Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 56615 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »

I will say always beware of watching those DVD introductions - they sometimes show clips and give away everything about the film.  There's a Todd Haynes intro on The Reckless Moment DVD and in it he reveals every single plot point, and they show clips to illustrate - the intro runs about twenty minutes.  These stupid DVD companies need to call these things something else, like "an appreciation" or "so and so on whatever film" and then say clearly that there are spoilers within and it is recommended to watch the film first.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 08:51:04 AM »

DR Cillaliz re: your question about the predictor site.

I am not sure. I think it may only include the phone voting. But i suspect that they are quite accurate.  For instance if there was even a chance they were wrong they would say so in the percentage of error.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 08:58:33 AM »

Ooh, Cary Grant....if I could just go back in time. *drool*

~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »

Watching Morocco last night got me interested in the Foreign Legion. This site satisfied a lot of my curiosity.
http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/
Speaking of Morocco...Gary Cooper in 1930...whooeee!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:22 AM »

In the case of DR Jose's thumb...is this a case in which "a stictch in time saves ten"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:37 AM »

Yes, if Jrand's question had included the 30s, I would have had Mr. Cooper and Miss Dietrich.

Morocco is a wonderful film and so are all the other von Sternberg/Dietrichs, especially Blonde Venus, my personal fave of their films.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »

I will say always beware of watching those DVD introductions - they sometimes show clips and give away everything about the film.  There's a Todd Haynes intro on The Reckless Moment DVD and in it he reveals every single plot point, and they show clips to illustrate - the intro runs about twenty minutes.  These stupid DVD companies need to call these things something else, like "an appreciation" or "so and so on whatever film" and then say clearly that there are spoilers within and it is recommended to watch the film first.

I agree with you. Terry Jones introduces the Jacques Tati films on the Criterion DVDs, and if one had never seen them before, he gives away lots of jokes and sight gags. Unforgivable!

Robert Osborne's intros tend to be more background related types of things and almost never resorts to spoilers. But I haven't watched the JULIUS CAESAR one yet, so it might be a first for him!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2006, 09:25:02 AM »

No one watched the premiere of 3 LBS. last night? I didn't read any good reviews from national critics about the show, but our local TV critic (whose opinion was a day late coming since yesterday's paper wasn't delivered until today; see yesterday's posts for explanation) liked it.

I'll see it at some point today.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:25:43 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:47 AM »

DR MUSIC GUY:
I was planning to be in LA to attend the Brain opening, but something came up at this end and my plans are now uncertain. If I'm in LA I'd love to join you all for the brunch.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2006, 09:37:01 AM »

Hi gang!

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:27 AM »

Yes, if Jrand's question had included the 30s, I would have had Mr. Cooper and Miss Dietrich.

Morocco is a wonderful film and so are all the other von Sternberg/Dietrichs, especially Blonde Venus, my personal fave of their films.
I wasn't sure what to make of Blonde Venus, at first. I thought it was going to be some kind of cautionary tale about cheating on your husband.  ;)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2006, 09:44:47 AM »

I think for the 30s, it'd be a toss up between Miss Dietrich & Miss West.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »

Rodzinski.. your mail box is full
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »

MattH.. I saw 3lbs last night. It was ok but it didn't grab me.... I don't know if I'll keep watching as it is against Boston Legal....

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »

George... your package arrived yesterday. Thank you so much! The Vixter was over the moon with joy... and kept hiding behind the seat cushions whenever the the cybermen appeared!

Yea!  And if you're interested (I certainly am), the DVD to Doctor Who:  The Complete Second Series will be released on January 16, 2007!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Beating Back The Cold Vibes to DR George[/move][/size]

Thank you very much! :-* ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »

I'm supposed to be at work fairly soon (if not already ::)), so I'm off.  Have a good day, all. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2006, 10:19:54 AM »

Hot Voodoo!  Hot Voodoo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »

No one watched the premiere of 3 LBS. last night?

Totally didn't interest me...so few of the "new" shows have captured my imagination.

I'm willing to give tonight's "Day Break" a shot...but only one.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

I didn't watch 3 lbs either. Didn't sound like my type of show. But additionally i did not see a single promo for it.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:28 AM »

VERONICA MARS (no spoilers) was so good last night.  DR MattH, i look forward to reading your comments after you've seen it.

