Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I REST MY CASE  (Read 17234 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:I REST MY CASE
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »

I just got back from lunch.

That is all.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2006, 01:13:23 PM »

I began my afternoon watching "Water Birds," the Disney True-Life Adventure short which is contained on THE RESCUERS DVD.

I read that Disney is coming out with four commemorative editions of True-Life Adventure features and shorts in early December, and I know I'll be buying all of them. I have the features on videotape, but only "Water Birds" of the shorts.

I know Disney will do nothing in the way of clean-up and mastering of these old films, and I have to say they look pretty bad on DVD without some help. Still, I'll keep my criticisms to a minimum because I do want them all in one group. It'll be nice to see PERRI again, the only one of them I haven't seen in a long time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2006, 01:16:52 PM »

Next up was THRILL OF A ROMANCE, an Esther Williams-Van Johnson Technicolor musical. Of course, neither of them make any of the music. That's left to Lauritz Melchior and other supporting players.

The TCM print looked excellent for the most part, but there were three or four scenes where there were definite  Technicolor registration errors. Otherwise, this was nice to see again, and it's probably the movie where Esther is her prettiest.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2006, 01:19:12 PM »

And I finished the afternoon with PANAMA HATTIE. This mess of a musical looks today totally thrown together, and stories in Hugh Fordin's book about its making certainly point to refilming things to try to add some entertainment value to the picture. Dan Dailey got a lot better later on in the decade, and Red Skelton seemed more suited to a solo act than paired with two other nitwits (Rags Ragland and Ben Blue).

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »

There are new episodes of MONK and PSYCH tonight. They're both ending their seasons early and will be back before the end of the year with more new episodes.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »

Speaking of Van Johnson, he turns 90 years old today!

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2006, 02:01:18 PM »

I want Disney to release SAMMY THE WAY OUT SEAL and A TIGER WALKS...two of my favorite live action Disney movies of the 60s!

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2006, 02:13:27 PM »

Got to get off the internet now and get the kitchen floor mopped before my out-of-town guest arrives.

WBBL (but possibly much later than usual).

Danise

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2006, 02:13:55 PM »

Hi all.  Fall is my least favorite time of year.  For whatever reason, it makes me feel very sad, depressed and sometimes fearful.  I don't know why.

We had another day of heavy rains.  It just kept rolling in.

I'm only reading one book and that's my bathroom book where I sneek some reading time for myself.  Sometimes at 2 or 3 AM I get a half hour or more read.  It's called "The King".  It's the 2nd book in what I'm sure will turn into trilagy.  

I'm a bit miffed with the first book because it's about a power that requires the person who used it stay a virgin so the guy and his best friend become lovers because that doesn't  "count".  The best friend knows that he is just a boy toy until the king decides it's time for an heir.

Anyway, I don't really like to book(s) as a whole but I since I always buy all the books when there is a serius, I'll finish it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »

Sheena is still being a real problem with tearing things up while I'm gone.  I hate to say it but I'm back to the point where I think I may have to find her another home.  I don't want to take her back to the pound and if I decide it would be best for her to find some other home, I will do my best to do that for her.  I think there is a lab rescure group near by.

Well, I have to run.

Laters all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:22 PM »

DD was here for a day and I've now delivered her back to the airport where - surprise - her plane is late taking off.
Discovered that the battery on my Powerbook is part of a recall. Filled out the forms and sent them in.
Had a phone meeting. Am now snacking on pretzels.
And that's all the news.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

Friday greetings!  Just got home from Blue Ash, OH (a northern suburb of Cincinnati), where I spent the day in a seminar about IRS forms 1023, 1024, and 990.  Yes, I chose to attend and learned a lot about applying for nonprofit status (which people ask me about all the time).

TOD - CD(car) - BK-produced The Burt Bacharach Album, which includes some orchestrations by DR Elmore and brings back many good college memories.

DVD - ?

VCR - ?

