Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VAGARIES OF LIFE  (Read 24587 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE VAGARIES OF LIFE
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »

I'm back from THE PRESTIGE. I am SO pleased that I was able to figure it out before the end. But my poor friend Frank was lost, and I had to explain the film to him after it was over.

Beautifully made, grand performances (especially Jackman).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2006, 02:05:22 PM »

Lobster is my favorite...

Me too. One of the grandest meals I ever had was at on the Boston waterfront. I was on the Big-G's expense account and had the wonderful Lobster Savannah. Every other diner at our table for eight had been served, save me. Suddenly a hush descended on the previously raucous dining room; all heads turned as two waiters bearing humongous serving platter heaped with a giant stuffed lobster paraded slowly through the room. "Your Lobster Savannah, Sir" intoned the waiter. (The Head of John the Baptist had a less extravagant presentation.) Of course looking at the beast from the depths, I was uncertain as to whom was planned to nourish whom. Lobster meat, sherry, cognac, mushrooms, cheese - to die for!
Lobster Savannah
dapted from Locke-Ober Café, Boston
Time: 35 minutes
4 2-pound lobsters, cooked and cooled
2 tablespoons butter
12 large white mushrooms, chopped into  1/2-inch pieces
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped into  1/2-inch pieces
 1/4 cup brandy
 1/2 cup cream sherry
2 cups heavy cream
Pinch of paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese.

1. Remove lobster claws and knuckles, crack them open and reserve meat. Using heavy kitchen shears, cut a long 1 1/2-inch- wide rectangle out of the top of each lobster body, extending from about 2 inches behind eyes to about 1 inch from tail. Keeping body in one piece, carefully pry meat from tail, and set aside. Remove any meat from body cavity, as well as the green tomalley (liver), and set aside. Rinse lobster bodies and reserve.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut lobster meat into 1-inch chunks, and set aside in a bowl with tomalley. Place a large sauté pan over high heat, and melt butter. Add mushrooms, and stir until mushrooms begin to release their juices, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shallots and red pepper, and stir until liquid has evaporated and vegetables begin to brown.

3. Remove pan from heat, and add brandy and sherry. Carefully touch a lighted match to mixture to flame it. When flames subside, place pan over medium-high heat. Add heavy cream, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Add lobster meat and tomalley to pan, and stir. Add lemon juice, and adjust seasonings to taste. Allow sauce to simmer until lobster is heated and sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

4. Place reserved lobster bodies in a large baking pan. Place equal portions of lobster mixture in cavities of bodies, and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake until cheese is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings.

(The above is NOT from Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals")

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »

I should have known you would know where to find the boys AND the booze!  8)

I brought my own boy, thank-you!

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »

I remember being rather fond of Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.  Tried it not too long ago, though, and it didn't live up to what i remembered from decades ago.

I had no idea that any of these were still around. The one or two times I ate at them, I loved the food.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »

ENjoyed the information and pics of John Gabriel. I wasn't familiar with him by name, and the pictrues didn't ring a bell either, but it's obvious he has had a nice career. I'm sure he gnashes his teeth a bit to think he'd live in immortality if they hadn't recast the Professor with Russell Johnson.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2006, 02:12:26 PM »

THE CSI rerun on tonight is from last season, for those who are interested in watching. It's the one about the death at a food eating contest.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2006, 02:14:33 PM »

Oh, this day is dragging its ass.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »

Anyone feel like Ballin' the Jack?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2006, 02:16:47 PM »

Or Goosing the Moose?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2006, 02:18:29 PM »

Fish = :P

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »

I know what we all can do....everybody form a circle...

Put your left foot(s) in,
Your left foot(s) out,
Your left foot(s) in,
And shake 'em all about.
We'll do the hokey pokey
And turn ourselves around.

That's what it's all about.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2006, 02:21:40 PM »

Poor George.

Not even a tuna melt?

George

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2006, 02:21:49 PM »

Actually, it's more like:  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

Poor George.

Not even a tuna melt?

Nope...not even a tuna melt.  I do like McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and most "Fish and Chips" kind of fish, but that's probably because they're breaded and deep fried and don't really taste like "fish."  To me, they're really just crunchy breading for the tartar sauce.

;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »

In today's mail:  Season 3 of the 1960s TV series "Adventures in Paradise."

Orered today:  Season 1 of the 1960s TV series "Adventures in Paradise."

Out in today's mail:  I sent for the four free reproduction posters of Astaire/Rogers movies that is advertised in the volume 2 set of Astaire/Rogers musicals.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »

My heart's desire for future purchase:

Seasons 1-4 (32 half-hour shows each easaon) of "Sea Hunt"!!!!!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:04 PM »

Another guilty pleasure:

Dabob Bay

For those who like a nice and briny 3 inch oyster, this is a good one. It is grown on the shores of Dabob Bay, which extends off of the northern end of Hood Canal in Washington State.  It is harvested at a young age to keep it small and perfect for those who enjoy oysters eaten raw off the half shell.  You can expect to taste the ocean freshness and yet enjoy a sweet after taste when eating this wonderful oyster.

