Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY DANCING  (Read 17941 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BELLY DANCING
« on: October 15, 2006, 12:37:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were new and exciting, and now it is time for you to post until the belly dancing cows come home.  Their having udder fun!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:20:43 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BELLY DANCING
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: CACHEXY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 01:09:59 AM »

Gesundheit!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 01:31:31 AM »

Well, it's around 1:30 AM and I have to start moving more furniture at 10:00 in the morning.  AND since I need to move my computer (forget about Rosemary's baby, pray for my computer...it totally crashed the last time I moved!!) I need to clean up the areas being moved:  my computer desk and my kitchen table.  After that, I'll get the couch, computer, TV, DVD players, VCRs, laserdisc player, bed, dressers and other assorted items moved without any trouble!

So, good night, BK and anyone else out there in the dark. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 01:33:35 AM »

Hello, fellow HHW people! Hope everyone is enjoying the autumn weather.

I have heard several rumors regarding a new Trader Joe's opening up a second store at 64th and Broadway, at the site of the former Empire Hotel. Anyone know anything about this? Jose? Larry?
I would be extremely happy to have my favorite food store just down the street!

Gotta go rest my eyes...Bruce's...blinding...smile....

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 04:10:20 AM »

My topic of the day for all you Broadway musical lovers and those who work in the biz: what do you think of musicals like "Spamalot" and "Urinetown" that make light of clichés in other Broadway shows? Is it even funnier to you because you've seen so many shows and recognize that certain elements can be formulaic, or do you take offense that the writers are mocking a form you love?

Personally I love satires that poke fun at film clichés, whether it's a drama or a documentary. But I don't have the depth of knowledge of musicals that some DR's have.

I did get pretty fanatic about Pippin when I was in high school, but nobody else I knew had ever heard of it. Our school didn't even have a theatre dept. much less musical theatre. But if you wanted to learn to weld, that was the place to be! So I got a kick out of the last chapter of BK's new book and remembered the excitement I felt when I first heard that album!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:46:53 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 04:14:53 AM »

I have heard several rumors regarding a new Trader Joe's opening up a second store at 64th and Broadway, at the site of the former Empire Hotel.

Iris, they're opening (at least) two here---one in Atlanta and another in Marietta. I'm quite pleased; it's much needed here in Marietta's culinary wasteland!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 04:18:35 AM »

Oh, goodie! I'm getting a nice package o' books! Thanks, BK!

(So many exclamation points...and I haven't even had coffee yet!!!!!!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:27:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were new and exciting, and now it is time for you to post until the belly dancing cows come home.  Their having udder fun!

Ain't it just great, and ain't it just grand...
We've got each udder!

When I was a kid, I didn't understand that you could play around with a rhyme scheme. So this was one of many lyrics that was mystifying to me. Where do cows figure in in "Damn Yankees"? I was also surprised that we had a record with the word "Damn" in the title when no one was allowed to say that word, and I thought Yankees referred to people who lived up north.  I also thought the show must have some lurid elements. How disappointed I was when I found out it was just about baseball!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 05:56:05 AM »

Good morning, all!  I stayed up too late working on the New Haven Symphony piece, and I would like nothing better than to spend another couple of hours asleep.  Instad, I have a trek to Toyland and its environs today, mostly a tidy-up of the office and a page count of several scores.

After that, I shall return, work some more on the score, and do some apartment tidying, since tomorrow the Mac Man arrives to tune up my computer.  I hope he can finally solve the email problem.  I'm able to retrieve my emails through Roadrunner's Webmail, which I use when I'm out of town, but I'm so used to my email format on Netscape that I am quite unhappy with the Webmail's format.  It's too much.

edi, I need to ponder your question, but my immediate answer would be that I like a good parody, no matter what form it takes, and I thought SPAMALOT was a hoot.  My mind is running slow this morning, but there have been shows in the past that parodied the genre or other shows.  The Weber-Fields company at the turn of the 20th Century made a great success with their comic - sometimes musical - versions of theatrical successes on Broadway, sending up "serious artists" such as David Belasco, Maeterlink, and the Barrymores with a troupe of comedians including Marie Dressler, Fay Templeton, Mabel Barrison, and Lilian Russell.

Martin Gottfried was partial to a flop in the 70s called SMITH, which kicked around a lot of musical comedy conventions, and DAMES AT SEA, THE BOYFRIEND, and LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE have been around for 50 years now.  Everything old is new again.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:39 AM »

Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde...
Well, he really was carrying her, since her recent CACHEXY had left her as limp as a rag doll, poor thing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »

...(forget about Rosemary's baby, pray for my computer...it totally crashed the last time I moved!!)...
A suggestion:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Don't Drop It!!![/size][/move]

::)

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 06:37:41 AM »

Der Brucer and I don't have a Trader Joe's nearby.  We would have to travel north, to Wilmington, or east, to Annapolis, to get to one of their stores, neither of which is a stone's throw away, and throwing stones is both rude and dangerous.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 06:43:11 AM »

I'm all for good satire.

I don't care for mean-spiritedness, which some people confuse with satire.

