Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT, RAIN, OR SNOT  (Read 24693 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:HEAT, RAIN, OR SNOT
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 09:37:08 AM »

Labor Day Labor Day Labor Day....where are all the robots that were supposed to do the work for us in the 21st Century?
Your avatar says volumes.  

:-\

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 09:37:18 AM »

Labor Day greetings!  We're staying home today - maybe this evening we'll go over to the nearby park for a concert by the Southwest Ohio Symphonic Band.

TOD (slightly tweaked):  It's been interesting to have our son watch movies that DH Richard and I consider among our favorites.  We'd raved about things like The Big Chill and Fargo and, when he was finally old enough to watch them, his reaction was quite indifferent.  The Big Chill just didn't "resonate" for a Millennial the way it does for us Boomers and he thought we were just plain weird for liking Fargo so much.  The generational disconnect works the other way, too, as he brings home things like Boondocks Saints and we just don't get it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »

I'd dance, but it would be labored.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 09:53:43 AM »

As for the TOD, I initially thought Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes to be a total hoot.  I now find it a plodding effort.

Conversely, the similarly plotted The Great Race, which is sorta enjoyed as a youth, is now a film that I find not just one of the funniest ever made, but one that retains it's fun after repeated viewings.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 10:09:18 AM »

Re:  robots working for us in the future department.  One of the funniest one-liners I have ever heard was Conan O'Brien's "News of the Future," where he intoned (whilst holding a green flashlight shining up under his chin):  "In the future, robots will take over dull, repetitive tasks for humans like washing dishes and marrying J-Lo."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »

Jane Connell tells a funny story of going to rent MAME at a NYC video store sometime in the 80s and the clerk telling her, "You don't want to watch that lousy thing. You want AUNTIE MAME with Rosalind Russell."

Connell was like, "Look buddy, you oughta be careful what you say. I'm IN that lousy thing!"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:20 AM »

For your labor day.....many to choose from....but the first is one of my favorites!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnteTQ_iWY
Odd...  I never realized before just how irritating her singing voice could be.

(oops, those could be fighting words around here!!!!   :o    8))

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »

Athlete, politician, and actor Bob Mathias also passed away, on Saturday.

He starred in LAND OF THE MINOTAUR, CHINA DOLL, and IT HAPPENED IN ATHENS. And he appears on an episode of YOU BET YOUR LIFE on one of the recent DVD compilations of Groucho's show.

He and I had conversed about doing an interview several months ago, but he was to begin chemotherapy treatments and asked if we could put it off for awhile. I had actually just sent him a note via mail last week to see how he was doing. He sure seemed like a nice guy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »

I watched the movie FEARLESS yesterday, which just destroyed me the first time I saw it, I mean over-the-top emotional reaction to that thing. And it came on yesterday, and it is still a very good movie, but you can't re-create that first viewing experience.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 10:16:17 AM »

..."In the future, robots will take over dull, repetitive tasks for humans like washing dishes...
If our lawmakers have their way, only if the robots have green cards...

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 10:17:06 AM »

I will have to think about the TOD a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - finally had a really great night's sleep.

That eBay guy is making sellers very happy by so overpaying for things it's not even funny.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »

I will have to think about the TOD a bit.

Anyone who still lists ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE as their favorite movie will never have a film for the TOD!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »

Ciao, tutti!

I cannot give anyone Heat or Rain.  It's dry here.  And it's 57 degrees (eat your heart out, Kimmel!).

Snot, on the other hand, I have.  I can barely keep it abated...and the meds that abate it are for symptoms I no longer have, so it seems to be a bit of overkill to use them now.

[snuffle]

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »

For your labor day.....many to choose from....but the first is one of my favorites!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnteTQ_iWY

Whatever happened to Jody McRea?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »

It's a lovely day here in Sioux City. I went for a 2-3 mile hike in the woods this morning with a couple friends. It was fabulous out there.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »

Lewis and Clark are stopping by at the riverfront on their way back to St Louis.  I don't think there will be many visiting the encampment. I just haven't heard much about it.  I was a docent at the Lewis and Clark center when they came through 2 years ago, so I may have to stop by and say hello.

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »

They are also doing a re-enactment memorial service for Sgt. Floyd at his gravesite (the only member of the expedition to die, and yes, he died here) The funeral was something 2 years ago, but I'm not sure I'm up for the memorial service tonight.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2006, 11:09:09 AM »

TOD, hmmm I know there are some, but I'll have to think about it

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2006, 11:09:49 AM »

Sorry to hear about Steve Irwin

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2006, 11:11:13 AM »

He was filming about the dangerous creatures in the ocean... guess he was right

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

Dear Esteemed, rested, sultry, steamy, and soon to be partaying BK --

I finished my sojurn to the mother-land of England, and am now back home safe and sound with the sparkling and handsome DP Kerry and our cute and licky Sugar!  I cannot say too many times (but I may try) that this isn't a fun time to be flying overseas!
 >:(

I haven't had a chance to read 2 weeks of back posts, and indeed may not be able to.  But...... I send Birthday greetings and cake to all hainsies/kimlets that may have celebrated whilst I was away.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »

Labor Day Labor Day Labor Day....where are all the robots that were supposed to do the work for us in the 21st Century?

Dear George Jetson;

Since you have failed to live up to the increased intelligence level requred to control a race of domestic robots; we have decided to let you do your own damn work.

