead Man's Rope")

6. Mona Lisa...("Heart of Every Girl")
7. Down With Love ("Here's To Love")
8. School of Rock ("School of Rock")
9. Big Fish ("Man of the Hour")
10. Camp ("Here's Where I Stand")

The winner will definitely be one of the above and chances are very good that the noms will all come from the above. For completists, what follows are the rest of the pack:

Open Range ("Holding All My Love...)
Piglet's Big Movie ("The More I Look...)
The Cat in the Hat ("Getting Better")
Rugrats Go Wild
Holes ("Dig It")
Gods & Generals ("Cross the Green...")
Masked & Annonymous ("City of Gold")
Charlie's Angels  III ("Real Good Time")
Lost in Translation ("City Girl")
The Triplets of Belleville ("Belleville Rendezvouz")
Whale Rider ("Go Forward")
Legally Blonde 2 ("We Can")
Veronica Guerin ("One More Day")
Hero ("Hero")

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2003, 02:26:40 PM »

I'm off to the thee-ay-tor.... See you lay-tor.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2003, 02:27:57 PM »

I liked several of the songs in A MIGHTY WIND. I'd like to see more than one song from it to get nominated, but I guess I should be happy even with one of them.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2003, 02:29:55 PM »

Well...  I am happy to report a story on Broadway.com where they say Susan Egan will be taking over for Sutton Foster when she exits MILLIE.  Having just seen the show, I can say I will definitely be back to enjoy it with Susan. While not the best written show.. it was certainly entertaining - and one can never NOT see Ms. Egan perform when one has the chance...

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2003, 02:33:36 PM »

Yes, I love Susan Egan's voice and stage presence. She should make a sensational Millie.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2003, 02:48:18 PM »

I'm back. . .

Dramatic much?

;D

Welcome Back, Tony Dale!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2003, 02:53:37 PM »

Thanks for the dates Mr Bakalor.  Seems like 2003 just got started!

Yes, TCB, I work in other theatres, but this USED to be my favorite one.  And what you say is so true......"why don't people like to work with us?"  LOL....they don't want to know the answer.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2003, 02:58:48 PM »

Thanks for that Mark. A friend just emailed me a wonderful review of "Brother Bear". Disney gets it right at last!
It is in theatres in OZ on boxing day.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2003, 03:12:49 PM »

Dear Reader TCB:

Break a leg tonight!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2003, 03:13:25 PM »

Ken Mandelbaum reviewed the cast CD of WICKED today. How about someone who's seen the show read the article and discuss where he's right and wrong. I'd love to read some addition opinions about the songs and performances he mentions. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=32918&CT=8

What a great overview from Mandelbaum.  At least he gets what most everyone who has seen the show get and continue to get since many folks return again and again to see the show.

I went twice in San Francisco, and he's correct about the songs -- they stay with you.  I will admit I was at a loss to recall a specific song after my first time at the theater, but then it's not a show that keeps throwing its main tune at you again and again.  There were 21 songs in the show when I saw it at the Curran.  On my second visit, most were like recently made friends who were suddenly becoming familar faces.  In the case of "The Wizard and I," the second time was like hearing it for the first time, possibly because I was seeing it from the balcony rather than three feet from the right side of the stage.

I haven't heard the CD so I cannot compare it to the theatrical experience I had.  But I can say that it's with eager anticipation that I await its arrival.

I think Mandelbaum has a pretty good take on the musical numbers.  I disagree with his dismissal of "I'm Not That Girl" as being nothing more than a ballad thrown in for the pop charts.  Many shows have pleasant, soulful numbers that go nowhere outside of the show.  Of all the songs in this show, it's "I'm Not That Girl" that has the best chance at becoming a standard, IMO.  At least, I think it should become one.  In the hands of someone like BK and his arranger, and with the right vocal interpretation, it could be a stunner!  In the show, I found it moving, if not a bit rushed.  

Truthfully, the second act seemed to have a song every other minute.  It felt like they were dropping scenes to accommodate another song.  I wondered, "How many songs could Schwartz have written for this show and how many did they drop and why do they think they can keep the ones they're doing now when the show runs 3 hours at a fast clip?"  They came at me so quickly that I found it hard to react properly...there was no time to assimilate "the moment" that the songs were commemorating.  On the second trip to the show, this was less a problem, but the show was still three hours and I don't know if that has changed or not.

I know the show has its detractors, but they are few.  As Mandelbaum rightly points out, the show is a huge success even playing in one of the largest and most viewer-unfriendly theaters on Broadway...it's playing to near-capacity every week.  

I don't believe I've ever intimated that I felt the show was perfect.  But it IS a magical marriage of a theme with which most of us are familiar, presenting us with information that tickles our fancies, excites our grey cells and rewards us with some pretty good musical numbers and stuns us with the bravado of theatrical technology in its stunning lighting design, elaborate sets and costumes and state-of-the-art sound.

There are many things wrong with the theater nowadays, and many "experts" who consistently expound upon what they are, but this show is not one of them.

This show is a miracle.  It entertains, it makes you laugh and it wows you!  It deserves a place on Broadway for however long folks are willing to indulge in its pleasures.

I think -- and thought from the beginning -- that it will be for a long time.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 04:16:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Michael

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2003, 03:16:41 PM »

I was going to post the oscar losers but it was too long and deleted it agter I spent almost an hour posting it! AAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
So here is the link I probably shpuld have posted first

http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/DisplayMain.jsp?curTime=1071266889800
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2003, 03:18:26 PM »

DR MATT

So sorry you didn't get the role. Maybe you should have slept with the director.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up