Mean-spiritedness should be what dies on Saturday night.

(Hmmm... I think Spamalot will be playing in Philly soon... might be worth a trip up!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 06:44:50 AM »

DR EDISAURUS - click on the line "See all my reviews" at Amazon, when you get there you will see an EDIT button so that you can edit your review.

I have deleted my superfluous review....must have gone up twice because I posted at the Softcover link and cut and pasted to the hard cover link.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 06:47:03 AM »

Pig with a wooden leg?  Well then I must post my famous Pig Pome:

One night in late October
When I was far from sober
Returning with my load with manly pride.

My feet began to stutter
So I lay down in the gutter.
And a pig came up and lay down by my side.

A lady passing by was heard to say:
"You can tell a man who boozes
By the company he chooses."
And the pig got up and slowly walked away."

With all due respect,
Your Nuts

(with apologies to DR FJL who found the above quote)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 06:47:35 AM »

More work today.....Read O Rama....I did 10 readings yesterday and was I tired?  Yes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »

Love the new record album and I am VERY interested in said LP software/turntable, I shall do some investigation on the matter.  Interesting.  And of course you must sing to Ms Parkins.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 06:59:52 AM »

Good morning!

Another chilly autumn day! No complaints. This is what I've been waiting for. I haven't turned on the heat in my house yet since we're going to get a warming trend after today. As long as I stay bundled up, I can maneuver around the house just fine, and once I start cleaning the bathroom later today, that will warm me up for sure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 07:01:40 AM »

Yes, I saw one of those ION turntable/CD devices advertised on Amazon last spring, and I put it in my shopping cart and bought it. A week before it was to be shipped, I got a notice from Amazon saying the release had been delayed, so I just canceled my order and figured I could get it some other time. Glad to hear it works so well and so easily.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 07:03:12 AM »

ION Turntable....I even like the name.

Chilly here, too, DR MATTH....but I am like you...fine with me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »

I saw SHOESHINE during a film appreciation class I took some years ago. I really liked it a lot, but I've never seen it since. It was a very touching work. De Sica was really on a roll with this and THE BICYCLE THIEF. He deservedly won special Oscars for both films.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 07:07:11 AM »

And I have ENCHANTED APRIL to look forward to this afternoon. I hope I haven't built it up too much in my head. I usually love this type of film.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »

I think I've pretty much finished programming my universal remote. I noticed a couple of buttons I needed from the old remotes last night, and so this morning, I programmed them into the new universal. I can't believe that within another day or two, once I've tested all the equipment in actual use and seen what features I still need to program, I'm going to be able to operate my homne theater with one device instead of six.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 07:12:37 AM »

Congrats on the UNIVERSAL success, DR MATTH....I bought one, but haven't begun to play with it yet.  And I have FEWER electronic devices than you do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »

Yes MR BK - as one who appreciates talent, you must attend the Belly Dancing Exhibition.  It is fascinating what the human body can be trained to do....dancewise, that is.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »

So BK, your name carries weight here in remote Kentucky. The Lovely Wife, as representative of Actors Guild of Lexington's youth intern program atended the auditions for the Theatre Association of Central Kentucky (I went earlier to the "pie & punch" reception they had before the auditions).  She got into a discussion with the very talented music director of another theatre there (he plays and orchestrates as well) and inevitably your name crossed the lips of The Lovely Wife and was met with awe and reverence.

I think you should go to the belly-dancing show.  Maybe a belly-dancer will make your heart undulate!

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »

Congrats on the UNIVERSAL success, DR MATTH....I bought one, but haven't begun to play with it yet.  And I have FEWER electronic devices than you do.

Once I can retire that remote caddy to the coat closet and have just the one device on my coffee table, I will think I've achieved nirvana!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 07:36:21 AM »

Once I can retire that remote caddy to the coat closet and have just the one device on my coffee table, I will think I've achieved nirvana!

I keep trying to turn up the volume on the Surround with the DVD remote....they are the same size and color....  :P

Off to work.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 07:36:31 AM »

Awe and reverence! Two very nice attitudes with which to greet the BK name and fame!

Hi y'all. Got a lotta reading done yesterday - then went to my pal Felice's for dinner - I brought the chicken and broccoli, she cooked it while I read (yes, reading again) her final paper for her degree in Theology. A twenty-five page paper examining the human fear of Non-Being. Her paper tied the theories of William James (brother of the novelist), Tillich and May together. And quite well... Felice and I have been talking about this stuff together since we were fourteen. I never expected such a scholarly piece from her - she is essentially a graphic artist, a painter, a multi-media artist. A high school drop out and poet. Anyhow, I was knocked out by such an erudite rendition of the central dilemma of Mankind...

So, today I have another four or five hours of reading, after which I MUST get over to the gym in this gawjus complex and loosen up these ol' joints! Can't complain - I love to read - sometimes have felt guilty about it - but my parents left me money enough to go to school for three years, finish the BA, get the Masters degree, and through it all, sit on my aging butt and READ BOOKS!!! (After finals in December, I'll even be able to read a certain book of short stories by an old friend of mind...) Whatta life!
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up