Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOTZING  (Read 75081 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:PLOTZING
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »

I think most Faulkner is hard to get through. Damn obtuse Southerners! (As opposed to obscure...as in "Jude"...another Thomas Hardy I avoided.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2006, 07:48:31 AM »

Page 3 dance!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »

they will be interested in anything you have to say.

Thanks, DR Cillaliz. I will keep repeating that to myself!

I'm having breakfast with the professor, so I might be able to get some ideas churning with him.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2006, 08:04:03 AM »

Happy Birthday to Skip

or as Benjamin Kritzer might say

Yppah Yadhtrib ot Piks  ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2006, 08:13:19 AM »

I have some things to do downstairs before I start preparing lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2006, 08:15:28 AM »

Skip just called from Costco, and I recited some of the birthday wishes, all of which he'll read when he gets home.   You guys are wonderful!

MusicGuy - that would be great!  Is Dupar's very far from Universal City?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I can't seem to get more than seven hours of sleep these days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2006, 08:17:25 AM »

I would have put Skip's birthday in Ye Olde Notes if someone had reminded me or put it on our handy-dandy haineshisway.com calendar.  So, a very happy haineshisway.com birthday cheer to our very own Mr. Skip Kennon!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2006, 08:21:26 AM »

Oh happy day to DP Skip!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »

Last night, in commenting about the season premiere of MEDIUM, DR George wrote:

"Not that that matters, but it's nice to see some personal stories every once in a while, except that I didn't care how Scanlon's personal issues were depicted."

I agree. That was a wimpy way out of the situation. However, I hadn't realized until last night what a terrible actress it is playing the assistant mayor. She's easily the worst actress I've seen on a prime time series in a regular role. (I didn't pay much attention to her last season as she was in and out quickly and didn't hook up with Scanlon until late in the season.)

Wonder if she's the wife or girl friend of one of the producers because I can't honestly see how else she could have landed this high profile job as bad as she is.

How funny.  I think she's just fine.  She's exactly the person the assistant mayor is supposed to be, IMO.

Odd how we react to various actresses and actors (so-called...he-he-he..)

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »

DR Ginny, I too loved MADAME BOVARY; thank God I never had to read it as a requirement.  I find I generally like novels better when I discover them for myself or through a recommendation, not through entrapment.

I just finished MEDIUM, which moved me more than I thought, especially since Alison's dead boyfriend drudged up two deceased loves from my 60s and 70s.  It was quite a well written and plotted episode.

DRvixmom, I see your unemployment is making you a fulltime poster.  Thank God!  Good to have you back.

And now, back to the Act One finale!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »

I cannot think of any particular books that were required reading during my school years that I was just wild about. I was never one for fiction novels, aside from mysteries. I preferred to choose my own reading material I guess....whcih of course at that time was Famous Monsters of Filmland! LOL!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:26:54 AM by MBarnum »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2006, 08:24:42 AM »

Ooooh, SCARLET LETTER & BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY were crashing bores!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2006, 08:26:16 AM »

I HATE talking in front of people...

Then don't! Sit down on the edge of the desk, invite the students into your den, and talk with them. They would much prefer you share, rather than lecture.

der Brucer

It helps to have an audience plant that can lob some softball pitches to get you over the rough spots.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:10 AM »

I cannot think of any particular books that were required reading during my school years that I was just wild about. I was never one for fiction novels, aside from mysteries. I preferred to choose my own reading material I guess.

DR MBarnum, I think the last required reading for you was either THE BOBSEY TWINS AT THE FARM or THE VELVETEEN RABBIT!

I also liked Thomas Hardy.  And I liked THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY.  However, Hawthorne's MARBLE FAUN was interminable and I still have nightmares about Fennimore Cooper and Melville. Thank God for Washington Irving and a sense of humor.

However, I am sooooooo not looking forward to O J  Simpson's new book.  Is that moron insane or what?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2006, 08:33:35 AM »

In high school, the reading challenges were sufficient, as I recall.  We read "Huckleberry Finn", "The Scarlet Letter", "Julius Caesar", "The Mill on the Floss" and "Tess of the "D'Urbervilles" in my 10th grade lit class.

I enjoyed them all, especially "The Mill on the Floss" (go figure).  For independent assignments, I took on "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Cry the Beloved Country."

11th and 12th grade English, as I recall, dealt with poetry and grammar and plays.  There may have been novels (and I may be misremembering what grade I was in when I read the titles above).  I also don't recall which grade it was that introduced me to Nathaniel Hawthorne, but for "Evangeline" I am eternally grateful.

My sophomore year in college saw me in a lit class I loved.  My two favorite reads that year were "The Deputy" and "The Sound and the Fury."

