Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 56611 times)

Ben

Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 06:24:46 AM »

I watched some of the Alice episode this morning. It's available on AOL at AOL TV. They have many Alice episodes to choose from but the Bruce episode is Sixty Minutes Man. Who would have thought that our Bruce Kimmel could do so well as a nebbishy, mild-mannered truck driver  ;D

FJL

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 06:35:34 AM »

vixmom -  I just happened to have written an email on the subject a while back, so here's the very brief rundown of getting the rights to Last Starfighter - i think there's more detail in the album liner notes:

I wrote a draft of the book of the first act of Last Starfighter to see if there was a musical there.  We did not show the original screenwriter what I had done with the book for Starfighter at that point.  The representatives of Jonathan Betuel, the screenwriter (who is based in L.A.), seemed to be willing to deal with us because they saw that Skip had already gotten great reviews in the L.A. Times and Variety for his score to Time and Again based on the San Diego production.  Jonathan Betuel did ask to hear some of Skip's score to Time and Again before the discussions went any further regarding Starfighter.  We had the feeling that no one else had ever asked about doing a musical of Last Starfighter, and that seemed intriguing to him.  (We got a contact phone number through the Screenwriters Guild; they gave us the phone number of Jonathan Betuel's representatives, not a direct number.  We didn't get a direct number for Jonathan Betuel until he was convinced we were legit and serious about the project.)

Every underlying rights situation is different, of course.  We were fortunate that Jonathan Betuel had been able to keep the stage rights to his screenplay, so that we got to deal with the screenwriter directly rather than having to deal with a large studio for the rights.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:40:59 AM by FJL »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 06:58:45 AM »

Hi everyone!   Remember me??

A thousand and one apologies to BK and all you wonderful people for my absence.  There's no real excuse for it, aside from the usual "busy with work, busy with wedding planning" stuff.  I plan to spend some time this evening catching up on the days of posts that I've missed, about 8 in all, so I should be up on everything happening by then.

I hope everyone is doing well, but just in case

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sick vibes for those who need them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
work/school vibes for those who need them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
general "happiness in life" vibes for one and all

and yes, I will willingly submit to the bitchslapping machine, if our esteemed leader deems it appropriate

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast here today but not especially cold. I think a long sleeved shirt and a light jacket will keep me warm enough if I go out to lunch with friends.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 07:07:07 AM »

Always good to see familiar faces back at the forum. DR Jose yesterday and DR Ann today. Wonderful!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 07:09:54 AM »

I'm SO excited about the return of MEDIUM tonight. I welcome it back with open arms (and open eyes in HD, too!)

The new Taye Diggs drama DAY BREAK has not gotten generally good reviews, but I'll record it to see how the premise is going to work. From what I read, this is not a two hour pilot tonight but rather two one hour episodes placed back-to-back to introduce the series.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 07:11:39 AM »

I have four hour long shows from last night to watch today, so I doubt I get any DVD watching in. If I do, it'll probably be more of those Warner Bros. cartoons that I started yesterday.

I'm on the very famous one with Bugs against the bull in the bullring.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »

Oh, I do have the special features on the JULIUS CAESAR DVD that I want to watch. One is a tribute to Brando and the other is the Robert Osborne introduction to the film that I skipped when I watched it last night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 07:14:54 AM »

Re: last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS.

I'm gonna see if i can find that predictor site now.

I do think that emmitt works really hard. His work ethic is one of my favorite things about him.  It just seems to me that they were giving away 10s last night.  I wonder if his moves were much simpler than mario's (they looked that way to me).

I think they intended to have it come out even so the judges aren't a factor at this point, but they clearly favored Mario - as they have all season.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 07:18:09 AM »

DR Jennifer - does that predictor site just include phone calls or does it include the internet?

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2006, 07:51:29 AM »

Good morning DRs and H/Ks -- Hopefully the Grande Mensch is still asleep and dreaming about CD pre-orders.  We got ours placed yesterday with DP Kerry doing the honors.

A happy Oakland morning to RP .....may your cheerleader prosper!

A bright NYC morning to DR Ben -- the world is safer because of DangerMouse!

Good Morning DR Matt.......I will never figure out how you manage to absorb the amount of video that you do, and on a daily basis??

Happy morning to DR JMK...could you share about the significance of the building that is in your picture here?  And am I correct that you are up the pacific northwest area?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 07:52:09 AM by MusicGuy »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2006, 07:52:39 AM »

The difference between Mario and Emmitt is rhythm.  Mario has it.  Emmitt not so much.  Emmitt's size has a lot to do with that.  I realize that, as an athlete, Emmitt has his own type of rhythm, but on the dance floor, he's a bit of an oddity.

Yes, Emmitt has worked hard and does a fine job.

But Mario has him beat by miles and miles for moves, rhythm and panache, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 07:58:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MusicGuy

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 07:54:35 AM »

Dear suave MBarnum...... I think I'll save the Rhonda Fleming story to tell you in Los Angeles.  I have visions of you showing up looking like a dashing Raymond Chandler character.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 07:55:43 AM »

A happy Oakland morning to RP .....may your cheerleader prosper!

