Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNFASHIONABLY LATE NOTES  (Read 50056 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE UNFASHIONABLY LATE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »

I must now leave.  I'm going to see a local production of A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum, that's put on by a local kids' (ages up to 16, so they're not all that young) theater summer program.  Last week they did Evita and next week they're doing 42nd Street.  I really want to see that.  Later!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:56:29 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~PAGE THREE VIRGIN DANCE!!~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D [/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »

It is hot and I am watching JACK MCCALL, DESPERADO (1953) starring George Montgomery...fun western.

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »

I have no energy today. I have half heartedly tried to nap a couple times, but decided not to.  Boo is now running free and Cal is in the kitchen. She's not too pleased about it, but if we could all just get along, she wouldn't have to be there.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2006, 02:00:54 PM »

I did something totally dumb today. I washed my billfold. I thought I checked the back pocket of the shorts I was washing, but I guess I didn't. Stupid, stupid me!

Anyway, of all the paper items in the wallet, what's the one paper item that was destroyed beyond recognition. You guessed it, my car registration. So, I've just come from the online website where I ordered a new one. My little lapse in sanity cost me $15.00.

The cash that was in my wallet, well, not only was it only slightly wet, it dried faster than any other paper items in the wallet. I guess that rag paper it's printed on is more resillient to moisture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »

I watched several things on DVD today. I started out with "Death Ship," an hour long episode from Season 4 of THE TWILIGHT ZONE. It starred Ross Martin and Jack Klugman and was written by Richard Matheson. Superb episode which I had never seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »

To qwell my curiosity about the Region 1 I CLAUDIUS, I put in the first disc. On the Region 1 discs, all of the episodes are a little short of an hour, and there are 13 episodes. Maybe the Euopean version combined the first two episodes if it was longer than an hour? I watched the first two on side one of the set. The shows are on three double sided discs.

At any rate, I'd say the video quality is 3 1/2 out of 5. Nothing looks awful, the color is solid (for mostly videotaped scenes), and the mono sound is clear and solid. So, I don't know who's reviewing this set so badly that you've read, bk, but it's better than mediocre, I'd say. The series is 30 years old after all.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

I finished the afternoon watching YOUNG AND INNOCENT, an Alfred Hitchcock film I had never seen before. It's one of his British works, and this one is very similar to THE 39 STEPS (which it followed), perhaps a bit jollier in tone than STEPS and not having quite as charismatic leading actors as STEPS had. Still, most enjoyable.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »

Well, it is still hot...96 degrees..I know no one feels sorry for me since most of you have been suffering with it for much longer then Oregon has...but doggone it!

I think I will give Bosco a bath outside to cool him off...then I must watch UTAH BLAIN starring Rory Calhoun! I am in quite a 50s western kick right now!

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »

I do mean to watch ON BORROWED TIME when I go back down later today. I'll be dubbing that to a DVD-R.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2006, 02:14:05 PM »

MattH, I saw YOUNG AND INNOCENT several years ago and remember it as being quite good...isn't there a cool scene involving the car??

Did anyone watch CAB TO CANADA last night? It was on my list of favorite TV movies and low and behold it was on one of the cable channels...there seems to be one that shows nothing but old TV movies!! I don't remember the station but will post it when I find out.

CAB TO CANADA was made a few years ago and stars Maureen O'Hara and Jason Beghe. Quite a good little film.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2006, 02:28:01 PM »

MattH, I saw YOUNG AND INNOCENT several years ago and remember it as being quite good...isn't there a cool scene involving the car??

There are several. It runs out of gas, and they have to push it. They slow down to scoop up the heroine's dog (a beautiful shot). They scoot across railroad tracks just in front of an oncoming train.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »

I guess I'll head down now and start cleaning my bathroom. Then, it's back to the den to continue my Sunday Movie Marathon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2006, 02:46:23 PM »

I just read reader reviews at amazon - I should know that those should always be suspect.  The BBC must have combined the first two hours, I guess.  The quality is really excellent on the region 2.  I'm assuming that the rest of the episodes are one hour - also, there was some talk on amazon of the US set being slightly shorter than the original broadcasts.  The UK set is on five DVDs and includes some nice extras.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »

Less than ninety postings until I achieve my new plateau.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »

Well, I've pulled myself back together after watching one of my favorite tear-jerking chick flicks, Stepmom.  Don't mind me, I'll be OK...

Family's going out to dinner, then to the grocery.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

Sorry to hear about the baby birds.

Today i watched my first episode of Project Runway. NBC showed it last monday, and will show episode 2 this monday.

I know i would love it. But i don't get Bravo. My sis does get it on LIFE a few weeks delayed, so i may ask her to tape it if NBC stops showing it.

Does anybody know how long NBC is planning to show it for? It would be sort of mean for them to get people hooked and then stop showing it. But perhaps many people in the US get Bravo.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »

OMG has anybody here been reading the Big Brother updates. All heck is breaking loose in the house!

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

Thanks DR Jose. I went to youtube.com and typed in "so you think you can dance" and apparently heidi and travis' dance is very popular. It is really beautiful. I'm glad i was able to see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdPhnpvcRk&search=so%20you%20think%20you%20can%20dance
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:45:21 PM by Jennifer »

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

OMG has anybody here been reading the Big Brother updates. All heck is breaking loose in the house!

Almost makes me wish I hadn't cancelled my 24/7 subscription, but reading it is just a good....and free

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2006, 03:52:13 PM »

My goodness, we're all sitting here like so much fish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2006, 03:52:27 PM »

I may take a little drive soon.

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2006, 03:53:29 PM »

Thanks DR Jose. I went to youtube.com and typed in "so you think you can dance" and apparently heidi and travis' dance is very popular. It is really beautiful. I'm glad i was able to see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdPhnpvcRk&search=so%20you%20think%20you%20can%20dance

That was a beautiful dance. Thanks for the link. It was nice to wash it again

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »

They are having something of a Ken Burns mini marathon on our local PBS station. Civil War, Statue of Liberty and The Shakers.  I know I've seen the Statue of Liberty documentary before, but I'm finding I don't remember it very well. It's quite good.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2006, 04:15:44 PM »

There are several. It runs out of gas, and they have to push it. They slow down to scoop up the heroine's dog (a beautiful shot). They scoot across railroad tracks just in front of an oncoming train.

Hmmn...what I was thinking of was scene where a ledge or something collapses with the car and the couple barely make it out...I might be thinking of a different movie.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2006, 04:22:26 PM »

Last night I watched a show called TSUNAMI on the Discovery Channel.  I imagine it has been on before.  Has anyone else seen it?  It details the 12/26/04 tsunami in Southeast Asia using real video, first person memories, and recreations.  Wow!  It is pretty powerful stuff.  I had seen a lot of still photos of the water and the damage, but some of this video is horrifying.  It is not easy to watch, but it is very well done.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2006, 04:28:13 PM »

After nailing the Trivia Contest two weeks in a row, I couldn't wait for Saturday's notes.  Well, guess what?  I haven't a clew!

Pride goeth before a fall.
[/i][/size]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2006, 04:29:29 PM »

Let's
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »

I'm not going to have an answer to submit this week....but I'll try it again next week. I think I do better with musicals.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2006, 04:30:06 PM »

get
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up