Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SWING OF THINGS  (Read 29662 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SWING OF THINGS
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:10:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had that swing and they don't mean a thing, so now it is time for you to post until the swingin' cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:14:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SWING OF THINGS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: AMELIORATE!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:57:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: AMELIORATE!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
And their steps ameliorated as they progressed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:58:38 AM »

I get the first non-BK post of the day?

Everyone must have been very sleepy last night!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 03:19:33 AM »

"To AMELIORATE our populace," declared Chauncy, the mayor, "We shall ORATE, EMAIL, post posters, do everything we can."

Then, after a moment's consideration, he added "Well, everything except write graffiti on the walls.  That's messy."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 03:56:56 AM »

Der Brucer posted somthing yesterday that was inaccurate.  He claimed that I was "disinterested" in seeing Little Miss Sunshine.

Not true.

He neglected to add that, when he showed up at the market, I was finishing an eight-hour shift and was physically and mentally exhausted.  I knew that, under those conditions, I would not enjoy watching the film, or even be able to concentrate enough to follow what was happening, or maybe I would even have trouble locating the screen.

Add to that, when we returned home, he would have expected me to prepare for him his dinner.

I revolted and said no.  I told him I'd much rather go to a bookstore.

Which we did.

I found nothing of interest for myself.

He found a book giving recommendations on films for family viewing.

I've been borrowing the book.

It was published too early to include Little Miss Sunshine in it's list of 100.

But it does include Dr. Strangelove.

It's a very interesting read!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 03:58:08 AM »

I've got to get ready for work.  

Note to self: left off catching up on yesterday's posts at page four.

I've a hunch everyone was chatting up a storm!

Danise

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:08 AM »

Good morning all!  And a special "Good Morning" to those waking up in the New City of York!    I can picture exactly where the hotel is and I hope that you got a nice room.

If things had been as they should have, I would be winging my way to you now.  

I still have the Today show on the Tivo.  I wonder if there is a way for me to up load our two seconds of fame up to the net.  Ya know that have me thinking.  I know I could make stills of it if nothing else.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:25:49 AM »

I feel really bad about what happened in that Amish school.  Sigh.  What is wrong with people now days?

They are going to bury a cop and his K-9 in Lakeland today.   He pulled a guy over for speeding and the guy shot him and the dog.

Of course there was a massive man hunt and when they found him, it was no big suprise that they shot him.  At least 69 -70 bullets were found in his body out the hundred or so they say were fired.  I understand the need to get the man but I think that was a bit extreme.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:33:09 AM »

TOD: Well first, I have to say that "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" was one of those films described as a "lurid melodrama" that I tuned in for when I was young. I didn't find it terribly scary but it was pretty creepy. There was something about those low-budget, lurid films that made them scarier because their low production value gave them a real, almost documentary-like quality.

I like the cheesy horror films that Mystery Science Theatre used to run: The Crawling Hand, The Attack of the Eye Creatures, The Attack of *Anything*, actually would probably be good.

As a child, I liked the anthologies, like "Torture Garden", which usually had 3 or 4 stories. If it was too scary, you knew that it would at least be over sooner than a feature-length story.

"The Creeping Flesh" is a classic, written by a dear friend and editor I used to assist in London. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and a mummy---what's not to love?

Since I grew up during the Cold War, there was a proliferation of movies about things that went awry after being contaminated by radiation or something equally as evil. Things that grew big or mutated into something horrific. I went through all the "duck and cover" drills and these films seemed to contain the nugget of a possibility that maybe this could happen, so that made them scary to me.

The two tiny women in the Mothra film still scare me!

But the two scariest films I remember as a kid weren't classic horror films. Besides the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz, the two that scared me the most were "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T", and "The Day the Earth Stood Still". (Speaking of theremins!) When I saw the second one on TV, I was young enough to really believe this could happen!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:05:30 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a trek to Toyland, lunch with the drummer from THE SINGING NUN, and some brain surgery on today's agenda.  I spoke to my dad yesterday and he sounds cheerful and full of pep; of course, given that he's 85 and my situation with his health this summer this could change at any moment.  My cousin Sue sent me a very funny belated birthday card yesterday, and this led to an email discussion of my dad's health and Lady Macbeth's current display of hostility.  It's hard work being a drunk and a bitch.  She's kind of like Jaime Pressley's character on MY NAME IS EARL.  Only scary.  And drunk.  And meaner.  And fatter.  And older.

TOD:  "Let's Scare Jessica To Death" scared me during the 70s.  I haven't seen it since.  Of course, at the time I saw it, we lived in a ghost-ridden house that was already terrifying so the movie was just one more bit of frisson.  The last trul alarming film I saw was "The Blair Witch Project," which gave me terrifying nightmares for weeks.  When "The Exorcist" was released my sister-in-law and friend Snooky were terrified for weeks and I never understood their situation, but the Blair Witch got under my skin and really freaked me out; I had several nights with the lights on.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:28:33 AM »

Good morning, just a quick stop before I head to work for my last day before vacation. It will be a busy one, but that will make it go faster.  

Last night I ate way too many vanilla roasted almonds that I got at Artsplash last month.  I felt SOOOO sick.  I had a headache, stomach was bothering me etc. I think it was the almonds, anyway, I had great concerns so I took a long bath and went to bed early.  I feel great this morning.  Needless to say, I didn't pack, but I'll do that tonight. Everything is clean, so it will be easy to do it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 05:30:59 AM »

Edisaurus - thanks for the good wishes. I need to email you know who to make final plans. Hope I recognize him from his photo!

