Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES  (Read 56257 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:34:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were tuneful and in the key of C, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're singing What A Difference A Cow Makes, Twenty-Four Little Cow Pies.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:14:47 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: RAILLERY!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:45:49 AM »

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - not necessarily in that order:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 12:49:43 AM »

Raillery, raillera, raillery ee, ,ee,ee,ee
Raillery, raillera
My knapsack on my back

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:00:16 AM »

Almost famous lines:

Is that a gaggle of root-beer barrels in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

der Brucer

TOD: Rumors notwithstanding, NOT "Queen For a Day"

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »

Fletcher says to knock off the raillery and come to bed!

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 01:07:07 AM »

Hi, Der B! I enjoyed your posts yesterday.

I was a posting slacker, but I did do 4 hours of intensive yard work including pulling up about 50 small trees with the most wonderful yard tool ever invented: the weed wrench. You can pull up trees up to 2" in diameter. (I give them a good hug before I put them at the street.)

Then I did 4 more hours of prep work for painting at the new house. I painted the dining room yesterday. It was supposed to be terracotta but it looks more like chocolate. I have no idea what I'm doing. I know othing about decorating. Sheeesh!

My little French boy came over to help rake for an hour and then ran home to order a pizza and watch Desperate Housewives. America has ruined him! :-)

When I finally got home after midnight, the internet connection was down, so I'm just now catching up.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 01:11:19 AM »

When I worked on "Good Eats", the Halloween show was dedicated to jello. One of the recipes with Panicotta Brain with Cranberry Glaze:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_16947,00.html

You use the same brain mold as seen yesterday and tint the panicotta so that it's grey. Then after it's set, you drizzle the cranberry glaze so it seeps into the cracks like blood. Lovely!

The cat litter cake is not the most disgusting desert I've seen. That award would go to the "Scab Cake" that was featured in some children's magazine. When you cut open the red crust, a creme-filled center comes oozing out. Bleechhh. I hope y'all aren't reading this over breakfast!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 01:35:09 AM »

DR Rodzinzski, Wax 'n' Facts is still there, and still great. There are a couple of new stores that have opened up that are also great.

The Tara is still open too---it's 2 miles from my house. But we have experienced a real loss: after 65 years, the Garden Hills Cinema, a small art house which I imagine you may have attended, closed last week. I was really disappointed because this would have been a short walk from the new house. Bummer ! I'm sure they will build something tall on the site. I'm beginning to think that every one story building on Peachtree Street is in danger!

Anohter upcoming loss: the Roxy Theatre on P'tree St. in Buckhead. This was the first talkie theatre in Atlanta and has beautiful art deco details. The whole block will be razed to build something tall. I really don't see why they can't keep the theatre as a keystone and build around it.

RIP Roxy--with an appropriate marquee...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 01:36:15 AM by Edisaurus »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:04:51 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a couple of errands my dad wants to run this morning and I then will return here to finish this humongous Christmas medley.

DR FJL, I found the corgis to be the real stars of THE QUEEN; always on their marks, always in character, true supporting actors.  Of course, their support made Ms Mirren look even better, which is - I would suppose - one of the hallmarks of a great supporting actor. Toby and Dylan should be campaigning for Oscars for them.

And now, errands.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 05:08:00 AM »

TOD
Candid Camera

Which is the only reality program of the past that I remember seeing.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:09:37 AM »

Great Brain From Planet X site at MySpace. I like the old movie feel that it was given.

Also BK has his own page.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 05:51:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: RAILLERY!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde,
Sharing RAILLERIES and quips with the others dancing,
who were there for their weekly tango lessons.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 05:55:09 AM »

Will Billy the LIAR RELY on his usual RAILLERY with the Judge, in order to get his sentence reduced, or will he tell the truth for once and accept his full punishment?

Knowing Billy, that's a silly question, isn't it!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 06:07:19 AM »

Raillery, raillera, raillery ee, ,ee,ee,ee
Raillery, raillera
My knapsack on my back

der Brucer

This reminds me of a show that ran in LA when the "Family Hour" (or some such named gimick) was instituted on television.  It was part of the campaign to return a half-hour to local stations, taking the thirty minutes from seven-thirty to eight from the networks.  

Well, before the local stations realized that they could fill that half-hour with syndicated programming, one of the local LA stations decided to fill it with a group of travelogues, one for each day of the week.  The travelogues were made of home movies by various people, generally retired couples with little else to do with their lives.

