Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY DANCING  (Read 17942 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:BELLY DANCING
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 07:40:37 AM »

DR EDISAURUS - click on the line "See all my reviews" at Amazon, when you get there you will see an EDIT button so that you can edit your review.

Thanks, DR JRand! I didn't think of clicking on that link because this was my *only* review!

And thanks to der B for catching that!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 08:02:48 AM »

Off to get the laundry started and then think about what's for lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »

Last night, der B and I watched The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.  I remembered having seen it before, a long time ago, on our television when I was growing up, but I hadn't realized just how long ago it had been until seeing it again.

I remembered the film as being in black and white!

I must have watched it before my Dad built our first color set, which was quite a while ago!

Richly colorful now, watching it as an adult, and great fun.  But Peter Lind Hayes struck me as a little creepy for the heroic father figure.  But that's just me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 08:07:54 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Today, I must pay serious attention to the planning of the Ohio AAUW spring conference (April 20 & 21, 2007, in Tiffin, OH).  It's my main responsibility as state co-program vice-president and we have a board meeting coming up in 2 weeks.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »

To All-but especially BK

Am I wrong but doesn't it seem odd that outside of(the only one I can think of) Boy's and Girls Like You and I which was replaced by People Will Say We're in Love in Oklahoma,there are not too many Trunk Songs by the team of Rodgers and Hammerstein? Were they that economical in their writing?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 08:12:57 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Edisaurus

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 08:19:41 AM »

I remembered the film as being in black and white!

I guess the pianos looked the same... ;D

"Is it...ATOMIC???" "Yes, sir! VERY Atomic!"

Ah, those were the days---when the Cold War infiltrated our pop culture!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 08:37:33 AM »

BELLY HIGH - the feeling you get after a good belly dance, or a school where they teach the fine art of belly dancing

FJL

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 08:42:08 AM »

Interesting, we had one of those "BK-reverence" moments on Friday night.  We were sensing a feeling re the Last Starfighter CD of "oh, everybody's got a CD nowadays" from some folks who were here, until we mentioned it was on Bruce Kimmel's label, which shifted the discussion and gave the CD much greater credibility.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 08:46:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  The day may be gray, but I am pink.

Haven't seen Spamalot, but I must say I did not care for Urinetown, which I know most people thought was a riot.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2006, 08:54:18 AM »

Hello, Bruce! Nize ta seeya...
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »

A whole pot of coffee later, and off I go into my day's reading... laters, gators!
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2006, 08:58:27 AM »

Strange, the system had me listed as logged in, but the screen looked like I was logged out, so i had to log in again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

R&H have not as many trunk songs as others, but they do have them - I recorded one from The King And I (Waiting), and My Best Love from Flower Drum Song.  TKAI had a couple of others, too, but I didn't want to do them.

Edisaurus

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2006, 09:19:11 AM »

Haven't seen Spamalot, but I must say I did not care for Urinetown, which I know most people thought was a riot.

A testamony to how funny I found Spamalot: as I was on my way to NY to work with my partner, the security patrol in our new neighborhood called while I was sitting on the plane, waiting for it to take off, to tell me our house was on fire!

I immediately called Greg, who had just dropped me off,  and he headed straight for the house. The whole time I was in the air, I didn't know how bad the fire was or if we would even have a house when I landed.

That flight was just about the most anxiety-ridden two hours of my life. When I was allowed to turn my phone on again I heard a message from Greg that the fire had gutted the downstairs but the upstairs was in good shape.

Even though I wasn't in good humor (we had already been to court that day on a different matter) I decided to see the show anyway and after the first half-hour I had momentarily forgotten about my miserable day and by the end was laughing my head off.

I ran into David Hyde Pierce in a hallway on my way out and told him about my day. He was very sweet and we talked for about 10 minutes. I think he was the most unpretentious famous person I've ever met...I felt like I was talking to my brother!

I liked "Urinetown" very much, too. I saw it on Broadway twice  and dropped in when the touring company came here. But I have to wonder if either of these shows would hold up on their own without knowledge of the objects of their parody? (I felt like U-Town was poking fun at "Le Miz" and maybe "Cats" at times, but having never seen them, I wasn't sure.)

Edisaurus

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2006, 09:22:13 AM »

R&H have not as many trunk songs as others

So...trunk songs are songs that don't make it into the show?

(Not to be confused with Saratoga Trunk songs...)

Edisaurus

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2006, 09:33:02 AM »

I would like to thank BK and all the DR's for keeping me from being lonely this week while Greg was up in the mountains having grizzly adventures. You all are a wonderful group of human beings!

Greg comes home today---O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Just in time to go to an Octoberfest party with a bunch of commie-pinko liberals! Here's a picture of him so you can see why I'm attracted to men with "high foreheads". ("Yes, sir. VERY high!") I haven't quite accepted the Vanzetti-style mustache, but hey---it's his face! (That's my brother in the background.)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »

AND SINCE YOU ASKED (WHICH NOBODY HAS):

StraightDope reports:

What is a fell swoop? And how did this phrase get into our everyday vernacular? --KS

SDSTAFF Ken replies:

Fell, from Old English, means awful, terrible or horrible. The word's stem can also be seen in "felon," which now is mostly used to mean someone who has been convicted of a felony (a serious crime), but which formerly meant one who is terrible, horrible or awful in behavior. The "swoop" is an onomotopoeia, indicating a fast movement. All together, "one fell swoop" means a swift, horrible blow.

