Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOTZING  (Read 75084 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PLOTZING
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 07:01:17 AM »

Good morning!

We had a stormy, rainy night with the wind and rain kicking up loud enough a couple of times during the night to wake me out of a sound sleep. Fortunately, no damage to the property that I could tell from a quick walkaround this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 07:03:45 AM »

Page Two BROTHER BEAR stampede!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 07:04:21 AM »

We also read The Fountainhead, which I loved. Can't remember much more about high school -

In college I took a great lit class called Belief and Unbelief.  We read The Brothers Karamazov, which I loved, The Stranger by Camus, that I didn't really get at the time, and many others.  

I loved lit classes and generally liked everything we read.  I know there were some that I ended up buying the cliff notes to get through the exam, but I can't think of what they were right now.   Heart of Darkness was one that I just couldn't get through, I do remember that
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:07:21 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:41 AM »

Good morning!

We had a stormy, rainy night with the wind and rain kicking up loud enough a couple of times during the night to wake me out of a sound sleep. Fortunately, no damage to the property that I could tell from a quick walkaround this morning.

I read this and thought....It was a dark and stormy night.  I was awakened several times by things going bump in the night....

seriously, glad there's no damage Matt

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 07:06:27 AM »

Better get to work. It's cloudy here today, but it's supposed to clear soon....we'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 07:06:43 AM »

Last night, in commenting about the season premiere of MEDIUM, DR George wrote:

"Not that that matters, but it's nice to see some personal stories every once in a while, except that I didn't care how Scanlon's personal issues were depicted."

I agree. That was a wimpy way out of the situation. However, I hadn't realized until last night what a terrible actress it is playing the assistant mayor. She's easily the worst actress I've seen on a prime time series in a regular role. (I didn't pay much attention to her last season as she was in and out quickly and didn't hook up with Scanlon until late in the season.)

Wonder if she's the wife or girl friend of one of the producers because I can't honestly see how else she could have landed this high profile job as bad as she is.

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 07:08:08 AM »

Ahh  Moby Dick. I just couldn't get through it. It kept putting me to sleep

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »

Good morning DRs one and all ( I know..... and all and one!)

DR Laura....do you know yet what your travel plans are going to be, going and returning to and from L.A. for the Dec. 8, 9, 10 weekend.  ??

Hi DR FJL.... I have you and Skip on the "breakfast list," and it is very possible that we could swing by the Sheraton Universal and give you a ride.  

And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Skip !!!

MusicGuy

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 07:14:13 AM »

I just had a warped thought........ I wonder if, at Temple, right after the offering everyone sings the Plotzology?  I often plotz at things both big and small.  I rather enjoy it.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »

Happy, happy, happy birthday, dear Skip!! May the lush and lovely melodies keep pouring outa yer wonderful skull!

Hanging on for the next three weeks... two papers in yesterday, another two due today... one on Tuesday, more exams, big project due after Thanksgiving, more papers... then Finals... and then a day to breathe, and then BRAIN!!!

Just one foot in front of the other. One more step, then the next.

Books, eh? Well, I loved Julius Caesar and MacBeth. Loved Old Man and the Sea. I liked Ethan Frome all right, and Jane Eyre. Moby Dick was a trial - i think I just skimmed a lot of that one. What was that Hawthorne book??? Don't remember. Red Badge of Courage - I was so knocked out by the way it was written, more than the story.

Later I made my own reading list from the used book store: I read one Hermann Hesse novel, and then HAD to read everything else. I periodically reread some of those. And Roberston Davies - read Fifth Business, and then bought everything else. and like that...
PennyO

MusicGuy

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »

TOD:

We had to read several Max Shulman (sp?) books, which I enjoyed.

I read Catcher In The Rye, which I also enjoyed very much (and wanted to date the hero!)

Then right at the end of school and over the next year, I read several of the Poe books and stories.  I was really mesmorized by "Dorian Gray" and probably re-read it 2 or 3 times.  It just created such a texture and feeling of I-don't-know-what.

Then later, I read Atlas Shrugged, and it totally blew me away.  Much of my outlook on government, personal responsibility, welfare, business and industry, was highly influenced by how my eyes opened while reading this.

