Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOTZING  (Read 75091 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PLOTZING
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »

Who is John Galt?

Love the Ayn Rand documentary....and the Showtime movie featuring Helen Mirrin as Ayn and Eric Stoltz as Nathaniel Branden.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »

Dealing with trying to find a replacement - this I do not love.  It's quite the dilemma.  I've auditioned three people - one wasn't the right type but sang well.  One sang well and was more the type but didn't seem to have the "it" factor.  One girl (who Pogue will remember from our Schwab's days) sang fine and seemed to act the part okay but again a kind of lack of "it" - the latter is who I'm thinking seriously about.  I'm trying to audition two more girls tonight as well as re-see two of the above.

And then there's this gal in NY who was recommended to me by Mr. Craig Brockman.  She's very cute and I've already heard her sing the two songs from the show (the joys of the Internet - I sent her the songs, plus the piano tracks, too, and she did a rough recording).  Knowing the recording was down and dirty, there was something I liked about her and her look is terrific - she's also willing to fly in on a moment's notice and do the show.  The problem is, I haven't read her, haven't seen her in person.  I've just sent her a script via e-mail and am going to try and read her tonight via the telephonic device.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to Skip!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2006, 11:23:23 AM »

So many books are coming back to me:

I liked 1984, too.  As I Lay Dying was slow going, but I liked Sanctuary.  

There will  be no new books like The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged - at least not in this market,   But I have confidence in American Writers.  And it is out there.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »

Here's some NEWS!

Starbucks has pulled a coup of sorts....for the first time in any commercial form WHATSOEVER, the original soundtrack to

White Christmas
is available on CD along with the purchase of the DVD of the movie.  And a book is included!

All for the price of $19.99 at Starbucks nationwide apparently.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:25:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:01 AM »

Dealing with trying to find a replacement - this I do not love.  It's quite the dilemma.  I've auditioned three people - one wasn't the right type but sang well.  One sang well and was more the type but didn't seem to have the "it" factor.  One girl (who Pogue will remember from our Schwab's days) sang fine and seemed to act the part okay but again a kind of lack of "it" - the latter is who I'm thinking seriously about.  I'm trying to audition two more girls tonight as well as re-see two of the above.

And then there's this gal in NY who was recommended to me by Mr. Craig Brockman.  She's very cute and I've already heard her sing the two songs from the show (the joys of the Internet - I sent her the songs, plus the piano tracks, too, and she did a rough recording).  Knowing the recording was down and dirty, there was something I liked about her and her look is terrific - she's also willing to fly in on a moment's notice and do the show.  The problem is, I haven't read her, haven't seen her in person.  I've just sent her a script via e-mail and am going to try and read her tonight via the telephonic device.

A "pig in a poke" so to speak.  Diana Darrin can sing, can't she, DR MBARNUM?  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »

Here's some NEWS!

Starbucks has pulled a coup of sorts....for the first time in any commercial form WHATSOEVER, the original soundtrack to

White Christmas

is available on CD along with the purchase of the DVD of the movie.  And a book is included!

All for the price of $19.99 at Starbucks nationwide apparently.

I just saw that ad on TV....hmmmm....I am intrigued.

Today I received FLOWER DRUM SONG, FORBIDDEN PLANET, and the WC cast CD.   8)

Ben

« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »

HMOT (Honorary Member of the Tribe)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »

Here's some NEWS!
White Christmas
is available on CD along with the purchase of the DVD of the movie.  And a book is included!9.99 at Starbucks nationwide apparently.

I saw that yesterday. It looks nice! But now I need to think about presents for other people!  :)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »

A "pig in a poke" so to speak.  Diana Darrin can sing, can't she, DR MBARNUM?  ;D

Was she in the film version of Pig Farm?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:24 AM »

Best of charm the audience vibes for MR BK and for DR EDISAURUS....

We will of course want to hear the most interesting and the dumbest questions you both receive...from said audiences.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »

Our friend, the bartender?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »

Was she in the film version of Pig Farm?   ;D

Reform School Girls.....same thing, really.  :P

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »

LOL! Well, there are both Classics Illustrated as well as Illustrated Classics.
I had the Silas Marner C.I. and in my mind it was always pronounced "Silly-Ass Marner". I loved the comic but never read the book, tho.

