Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE  (Read 60397 times)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
Re:AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »

~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »

Many of us have learned the hard way with long postings that have been lost - before you push "post" it is best to highlight the post and do a control C (or whatever your shortcut is to cut-and-paste) - then if you lose it, it's just a simple control V and it's back.

i often do this, but this was the first time my log-in timed out. I shall be more careful in the future---or else not write such long posts!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2006, 06:24:52 PM »

Kitty Kachina is eating normally and resting today.  8-)

Hurrah! Glad to hear that!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:55:54 PM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:42 PM »

I know isn't Bruce just soooo sexy!

Yessssssssss!

Edisaurus

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

There is a scene in The Mentor when a young couple is having a spat; the lass spits out "I may be the younger one in this relationship, but you're the child". The guy reacts with a sarcastic "Bravo" accompanied by a few hand-claps. The problem is the camera is close up on her for her lines, and we hear the first hand clap right before she finishes and we cut to him .

Blame the editor?

You could blame the editor. I would have tried to find another take with a clean version of the last word and substituted it, if the inflection matched. The sound editor could have done this, too. And the sound recordist should have noticed the overlap and gotten a clean version if one didn't exist. (Greg certainly would have done that!) So, lots of people to blame, including the director, who apparently wasn't as observant as Der B!

Edisaurus

« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »

I know the Festival does a lot of good work in the community - but just wonder how much of the loot finds its way back to the film creators?

I  can answer that: ZERO!

I've had numerous films in hundreds of festivals, and have never seen one dime in return. But there is always the possibility of securing a distribution or television deal, so you go for the exposure. And the fun! This is part of the payoff, since we never make much money with docs. Going to a festival (a deductable expense) is how we take vacations. We haven't had a vacation this year, but next month we'll be going to the Santa Fe Film Festival. (I have two fiims there.)

One thing the Atlanta festival does is solicit all these entries (and they have hundreds of responses---sometimes over a thousand) and the entrants pay the fee---usually $35-$50 a pop. Then the festival curator goes to festivals and cherry-picks films and invites them to the festival. These people don't pay an entry fee. So it's knocking the other people out of the running who paid the fee in good faith to enter.

That said, when I showed our film at the Rome festival, I got to know the Santa Fe curator and we were invited there without having to pay a fee. I guess that's karma for getting turned down by the Atlanta festival!

Edisaurus

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »

Great Halloween buys, DR derBRUCER.

I am watching one of my favorite movies EVER....recognize the quote:

Reading: "Do you find the idea of wifeswapping distateful?" (beat)  I find the question distateful.

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, and the film that made me want to become an editor. (altough I didn't know it at the time...)

Bud Cort was in "The Life Aquatic" BTW. Even he couldn't keep my interest up!

Edisaurus

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2006, 06:46:12 PM »

Basil Poledourisder Brucer

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! He was a great one, and his score for "Red October" was a classic. I've used it many times for trailers.

Edisaurus

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »

Time to nit-pick.  The festival had sold out fifty-seven of their screenings, not twenty-seven.
Good showing, I say.

That's a fantastic showing. Way better than Atlanta!

Edisaurus

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2006, 06:57:29 PM »

Let's see....can I possibly suck any more air out of the room?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2006, 07:10:05 PM »

Gratuitous post #8000.

Congratulations on your plateau!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2006, 07:20:54 PM »

For those who were left scratching their heads on this one, the "S" in S. Woody White is the initial for Stephen.

I much prefer Woody, a nick given me during college.

Dare we ask why?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »

Congrats on the 8k posts, Steve.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2006, 07:26:47 PM »

Well, I've had lovely email exchange with Richard Berent, music director for The Brain, I've laid out three numbers, I had a good morning in Toyland, and I'm ready to fall over.  My goal is to get through two numbers tomorrow, and hopefully I will have a nice visit from our E&T DR Jose.  I gather there's some disillusionment going on in DC.

