Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ODE TO A BUG  (Read 20270 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ODE TO A BUG
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »

Jane: No, I leave two days before you get there, if you're getting there on the third.

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »

I was just on a train. We've got planes, trains and automobiles covered. Any boaters out there?
I talked to my brother this morning about sailing on his new boat....does that count?

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2006, 08:55:35 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR HISAKA!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:36 AM »

Happy Birthday to Hisaka, wherever you are, Japan I bet.

td

• td
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006, 09:10:19 AM »

ONE:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR READER HISAKA!

TWO:  ASK BK QUESTION - What ever happened to Elizabeth Hartman's career?

THREE:  ASK BK QUESTION - Jerry Goldsmith's score for A PATCH OF BLUE:  thumbs up or thumbs down?

FOUR:  the new me (taken on Saturday afternoon):
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v305/minx_the_dog/family/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »

Brian DePalma is someone I liked a lot before I learned what a good director is.

His early, sloppy and fun films are enjoyable:
Greetings, Hi Mom!, Phantom of the Paradise (all with Gerritt Graham), Get to Know Your Rabbit (which I highly recommend to anyone; of course DePalma himself disowns it)

Then he started getting "serious" and his films are virtually unwatchable. The Fury, which has been on Fox a lot lately, is just such an unpleasant waste. Sisters, Dressed to Kill, man it is hard to find a likeable charcter or a shred of logic in any of these.

Body Double is at least entertaining despite making little sense.

Scarface, Casualties of War, The Untouchables, Snake Eyes... no thanks.

I see he directed an upcoming movie about the Black Dahlia. Should be bad.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 09:12:34 AM »

TD looking slim in black.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:43 AM »

ONE:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR READER HISAKA!

TWO:  ASK BK QUESTION - What ever happened to Elizabeth Hartman's career?

THREE:  ASK BK QUESTION - Jerry Goldsmith's score for A PATCH OF BLUE:  thumbs up or thumbs down?

FOUR:  the new me (taken on Saturday afternoon):

I was a huge Elizabeth Hartman fan, based on A Patch Of Blue (especially), The Group, and You're A Big Boy Now.  I gather she was not a happy person, and that affected her career.  She had a sad end.

The A Patch Of Blue score is a big thumbs up - I've probably listened to it as much as any score ever.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:58 AM »

I liked Carrie.  

Mission to Mars put the "duh" in duh Palma.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2006, 09:20:17 AM »

Speaking of looking slim, perhaps I'd better jog now, since I have an eleven o'clock meeting.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 09:22:52 AM »

A very happy birthday to Hisaka.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »

The Laserdisc player der B got via eBay jsut arrived.

What fun.

Now I get to go through all our boxes downstairs, to try and find all the discs we haven't replaced with DVDs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2006, 09:29:38 AM »

...FOUR:  the new me (taken on Saturday afternoon):
That purse on the table isn't yours, is it?

I mean, it's fetching, but the color doesn't go with your outfit.  Or even your shoes!

td

• td
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2006, 09:31:11 AM »

Brian DePalma is someone I liked a lot before I learned what a good director is.

His early, sloppy and fun films are enjoyable:
Greetings, Hi Mom!, Phantom of the Paradise (all with Gerritt Graham), Get to Know Your Rabbit (which I highly recommend to anyone; of course DePalma himself disowns it)

Then he started getting "serious" and his films are virtually unwatchable. The Fury, which has been on Fox a lot lately, is just such an unpleasant waste. Sisters, Dressed to Kill, man it is hard to find a likeable charcter or a shred of logic in any of these.

Body Double is at least entertaining despite making little sense.

Scarface, Casualties of War, The Untouchables, Snake Eyes... no thanks.

I see he directed an upcoming movie about the Black Dahlia. Should be bad.

Oh, let's see. . .
I like THE UNTOUCHABLES  and SISTERS.
I really like CARRIE ("They're all going to laugh at you!") and PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE.
I'm mixed on OBSESSION - though, it's interesting to hear Betty Buckley's disembodied voice once again. . .(she also did some voiceover work in PofP).

As for THE BLACK DAHLIA - I've been eagerly awaiting this film since I first read James Ellroy's novel many years ago, and long before L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.    The DAHLIA milieu is much the same as that of LA CONFIDENTIAL, and early photos look as if the film captures that same look.  Still, it has a director who is variable at best and a screenwriter whose last credit was Tommy Cruise's WAR OF THE WORLDS. . .Where are Curtis Hanson and Brian Helgeland when you really need them? ? ?

aside to dr rodzinski:   ;)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »

Happy Happy birthday, DR Hisaka. I do miss the lovely photos...

