Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRIDAY THAT SEEMED LIKE SATURDAY  (Read 22751 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE FRIDAY THAT SEEMED LIKE SATURDAY
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 07:32:29 AM »

...Of course, I did basically get 12 hours of sleep, so...  In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 07:33:19 AM »

DR elmore - Glad to know things in Ohio are improving - in general, at least.

I'm about to write you an e-mail, so check in a couple of minutes.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 07:34:24 AM »

TOD - DVD:  Capote
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:32 AM »

DR Ginny - I'm not sure about She Loves Me just yet.  That doesn't open until mid-November, I think, anyway.  In the meantime, there's Cabaret to deal with.

*I have to say, that for such a "popular" show, it's amazing how dark it is.  Even before Sam Mendes got his hands on it.

**Oh, and it turns out Arena already has an MD for She Loves Me - who I believe was the guy in line for the Civil War Christmas show which got postponed.  The assistant slot is still open, and we'll discuss that possibility/option next week.  Stay tuned for details.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:48 AM »

Good Morning, DR SWW and DerBrucer!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 07:36:03 AM »

Good Morning, DR Ann!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 07:36:51 AM »

OK - I have a few e-mails to take care, and then it's off to SouthWest DC for my production meeting at Arena...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2006, 07:40:04 AM »

Good morning!

This is supposed to be the last of our hellish hot days for awhile, but I'll believe it when I feel it. When I went out to get the newspaper this morning at 8 a.m., it felt like it was 90 outside (actually, 81). Completely dead, hot, humid air.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2006, 07:42:01 AM »

THE FULL MONTY was a wonderful show, and Matt Ashford (or any other hunky actor who can sing) would be lucky to be in it. Great storylines for the guys, decent music (I preferred David Yazbeck's score for DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS more, but MONTY was his first effort for Broadway and a winning one), an entertaining show.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »

I'm sorry I missed your post on the possible new CAROUSEL film, DR Elmore, because I certainly think it's a great idea and would love to have discussed it with the forum.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2006, 07:45:01 AM »

I finally heard from Amazon yesterday that the MR. MOTO collection had shipped. Ordinarily, I'd expect it on Saturday, but with the shoddy mail service we've had here lately, I doubt it will come until mid-week next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »

One thing I am really anticipating in the mail is the last EBay item I won: the Criterion laserdisc of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. This is the version that contains the Ron Haver running commentary, one of the best commentaries I've ever listened to for a film.

Of course, nothing can match the stupendous image and sound quality of the special edition DVD, but I wanted that laserdisc strictly for that commentary, and was so happy I won it (especially so cheaply.)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »

BK, I'll be happy to serve as best man...but don't you already have several similar "common law" wives like this all over the country...women who you are besotted with on Thursday (or Wednesday or any other day of the week) so long as they keep to their neck of the woods and don't hem you in?  I'm not sure how the rest of your long-distance, heart-broken young harem will take the news...Charming as you are, I'm sure they'll accept it all with good grace, even though it means they must once again subdivide the bounty of your affection with yet another.  

There was a song written for BK, "When I'm not near the one I love...I'm very relieved."

I had a Bruce Kimmel nostalgia night last night.  (Guess I'm missing you, old son) Watched bits and pieces of WHAT IF? and FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL.  WHAT IF? is still a marvel and I kept wondering if Central Kentucky audiences would be hip enough to get this show?  It would be perfect for the local professional theatre on whose board I now am a member.  My other question is how do you that laugh that you did in First Nudie Musical and can you still do it?

You were also invoked yesterday on a local theatre board here in a discussion about Li'L Abner.  I gave them a link to Kritzerland, so you may gets some hits

It's opening night again for The Lovely Wife.  She's been directing a group of teens all summer in a program called "Page to Stage" in conjunction with the theatre here, Actors' Guild of Lexington (the one whose board I'm on) and the Lexington Library.  They took a book, The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher, developed it into a play and give two performances tonight and tomorrow.  So all vibes and xylophones will be appreciated.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - CARMEN JONES (soundtrack)

DVD - CAPTAIN JANUARY
          LITTLE WOMEN (the 1949 version with June Allyson)
          THE DETECTIVE

DVR - last night's THE OFFICE
          PROOF

laserdisc - (hopefully) SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 07:52:18 AM »

Of course, there are new episodes of MONK and PSYCH tonight for those interested.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2006, 07:58:09 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - "Page to Stage" sounds like wonderfully inventive, collaborative program!  Broken leg wishes to your wife and her young troupe!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »

Have my usual Friday errands to run, so off now to get cleaned up to go face the heat and humidity of outside.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2006, 09:19:33 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I must say I've only been getting about five hours of sleep every night and it's starting to get to me.

Cillaliz - didn't have the chili fries - they scare me, actually.

Pogue - I can still do the John Smithee laugh.  