In show biz, there's a broken heart for every light on Broadway.  I'm tuning my lights out now.

G'night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »

Edisaurus-
Yes, right next to US 85 on an access road. That was the Ch. 69 I went to. All the interviews with rock people they/you did would be great stuff for youtube, if anyone kept any footage. Just because it is rare and, what else could one do with it? Did you know the guy, Glen, I think his name was, who hosted a show called The Jazz Beat?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »

Tomovoz, my query for you today is about a song called "Tom Tom Turnaround" by New World. Just reading the Chapman-Chinn entry in my Faber 20th Century Popular Music guide, and it says that song was their first hit. And the band was from your neck o' the woods.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »

Oh, and my question is just, do you recall the song?

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2006, 07:41:44 PM »

Yep.  Australian trio who made the bigtime inthe Uk on "Opportunity Knocks".  The programme and their "wins" were the subject of some scandal re votes rigging etc!
They also had hits with "Try To Remember" and "Sister Jane".  Bigger in the UK than here.

"Try to Remember" was a hit for them here. (Jan 69)
In England there frist hit was a cover of "Rose Garden"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

Yes! Do you wish to have a copy?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

Well I just book my tickets to LA for Dec 9 and leaving on Dec 10. Got the sale of the century!  Total cost: $5.00!
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2006, 07:53:48 PM »

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2006, 07:56:21 PM »

Just to prove that Bruce Kimmel and haineshisway.com and brucekimmel.com are everywhere. Here is a picture I took in Berlin when I was on vacation.
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, and the film that made me want to become an editor. (altough I didn't know it at the time...)

Bud Cort was in "The Life Aquatic" BTW. Even he couldn't keep my interest up!

And the name of the film would be????
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2006, 08:13:44 PM »

Desktop
PC
Cr-Rom & Disc Burner no longer work
Took forever to boot up

It was time

Thanks for answering my nosey questions. I'm sure you'll enjoy having a new one where things work the way they're supposed to.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »

I did indeed watch CARS this evening. Delightful Pixar animated feature. No, the story is pretty predictable (and having just seen OVER THE HEDGE yesterday, they share the same theme).

So, it didn't scale the heights of FINDING NEMO or THE INCREDIBLES, but their CGI animation continues to be head and shoulders above everyone else's. The race scenes are simply jaw-dropping, and some of the landscapes and other set pieces are peerless. And there's a sweet, tuneful Randy Newman song called "Our Town" that I enjoyed very much. Should be a cinch for an Oscar nomination if it's a new tune.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »

Put in the Cukor/Garland A STAR IS BORN to watch a half hour or so of it. I wonder if a new transfer would help the film. It looks good enough, but compared to some other Cinemascope movies of the period (THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS and SEVEN BRIDES come immediately to mind), this doesn't look as good on DVD as they do. Of course, it's much longer, so I suspect more compression was used to squeeze the film onto one side.

FJL

« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »

Michael S - Which performance(s)  of BRAIN FROM PLANET X will you be at on Dec. 9?  Matinee, evening or both?

MBarnum - Will you be at either of the Sat. Dec. 9 perfs, or only the opening night on Dec 8 (aka BK's birthday, IIRC)?

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES ramped up the melodrama tonight as we found out interesting things about Orson's mother (the wonderful Dixie Carter) and Lynette found out something that seems hideously disturbing about the new neighbor.

And any time Richard Burgi returns to the show, even for one too brief scene, it's a cause of celebration for me.

FJL

« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »

Congrats to Woody on your plateau.  

Wish I could come up with an anagram for plateau in your honor!

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2006, 08:26:31 PM »

Once again, BROTHERS & SISTERS was my favorite show of the evening.

Grand family drama with some flashbacks to 9/11 that had me teary-eyed. Kevin and Scotty's break-up also had me teary, and Sally Field, Patricia Wettig, and Calista Flockhart had masterful confession scenes that had my full attention.

I will have tissues handy from now on when watching this show.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:40:33 PM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up