As a junior, I read "The Stranger" in French (language and class...quite a challenging read, too!).

Like DR Pogue, I read all the Shakespeare there was, including the sonnets.  And in the second semester of my senior year, I took a class on the analysis of great plays which, to everyone's surprise, had a reading list of 97 plays.  How, we wondered, were we going to read and analyze that many plays in a semester?  The trick was, we would not be meeting in class (i.e., NO analysis at all in terms of discussion and being taught anything).   I managed to read only a handful as I was carrying 21 semester hours in my final semester.  I thought for sure summer school -- or a longterm deferment (due to the draft) -- was in my future.

And yet....things worked out.  There were nine of us in that examination room...all of us under extraordinary pressure, and none of us had been able to read more than a 10th of the titles.

At the end of the three-hour exam, a couple of the ladies were in tears and I was borderline.  The professor (Dr. Evil!!) entered the room and said, "I have an announcement.  I will say this one time and then all bets are off.  If you get up and walk out of this room in the next 60 seconds, I'll give you a 'C' on this exam.  Otherwise, you'll get graded on your answers."

We all made a dash for the door, his words eternally seared into my brain...and Dr. Evil roared with glee.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:39:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »

Yup - I agree. And then I had to read all the rest of Ayn Rand. Even the essays. Enough to turn a person into a Libertarian...

It works, doresn't it!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »

We also read The Fountainhead, which I loved.
 Heart of Darkness was one that I just couldn't get through, I do remember that

How ever can you happily plow through an uber-tome like The Fountainhead and have trouble with a short novella like Heart of Darkness? (Though I can see how you might have problems identifying with Conrad's characters.)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »

Ahh  Moby Dick. I just couldn't get through it. It kept putting me to sleep

Certain books require skipping certain sections:

Moby Dick - skip all chapters on whaling
Atlas Shrugged - skip John Galt's speech
World According to Garp - skip the bear stuff

der Brucer (an Illustrated Classic Comics devotee)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2006, 08:46:20 AM »

Then later, I read Atlas Shrugged, and it totally blew me away.  Much of my outlook on government, personal responsibility, welfare, business and industry, was highly influenced by how my eyes opened while reading this.

But A.S. really is a fantastic book to make the mind think.

Then read it's intellectual companion "The Fountainhead"; because it deals more with art than industry, it should strike a friendly chord.

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2006, 08:47:46 AM »

It helps to have an audience plant that can lob some softball pitches to get you over the rough spots.

Thanks, Der B! You bet your aspidistra that I'll be bringing my philodendron!

Edisaurus

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2006, 08:50:01 AM »

However, I am sooooooo not looking forward to O J  Simpson's new book.  Is that moron insane or what?

I think not, or else he could have pled insanity.

Wait...there IS no Sanity Clause...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2006, 08:50:22 AM »

As I think I've stated to a certain JR 'round these parts, you get everything in The Fountainhead that you'll get in Atlas Shrugged, minus several hundred pages and one interminable speech by John Galt.  :)

Speaking of which, FJL--first of all, b-day wishes to Skip, but one of the ideas for a musical (actually, more of an opera) that director Llew Rhoe and I kicked around was Atlas Shrugged.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2006, 08:56:47 AM »

I just finished MEDIUM, which moved me more than I thought, especially since Alison's dead boyfriend drudged up two deceased loves from my 60s and 70s.  It was quite a well written and plotted episode.

Wow, Methuselah!  You can remember when you were in your 60s and 70s?  

Heck, I'm 58 and I can barely remember last week.

(I know, I know....rhymes with switch)

;D

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:58:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2006, 08:59:16 AM »

As I think I've stated to a certain JR 'round these parts, you get everything in The Fountainhead that you'll get in Atlas Shrugged, minus several hundred pages and one interminable speech by John Galt.  :)

What about blue steel?

Edisaurus

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »

der Brucer (an Illustrated Classic Comics devotee)

And I was a "Classics Illustrated" comics devotee. If I liked the comic, I would read the book. Some of them had great illustrations. This was another collection, like my Creepy and Eerie comics, that were sacrificed on one of our many moves and could now sell on Ebay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »

Thanks, Der B! You bet your aspidistra that I'll be bringing my philodendron!

Aspidistra, eh?

Is one of your favorite words sarsaparilla?

("...sasparilly, anyone?")
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:03:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

It's grey and cold outside today.  And my throat is itchy/scratch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

My evening's TV watching isn't anywhere near as ambitious as DR MattH's.

I have some recording to do, but nothing out of the ordinary.  I avoid NBC & Fox like the plague on Thursday nights!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2006, 09:07:03 AM »

Went out to an Indian restaurant for lunch yesterday.

The Chicken Tikka Masala was superb!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up