One of the programs was called The Happy Wanderer, starring some guy named Slim, who may have been at one point was certainly wasn't no mo.  It featured as it's theme song "The Happy Wanderer," complete with "knapsack on my back" refrain.

The show was boring.  It was worse than boring.  It was nauseatingly boring.  It was visit-some-distant-relative-who-breaks-out-a-musty-photograph-album-and-explains-every-picture-to-you boring.  It was Dad-puts-on-a-slideshow-from-the-family's-recent-trip-to-an-airshow-and-he-isn't-listening-when-you-say-"We-were-there-with-you,-Dad!" boring.  (My Dad would actually do this to us.   :-\)

Ah, yes, the reality programming of yesteryear.

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 06:13:03 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today and tomorrow I will be finalizing preparations for Wednesday evening's sparkling "Meet the Grantmakers" panel that we're hosting here at my library.  After that I will have 5 days off in a row  ;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 06:13:37 AM »

Today has started electrifyingly.

Or, more to the point, it started less than electrifyingly.

Our power went out for about half a second, right as I was logging on to this here sight.

The computer had to be rebooted, of course.  The clocks all seem to be fine, but the televisions also needed rebooting.

Other than that, it is a beautiful day here in Rehoboth.  The sun is shining brightly.  The sky is blue and all the leaves are green.  My heart's as warm as a baked potato. I think I know precisely what I mean, when I say it's a Shpadoinkle day!

George:  ;)!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 06:15:04 AM »

DR Ginny - That's much better than having five off days in a row, any day!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 06:16:29 AM »

To me, most of these reality series both in the Golden Age and today are not real because they are specially staged.  The only true reality series I ever watched was AN AMERICAN FAMILY in the 70s.  This was television at its best and what reality means.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »

DR Ginny - That's much better than having five off days in a row, any day!

LOL, DR SWW!  I've had my share of those, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:25 AM »

The only true reality series I ever watched was AN AMERICAN FAMILY in the 70s.

What he said.

Edisaurus

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:40 AM »

I think I know precisely what I mean, when I say it's a Shpadoinkle day!

"Cannibal" reference!!
Well, it sounds better than a Shipoopi day!

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 06:29:54 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today and tomorrow I will be finalizing preparations for Wednesday evening's sparkling "Meet the Grantmakers" panel that we're hosting here at my library.

Ahem....

If you meet anyone who feels the need to give a tax-deductable donation to two struggling documentary filmmakers to clear the theatrical rights for their stock footage, send them our way!
www.willowpondfilms.com

Shameless plug of the day! ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:30:33 AM by Edisaurus »

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 06:32:42 AM »

Re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

spoilers

I did think the episode was interesting. I was quite spellbound by most of it.  But am I the only one who thought the who got shot, and who died bit highly predictable. I mean they basically showed lynnette getting shot on the promos. And nora was expendabla and completely annoying. And since there were only a few people in the store (edie, her nephew, julie, nora, lynnette) it seemed fairly obvious from the start what would happen.

I do wonder if lynnette will be consumed by guilt (for telling carolyn that nora tried to seduce her hubby - causing carolyn to kill her). But the death may not take on as huge a role as others have speculated. I mean nobody liked nora. So besides kayla, i can't imagine that anyone will really grieve.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 07:07:55 AM »

V I S T A V I S I O N
Motion Picture High Fidelity
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 07:08:44 AM »

Wow yesterday we had pictures of:

Birds
Cats
Rifles
Day of the Dead

AND the recipe for a Kitty Litter Cake - which I am going to make if I ever get invited to another party in my life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 07:09:25 AM »

Very excited about:

Emily & Alice pre order for $19.98!

FLOWER DRUM SONG w/commentary

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 07:10:09 AM »

I am doing something wrong at MYSPACE.  I am registered, but when I try to join the Friends of Brain....I am told I must be logged in/registered to do it....and I am...but I am not.  I feel like Ro-Man.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »

I loved Truth or Consequences!

But MY favorite would be PEOPLE ARE FUNNY because Art Linkletter was the perfect host...he could interview a regular person very well...and he rarely made them the butt of the joke as Mr Groucho Marx would do - although Mr Marx was THE MASTER.

BUT I choose People Are Funny because I saw my first computer on that show.  UNIVAC....the size of a living room with lots of lights and cards and whirring noises...they used it to solve the problems of nuclear fission and overpopulation.  NO NOT REALLY....they used it to match up people for dates.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 07:26:49 AM »

Good morning!

Another gorgeous fall day, but we're in for a COLD, WET election day tomorrow, so I'm going to be out several times today to enjoy it all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up