Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE JULY/HELLO AUGUST  (Read 26925 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GOODBYE JULY/HELLO AUGUST
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:10:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes bid adieu to July and bon jour to August, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they took Spanish in cow school and are thus trying to figure out what adieu and bon jour mean.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:56:15 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GOODBYE JULY/HELLO AUGUST
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:14:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: NEOTENY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:57 AM »

My favorite amusement park rides are mostly at Disneyland.  I don't really have any favorite rides from travelling fairs and places like that.  I loved Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the Haunted House and Pirates of the Caribbean.  I vaguely remember enjoying the Mission To the Moon (or was it Mars or did it change to Mars?).  Otherwise, I've never been on a rollercoaster that has gone upside down, so I have no idea if I'd like it or not.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:29:49 AM »

My all-time favorite (and really only) arcade game was one that my friend Andrew and I played in high school.  It was a video game called Jungle Hunt.  They actually had it at a Shakey's Pizza Parlour (long gone, now) and we would play for hours...well, maybe not hours, but every time we'd go for pizza, we'd have to play.  And we both got fairly good at it, although Andrew was much better than I was.  Anyway, it was pretty simple.  Just jump over alligators and swing from vines and avoid other enemies and obstacles.  What was unusal (to me, now that I think about it) was that you travelled from right to left.  Most games that I have ever played, for the most part, have the action move from the left to the right.  I miss Jungle Hunt. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:31:55 AM »

You can get the Atari game cartridge on eBay, but I don't have an Atari system, and I'm not going to get a whole vintage home game system just for one game...probably. ::)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 12:33:09 AM »

I like all the rides at Disneyland, though I have to go on them by myself because my family is afraid of them. We haven't been there in years.

Only DR Kerry will remember Legend City, a local amusement park that closed many many years ago.

I have never played an arcade game, that I can recall.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »

You know what I really dislike about taking an afternoon nap? The fact that it's hard to get to sleep that night.

George

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:37:05 AM »

I hate it when that happens!

George

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:39:39 AM »

Well, I must be going...but not to sleep, yet.  I need to pay my bills.  My direct deposit has gone through and now I have money!  (I LOVE it when that happens! ;))

Good night, DearReaderLaura.

And SLEEP VIBES!! 8)

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:57:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: NEOTENY!
Hark, YON TEEN who stands mature yet retains a NEOTENY in his visage!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 03:11:12 AM »

There is an amusement park on the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk.  The grandlads love the place, of course.  I'd rather stay away.  Too much noise, too much crowding.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:06 AM »

Work beckons.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 04:23:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am going to head into the office this morning and pack some work for an Ohio trip if my family feels I should head to Ohio.  I am hoping this setback is temporary, but I fear these constant and violent shifts in health cannot be good for an 85 year-old system.  Ther fact that he's begging to be readmitted to hospital disturbs me.

I've got work for Klea Blackhurst, a small bit of BABES IN TOYLAND remaining, and I hope that Tom Murray can send me from London some files on THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER piano-vocals to edit.

I realized that, since I won't know anything about my dad's status until later in the afternoon, that the flight tomorrow morning may be filled.  If so, I'll go on Wednesday.   I need to check flights now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 05:05:55 AM »

Back from MTL.

Health vibes to all DR who need them.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 05:31:18 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIBES FOR DR ELMORE'S DAD  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 05:31:51 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM'S MOTHER  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 05:32:14 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIBES FOR DR DAKOTACELT'S DAD  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 05:35:46 AM »

Best thoughts and vibes to Elmore's Dad and Vixmom's Mom and Dakota's Dad

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 05:46:06 AM »

TOD:

Favorite ride has to be this thing that's called Music Express on Wonderland Pier in Ocean City, NJ.  It's a ring of cars that goes around a track with hills at incredible speeds, forwards then backwards.  It's not exactly Space Mountain, but I can appreciate it as a thrill that's not overly thrilling.

I also like water park slides, but only after I've gone down them a few times and get accustomed to the route (learning when to slow down and when to let myself speed through the chutes.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »

TOD2:

My absolute favorite arcade game is Space Invaders, which I can play for hours.  I also like modern pinball machines, the kind that have the steel ramps and hidden doors and traps.  Classic Pac-Man is fun, too--I know the paths to use and can really run up the score on that one.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 06:11:50 AM »

I spy a Kerry!

Mail alert for Mr. Kerry Hughes! Sometime next week probably depending on when I get to the Post Office and when they deliver it.

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

Good Morning, Ben!  Good Morning, All.

It's still July, and as much as I'm tired of the heat we've had and want the summer to be over, it is still only July. So no, Hello, August" yet.

One day closer to going to Hollywood USA to see Bruce and Jason and Laura and Sandra.  Yippee.

Arcade games are not realy my thing.  But rollercoasters and "thrill rides" can make me lose contol  (Just like hot dogs make Patty Lane lose contorl)

Off for breakfast-- toast or cereal?  Toast, I guess.  Hey, Bruce-- pancakes at DuPar's later this week, perhaps?

Good vibes to everyone's families.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 06:27:29 AM »

I loved the roller coaster at P.O.P. and the skytram that took out over the pier ( I think-- all I really remember about it was that you got to be suspended over the ocean).

Magic Mountain has great coasters.  I've heard Knott's Berry Farm has great coasters too, but I haven't been to Knott's Berry Farm since it was, well, a berry farm.  There was a western town where you could pan for gold and what not and get the famous chicken dineer, but there really weren't rides to speak of.  And yet, I speak of them.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 07:02:44 AM »

Good morning!

We're in for a week of blistering heat and no rain. Argh! It's going to be in the mid to high 90s for the next several days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 07:04:40 AM »

Yes, all DRs who need good thoughts can consider them issued. I'm sorry that folks are going through rough patches right now regarding health of family members. It's very hard to concentrate on other things with worries like those on your minds. Take care!

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 07:07:40 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John who went to the national tour of BOMBAY DREAMS last night (its last night here in Charlotte). I'll be interested to see what he thought of it.

My friend Gregg who I often travel to NYC with went to see it on Thursday night and was not especially impressed. He felt the same way about it as he did about AIDA which was adequate but not sensational. (BTW, he thought CAROLINE OR CHANGE was the best musical he had seen in NYC in the last decade if that gives you any basis for comparison.)

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 07:08:58 AM »

Today I will have last night's episodes of ENTOURAGE, RENO 911 and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT to watch. I also have the episode of CSI: MIAMI which I started last night but didn't finish.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:46 AM »

Hey, I'm the only one in the place!  :(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »

I've just been notified by both sisters-in-law that my dad was taken my Emergency Squad to hospital this morning.   I am now on hold until my reservation is booked.  After I see my doctor this afternoon, I will deal with a flight reservation for tomorrow or Wednesday, if everything is booked for tomorrow.  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 07:29:59 AM »

(((((Elmore)))))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up