Happy Labor Day,
-- The Robots[/i][/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 11:41:16 AM »

Frightening and sad news about Mr Steve Irwin....nature is dangerous.

That reminds me of my favorite phrase from yesterday's posts:

Turkey Thighs.

Although it is very sad about Mr. Irwin's death, it is certainly a very rare accident.  I have no regrets about swimming with the stingrays, while I was in the Caribbean; and I would certainly not hesitate to do it again the next time I am in Grand Cayman.

I also hope this story won't keep DRs Jed and Ann from swimming with them either.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 11:48:05 AM »

There's always someone more tetched than you are department:  I shared this with JR the other day, but for those of you who think you spend too much time/money on eBay, here's a little lesson in prodigality for you:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=ozzie90071&sort=3&rows=200&page=8&ViewBidItems=&all=1&completed=1

Some stuff has dropped off (and new stuff is added now), but by my calculations, this guy has dropped close to $100K in the last 30 days.  Oy.

What I think is most interesting is that his feedback rating is only 79!  Under "All positive feedback received," the number is 2496 and he only has 3 negative...total!  He's buying everything from a very few people.  Sounds rather suspicious, if you ask me. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »

I just finished last night's posts.  Now I am aware of what happened to Mr Irwin.  I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I found DakotaCelt's "Double Indemnity" encounter interesting:  a heterosexual friend of mine in my hometown rented BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in a Middletown, Ohio, video place, and the clerks all snickered over it.  I think he should have demanded the immature assholes be sacked as well.  At Barnes & Noble, I always snickered after the customer walked away.

That's strange, I keep going from video store to video store renting BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, in hopes of getting a date.  Perhaps I should switch to Gladiator movies?
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2006, 11:51:14 AM »

Well, my sister and niece are here (and have been for about an hour), so I just wanted to pop in a say that today will NOT be a labor-free day for me. :P My parents are coming over at around noon...which is quite soon!  So, I must shower and prepare myself for the onslaught of cleaning and packing that will be commanded by my mother!

I'll be back...sometime. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »

Snot, on the other hand, I have.  I can barely keep it abated...and the meds that abate it are for symptoms I no longer have, so it seems to be a bit of overkill to use them now.

[snuffle]

That blows.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »

Seems to be a day to report deaths. When my mother was a young woman,in the 1930's she and her sister were huge fans of a romantic young poet in Hungary - Gyorgy Faludy....
When I eventually wound up in Toronto, I had the honor of becoming friends with the expatriate poet George Faludy! A number of his fellow prison inmates (poitical prisoners) had also wound up in Toronto. We spent many incredible nights filled with Hungarian conversation, poetry and wine with these remarkable men and women. George at that time was living with a devoted (male) partner. In his younger days he was THE poet of love in Hungary, with young women hanging on his every word (and other areas, I'm sure). He wrote famous love poems to his wife and other lovers (of both sexes, I believe). He wound up his life in Hungary with a gorgeous (Playboy gorgeous) young wife -- I mean YOUNG. A great poet, a larger than life person. He died in Budapest on Saturday. His life was the stuff of drama - many dramas.  

An Obit (excerpted):

Hungarian poet Gyorgy Faludy dies aged 95

By Sandor Peto

BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Hungarian poet Gyorgy Faludy, a legend of resistance to the rise of Nazism and Communism, died at the age of 95 at his home in Budapest, national news agency MTI said on Saturday.
The poet, known to many in the West as George Faludy, played a role in Hungary's 1956 anti-communist uprising and would have been a key speaker at a conference to celebrate its 50th anniversary later this month.

Faludy won international fame with his interpretation of Francois Villon ballads in the 1930s and his autobiographical novel "My Happy Days in Hell" in the 1960s, which related his escape from fascist Hungary and his return, and imprisonment, in a country under communist rule.

He fled Hungary twice: first in 1938, when as a Jew he was threatened by the growing power of Nazism, and the second time after Soviet tanks crushed the 1956 uprising.

Like fellow-Hungarian anti-communist writer Arthur Koestler, Faludy wandered the world, living in France, Algeria, the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy.

Toronto, where the poet, a former nominee for the Nobel prize for literature, lived for over 20 years, will inaugurate a George Faludy Park near the poet's former home on October 3.

Faludy returned to Hungary the second time at the end of the 1980s, following the collapse of communism in central Europe.
He lived in central Budapest with third wife Fanny Faludy-Kovacs, more than 60 years his junior, until his death on Friday.

His face framed by long grey hair often appeared on Hungarian television screens as a symbol of a country leaving behind a century of dictatorships and entering a new era as a European Union member.

"My aunt cut her neck with a razor blade. The rest died in the war in gas chambers. My sister floats upon the icy Danube," he wrote in one of his poems about the horrors of the 1940s.

After returning to Hungary following the Second World War, he was sent by the country's new communist government to a concentration camp in Recsk in 1949 for three years.
In the camp where many people were killed and tortured, Faludy organised literature courses to keep up the spirits of the prisoners.

In "My Happy Days in Hell", he recounts writing a poem in blood on toilet paper with a straw pulled out from a broom.

"He lived everywhere, met everybody and was ousted from everywhere," the invitation for the celebrations of Faludy's 95th birthday last year said, MTI reported.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 12:07:19 PM by Maria »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:48 PM »

MBarnum, I am very sorry to hear about the death of Bob Mathias.  He was a remarkable athelete; and apparently, a remarkable man.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up