Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN SALAD  (Read 17452 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:CHICKEN SALAD
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2006, 08:50:39 AM »

DR George:  Christopher Gorham was also a key character on the very wonderful, satirical TV series "Popular".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2006, 08:51:13 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]3[/size][/move][/color]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[size=8]3[/size]
[/move][/color]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]3[/size][/move][/color]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]3[/size][/move][/color]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:54:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »

The episode where the Doctor reconnects with Sarah Jane was two weeks ago.  Last week, he encountered Madame Pompadore.  This week is the start of a two-parter, which should be mucho nifty.

That's right...I remember now.  I've seen both of those episodes and I definitely want to see how the two-parter ends tonight! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »

"Ugly Betty" was just plain FUN last night.

And her nephew may have said he was Gene Kelly, but he definitely came off more like Bobby (from Bobby and Cissy on "The Lawrence Welk Show").

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »

I rather liked "Supernatural" last night.  It's nice to see characters evolving.  

George

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »

DR George:  Christopher Gorham was also a key character on the very wonderful, satirical TV series "Popular".

I never watched that show.  I don't even remember being aware of it. ::)

Well...it's time for work, then to Ikea!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »

Doesn't ANYone here have a birthday today?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2006, 09:32:55 AM »

Michael Shayne: Somewhere in the windmills of my mind (and perhaps even on a cassette) there is music for the Opening Out Of Town songs.  That's the only story in the book that started life in another form - as a spec script for Amazing Stories - the amazing part being we couldn't even get it read (and boy could that series have used a good script).  I remember two of the tunes pretty okay, but I didn't want to record them without referencing what I originally wrote.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2006, 09:35:08 AM »

Glad so many are enjoying Guy this day.  I really am toying with a new album idea, something completely different, which is the only way I like to do things.  I'll only say that it would be an "unplugged" type of thing - just Guy and a small instrumental group, all real instruments, very intimate.  We shall see.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2006, 10:09:16 AM »

I never watched that show.  I don't even remember being aware of it. ::)

Well...it's time for work, then to Ikea!

It debuted on the WB in 1999.  Its creator/director is an openly gay man who wanted to portray all that he found good and bad about high school.  So...he created the most outrageous characters, all based on stereotype, and invested them with pure evil, wit and major abilities to exact revenge on one another.

You'd have loved it!

George

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

It debuted on the WB in 1999.  Its creator/director is an openly gay man who wanted to portray all that he found good and bad about high school.  So...he created the most outrageous characters, all based on stereotype, and invested them with pure evil, wit and major abilities to exact revenge on one another.

You'd have loved it!

I think I would have!  I'll have to add the series to my (very long) Netflix queue. :)

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2006, 10:33:55 AM »

BK -
I L-O-O-O-VE the score to Murder on the Orient Express! That is, the film version with Albert Finney, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, and a host of others. What a story!

In the VCR -
Santa Fe Trail with Errol Flynn, Ronald Reagan, Raymond Massey, and a host of others. Talk about your scores--there wasn't ONE second of the film without Max Steiner's music! Oy.

Next up - Red River and Rio Lobo (all of these westerns were picked by my Dad)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:06:03 AM by Donna »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »

BK -
I L-O-O-O-VE the score to Murder on the Orient Express! That is, the film version with Albert Finney, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, and a host of others. What a story!

Richard Rodney Bennett was the composer.  Among his most wonderful scores, in addition to "....Orient Express." were "Far From the Madding Crowd", "Nicholas and Alexandra" and "Enchanted April."

He also penned the underscore to "Four Weddings and a Funeral," but it's a more sparse score than others since pop songs were liberally used in that film.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »

Michael Shayne: Somewhere in the windmills of my mind (and perhaps even on a cassette) there is music for the Opening Out Of Town songs.  That's the only story in the book that started life in another form - as a spec script for Amazing Stories - the amazing part being we couldn't even get it read (and boy could that series have used a good script).  I remember two of the tunes pretty okay, but I didn't want to record them without referencing what I originally wrote.  

And yet....didn't they do a rather smarmy episode about a guy who finds original music in the piano stool of a dead Broadway composer's estate...or in some way "channels" a dead Broadway composer through some old belonging....and then has success/failure as a result?  It had potential...but went way south of exploring said potential.

Or....maybe that was something else entirely???
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:48:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2006, 10:47:53 AM »

My favorite Richard Rodney Bennett score (and one I'm completely addicted to) is Yanks.  I worked with Sir Richard on a Mary Cleere Haran CD.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »

My favorite Richard Rodney Bennett score (and one I'm completely addicted to) is Yanks.  I worked with Sir Richard on a Mary Cleere Haran CD.

YES!  I always forget he wrote that.  I love the score AND the film.  

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »

Can't find a still of Gabriel from THE HUNTERS, but just imagine him 30 years younger in a flight suit.

