Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOTZING  (Read 75078 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PLOTZING
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:37:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes made you plotz, and now it is time for you to post until the plotzing cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:53:35 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PLOTZING
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:39:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: CANOROUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:59:46 AM »

TOTD:
Great Expectations.
Cry The Beloved Country.
Crime and Punishment.

I can't remember not liking books that we were "directed" to read.  As a teacher I often read the books that the students had on their lists. (I was not an English teacher).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:01:14 AM »

I doubt that my lessons were ever canorous!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:02:59 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I know I had to read quite a few things in high school and college, but the only one that comes to mind is "The Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. Le Guin, which I remember I liked.  

On my own, I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and some Ray Bradbury and during that time I discovered Fredric Brown, who has not written anything that I've read that I haven't enjoyed. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed.  Have a good evening, Tomovoz!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:05 AM »

Goodnight George.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »

Great TOD

Can't remember that far back, but the one book that does stand out for me is from college. I read Alice Through The Looking Glass in an annotaed edition and it was absolutely fascinating read. It's not just a kids' story. The main thing I learned that the story is a chess game.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 04:48:25 AM »

And..............

to FJL's DP

[size=9]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
[/size]

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:49:30 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 05:05:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am feeling a tad under the weather this morning, and I believe it's fallout from the humidity and the huge storm they're anticipating this evening.  I taped MEDIUM last night since I was working on Toyland edits until around 10:30, and I believe I will organize my Brain schedule, take a break and watch the video.

I''' work all afternoon on The Brain and then go back downtown around 6pm tonight.

TOD:
I liked SILAS MARNER more than I ever expected
TALE OF TWO CITIES
I had to read PARADISE LOST in college; did not enjoy it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:46 AM »

Happy Birthday Mr Skip!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »

Replacing someone.....difficult....but necessary.  Time to change the posters again - eh?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:28:54 AM »

TOD:

favorite:  Lord of the Flies

NON-favorite:  David Copperfield

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:10 AM »

Hopefully DR ELMORE has his CD today.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 05:33:04 AM »

I liked Great Expectations and the Shakespeare plays we had to read.

The toughest to slog through was THE JUNGLE by Upton Sinclair.  I don't think I ever finished it and just bluffed my way through the test on it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 05:47:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: CANOROUS!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
And the band played the CANOROUS melodies of Offenbach.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 05:53:10 AM »

When American teen Michael Fay was sentenced in Singapore for vandalism, I doubt that his reaction to his punishment was CANOROUS.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 05:54:07 AM »

And with that, I must get myself to work once more.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 06:08:08 AM »

Happy Happy to Skip! (Love Mr. Shayne's animation!)

Music Guy---I've had double sessions the last few days...thanks for thinking of me!

TOD:  Loved: A Separate Peace, David Copperfield, Magister Ludi
         Struggled through: As I Lay Dying, Go Down Moses

I admit I read more Cliff Notes than books. I liked reading books but not the ones they thought it was important for me to read!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 06:12:19 AM »

I have to speak about documentary filmmaking to 2 film classes at Georgia State tomorrow. They have already watched "Sacco and Vanzetti". I am positively dreading it, but a friend teaches the class so I said I would. I HATE talking in front of people...it makes me want to vomit on the ground!

BK...want to take my place? I'm sure you're an engaging speaker. Anyone taping your talk for posterity? I'd love to hear what you have to say...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »

Well I am afraid that DR RLP's physic number prediciting powers were not working yesterday.... ah well
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 06:19:34 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO THE MUTLI-TALENTED AND CHARMING SKIP!!!!![/move]

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 06:52:50 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I am slowly getting back into my routine after my five days off that weren't as refreshing as I'd hoped they'd be.  At least today is payday and there was some blue sky showing.

TOD - The book I was assigned in college that I didn't finish and had to bluff through the exam was Anna Karenina.  I'd always felt guilty about that, so decided a couple of summers ago to read it along with Oprah and her book club.  Got bogged down again and failed, for the second time, to finish it.  Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Also in college, I was assigned Madame Bovary, which I did read all the way through but didn't particularly like.  About 15 years later, working on a grant-funded reading program called "Books Under Fire," I read it again.  As a more mature reader, I finally "got it" and changed my opinion completely.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 06:53:46 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the great brithday wishes to Skip!  He's starting off his birthday by going to Costco with our friend Millie and with an unlimited license to spend spend spend :) but I'll show him all the wishes when he gets back.  He'll be thrilled.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »

Happy Birthday, Skip!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 06:56:57 AM »

The book that i'm embarrassed to admit i had trouble slogging through was THE GRAPES OF WRATH.    Those inter-chapters when we got away from the main plot made my eyes glaze over (at least they did when I was 15 yeard old), so that i had to finally give in and buy the Monarch Notes and learn about what those chapters meant that way.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 06:57:45 AM »

I have to speak about documentary filmmaking to 2 film classes at Georgia State tomorrow. They have already watched "Sacco and Vanzetti". I am positively dreading it, but a friend teaches the class so I said I would. I HATE talking in front of people...it makes me want to vomit on the ground!

BK...want to take my place? I'm sure you're an engaging speaker. Anyone taping your talk for posterity? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

DR Edi - You will be great.  If they've seen Sacco and Vanzetti, they know how good your work is and they will be interested in anything you have to say.

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 06:58:57 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKIP!!!!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 06:59:51 AM »

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty thebathtub."

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would use the bucket  because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No." said the Director, "A normal person would pull the plug.  Do you want a bed near the window?"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:01:08 AM by vixmom »

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 07:00:11 AM »

TOD - I had a college prep lit class that was all females - don't know why it just happened that way, so we read and compared Jane Eyre and The Woman's Room  that was interesting
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up