Books - I'm about to finish Just Outside the Spotlight:  Growing up with Eileen Heckart, by her son Luke Yankee; then I have to start 2 (count 'em 2) book discussion books for September:  Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts for work and Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan for The Joy Luck Club.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »

DR Danise, sorry about the trouble with Sheena...that would be very frustrating and sad.

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »

I have an author appearance and reading of Jewish Thighs in Woodinville.

So, is Jewish Thighs in Woodinville the sequel to Jewish Thighs on Broadway?  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »

Sounds like Sheena has separation anxiety of some sort. Is your mother home with them? If not, have you tried leaving on a radio or the tv? I don't know if it would work, but my pet sitter recommends it for some animals.

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »

I have had the LONGEST week in ages.  I listened to DROWSY CHAPERONE on the way to work today, it really put me in a good mood, so I took it into the office and forgot it there!  I may have to go get it over the weekend.  I tend to put things away after I watch or listen to them. so nothing in the dvd player or stereo

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2006, 04:03:47 PM »

Good heavens. I think I've finally discovered the secret elixer to get the cats calmed down.  Catnip. The first time I gave it to them both they fought like crazy, but that was early on.  Tonight I bought a couple more scratching posts for Boo and they came with cat nip. They have both been so mellow, it's fabulous!

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »

Guess I may as well make it 4500 posts!

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2006, 04:09:20 PM »

The good thing about Terrence Malik is that he is far from being a prolific movie maker so avoiding his movies is easy for those who are bored by them! Since The New World has "bombed" Mr Malik, like he has done before, might wait 20 years before doing another film so, those bored by his creations, can play it safe!

He seems to be one of the few movie makers to understand that movies are first and foremost visual expressions and that if one needs words in lieu of "views" one's better writing a book!
Days of Heaven is one of the few films that have mesmerized me over the years!

I have been listening lately to some cds of Mr Jerry Hadley, Miss Dawn Upshaw, the original London cast of Pajama Game and young Frank Sinatra singing Cole Porter!

Who could ask for anything more? (Toyota?!)

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »

So, is Jewish Thighs in Woodinville the sequel to Jewish Thighs on Broadway?  ;)

Who knows? It might be the prequel?! :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »

Yesterday I got  a lot of work done on the handouts for my seminar, which starts Sunday evening at the Redmond library. No clue if I'll have three or thirty in the class... have to make a guess before running off too many copies. Or too few. Sheesh. I'm guessing I won't have more than fifteen. Twelve to fifteen is a perfect number for this type of workshop. The second one is Wednesday evening, and the last is Saturday afternoon - after which, I have an author appearance and reading of Jewish Thighs in Woodinville.

Was JEWISH THIGHS IN WOODINVILLE, the sequel to JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »

Was JEWISH THIGHS IN WOODINVILLE, the sequel to JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY?

Poor Cillaliz, she must be terribly frightened!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »

Eighty posts?  Eighty posts?  Holy moley on rye this is nauseating.  Here, I thought we were over the August hump.  All right, I want the names of the errant and truant.  Jane I know is off doing terribly busy things - so busy that she can't even come by and say hello.  Bitch-slap.  Ann and Jed are too busy being Ann and Jed.  Bitch-slap.  Who else do I need to bitch-slap?

We got five of the seven stories done today, and will finish the other two on Sunday.  It looks spiffy, I must say.  I brought home what we did, so I can proof this part before Sunday - I can already see some problems that happened because of going to a new font and out of Word into Quark.  Minor stuff, but it all has to be gone over very carefully.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2006, 05:20:18 PM »

Good heavens. I think I've finally discovered the secret elixer to get the cats calmed down.  Catnip. The first time I gave it to them both they fought like crazy, but that was early on.  Tonight I bought a couple more scratching posts for Boo and they came with cat nip. They have both been so mellow, it's fabulous!

That reminds me.....
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »

I have been at the office all day.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2006, 05:24:13 PM »

Poor Cillaliz, she must be terribly frightened!

I was actually thinking "Great minds think alike"   ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »

I was also thinking "TCB hasn't read all the posts yet"

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »

François de Paris

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2006, 05:25:59 PM »

I have been at the office all day.