Here he is, right in the middle of Lee Philips and Robert Mitchum

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:07:37 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »

TOD Media Check:

DVD:
Some scary movies for Halloween time..not sure what just yet but I made a stack of movies I have purchased and not yet watched so could be any of the following : STRANGLER OF BLACKMOOR CASTLE, SEVEN DOORS TO DEATH, SON OF INGAGI, 4 SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE, BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS...who knows!

CD:
A CD I finally got my hands on GALBI by an Arabic pop singer named Abdy.

DVR:
This weeks JERICHO and SURFSIDE 6.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2006, 11:24:59 AM »

Did you do any work on Susan Egan's Holliday album?

No, Susan contacted me last year about orchestrations for concert and she mentioned holiday music so I sent her a few things I'd done.  Nothing is on the new CD and she hasn't called me about any concert work.  I hope she does at some point but at present I'm busy enough!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »

I just called BK and left a message with Rollo.  Earlier I had a lovely conversation with Jonathan Tunick who begins scoring the film of SWEENEY TODD next month.  He was telling me he just conducted Richard Rodney Bennett's new score for the soundtrack to Sidney Lumet's new film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2006, 11:52:58 AM »

And yet....didn't they do a rather smarmy episode about a guy who finds original music in the piano stool of a dead Broadway composer's estate...or in some way "channels" a dead Broadway composer through some old belonging....and then has success/failure as a result?  It had potential...but went way south of exploring said potential.

Or....maybe that was something else entirely???

Is this it?
Gershwin's Trunk (1987)

Plot Summary for
"Amazing Stories"

Frantic to deliver a hit musical, conniving Broadway composer Jo-Jo Gillespie contacts the spirit of George Gershwin through psychic Sister Teresa, and makes marvelous music from beyond the grave.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »

Cowboy Troy - but he will not be in there much longer.   Whew!  Worth almost the 99 cents I paid for it.

You have to admit that it's *worth* 99 cents just to say that you know what Hick Hop is!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

François de Paris

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2006, 12:50:32 PM »

After that is "Friday Night is Music Night". Francois and I are big fans of this eclectic and very enjoyable show.

You can say that again! They don't have such a radio show here or in the States, and it's a shame! It's over 65 year old!

AND -- and I don't care if I get a "written" from managent -- I have downloaded REAL PLAYER to be able to enjoy the show! Ah!

Beverley was on last week's special edition of the show for the Voice of the  BBC Musical Theater competition! I posted a long write up last week too about it! :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:09:42 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2006, 12:53:50 PM »

Francois and I are big fans of this eclectic and very enjoyable show.

I used to listen to that show in the seventies, on my parents' radio with a lousy connection! Oh the statics! I even real-to-real taped some of them and I still have those tapes!

Of course I meant REEL TO REEL! But I'm fond of my mistake!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/fridaynight/ :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:11:13 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »

TOD

No movies or TV watching this weekend as I will be out of town in Orlando, but I will have music for the drive up there. So I will be choosing 6 cds, probably instrumentals. A combo of Terry Trotter, Grant Geisman and other cds that BK produced.

Ah, Orlando! I've spent 6 years of my life there! (Kissimmee, precisely!) Those were the days!

François de Paris

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »

"Ugly Betty" was just plain FUN last night.

And her nephew may have said he was Gene Kelly, but he definitely came off more like Bobby (from Bobby and Cissy on "The Lawrence Welk Show").

Or Bobby from the MM Club!

François de Paris

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2006, 01:07:05 PM »

I like that YANKS movie very much!

Oh, and I like that cd very much too! Miss Mary Cleere Haran has such a sophisticated style and charming voice!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:07:58 PM by François »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »

Rain has continued all day long here. No end in sight, either. Yuck!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2006, 01:19:25 PM »

A HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Associated Press
Ancient Roman Brothel Reopens in Pompeii
Friday , October 27, 2006

POMPEII, Italy — It was the jewel of Pompeii's libertines: a brothel decorated with frescoes of erotic figures believed to be the most popular in the ancient Roman city.

The Lupanare — which derives its name from the Latin word "lupa," or "prostitute" — was presented to the public again Thursday following a yearlong, $253,000 restoration to clean up its frescoes and fix the structure.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:20:10 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »

I started the afternoon  finshing ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU. I had never seen this before, and it was obvious that MGM was using it to jump-start Cyd Charisse on the back of an Esther Williams vehicle.

Cyd has three big production numbers in the movie (two with Ricardo Montalban who could have had a successful career as a ballroom dancer; he's very sensual), and she's certainly playing the second lead, just as she was slated to do in EASTER PARADE (had she not broken her leg). I think if she had been able to do these two films back to back, MGM could have elevated her to starring status in the late 1940s instead of having to wait until 1953.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up