There are still some very interesting parallels going on at the present....... a country that seems compelled to regulate and control way too many areas, and is driven to spend billions trying to "oversee" the rest of the planet, while much of its own infrastructure and industry sinks slowly into more disarray and lack of health.

oops.....sorry for the soapbox.

But A.S. really is a fantastic book to make the mind think.

MusicGuy

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 07:27:54 AM »

Hi DR Penny...... Do you think you can join us for our HHW breakfast soiree on Saturday mid-morning (the 9th) ?  It will probably be at the DuPar's on Ventura Blvd., out in BK's area.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:28:12 AM by MusicGuy »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 07:28:08 AM »

Yup - I agree. And then I had to read all the rest of Ayn Rand. Even the essays. Enough to turn a person into a Libertarian...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »

Dupar's... Maybe, if I am conscious and ambulatory, I'll try to make it.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR FJL's DP Skip!!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »

Okay, caffeine's kicking in - back to work. Oy...
PennyO

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »

Heart of Darkness and a similar book, V.S. Naipaul's A Bend in the River were painful and I didn't really read them.

Grapes of Wrath was the fastest I ever read a book. I put it off until the night before the test, and found myself utterly blown away by it. Although I did skip those oddball chapters.

Some books I didn't like at the time, but now look back at with fondness like A Separate Peace and Great Gatsby.

MusicGuy

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:19 AM »

It would be great fun if you could....and being C.&A. is much more fun than being E&T.  You know how the Grande Mensch can be about bitch-slaps.

And the breakfast is yummy at DuPar's!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:46 AM »

Have a wonderful day, gang.
PennyO

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 07:32:24 AM »

Happy SKIP-day!!

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »

I really enjoyed most of the books that were required reading. I most enjoyed THE SCARLET LETTER, THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE (which most of my classmates hated), LORD OF THE FLIES, GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

I, too, disliked MOBY DICK. I think the version we had was somewhat abridged, and it was still WAY too long. (Read Melville's earlier sea adventure books like TYPEE in college and enjoyed them very much).

Another I really did not like was THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY. In high school, all its symbolism was just beyond my comprehension. I think I might now enjoy it, but it was the wrong place, wrong time for me to read that book in 11th grade.

MusicGuy

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 07:34:11 AM »

good morning DR Rodz......you are looking dashing this morning!

and now, I must away so that I can generate some gelt!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2006, 07:34:12 AM »

TOD - I had a college prep lit class that was all females - don't know why it just happened that way, so we read and compared Jane Eyre and The Woman's Room  that was interesting

When I first read the HHW term of endearment, "Dear Reader", I immediately thought of Jane Eyre (one of my favorites):

"Reader, I married him."
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2006, 07:35:49 AM »

Another book I adored was Anne Frank's DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL. I don't think we ever read the play version, just the book.

I taught many of my eighth graders the play during my years of teaching.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:36:38 AM by Matt H. »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 07:38:08 AM »

Thanks, Rodzinski, for reminding me about Heart of Darkness--probably my fave HS reading assignment.  I still remember our teacher going over the allusions to Greek myths--e.g., the women knitting in the opening scene being the Fates, etc.  I also had to slog through a lot of Thomas Hardy, which was slow going, but always had an almost Agatha Christie-like payoff at the end, when you realized everyone was related somehow (i.e., Mayor of Casterbridge, etc.).

I remember how hard it was to make it through Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust and The Reivers.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

Boy, Moby Dick is not faring well here today.

(I'm going to leave the obvious joke for Der B.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2006, 07:41:41 AM »

DR FJL - please add my Happy Birthday wishes to those you pass along to Skip!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »

I remember how hard it was to make it through Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust and The Reivers.

See "The Reivers"---the movie. Easier to get through, and a great John Williams score. One of his best!

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »

My DVR and the hard drive on my DVD recorder (hooked up to cable) will be working overtime tonight since there are at some times four shows on I want to see at the same time. Good gosh! Looks like I'll be watching the NBC supersized shows "live" while recording other shows on different networks. What a traffic jam of quality shows!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 07:45:33 AM »

Thanks, Rodzinski, for reminding me about Heart of Darkness--probably my fave HS reading assignment.  

We had to read both HEART OF DARKNESS and THE SECRET SHARER as they were contained in the same paperback volume. I preferred the latter to the former.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up