Thank you, MG!  May we all live to see another day when she's saved!   ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

Good morning, DR Music Guy:

RE absorbing the amount of video I do : It's a gift, I guess, AND a curse!  :)

MusicGuy

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2006, 07:58:12 AM »

Amen RP ........ well, I must off to do a few errands, produce a little bit of work, and (yea!) generate some billable hours today.

See you all later........ Take care of yourself Jose !!  Don't make me turn you over my knee !

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

I didn't watch hours and hours of TV last night.

I did watch most of "Friday Night Lights."

What I did do was iron shirts.  And trousers.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »

I think Emmitt has proven so popular to the masses because of how far he's had to come to pull within range of Mario's moves. I truly don't think anyone would think he's a better dancer, but as it was made clear from the beginning, Mario had some dance training before all of this started. Emmitt has had a lot of ground to make up, and I think that's what he's been rewarded for doing.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see him win. Folks love to see athletes excel in something other than athletics.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »

What I want to know is.....when DR Jose pulled out his thumb, did he say, "What a good boy am I!" ?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 08:02:06 AM »

Maybe next go-around, Dancing With the Stars can entice O.J. Simpson to be one of the stars.

It might go a long way toward completing the whitewash over his guilt.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »

I see a lot of older Hollywood films are being released next week.

Fox is releasing the wonderful O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE. Unfortunately, instead of giving it the bargain price of one of their Studio Classics or Noir lines, they're putting a premium price on it. As terrific as I think the film is, I won't pay $20 for one film with next to no extras on it. I'll keep the DVD-R I burned when the movie came on the Fox Film Channel.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 08:12:30 AM »

Universal is putting together a set of classics: THE BLUE ANGEL, LOVE METONIGHT, PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, THE GOOD FAIRY, but they're asking too much for it, too, especiall since several of these were released previously.

And then Warners is coming out with new sets featuring Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, and the Three Stooges collected from the few features those teams made for MGM/Warners. They're priced more attractively.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 08:12:57 AM »

Off to clean up now for my lunch date.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 08:33:37 AM »

What I want to know is.....when DR Jose pulled out his thumb, did he say, "What a good boy am I!" ?

Perhaps someone else did!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006, 08:37:45 AM »

Tonight on tv we have the 2 hour season premiere of MEDIUM (on NBC). And at the same time is the 2 hour premiere of the new Taye Diggs show on ABC.

I actually won't be home at 9pm, so i'm planning to tape them both.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »

Ha, DR MattH, i wrote my post above before reading your post where you wrote the same thing!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY - who do you think most represents the Masculine and Feminine Ideal for the movie decades of the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

I would start by saying:

1940's - Tyrone Power & Rita Hayworth
1950's - Marlon Brando & Audrey Hepburn
1960's - Paul Newman & Carroll Baker

These things are so difficult and change daily, but:

40s - Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake
50s - Cary Grant and Audrey (or Eva Marie Saint)
60s - Marcello Mastroianni and Monica Vitti

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »

RE: dancing with the stars

I think they intended to have it come out even so the judges aren't a factor at this point, but they clearly favored Mario - as they have all season.  

I personally think they have been too generous to emmitt. And i thought that they might have slightly favored mario (although the scores didn't show it). But i think it's because mario is basically dancing like a professional.

And re: them doing it so the judges vote isn't a factor. I personally think the judges vote SHOULD be a factor.

Anyhow even if the judges had given mario a perfect 90 and emmitt much lower, the judges scores still wouldn't count. They changed the voting this year. Last year if they had given mario higher (even by one point) he would have received a 1 for first place. But this year it's based on percentages. So all season the only votes that have counted are the public's votes.

I think that it should be 50-50. The public's vote should only count for 50%. I loved how they did the voting last year. This year it is quite unfair.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »

My ask BK Questions:

!) How do we book tickets for the December 9th evening performance of The Brain From Planet X?

2) I saw the episode of Alice that you did (The Sixty Minute Man) online the other day. Do you get any kind of residuals for airing via the internet?
(I am sure back then who would have thought reruns who be seen there or have a life on DVD)

FJL has provided the box-office number, which is the easiest way to book them.

I have no idea what resids might be due from on Internet download, but having received a few residuals for the DVD release of episodic shows I've been in suffice it to say you could maybe buy a lunch at MacDonald's for them.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006, 08:49:41 AM »

RE: dancing with the stars.

I think emmitt has done as much as he could do. He excelled to his capabilities.  So basically he could not have done better.

I do think some people like the underdog. But i don't think that is why people are voting for emmitt. He is hugely popular. I mean he had millions and millions of fans before this show. ANd most people had never heard of mario. I think that is the difference, and that is the part i don't like.

I don't mind if people dislike mario. Or if they think that emmitt has worked hard. I just feel like emmitt's popularity is more to do with him being a sports legend.

Btw, is cheryl (emmitt's partner) starting to grate on anyone else's nerves at all? She is a very good coach. But she's acting like she thinks they deserve to win.  For some reason with all reality shows i tend to favor the best vs the nicest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up