George

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »

I didn't watch 3 lbs either. Didn't sound like my type of show. But additionally i did not see a single promo for it.

It didn't interest me, either.  I've only seen one commercial for it and a little bit of an interview with Stanley Tucci on the CBS morning show.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »

Yea!  And if you're interested (I certainly am), the DVD to Doctor Who:  The Complete Second Series will be released on January 16, 2007!  

Oh Good Grief - I thought I had just finished Christmas shopping with this:

Matthew Bourne

“This season, my New Adventures company presents a brand new stage adaptation of Tim Burton’s classic movie Edward Scissorhands. It is a hugely original gothic fairy story that is simple and universal enough to be told through music and movement alone. Both touching and funny, it has moments that will thrill the kids and others that will have adults in stitches and maybe even reaching for a hanky or two! If you’ve seen our recent work such as the adaptations of Swan Lake and Nutcracker!, you’ll recognise the witty and imaginative approach we always strive for.

When I first saw the film, I was immediately struck by two things. Firstly the beautiful, achingly romantic score by Danny Elfman which will be the backbone of our stage version (arranged by the brilliant Terry Davies). Secondly, the title character originally created by Johnny Depp. Edward is the ultimate "outsider" expressing himself through movement rather than words with much of his appeal being physical and emotional. He is not unlike a silent movie actor and this lends itself beautifully to our production.

The characters and the visual landscape are also a gift for both myself and our designer Lez Brotherston. We have the creepy mansion, the graveyard, snow storms, the colourful suburbia of Hope Springs and of course Edward’s topiary and ice sculpture creations. The costumes too are incredible - from Edward’s ‘scissorhands’ to the sculpted bouffant hairdos of the female townsfolk. We’ll also be packing in a few surprises and I firmly believe that I have assembled some of the finest actor/dancers in the country to realise this unique piece.

Tim Burton, Danny Elfman and screenwriter Caroline Thompson have been fantastically generous in allowing us to take this highly personal creation and make it our own. It’s a creative partnership that promises to deliver a magical and unforgettable night out.”
Matthew Bourne

It will be playing at The Academy of Music in Philadelphia. I tried to book tickets on-line and I kept getting seats in Row BBB or CCC - which did not show on the seating chart! (Logic would place them in front of AA - and that would be in the pit.)

I called the box-office, and sure enough they have added rows in the pit area! I don't mind being close, but for a spectacle like a Bourne ballet, I'd like a bit more visual perspective. It's only a six day run and the subscribers have all the best seats. I told the gal on the phone that I was open to any performance of the run - just two good seats if possible. She said would I go for a Matinee - sure! Well, she got me two seats in row EE (fifth row Orchestra) the second and third seat off the left aisle - not too shabby!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2006, 11:49:06 AM »

Time to do some DVR watching so there is room for tonight's shows.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

Back from shipping stuff, which I decided to do pre-jogging.  I shall now jog so that I can be post-jogging.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »

I think Emmitt has proven so popular to the masses because of how far he's had to come to pull within range of Mario's moves. I truly don't think anyone would think he's a better dancer, but as it was made clear from the beginning, Mario had some dance training before all of this started. Emmitt has had a lot of ground to make up, and I think that's what he's been rewarded for doing.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see him win. Folks love to see athletes excel in something other than athletics.

I think Emmit is more fun to watch. He entertains me.  Mario is technically more precise and in that sense is a better dancer. But, if they were both headliners,  I would pay to see Emmit because I know it would be fun and entertaining. I can't really say the same for Mario.

The judges said to Monique at one point that this isn't just a dance contest, it's about entertainment.  On entertainment value, my 2 cents would go to Emmit.  

But I do understand why others would prefer Mario

Ben

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »

Lots of recognizable names from the Playbill On-Line announcement:

The Brain
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:38:25 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »

Here's another in case you missed it:

RAW

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »

RAW spelled backwards is WAR, baby.

I've jogged (beautiful day out), I've shaved, I'm about to shower, and then must do a few more errands before being on my way to LACC and rehearsal and designer run-through.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »

Great choices, MR BK.

Ah yes Cooper and Dietrich....but I really LIKE Desire....so funny.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up