Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE  (Read 60405 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE
« on: November 12, 2006, 12:19:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are, therefore, in the know, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently doing as little as possible, like Jake Gittes in Chinatown
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:30:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: COSSET!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »

I won't be the first to make a miserable connection to the word of the day.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »

oooh, first page, gleaming and ready for BOOK SIGNING PICTURES!

This first one is of Bruce happily signing away.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:40:48 AM »

This picture is Cason Murphy and Kevin Spirtas who attended the signing, two stars of "The Brain"
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been up since 6 AM; my colleague on BABES IN TOYLAND is finally back to New York, and we have about two weeks of work before The Brain consumes my life completely.  I think today we wil lay out the plan of attack for the next two weeks, examine what questions he has from the work he was doing in London while he MD'd THE LAST FIVE YEARS, and tackle - hopefully - the big Act One finale question.  I believe during the next two weeks he's only free in the evenings, which is good:  I can work all day here on The Brain, and then go down to 14th Street in the late afternoon.

After I return from the office, I have quite a bit of Brain surgery today.  My goal is to finish up the title song, its reprises, and "the Plan" and its reprise.

I also missed goddaughter Charlotte's performance in GODSPELL this weekend. I regret to say.  I'm sure she was quite wonderful, and I've sent her lots of flowers begging forgiveness.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: COSSET!
Casey would COSSET
His strawberry blonde
With foot masages every night after they danced.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:49:43 AM »

Bal-Can-Can is an interesting film.  It's the story of Trendafil, a pacifist from Macedonia, and his father's blood brother's son Santino, from Rome, who swore on his father's deathbed to take care of Trendafil should he call for help.  Call for help Trendafil does, because the carpet into which the body of of his late granny-in-law was rolled (don't ask) has been stolen, and he must get it back.

Hilarity ensues.

The film (and second-generation blood brothers) pursues the carpet across the Balkans, with every conflict in that region exposed and ridiculed.  Some of what happens is downright surreal, all of it at least bizarre, and the ending is somehow heroic and satisfying.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:52:50 AM »

Der Brucer did not care for the subtitles for Bal-Can-Can.  The optical printing was highly substandard, making them hard to read.  But this is one film that needs subtitles, and cannot be simply dubbed, since the dialogue is in Macedonian, Italian, Albanian, Bulgarian, and Servo-Croation.  That there are so many languages being spoken is part of the point of the film.

Maybe what we all need is good subtitles.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 06:01:21 AM »

The Master, a film from Poland (in Polish and Russian) wasn't all that good, really.  Sure, a lot of the cinematography was wonderful, but the story was an impotent muddle.  The characters were almost sort of interesting, but gloomy, and everyone smoked and drank too much.

Here's a link to a comic that says it better than I can.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 06:07:38 AM »

DR SWW---I'm enjoying reading your notes from the film festival. Since we have a few coming up, I'll know some films to avoid!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:08:11 AM »

Today, we're trying to get tix for Dreamship Surprise, a German send-up on every Sci-Fi smasho from Star Trek to Star Wars... wait, that only takes us from "Star T" to "Star W".  So, "Star U" and  "Star V" will be included, but forget about "Star X," which would follow W.

Oh, well, it's bound to be funny in spite of it's limitations.

We need to be in the tix line early, because these shows sell out fast.

I also need to get off work on time today, because I'm scheduled to get off at 5, and the film starts at 5:20.

And none of the festival screenings have trailers shown, so there's no buffer as to start time.

We'll be catching up later.

Edisaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »

I've recovered from my weepiness of last night. I cry a lot in movies but that's the first book that's made me cry in a long time!  (I love movies that make me cry, usually...)

JRand56, I tuned in to Mad TV since you had mentioned in, and got some good laughs out of it! Thanks! Who know that Seth McFarlane was such a cutie? I'd never seen The Family Guy before but TBS just acquired it so I started cutting topicals for it last week, creating the template which they will then farm out to some company out of house. I have to say that I think ours are funnier than the ones that aired last night!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 06:20:57 AM »

I wish the festivals did show trailers, but then they wouldn't be able to schedule as many films as they do. I guess they figure people will come because of the write-up in the program. I've been fooled many a time by a glowing description.

I just added some more credits to our Sacco and Vanzetti listing at imdb and noticed that now we have enough votes for it to have a rating. (You need 5.) Two old geezers (45+) gave it the lowest rating they could. I wonder if they have even seen the film?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 06:21:51 AM »

Glad you liked MADTv, DR EDISAURUS.  I think the cast is very talented, and they do some very funny stuff.  They certainly hit the mark more often than some other shows.

I was a bit surprised to see a young and good looking Seth McFarlane myself - who knew?  

