Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING MY HEAD TOGETHER  (Read 16692 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GETTING MY HEAD TOGETHER
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:58:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were together, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just getting their collective heads together.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:33:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GETTING MY HEAD TOGETHER
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:59:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: HABILIMENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 02:00:58 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to planogirl and Diane, whomever they may be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:04:08 AM »

TOTD:
A Quiet Thing
I Don't Remember You
The Happy Time
Sometimes A Day Goes By
The Butterfly
The Elephant Song
Wet
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 02:05:39 AM »

In 5 more hours my Father shall be 100 years old.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 04:34:33 AM »

Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:08 AM »

Good morning, all!  A happy birthday to your father, DR Tomovoz!  My father's grandmother lived to 104.  I wish he would.

In 2001, when the Packard Humanities Institute began the Kern-Herbert project with a certain maestro who deserves no mention, the recording manager was the wonderrful Alison Fox, a retired Angel-EMI manager, and she was the angel on the project, getting us car service to and from Abbey Road, our hotel, and Heathrow; trying to keep the maestro's continuous whims on schedule; soothing ruffled feathers; and being a continuous source of sanity.  She's in Manhattan this week for a holiday, and we will have lunch.  I look forward to her account of what she's been up to since I last saw her in 2002.  I'm hoping that we can throw her some sort of PHI gathering before she leaves.

My best frioend Ron Raines met his lovely wife Dona D Vaughn when they worked on a complete recording of Friml's operetta ROSE MARIE for the Smithsonian in the early 1980s.  The soprano Deborah Vanderlinde, who sang Rose Marie, sang at Ron and Dona's wedding.  This recording was never released.  

For years I had cassettes in rather poor sound, which had been given me by the assistant MD on the project.  Recently, through the Cast Recording List, I found information on purchasing bootleg CDs.  The set arrived yesterday. and the sound is great.  I'm burning a set for Ron and Dona as I type this.

TOD:  Sometimes a Day Goes By
         I Don't Remember You
         Class
         The Elephant Song
         Home

Like Rodgers & Hart, my Kander & Ebb faves change every whim!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:46 AM »

Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben.

Hello, DR Tomovoz!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:30:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: HABILIMENT!
Maurice thought that, in donning the HABILIMENT of a mime for the costume party, he was sure to be A NIMBLE HIT, but it turned out four others had arrived with the same idea.  They spent the entire time staring at each other silently.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 05:32:56 AM »

TOD
A Quiet Thing (my favorite and I think L. Minnelli's version is the worst)
I Don't Remember You
Sometimes A Day Goes By
Marry Me
Yes
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:33:34 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 05:47:35 AM »

What a yesterday we had.

After I got off work, der B and I headed up to Dover for some supplies shopping, and then picked up the grandlads.  Der Grampa and had given them both gift cards from Borders, and since der G also had a birthday bonus from same he decided it was time to cash in.

Alex, nine, decided he wanted a DVD set of Pokemon movies.  Der B called Magic Mommy about this, and she flatly refused, because she "hates" Pokemon, no further reason needed as far as she is concerned.  Alex had a meltdown, fortunatley not too loud of one.  William, also fortunately, was meltdown-free.  They both eventually found books, and we headed on to a restaurant, where they were both fairly well behaved... but the service was incredibly slow.

Then we headed on back to their home, where Alex told Magic Mommy that he hates her, and she replied nonchalantly "Well, I hate you too."

Magic Mommy, Alex, William, and der Grampa are all heading off today for Cub Scout Camp, William officially for the first time as he is now old enough to be a cub.  I shall be all alone in the house for one night.

And that is the end of my report.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »

Time for me to get ready for my appointment with my shrink, for my quarterly shrinkage.  It's a nice way to keep up my perscription for the antidepressants, and Doctor and I have a nice chat every time.  I'm probably one of his easiest patients to deal with.  Maybe he should pay me?    8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 05:53:45 AM »

I'll catch up on all the everything when I get back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »

Whew!  What a day DR SWW.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 06:51:02 AM »

Betty White was there?  Betty White?