Everyone else thanks fot the good wishes.

JHVW>>>> If you're reading this and haven't emailed or called....well email or call I haven't heard from you in days!

Edisaurus

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »

Good morning, just a quick stop before I head to work for my last day before vacation.

Ooops! I thought you were leaving today! Well, have a safe journey tomorrow, too! (I'm sure I won't be up early enough to say that tomorrow AM!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 05:33:26 AM »

Hope I recognize him from his photo!

He looks exactly the same (unlike myself, who is not blue in person)---and he will be smiling, too!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 05:44:12 AM »

Good morning All!!

Travel Vibes to Cillaliz and Condo Contratulations to  DR George.  Please PM me your new  address! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:31:41 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:04:26 AM »

Mark Foley's attorney says his emails were not signs of pedophilia but alcoholism?  It spells "drunk closet queen" to me!  Perhaps he's bisexual and only likes men and boys?  Only when drunk.  Wrap when sober.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:20:41 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Edisaurus - Well, I don't think I'll be on TV as a result of today's auditions.  Well, I hope I won't be.  These are "pre-screens" for the other roles in the show - the ones that won't be determined by "America's vote".  And since it's an Equity call, and since Equity does not allow auditions to be taped unless waivers(!) are signed, I should be "camera-free" today.

But, as always, since I actually do like playing auditions, I'm sure I'll have a good time today.  And I know I'm bound to see a couple of friends come through the door throughout the day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 06:24:05 AM »

Mark Foley's attorney says his emails were not signs of pedophilia but alcoholism?  It spells "drunk closet queen" to me!  Perhaps he's bisexual and only likes men and boys?  Only when drunk.  Wrap when sober.

Wanda Sykes was on "Leno" last night, and she did a wonderful riff on this.  I was watching the show with my roommates, and we all just busted out laughing when she got going.

*And then the next guest was Chris Matthews, and even he got into the humorous side of things.

**And he passed on a joke that's been going around the more politically aware circles:

"What do Congressmen say to each other on Wednesdays?"

-Have a nice weekend.

*You may have to think about that one.  I know most of Leno's audience last had to.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 06:26:28 AM »

So... As for the rest of my day after the auditions - and since I'll be in session for most of the day, there won't be much day left - I think I may just join some friends for dinner.  I had sort of planned to see A Chorus Line - from either the audience or the pit - but the more I think about it, the more I just want to not be in a theatre while I'm up here for these couple of days.  But, as is normal for me, I do reserve the right to change my mind.  A couple of times.  Each hour.  Up until the last minute.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:17 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I, too, remember, "Let's Scare Jessica To Death"...  I remember it being shown as one of the Afternoon Movies on Channel 7(?) when we lived in New London, Connecticut.  It was part of "Horror Week" - or something close to that.  And the week usually wrapped up with my favorite horror/lurid movie from that time period, "Trilogy of Terror".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:29:57 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 06:30:41 AM »

I know I've seen other horror movies from the 1930s-1970s, but since I should be getting ready for my day right now...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »

The original The Fly scare the daylights out of me when I was a kid... I still can't look at a  spider web with out seeing that prro little half fly half man begging "Help me help me!!!"

Ibelieve this is when my aracaphobia started.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »

Safe travel vibes to Cilla and jhvw!

Is anyone keeping count of how many we are for theater and after-theater on Thursday night?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:37:13 AM by FJL »

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 06:49:07 AM »

Fred... USPS willing there should be a purple envelope in your mailbox today!!
Thanks again!!!

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 07:17:31 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings from 46th St!  DH Richard and I are heading north today to visit The Cloisters.  Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day.

DR Cillaliz - hang in there your last day at work before vacation.  That's always difficult for me.  Travel vibes for tomorrow - you'll probably be in transit before I log on here in the morning.

TOD - My favorite "scary movie" story is really about my DH.  Fatal Attraction so totally creeped him out that he can hardly watch Glenn Close in anything now.  I remember being scared by a couple of moments in Wait Until Dark, one of my favorite movies.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:10 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day: blue skies, moderate temperatures, the best!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 07:36:11 AM »

On today's topic:

PSYCHO

ROSEMARY'S BABY

THE EXORCIST (but it revolted me more than it scared me to be honest)

NIGHT OF THE DEMON

DUEL

THE NIGHT STALKER

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:38:32 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 07:40:43 AM »

I think movies that might make a serious impression on you when younger are sometimes disappointments when you grow up.

I had that reaction to TRILOGY OF TERROR. It scared me into weeks of nightmares when I first saw it (and I was a young adult then, in my 20s). When I watched the DVD a year or two ago, it made me laugh at how cheesy it was.

I suspect some of those movies of the week that scared me like CROWHAVEN FARM or DYING ROOM ONLY might not hold up now. But I'd still like to see them again.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 07:45:29 AM »

A peeved comment about the new Universal release of FRANKENSTEIN (and DRACULA which is also out now).

I bought these films (along with THE WOLF MAN and THE INVISIBLE MAN) when Universal first released them on DVD.

I RE-bought them when the Legacy Collection came out a year or so ago seeing as they had been cleaned up, given more special features, and paired with other films in their respective series.

But I resolutely REFUSE to rebuy these films another time. They're old, and no amount of digital clean-up and filtering is going to do anything but minute improvements to what I already have. I will simply have to live without whatever new bonuses they have added to the discs.

There are SO many films that Universal (and the other studios) own that haven't seen the light of DVD day yet. I am SICK of them reissuing these films over and over in new editions instead of getting to the other worthy films they have control over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up