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

I do hope that someday DR Adriana Patti will tell us the story behind her avatar...

Well, this was the hollywood high school production of Gypsy in which I compleatly dominated the first 15 minuets as the incredibly perky and flexible Baby June. The costume I am wearing is compleatly hand made by MY MOTHER. I was in the middle of humbly picking up the beautiful costumes our lovely diva gypsy rose had left simply stewn all over the stage floor ( rented from Sony ), because she could not be bothered to pick them up.

She never worked with a director at that school again, and I got the lead in next sememsters play.... ;)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2006, 09:41:11 AM »

DR Adriana Patti - thanks for the story about your avatar!  You're very cute as Baby June and your mother is a very talented seamstress.  The diva got what she deserved.  What was the next semester's play?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »

Hiya, kids!

I got back to the cabin at around 8 pm last night. Gosh, it's wonderful to be back. The raccoons came at about 2:30 - I heard them clunking around on the deck, and gave them cat food which I keep handy for their nocturnal visits. One of them is quite tame and reaches his hand into the bowl even as I'm pouring kibbles. And now, to the birds! I'll see if they will hop onto my knee to get peanuts. May take a few days for them to remember I don't eat blue jays..

And tonight I'll hie me to Issaquah, to the Village Theater, where Mr. Landau's Starfighter is playing. That'll be fun. Maybe I'll see our DR George, too.

Off to peanut the birds. More later.
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:35 AM »

Well, this tells me that I'd better get a couple of tickets for A Chorus Line!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:00:50 AM by Ginny »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  My father continues to improve.  Last night my brother Randy and I took him a strawberry milkshake, which he liked, but he onlydrank  a few ounces.  We'll see how he's progressing today.  

On the negative side, my evil brother mentioned the dread words "nursing home" yesterday to Randy.  My biggest fear is that Lady Macbeth, who you all know has a problem, will be calling his oncologist and suggesting it on the grounds that Randy and Jo Ann are incapable of taking care of him.  She's already telling people that Randy and Jo Ann are to blame for his being back in hospital and that my dad moved out of their house because they were too strict on controlling his medications.  Alas, the reason he moved out was because Lady Macbeth on July Fifth had too much pills and liquor and told my dad what she thought he owed them, while my evil brother attacked me.  Feeling betrayed by someone he cared about and trusted,  he moved to Randy's the next day.  He's been happy there, and Randy wants him back.  Oy!

DR MattH, I mentioned the CAROUSEL remake on Wednesday, I believe, after I saw it mentioned on the Cast Recording List.

TOD:  I only brought a few CDs to play in the car:  THE TRAGIC AND HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SINGING NUN, some Scott Joplin, BABES IN TOYLAND, my evil brother's and Lady Macbeth's blues band demo.

Elmore, I'm glad to hear that your father's health is improving but very disappointed to hear that Lady McB is being such a b. What do you think her motivation is for wanting him moved to a nursing home??  If your father and brother are happy with their living arrangement and the rest of the family excluding Lady McB are comfortable, then there doesn't really seem to be a reason to change things.  Is there a hospital social worker that you have been working with or can loop into things?  If everyone is happy and your father is getting the care he needs, I can't see a social worker recommending a move.  Your dad should be somewhere where he is comfortable and cared for by family and friends rather than being moved to a new environment.

End of social worker rant.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »

...And tonight I'll hie me to Issaquah, to the Village Theater, where Mr. Landau's Starfighter is playing. That'll be fun. Maybe I'll see our DR George, too...

Have fun, DR PennyO - hope to see some pictures!

I'm glad to see that you survived your RV adventure and that you're back in your peaceful cabin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »

I had to go out and do an errand, and now I'll try to gird my loins to jog.  Must write a bit today - it's been difficult to find time this week.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »

If there's anything more gallumphing than a Giselle in a Girdle, that would be me trying to catch an 8 a.m. plane.  But I somehow seem to be on schedule, so if all goes right, I'll be in Seattle later this morning (Seattle time), and in Issaquah by this afternoon.

George - Thanks for the report on last night's show at the Village Theatre Festival.  The theater sounds intimate in the way it's designed, but when I multiply your numbers, 20 rows of 12 seats each still sounds like 240 SEATS TO FILL!  I'm hoping Last Starfighter has a decent showing tonight in terms of seeming to fill that theater.

If the audience last night was only made up of subscribers and members, I don't think that there will be any problem filling up the theater...or at least getting it quite full!  I'm sure that most, if not all of them will come back!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »

In my CD player (when I get to work) will be the original cast recording of The Last Starfighter! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 10:21:43 AM »

~~~Continued Vibes for Elmore and his Father!!~~~

George

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »

And tonight I'll hie me to Issaquah, to the Village Theater, where Mr. Landau's Starfighter is playing. That'll be fun. Maybe I'll see our DR George, too.

You definitely will!! ;D

George

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »

And now...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up