Betty "wrote" a great biographical book about her early days in television, her marriage to Allen Ludden, and her later career called HERE WE GO AGAIN.  If you are a TV fan and haven't read it, I recommend it highly.

She is a pioneer....and can be pretty damn funny!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:51:57 AM »

SUESSICAL opens tonight and I am selling tickets and then cleaning up....but then I don't have to do ANYTHING about it again until NEXT Thursday, when I will be doing the same thing.

Hopefully there won't be too many crazy people at the box office tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »

I love all the Kander and Ebb songs mentioned.....but just for singing fun I have to add:

They Both Reached for the Gun

FJL

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 06:54:16 AM »

Happy birthday to Tomovoz's father!

FJL

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 06:59:27 AM »

I keep falling behind on the postings.  Sorry for my errancy and truancy.  Yesterday, in addition to being a chock-full day workwise, I spent a few hours with my friend who is improving tremendously after a stroke a month ago.

I also had to go to Great Neck last night.  The train ride home was a shock.  The train was basically empty and the ride very pleasant, and I was thinking boy, this LIRR is great.  Then, at Shea Stadium, what must have been a thousand people got on the train and it went from paradise to the crowded train ride from hell the rest of the way.  Bad timing on my part, I guess.  

FJL

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 07:01:18 AM »

Call me crazy, but the Kander & Ebb song that I keep humming is "So What Else Is New?" from WOMAN OF THE YEAR.  Love that song!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 07:21:32 AM »

GOod morning!

It was very overcast when I got up this morning, and I thought we might be in for a day of rain, but the clouds have cleared away, and it's now blue skies and hot temperatures, another typical August day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 07:26:07 AM »

I forgot to mention that I finished ON EDGE yesterday and began Tab Hunter's autobiography. I must say, I only read the prologue and about half the first chapter, but I was particularly impressed with the prologue. Very direct and compelling. Definitely made me want to continue readng.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »

Good morning everyone.  Sorry to have been so E&T these last few days.  It's been a very busy time for me but hopefully I will soon have good news to report.

Later this afternoon, Rodzinski and I will be flying out to the midwest to hang with his family and attend our friends' wedding.  Our initial plan of conveniently carrying on our bags has been dashed in light of the recent London airport terror alert.  Nobody is allowed to carry on any liquids: water, soda, shampoo, lotion, hair gel... it's suggested that people check their bags.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:26 AM »

SO many favorite Kander and Ebb songs:

"Maybe This Time"

"I Don't Remember You"

"A Quiet Thing"

"My Own Best Friend"

"Everybody Dance"

"Think Happy"

are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 07:36:52 AM »

Today I'll get to complete my Jane Powell education by watching HOLIDAY IN MEXICO, her only MGM musical that I have now not seen. Looking forward to that.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 07:40:16 AM »

There are two GREY'S ANATOMY episodes from this season on tonight (they had been showing season one repeats on Thursdays for the past month or so), so I guess if I want to see all of season 1, I'm going to have to rent/buy used the boxed set of the show.

Also, tonight, a funny OFFICE repeat (Dwight in his neo-Nazi mode delivering a speech), and the CSI episode that featured the underground bunker and eleven corpses.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 07:44:33 AM »

So happy to read about the potential there for CURTAINS. I'd love for Kander and Ebb to have one last hit. STEEL PIER was such a disaster for them, and I'd love them to have something new go over big.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 07:59:22 AM »

TPunk -- I saw that on the news this morning. Several days from now I have to fly to Pasadena for a meeting. Everything I need is in a medium-sized purse and my computer case. I hope it is all resolved by then, because I really don't want to have to check my purse.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »

On short trips, I would really rather drive.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »

TOD: WALKING AMONG MY YESTERDAYS
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 08:01:51 AM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up