Jeanne - thanks for the info. My second workshop is tonight... and, apparently, word has spread --people are signing up like a house afire! I'll make more copies of the Sunday night handouts for those new folks. Tonight we'll do a lot more actual writing -- beginning with the "How I Accomplished Something I'm Proud Of In The Past..." exercise which Cilla suggested!

It's finally raining a bit. The stream was as low as I've ever seen it - I had to move some rocks to get the water wand submerged a few days ago. But this morning it's running again, not fast, but chortling merrily over the rocks. This cat has become quite the little domestic pet. Yeah. Except for the furry gore I've been cleaning off the deck each morning...

BK - congrats on the new disc project. And many more.

Ron- maybe a cold is the only way your body has of slowing you down to rest? Hope you're feeling better after your nap. Oy.

That's it for now - gonna put together tonight's handouts, and figure out what I'm going to read on Saturday night... laters, gators!
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »

That purse on the table isn't yours, is it?

I mean, it's fetching, but the color doesn't go with your outfit.  Or even your shoes!

Pink is this year's black!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2006, 09:51:01 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to DR Hisaka. I hope she can check in today!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »

TOnight I am looking forward to the season premiere of BONES, one of my favorite of last year's new shows.

However, I'm looking even MORE forward to Victor Garber's new series JUSTICE. He's supposedly playing a part miles and miules removed from the internally brooding Jack Bristoe on ALIAS, and the show has gotten mostly positive reviews from the ones I've read. Can't wait to see it.

I do like Victor Garber. But I don't think i will watch this new show.  It just doesn't seem even remotely interesting to me.  Although i really like to go through the Fall Preview tv guides before i finalilze what new shows i will try.
Does anybody know if that is out yet?

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2006, 10:22:34 AM »

Greetings from the Local History Room, a library service point where I haven't worked for a very long time.  They have a lot of people out sick, on vacation, days off, etc., and called on other departments for help.  It's only an hour, so please send vibes that no one needs help until after 2pm EDT!  Unless, of course, it's somebody like NPR's Noah Adams, who I helped at this desk once when he was working on his Wright Brothers book.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »

...sure is lonely here in Local History.  

Is anybody there?  Does anybody care?  Does anybody see what I see?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2006, 10:59:57 AM »

They Want Me to Quit.

Actually, they don't. If I ever quit some people might be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2006, 11:01:08 AM »

They Want Me to Quit.

Actually, they don't. If I ever quit some people might be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

LOL, DR Ben!  When I mention how close I am to retirement, my manager says, "I don't wanna think about it."

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »

Well, I assume someone's coming to replace me at the top of the hour, so I'll sign off.

Bye for now (until I get back upstairs to my desk)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Hisaka!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »

a huge happy birthday to DR Hisaka!

Pop in and say hello when you can!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2006, 12:44:23 PM »

Well, THAT cat's out of the bag.  It's what I've been alluding to, but I wasn't quite ready to announce yet.  This morning I got a note from the guy at Playbill, asking for confirmation, but that article was obviously up before the confirmation was sent.  

So, yes, that's the reason for the second NY trip in mid-October.  We're very excited to be recording Al and Em again.

This is wonderful news!!  Congratulations on being able to record this show live!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »

I just had a lovely phone call from the mighty talented Brad Ross, who was interested to learn that our BK has his own site.  I'm urging him to log on and join the madness.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »

I subscribe to TV GUIDE and the Fall Preview issue has not arrived as yet. Maybe next week or the week after.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2006, 01:34:22 PM »

Watched three very different shows on TV this afternoon.

I started with THE MUPPET SHOW with Mark Hamill. One of their lesser shows since Mark Hamill doesn't have much business being on a musical variety show. Of course, he was playing Luke Skywalker and C3PO and R2D2 were there as well as Chewbacca, so there were more skits than music this time around.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »

Next was the marvelous concert version of CANDIDE with Paul Groves and Kristen Chenoweth. Superb.

And how great to see John Herrera again whom I've had a giant crush on ever since seeing him in THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD and later on TV in ROMANCE/ROMANCE.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up