Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN SALAD  (Read 17428 times)

Ben

Re:CHICKEN SALAD
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 04:27:16 AM »

E&T is Errant and Truant, a favorite phrase of the denizens of HHW.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 04:28:11 AM »

Thanks for the WFMU link Edi. I will try to be there. I love those kind of sales. Though I don't have much room for more records or CDs it's always fun to look and who knows, I may find something I absolutely cannot live without.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:20 AM »

Larry and I think alike (re: E&T)

I have a few CDs in my bag. I will listen to them this morning. After lunch on Friday I always listen to BBC Radio 2. They have great half hour documentaries about various music people at 2pm (EST). After that is "Friday Night is Music Night". Francois and I are big fans of this eclectic and very enjoyable show.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »

Ginny, that's a nice bag o' swag for your colleagues, especially the Foundation Center stuff. I get my 50th Anniversary T-shirt next month when the festivities begin.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 04:37:33 AM »

Francois and I are big fans of this eclectic and very enjoyable show.

If you like eclectic, check out our local radion station with a tiny signal: http://www.1690wmlb.com

The morning host is a local actor and listening to his show is like listening to my record collection; you never know what you're going to hear next. Yesterday on the way in to work I heard vintage jazz, Mel Brooks' 3,000 Year Old Man, Talking Heads, some Indian music and various folk, country and calypso tunes. And of course, show tunes. Guy Haines would fit right in!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 04:43:18 AM »

It's rainy and miserable here and traffic will be horrible, so I'd better get on the road. Have a nice morning, Ben & Lar!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 04:50:44 AM »

Calypso.

John Gabriel recorded for MR BK?  Which CD?  I am behind the times, as usual.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52:18 AM »

I loved BODY HEAT....although it had received a LOT of publicity by the time I saw it.  Thought Hurt and Turner were great and really like Rourke and Danson as well....hmmmm, I guess that's what was in the notes.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

HALLOWEEN PARTIES!!!

Working today and tomorrow.  Oh well...then again on Tuesday....oh well.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: CANOODLE!
Casey would CANOODLE
With a strawberry blonde
And the band shouted out "Get a room!!!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 04:53:14 AM »

TOD

DVD:  The Towering Inferno Special Edition
VCR:  The Atomic Submarine
CD:  Cowboy Troy - but he will not be in there much longer.   Whew!  Worth almost the 99 cents I paid for it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 05:00:30 AM »

Can't find a still of Gabriel from THE HUNTERS, but just imagine him 30 years younger in a flight suit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 05:03:51 AM »

Thinking they were finally ALONE, DOC Adams and Miss Kitty tried to CANOODLE in an OLD CANOE they'd found on the river bank.  It tipped, prompting Festus to ask why they were both soaked to the skin when they returned to town.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 05:10:40 AM »

I saw it and I think that it was on last week.  I never saw her original episodes, but this was a very good episode.  I like it when shows bring back former actors or characters.  The remake "Battlestar Galactica" series brought back the original Apollo, Richard Hatch, but here he's playing a different character.  And he's a recurring chacter, not just a one-time guest spot.  That's pretty cool. :)
The naked guy from Survivor is on BG???  I thought he was in jail!!!

:o :o :o

;)

Michael

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 05:15:37 AM »

Dear BK:

I am on the rewrites of the review. But I will say my favorites were Opening Out of Town, The Book Scout, How To Wirte a Dirty Book, and Adventures With My Father.

Did you write any music to the lyrics like you did with Writer's Block?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18:06 AM »

TOD

No movies or TV watching this weekend as I will be out of town in Orlando, but I will have music for the drive up there. So I will be choosing 6 cds, probably instrumentals. A combo of Terry Trotter, Grant Geisman and other cds that BK produced.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 05:21:43 AM »

Calypso.

John Gabriel recorded for MR BK?  Which CD?  I am behind the times, as usual.

He recorded a song for A Hollywood Christmas.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2006, 05:28:30 AM »

Good morning, all!

edi, E&T is an abbreviation for "Errant and Truant."

I have to run to Toyland for a bit to use the fax, then stop at the NYPL Theatre collection.  After that, more brain surgery.

TOD:  
  CD:  Guy Haines, The Brain from Planet X, Susan Egan's Holiday album
  DVD:  Three Netflix items on hold for the Brain
  VCR:  Nothin' stops me there!

Did you do any work on Susan Egan's Holliday album?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2006, 05:30:45 AM »

Thanks DR MS....that is logical!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:29 AM »

Off to work.

I hope DR RODZINSKI saw the link the EDISAURUS posted about the radio station Record/CD sale....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2006, 05:39:13 AM »

The episode where the Doctor reconnects with Sarah Jane was two weeks ago.  Last week, he encountered Madame Pompadore.  This week is the start of a two-parter, which should be mucho nifty.

I don't play the "I like this Doctor better than that Doctor."  I've seen too many regenerations to fall into that trap.  Sad, though, that they won't be able to do a "Ten Doctors" special, they way they've had "Three Doctors" celebrating the tenth anniversary of the show, and "Five Doctors" celebrating the twentieth.

Sadly, the first three Doctors are gone now.  The Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, died of a heart attack while at a Sci-Fi convention in Georgia.  Third Doctor Jon Pertwee also died of a heart attack.  First Doctor William Hartnell passed away not too long after appearing in "The Three Doctors" - it was his poor health that prompted the series' creators to regenerate the character in the first place.  Another actor, Richard Hurndall, played the First Doctor for the "Five Doctors" special... and passed away shortly after that!