I discovered the joy of these gems when I spent time in Keyport, Washington.

I grew up loving raw oysters - ever since I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I would not like them!

When I was younger the best eating were the local Chesapekae Bay Blue Points. The only rule was to only eat Oysters in a month whose name contained an "r". The current rule is "never eat an oyster not caught in the Pacific".

(I relax the rule for Oysters Rockerfeller).

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:42 PM »

Nope...not even a tuna melt.  I do like McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and most "Fish and Chips" kind of fish, but that's probably because they're breaded and deep fried and don't really taste like "fish."  To me, they're really just crunchy breading for the tartar sauce.

;)

Nothing better for you than properly grilled fish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »

Anyone feel like Ballin' the Jack?

I beg your pardon?!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:54 PM »

I'm so intrigued by the story from DRs Elmore and FJL about the Mary Poppins audience being sent home last night.  Does that sort of thing happen often?  Anybody have any other stories along the same lines?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »

I am greatly looking forward to tomorrow afternoon....I visit my chiropractor again.

I'm gonna get properly aligned if it kills me!

The more I get done, the more obvious to me how long it's been since I felt really good.

I have so much more energy and stamina now.

Rowf!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2006, 02:30:23 PM »

I'm so intrigued by the story from DRs Elmore and FJL about the Mary Poppins audience being sent home last night.  Does that sort of thing happen often?  Anybody have any other stories along the same lines?

Ooh!   I must have missed something.  Did the audience misbehave?

Did Mary run out of sugar to dispense?

She's one strict nanny!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2006, 02:30:45 PM »

Rehoboth Gourmet T-Shirts:

der Brucer

Then there is this:

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2006, 02:31:17 PM »

Another guilty pleasure:

Considering how much I love fish, I've never developed an appreciation for raw oysters. They fall into the sea urchin "beat you to the swallow" category. Or as my little French boy says, "they're too sleeemy"!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:37:53 PM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

Ooh!   I must have missed something.  Did the audience misbehave?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could send home misbehaving audience members?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »

DerBrucer have you ever heard of the video came called Deer's revenge...

It is a role reversal...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2006, 02:42:21 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could send home misbehaving audience members?

This very thing happened at a Loudon Wainwright concert I attended at Town Hall a few years ago. Some drunk guy decided it would be cool to heckle Loudon. He was so obnoxious that the audience started heckling him back and then basically helped the usher oust the guy to much applause from the audience. It was the only time I've seen an audience take the law into their own hands. but what else would you expect at Town Hall?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2006, 02:44:10 PM »

I had no idea that any of these were still around. The one or two times I ate at them, I loved the food.

From Arthur Treacher's

NORTH CAROLINA
Arthur Treacher's 2401 Wake Forest Rd, Raleigh, NC 27608
Tel No. 919-836-8333

Arthur Treacher's 3536 Hillsboro Rd, Durham, NC 27705
Tel No. 919-939-0333

Arthur Treacher's* 3701 New Bern Rd, Raleigh, NC 27604
Tel No. 919-231-7771

Arthur Treacher's 4305 Fayetteville Rd, Raleigh, NC  27603
Arthur Treacher's 2114 NC 54, Durham, NC  27713
Arthur Treacher's 107 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC  27514

der Brucer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2006, 02:47:15 PM »

I don't eat fish as much as I should.  I do like it. I enjoy sushi and such.  Sometimes burgers are much more appealing than fish on a menu.

Happy B-day Jed!!!

Edisaurus

« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »

I knew a puppeteer from Atlanta who performed one of the main characters in '"The Lion King"--the bird, whatever his name is. He gave us a tour of backstage and told us some horror stories. If you've seen the play, there is a huge set piece, "Pride Rock", which emerges from the middle of the stage. One time it didn't come up, so they were forced to do the show on "Pride Beach"! Another time, the rock was sinking into position and one of the actors got his foot crushed because he wasn't in the right place. It's very important to maintain your posiitons, even off stage, because you can get beaned easily by one of Julie Taymor's zebras or other animals flying into the wings.

The people performing the giraffes have to walk on stilts, also pretty dangerous. If a giraffe falls, they really can't get up because the stilts are attached to their feet. (Think Bambi on the frozen lake). So they would have a gun and pith helmet standing by in the wings. If a giraffe fell, the tech person would don the hunting gear and run out on stage shouting "I got one" and the giraffe would then be dragged off stage.

Our friend said he never saw this happen. He did see one fall but it hadn't gotten on stage yet, so the audience never knew.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up