Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MEXICAN BALLET  (Read 14664 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:MEXICAN BALLET
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2006, 05:44:02 PM »

Tis a really SLOWWWWWWW Sunday evening...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »

I see I have made it to page 4!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »

wow, we're only on page 4??

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2006, 06:17:50 PM »

I thought everything was supposed to be beautiful at the ballet....

When I'm drunk I'm beautiful . . .
So ballet up to the barre
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »

where is everybody?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »

elmoore is testing the limits of the forbidden groan...

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »

Sooo, DR Elmore, how was The Fantasticks?  How was the party?  How are YOU?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »

Good Afternoon One-and-All and All-in-One!

Just woke up from a delicious nap. Last night I saw BETTY BUCKLEY in concert. She sang with a modern jazz quintet that included a "weeping" violin. The arrangements were VERY modern jazz, more a series of noises than rhythmic riffs. You really had to listen with new ears to get around it. She didn't completely abandon the traditional but, for the most part, the accompaniment was cacophonous.  Her singing wasn't, however. Her voice was big or intimate depending on the song's meaning--and you could understand every word (young singers, take note). The performance wasn't in a small club either, like you'd expect . It was in a major performing arts center that was packed to the rafters--probably because also on the bill was Michael Crawford. At the end of the program, she got a standing ovation.

Here's the thing about Betty. She's INTENSE! And she takes risks! A couple of years ago, I saw her do a program of all originals and this was, again, in a major performing arts center for a mainstream audience, mostly older. You've got to admire her. She doesn't take the safe route, and that, IMO, is what makes you sit up and take notice. I can't wait to see what she does next. Brava, Betty!

P.S. I feel like taking another nap but, instead, I'll be making a pizza. Enjoy your Sunday!

Just be glad you're not recording with her.  By the way, I met the diva when I sold her the London cast recording of CATS for her to learn the song for her audition.   Since the Theatrebooks store was nver busy, she stayed and visited for about thirty minutes.  Now, whenever I've run into her for the past 40 years she's been singing that number, she never seems to recognize me!  My friend Steve "Mo" Hanan who played Gus the Theatre Cat was better than she was anyway!  And nicer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »

I am aghast that musicals can be ordered for different size pits.

I'm aghast that some musicals are the pits.

Yes, I'm back from a lovely and lively social event at DR FjL's and Skip's.  Excellent food and company.

And THE FANTASTICKS?  Quite a lovely and faithful production.  I missed a couple of the old lyrics in the new ones to the rape number, but it still made me laugh.  Tom Jones, by the way, is amazing as Henry the Old Actor.  A beautiful performance.  He and the actor playing Mortimer were quite lovely.

The cast is wonderful.  Burke Moses is the best El Gallo I've seen since the first production I saw in 1964.  Martin Vidnovic and Leo Burmester were wonderful as the fathers and the Boy, Girl, and Mute were excellent.  What a great show!

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »

And THE FANTASTICKS?  Quite a lovely and faithful production.  I missed a couple of the old lyrics in the new ones to the rape number, but it still made me laugh.  Tom Jones, by the way, is amazing as Henry the Old Actor.  A beautiful performance.  He and the actor playing Mortimer were quite lovely.

The cast is wonderful.  Burke Moses is the best El Gallo I've seen since the first production I saw in 1964.  Martin Vidnovic and Leo Burmester were wonderful as the fathers and the Boy, Girl, and Mute were excellent.  What a great show!

So, DH Richard and I should try to see it in October?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »

So, DH Richard and I should try to see it in October?

EVERYONE SHOULD SEE IT IN OCTOBER!  IT'S DELIGHTFUL, IT'S DELOVELY, IT'S DELECTABLE, IT'S DEPENDABLE, IT'S DEFLATABLE, IT'S DELUXE!
It's Delovely!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:37:29 PM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »

I'll take that as a YES.

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »

Cilla, how are Callie and Boots doing?

Great most of the time. They fight, which to a certain extent is normal, but when it gets out of hand, I put them in separate rooms for a few minutes, until they calm down. That seems to work pretty well

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

I have to laugh, right when I was reading "Cilla, how are Callie and Boots doing?" they were in the middle of a big fight. They went to their rooms and I let them out about 3 minutes later. They are quiet now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2006, 06:58:53 PM »

I am finally getting around to doing my laundry... Good Grief! No wonder I couldn't find anything to wear to work at the end of the week.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »

Well we're over 100 posts, Elmore, sounds like you've had a great evening

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2006, 07:00:21 PM »

Well we're over 100 posts, Elmore, sounds like you've had a great evening

I've had a fantastick 12 hours, 9 AM - 9 PM!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2006, 07:01:50 PM »

Have had a strange weekend for movies...watched "Nanny McPhee" last night.  Didn't care at all for the children, which rather wasn't supposed to be the point, I think.  Emma was good, as was Colin.  But....lush production design and a lovely, if overdone, underscore.  Supporting cast were marvelous.