But that Hurndall was able to take over a part, even for just one story, underlines a major part of casting The Doctor.  Each Doctor, from the Second on, has been a highly idiosynchratic fellow, deliberately different from the Doctor that preceeded him.  There are no replacements for Troughton, or for Pertwee, and certainly not for Fourth Doctor Tom Baker (who is now far too old to play the role again).

So I doubt that we'll see a reunion of the Doctor's former selves in the new show's run.  On the other hand, I would love to see Nicholas Courtney brought back once more (or maybe twice or thee times) as the Brigadier.  Sure, he's aged, but he's human!  Unlike the Doctor, aging is something we do quite well.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2006, 05:58:54 AM »

By the by, having Elisabeth Slaydon return to play Sarah Jane Smith was an excellent choice, since she and Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) have much in common.  Not only have they both faced a number of varied enemies with the Doctor, they also have witnessed the Doctor regenerating, an unnerving experience for the few who have done so.

Sarah Jane was with the Doctor for three and a half seasons, beginning with the serial "The Time Warrior" in season eleven, and ending with "The Hand of Fear" in season fourteen.  At the end of that story, she was indeed unceremoniously dumped back on Earth by the Doctor, who indeed did not come back to get her after his trip back home.  No wonder she was so hurt in "School Reunion," with no explanations, no goodbyes.  How, exactly, she came in posession of K-9 has always bewildered me, since K-9 didn't become part of the show until season fifteen.  All the same, a spin-off series, K-9 and Company, joining Sarah Jane with the robotic doggie, was attempted but only lasted for one story.

If anyone is interested in watching the Doctor and Sarah Jane together on DVD, I suggest trying Pyramids of Mars.  Good story, and her interplay with the Doctor is also at it's best here.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:24 AM »

CANOODLE! One of my favorite words! I love the sound of it. In Victorian drama we often hear of couples canoodling. I think it's a shame we no longer hear this word; all the emphasis now is on steamy sex. Personally, I'm all for more CANOODLING!  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »

DVD: HUSTLE
CD: GUY HAINES

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 07:21:06 AM »

CD:  Guy Haines, Guy Haines, Guy Haines.  Besides the regular albums I've also been listening to some special compiliation albums of songs featured in the Kritzer books, all Guy's cuts from the various Kimmel albums over the years, and I've also been listening to the Bus and Truck cuts from Writer's Block.

I guess I've just been nostalgic for my old buddie, BK, this week.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

Good morning!

It's a rainy, gray morning, but it's not especially cool, especially for late October, so it's OK. A cold rain just makes for a miserable day. This one is tolerable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2006, 07:44:36 AM »

Very sad to read about Arthur Hill's passing. A wonderful actor and one of my favorites.

He won the Tony for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, and I had thought he had won an Emmy for OWEN MARSHALL, but he didn't. He wasn't even nominated, a horrific oversight!

I remember him fondly as Jessica Fletcher's publisher in the MURDER SHE WROTE pilot episode. There was also a suggestion that she was falling for him a little bit, too. Anyway, after the pilot, he only appeared in one further episode as the same character.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2006, 07:45:11 AM »

More beautiful pictures, DR Tomovoz. Thanks for them!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »

I, too, adore BODY HEAT, one of my favorite films of 1981. I have the first DVD issue. I must take it off the shelf and look at it at some point this weekend. TV pickings are lean, so I should have plenty of time to do that.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - NEW FACES OF 1952 (OCR)

DVD - GYPSY
          A TALE OF TWO CITIES
          BODY HEAT (just added to the mix)

DVR - Wednesday night's CSI: NY
          KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE
          ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU (the last half)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »

By the by, having Elisabeth Slaydon return to play Sarah Jane Smith was an excellent choice, since she and Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) have much in common.  Not only have they both faced a number of varied enemies with the Doctor, they also have witnessed the Doctor regenerating, an unnerving experience for the few who have done so.

Sarah Jane was with the Doctor for three and a half seasons, beginning with the serial "The Time Warrior" in season eleven, and ending with "The Hand of Fear" in season fourteen.  At the end of that story, she was indeed unceremoniously dumped back on Earth by the Doctor, who indeed did not come back to get her after his trip back home.  No wonder she was so hurt in "School Reunion," with no explanations, no goodbyes.  How, exactly, she came in posession of K-9 has always bewildered me, since K-9 didn't become part of the show until season fifteen.  All the same, a spin-off series, K-9 and Company, joining Sarah Jane with the robotic doggie, was attempted but only lasted for one story.

If anyone is interested in watching the Doctor and Sarah Jane together on DVD, I suggest trying Pyramids of Mars.  Good story, and her interplay with the Doctor is also at it's best here.

SWW,

I agree with you on the first three docs. They were incredible gentleman and each of them made the Doctor their own.  IT is sad that their will never be a true reunion show. Tom Baker was not in the Five Doctors either except through clips.

Tom Baker has done some audio stories. Peter Davison is also getting older. He is in his late 50s.

I liked Sarah Jane and K9.

I have a number of stories on tape as I would tape as the local public telly station would air them. Pyramid of Mars is an excellent one as is is Castrovalva, Logopolis, Deadly ASsassin, Black Orchid, War Games and many others.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up