Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE  (Read 50068 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:15:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had both variety and spice, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're reading variety and having some spice (cayenne).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:16:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:17:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: VIVIFY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:25:40 AM »

The humour of DR FJL does a lot to vivify my days.
Lot's wife did not vivify with her gaze.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:05:55 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am awake early, eager to pick up my mail at the Post Office and thinking about cleaning off my desk to begin more Brain surgery.  I have a trek to Toyland around 10 AM to check out anything that might have happened in the past week, and then I shall return home to The Brain.

My return to New York was quite strange: we boarded the plane at 5:10 PM EST, and after we were ready to depart, the pilot told us there was a 40 minute delay at Laguardia.  I figured, I'll never get to the polls now!  Five minutes later we left and landed on time.  I was voting by 7:45.  I think it's all those wonderful HHW vibes from so many excellent folk that did it.  I thank you again.

Of course, I learned later the polls close at 9, not 8 as I thought, so I still would have voted before they closed, but I'm happy it all worked out as it did.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 05:06:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: VIVIFY!
Casey would waltz
With a VIVIFIED blonde -
Actually, a blow-up doll whose feet he had glued to his own shoes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 05:08:39 AM »

Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance would occasionally have a falling out.  On those occasions, Lucy would stomp to her dressing room, cursing loudly the words "Vivi?  Fie!!!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »

Glad to see the turnaround with the democrats. perhaps now there will ne changes.
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 06:32:08 AM »

amen!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 06:42:57 AM »

Politics.

Never mind.  I composed a post and then erased it.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:44 AM »

Variety IS spicy.  

Vivify is nothing like vivisection, is it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »

Thanks for the SOUTH PACIFIC report DR MS....the extras look very interesting.

So exciting to hear MR BK's thoughts on the new Special Edition DRUM.

Woohoooo....yes it has also ALWAYS been one of my favorite R/H scores for the songs mentioned in today's notes.  Never saw it onstage, but the movie is so very entertaining.  Word is that Ms Kwan and Mr Adiarte are included in the EXTRAS so I am very excited to see them.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY:

A lot of your TV work was done one-camera movie style, but you also did some shows that were three camera.

Were the three-camera shows shot in sequence?  Did you film the show twice or were pick ups done afterwards....or were the pickups done at the time the scene was shot?

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 07:12:32 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Today I'm working a split shift - 8am-noon, then 5-9pm.  Our "Meet the Grantmaker" panel is tonight.  It's the sparkling finale to our year of 2nd Wednesday nonprofit networking events.  I always look forward to it  - and to it being over.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 07:38:26 AM »

Here's my favorite voting story from yesterday:  the manager of my department moved into a new home earlier this year.  Knowing that his driver's license did not show his current address, he took along a piece of mail he'd received at his new house.  He was told that that particular item was not a valid verification of his address.  Who was it from?

His county board of elections  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:43:46 AM »

Good morning!

When I woke up around 8:30, the skies were blue, and it looked as iof we were going to have a quick recovery from the dismal weather-day we had yesterday. Since then, however, the gray skies have NOT cleared up (A BYE BYE BIRDIE reference), and it may rain again. It is a bit warmer today than yesterday, however, so I should be able to wear a long sleeved shirt without a jacket at lunch today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »

No need for me to jump on bk's FLOWER DRUM SONG bandwagon. I have had one of my own for years. Always loved the movie overall and the score has been one of my favorites for decades. CAROUSEL is probably my favorite but FLOWER DRUM SONG would come next.

The only thing in the movie I could do without is the "Sunday" comic ballet. It goes on too long and isn't very entertaining. The song is great, but it just goes on too long. The dream ballet for "Love, Look Away" which most everyone condemns is one of my favorite moments in the film. It's so surreal; it's unlike anything else in the musical cinema that I can relate it to.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FLOWER DRUM SONG (along with my other DVDs in the same order) comes in the mail today.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 07:49:35 AM »

In the event that FLOWER DRUM SONG doesn't arrive on my doorstep today, I have as compensation last night's episodes of HOUSE, VERONICA MARS, and HELP ME HELP YOU.

The boxed set for MEDIUM's second season and CSI: MIAMI's fourth season have also arrived so there is no shortage of things to watch.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

BK, I loved your discussion of DRUM...the movie has been one of my favorites since I was a wee bit of a lad of about 8.

Along with the cast members that you mentioned I also think Reiko Sato, as Helen, does a fine job. She died very young and I have been unable to find out the circumstances.

Chop Suey and Grant Ave are my two favorite numbers.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 07:55:09 AM »

A question for Ask BK Day:

Do you feel vindicated about the 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack on the FLOWER DRUM SONG DVD after all those months of "experts" telling you it was only going to be a Dolby 2.0 stereo track?

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 07:57:47 AM »

My Question of the day:

What DVD have your purchased or recieved this year, blind...a movie or tv show you were totally unfamiliar with...that, after watching it, became one of your favorites.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »

DR MattH, HELP ME HELP YOU (that's the ABC show on after DANCING WITH THE STARS, right?) was not on last night. They went right to election coverage after DWTS.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 08:14:11 AM »

DR MattH, HELP ME HELP YOU (that's the ABC show on after DANCING WITH THE STARS, right?) was not on last night. They went right to election coverage after DWTS.

Ah, well, if that's the case, it'll be a quick delete on my DVR. I guess they'll show the episode preempted last night in a week or two.

Thanks for the info.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »

Now, I'm going to clean up for my lunch outing with friends.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY:

A lot of your TV work was done one-camera movie style, but you also did some shows that were three camera.

Were the three-camera shows shot in sequence?  Did you film the show twice or were pick ups done afterwards....or were the pickups done at the time the scene was shot?

Yes, the three camera shows were always done in sequence, like a play, with an audience.  If memory serves, we did a run-through with an audience that was filmed, and then the real deal with another audience - but I may be remembering wrong.  Certainly there were a few pickups at the end, and if something majorly went wrong they cut and started the scene over again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 08:24:27 AM »

A question for Ask BK Day:

Do you feel vindicated about the 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack on the FLOWER DRUM SONG DVD after all those months of "experts" telling you it was only going to be a Dolby 2.0 stereo track?

As you know, I knew whereof I spoke, but the "experts" are always worrywarts and know more.  It's hard to feel vindicated though, because the experts, once proven wrong, either disappear and are never heard from again, or they just ignore the fact that they were completely wrong.  Of course, someone could point it out to them, but it never does any good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:33 AM »

My Question of the day:

What DVD have your purchased or recieved this year, blind...a movie or tv show you were totally unfamiliar with...that, after watching it, became one of your favorites.

Certainly King's Row would fit that description, but there were a few others, too.  I'll try to think of which.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:59 AM »

Film producer N. N. Sippy passed away in Mumbai, India yesterday at age 75.

Mr. Sippy produced two of the most popular 1960s Bollywood thrillers...GUMNAAM and WOH KAUN THI?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 08:27:07 AM »

Advice - (which I seldom seek)

We own the THX Digitally Mastered DVD version of the King and I.

Will the just released version look any different?

Is the second disk of extras worth the money?

der Brucer

I plan on buying the new Carousel and DRUM.

I'm taking a pass on South Pacific- hate loathe those  colored filters.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »

Do you hear that? It's the sound of the telephone not ringing.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up