But there's so little humor...the gag reel...well, it could make you gag, but it wasn't funny.

Early this afternoon I watched "My House in Umbria" -- and here was a movie I wanted to love very much.  But what a bothersome, annoying and thoroughly disagreeable character Maggie Smith portrayed.  She had good qualities, but were we supposed to think she was the best guardian for the girl, Amy?  She constantly had a drink in her hands, she imposed herself upon Chris Cooper's married character (Amy's uncle) and she was constantly smoking and being maudlin.  I can't recall being more disappointed in a film.

To take the edge off, I revisited two wonderful entertainments:  For the sheer wizardry of it, I relished "The Day After Tomorrow".  And for the magnificence and literateness of it, "A Room With A View."

All is now right with the world.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:03:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

jhvw

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2006, 07:16:01 PM »

Hope everybody is having an enjoyable Sunday. I slept most of it and missed some wonderful weather. Now I think I'll spend my evening listening to the wicked soundtrack. I'm going to get to go see it and I'm really excited. When it was on tour they came through St. Louis, but I couldn't afford to go. I'm really glad I'm going to see it on broadway. I feel SO fortunate to have a wonderful Aunt who is making sure I get a good dose of culture and musicals that I have been missing so much. I'm really lucky. Anyway, off to do more relaxing and recouperating.

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »

I've had a fantastick 12 hours, 9 AM - 9 PM!

I'm so glad, DR Elmore - you deserve it!

Earlier this evening, DH Richard and I got in my car to go to the grocery.  Unbeknownst to Richard, the CD in my player is The Drowsy Chaperone and when he started the car the first thing we heard was the voice of the Man in Chair.  Richard said almost immediately, "Is that Ben?"

jhvw

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »

I just wanted to make another post so I could have 21. It just occured to me that I got a whole season of absolutely fabulous to watch for my bday, so mabye I'll curl up on the couch and watch that, I'm in the mood for something light and silly. I need some suggestions of some good movies to watch, I'm turning off my cable to save some money and I'm sure I'll be hitting the video store alot. I like almost all types of movies, but I really enjoy off-beat and weird movies the most. The kind that make ya thing or have some meaning to them. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy others, those are just my favorites. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »

I'm off to the Land of the Wussburgers.  Tomorrow should be my day off, but I'm going in to take an all-day class in Publisher.  Moved my day off for this week to Wednesday, which will be nice because that evening DH Richard and I are attending a gala benefit preview opening of a new bookstore.  The proceeds go to the literacy coalition and the arts consortium in Dayton.

'night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2006, 07:40:13 PM »

I just wanted to make another post so I could have 21. It just occured to me that I got a whole season of absolutely fabulous to watch for my bday, so mabye I'll curl up on the couch and watch that, I'm in the mood for something light and silly. I need some suggestions of some good movies to watch, I'm turning off my cable to save some money and I'm sure I'll be hitting the video store alot. I like almost all types of movies, but I really enjoy off-beat and weird movies the most. The kind that make ya thing or have some meaning to them. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy others, those are just my favorites. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL
MONTENEGRO
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS NEW YORK SPECIAL w/Whoopie Goldberg and DROWSY CHAPERONE's Danny Burstein as Serge's absolutely gay boyfriend
9 DEAD GAY GUYS
TALES OF THE CITY (all 3 sets)
AMELIE
All Pedro Almodovar films
KM.0
MONSTER IN THE CLOSET
ELVIRA  MISTRESS OF THE DARK
IMPROMPTU
SEX AND THE CITY (all of it!)
THE REF
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:40:37 PM by elmore3003 »

jhvw

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2006, 07:45:09 PM »

I'll have to see if I can't find some of those around here. I've seen The abfab new york special, didn't know that a person from the drowsy chaperone was in it. I love Tales of the city, the books and the movies. I'll give sex in the city a shot, I think it comes on lifetime. Thanks for the suggestions!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »

I'll have to see if I can't find some of those around here. I've seen The abfab new york special, didn't know that a person from the drowsy chaperone was in it. I love Tales of the city, the books and the movies. I'll give sex in the city a shot, I think it comes on lifetime. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you're going to watch SEX IN THE CITY, rent it; it's cleaned up for public consumption on whatever channel's showing it now.

My favorite abfab is the funeral where they keep falling in the open graves.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »

DR jhvw....must also of course watch VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and FRANCES...as a double feature if possible.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2006, 07:58:33 PM »

Mr Matt friend of DRs TPUNK & RODZINSKI stopped by the World of Wisdom today and we had a nice confab.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2006, 07:58:56 PM »

SEVEN SAMARAI

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

Great most of the time. They fight, which to a certain extent is normal, but when it gets out of hand, I put them in separate rooms for a few minutes, until they calm down. That seems to work pretty well

I am glad to hear that they are still acting like teenagers...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »

And for absolute madness....BILLIE starring Miss Patty Duke and friend of MR BK - Warren Berlinger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up