Shakespeare, originator of so many English catchphrases, may have dreamed up this one too. It appears in "Macbeth": "What! all my pretty chickens and their dam/At one fell swoop?" (act IV, scene 3) laments Macduff, upon learning his wife and children have been killed by Macbeth. This appears to be the earliest recorded use of the phrase, although it may have been in common usage before Shakespeare wrote it down.

It's interesting that "one fell swoop," which originally had such a dire connotation, is now a mild term meaning "all at once." A similar fate has befallen the expression "fey charm."  Few people know that "fey" is an old Scottish term meaning (a) fated to die soon, or (b) full of the sense of approaching death (these definitions from the American Heritage Dictionary). So if you say someone has a certain fey charm, you're saying he or she exerts that morbid fascination associated with imminent death.

--SDSTAFF Ken
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2006, 10:39:52 AM »

Where do cows figure in in "Damn Yankees"? I was also surprised that we had a record with the word "Damn" in the title when no one was allowed to say that word, and I thought Yankees referred to people who lived up north.  

I believe where you were raised the term was DAMNYANKEES!
(one word)

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »

I would like to thank BK and all the DR's for keeping me from being lonely this week while Greg was up in the mountains having grizzly adventures. You all are a wonderful group of human beings!...

DR Edi - Several times, Hainsies & Kimlets have virtually kept me company while my husband was away.  It is nice, isn't it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 10:45:31 AM »

AND SINCE YOU ASKED (WHICH NOBODY HAS):

My Dad always used to refer to it as "one swell foop"!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2006, 10:54:28 AM »

I stayed up too late working on the New Haven Symphony...

Well, if Joseph Haydn can have a "London Symphony", then Larry Moore can have a "New Haven Symphony".

(Disney had Silly Symphonies, I suspect Larry's are more serious).

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »

I haven't quite accepted the Vanzetti-style mustache, but hey---it's his face! (That's my brother in the background.)

They take out banjos and I'm outta here!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:49 AM »

Last night, der B and I watched The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.  

It looked like Tim Burton meets Salvador Dali - I loved it!

Reading the IMDB review threads talking about homoeroticam and pedophia reminded me how much "kinder and gentler" the simple 50s were - I don't think anybody would have read the film that way then!

der Brucer  

Edisaurus

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2006, 11:21:59 AM »

They take out banjos and I'm outta here!
der Brucer

Hey now, that's an insult! Greg is a trombone player! (Or should I say that's a "low blow"?)

Do you know what perfect pitch is? It's when you get the banjo in the dumpster on the first throw!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2006, 11:23:07 AM »

A suggestion:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Don't Drop It!!![/size][/move]

::)

:-*

Thanks for the tip! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »

It looked like Tim Burton meets Salvador Dali - I loved it!
der Brucer  

I think it's also inspired by the Hieronymous Bosch triptych. I see a lot of the same imagery from this painting in the amazing dungeon scene.

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »

Sorry to suck up much bandwidth. I'll delete this post tonight. But it has to be large to see the detail. Notice the man inside the drum with someone banging on it, and the man flinging himself across the harpstrings? An amazing similarity!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »

"Is it...ATOMIC???" "Yes, sir! VERY Atomic!"

Ah, those were the days---when the Cold War infiltrated our pop culture!

The other day you posted:
Since I grew up during the Cold War, there was a proliferation of movies about things that went awry after being contaminated by radiation or something equally as evil. Things that grew big or mutated into something horrific. I went through all the "duck and cover" drills and these films seemed to contain the nugget of a possibility that maybe this could happen, so that made them scary to me

I meant to comment that, as silly as "duck and cover" might have seemed, it was really an effective self-defense mechanism to use against a non-direct atomic explosion of the World War II size (20Kilotons or so). However, after Bikini and the H-Bomb, all bets were off. One does not duck and cover from a near-hit by a 10,000 Kiloton bomb!

The Good News about H-Bombs is that there is very little radioactive fallout (they are fusion weapons which generate heat and blast energy, not radiation; there is a tiny bit of fallout generated by the A-Bomb used as the H-Bomb's trigger, however.)

From a weapons development point of view, radio-active fallout was always a problem! In most battle-field scenarios, the intent is not to simply deny the enemy the territory, but to claim it for one's own. We spent years developing "tactical nuclear weapons" - smallish, fairly clean, warheads that could be used to clean a target of enemy forces but render it safe for re-occupation shortly thereafter. A-Bombs have always gotten a bum rap: A-Bomb attacks on Japan were not as devastating as the fire bombing of Toyko (and not as grim as the fire-bombing of Dresden). It is their efficiency that makes them frightening. When a middle aged warrior warriors from the middle ages left acres of land strewn with body parts, and towns burned to the ground, and fields destroyed for years, history hardly noticed. But had the same carnage and devastation been the result of one wave of a Wizard's wand, it would still be remembered as an Event of the Century!.

der Brucer (suspecting that he will have difficulty selling a topic entitled "The Socital Considerations of Effective Nuclear Weapon Development and Deployment")

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2006, 12:02:24 PM »

Well, if Joseph Haydn can have a "London Symphony", then Larry Moore can have a "New Haven Symphony".

(Disney had Silly Symphonies, I suspect Larry's are more serious).

der Brucer

Mine are as frivolous as they come!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »

I think it's also inspired by the Hieronymous Bosch triptych. I see a lot of the same imagery from this painting in the amazing dungeon scene.

Neat! You're right! Thanks! (non-caffeine induced exclamation point frenzy - must be contagious!)

der Brucer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up