I will watch for the FG spots - since now I know someone who worked on them!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 06:22:29 AM »

Waiting to hear from my sister about Kachina.  I don't have to work today, so I don't know what or when the news will be.  I may call after the store opens at noon to check.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »

This is Seth McFarlane who writes and voices the father on THE FAMILY GUY.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »

I wish the festivals did show trailers, but then they wouldn't be able to schedule as many films as they do. I guess they figure people will come because of the write-up in the program. I've been fooled many a time by a glowing description.

I just added some more credits to our Sacco and Vanzetti listing at imdb and noticed that now we have enough votes for it to have a rating. (You need 5.) Two old geezers (45+) gave it the lowest rating they could. I wonder if they have even seen the film?

My guess is no they haven't - did they write comments?  ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 06:26:48 AM »

No of course they didn't.

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 06:28:41 AM »

Kachina's plight sounds similar to my 20 year old cat, Art. He had been taking thyroid meds (Tapezole) for several years. He got so good at taking it that I could pratically throw it acoss the room and he'd get it. He had also been having sub cu fluids for several years. He went deaf, and certain sounds would trigger these seizures where he would spin around in circles, then flop on his side and have spasms---sometimes loosing bladder control---and then finally come out of it, very groggy for a few hours. The sounds that caused it were sharp sounds...a spoon on a glass, water hitting the pavement, a can being opened. His last couple of years we found ourselves operating very quietly around the house. After he was gone, it was hard to get used to doing things at a normal level again.

Please let us know Kachina's prognosis, DR JRand. All my kitties have their paws crossed for her and send her healthy vibes.

Edisaurus

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 06:31:13 AM »

JMK---how did the singing in Portugese go last night?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »

Thanks DR EDISAURUS....I will.  Very interesting info.

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 06:53:31 AM »

I will watch for the FG spots - since now I know someone who worked on them!

These would only be the ones that run on TBS, and I only did the first few, to establish a style and look for them. I wish I could do them all---it's a funny show. And Seth McFarlane has one of the most beautiful speaking voices ever. He does the voices of Stewie, Peter and Brian Griffin. Pretty amazing voice talent!

Edisaurus

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 07:05:25 AM »

Have you ever written a long post and submitted it, only to be told that you must be logged in and lost it in the ether? I guess my time expired while I was writing it. Drat!

Anyway---one of the guys at work gave me a CD of music from a Brazilian guitarist named Seu Jorge...it was mainly David Bowie cover tunes that were recorded for "The Life Aquatic". (Maybe JMK would like to learn "Sapce Oddity" in Portugese?) Jorge appears in the film, too.

There is a scene in the film where Bill Murray and Cate Blanchett go up in a hot air balloon above the ship. While they are having a conversation, the background music shifts to Joan Baez's Sacco and Vanzetti song, "Here's To You (Nicola and Bart"). It was totally random and I wondered how that song was chosen. I guess that's the case with some of Wes Anderson's films---("Royal Tennebaums", etc.) they are full of "random" stuff and the humor seems to be derived from just how very random it is. I can see some aesthetic references to the wildlife films of Jean Painlevé, which I love, but I couldn't really get into the film and felt the need to multi-task.

So, I'm wondering----am I just a 45+ geezer and are these films really funny? I'd be willing to give it a second chance if there was something I was missing. (I did like "Rushmore" very much.)      
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:09:32 AM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 07:22:31 AM »

DR Rodzinski---you must have come to our station when it was up off of I-85 in the office park? Sorry I missed you! I do remember Arms Akimbo, though...

Edisaurus

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »

OK---now that I've sucked all the air out of the room, I'm off to work at the other house.

ˇHasta la vista!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 07:31:53 AM »

Good morning DRs, and DR Edi --

We must tip-toe around the Living Room, as the Grande Mensch is probably still in the arms of Morpheus and dreaming about tap dancing and book signing.......and Leslie Parrish.

and DR Edi -- I know what you mean about parts of BK's book.  WHen I finished "Adventures With My Father" I was really sad and teary.  Even though it is fiction, there is a lot of reality (I think) that is based on close life parallels to someone we know.  And I don't like to read stories where someone I know and am fond of, dies and is gone by the end of the story.  I'll be interested to see what you think of it when you finish the book.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 08:15:04 AM »

Good morning!

It was raining when I went to bed last night, but I awoke to a beautiful November morning: bright, cold, and breezy. I have my usual Sunday chores today, so I doubt I'll be out in the weather much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 08:17:02 AM »

I am making a very late start on the internet this morning. I had a horrible night of sleep. Let me just say it's HELL getting old when little aches and pains makes themselves known while one is asleep but not likely to remain so. Then, they ease, and one settles back down until he's awakened again. This happened three times during the night, and I awoke feeling pretty much zombie-like.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 08:18:17 AM »

As I've been DVDing a lot over the last few days, I must clear the DVR of last week's shows before another round of show recordings begins tonight. So, SUPERNATURAL, LAW & ORDER, and VANISHED become the priority this afternoon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up