I meant the Comics:

(From Wikipedia

Classics Illustrated were comic book adaptations from classic literature, a series that Russian-born Albert Lewis Kanter (1897-1973) began in 1941 for Elliot Publishing. Introduced under the heading Classic Comics, the series started October, 1941, with a 64-page adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers, followed by Ivanhoe and The Count of Monte Cristo. With the fourth issue, The Last of the Mohicans, Kanter began his own Gilberton Publications. The first 12 issues had 64 pages, but wartime paper shortages forced Kanter to reduce each issue to 56 pages. In 1947, after the first 34 issues, Kanter changed the title from Classic Comics to Classics Illustrated, a logo with a high visibiity over the next 15 years because Kanter, unlike other comic book publishers, kept his titles in print, going back to press with occasional reprintings.

In 1948, rising paper costs resulted in a reduction from 56 pages to 48 pages. In addition to the illustrated adaptations, the books featured biographical profiles, educational fillers and house ads (but no outside advertising). This 48-page format continued throughout the run.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »

Our friend, the bartender?

I should have known you would know where to find the girls and the booze.  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:44 AM »

Last night, in commenting about the season premiere of MEDIUM, DR George wrote:

"Not that that matters, but it's nice to see some personal stories every once in a while, except that I didn't care how Scanlon's personal issues were depicted."

I agree. That was a wimpy way out of the situation. However, I hadn't realized until last night what a terrible actress it is playing the assistant mayor. She's easily the worst actress I've seen on a prime time series in a regular role. (I didn't pay much attention to her last season as she was in and out quickly and didn't hook up with Scanlon until late in the season.)

Wonder if she's the wife or girl friend of one of the producers because I can't honestly see how else she could have landed this high profile job as bad as she is.

I totally agree about that actress.  Talk about a lack of "it."  She has absolutely no presence.  I was wondering if maybe she was a real assistant mayor or something like that and won the role in a contest. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2006, 11:29:59 AM »

Loved The Count of Monte Cristo, Beau Geste, Blood and Sand, and The Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.

The last two were part of a four volume Ibanez set of books purchased for 25 cents when I was eleven.  Captain Blood and Scaramouche were also included.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2006, 11:32:57 AM »

DR MATTH - I keep meaning to tell you, since you are discussing the JULIUS CAESAR.....

Marlon Brando wanted to play Marc Antony but didn't have a reputation for playing the classics in Hollywood - so he made a tape recording of himself doing the famous "Friends, Romans, countrymen...." speech, and he sent to producer John Houseman.

Houseman's secretary put the tape on.  He listened for a few minutes and then said:  "Why the hell is June Allyson sending me this tape?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »

Not much interested in Mr OJ's book or interview.

HOWEVER - I could have had the case in the bag from the first day.....if anyone wants to know how, just ask.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »

I saw that yesterday. It looks nice! But now I need to think about presents for other people!  :)

Well I'll buy one for you and you buy one for me....... ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »

Not much interested in Mr OJ's book or interview.

HOWEVER - I could have had the case in the bag from the first day.....if anyone wants to know how, just ask.

witch balls?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2006, 11:51:54 AM »

One star out of five for his "comeback" last night, singing just four lines of "We Are the World."    8)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:55:20 AM by JRand56 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »

Hmmm.....three times trying post of picture of Mr Michael Jackson....it must be the pretzels.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »

DR RON PULLIAM,
Loved your Superman joke.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2006, 12:06:10 PM »

DR MUSIC GUY,
Re: royalty checks and residuals: writers don't get paid much better!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »

DR MUSIC GUY,
Re: royalty checks and residuals: writers don't get paid much better!

Neither do psychics, but they see it not coming.  ;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2006, 12:18:38 PM »

Then don't! Sit down on the edge of the desk, invite the students into your den, and talk with them. They would much prefer you share, rather than lecture.

der Brucer

It helps to have an audience plant that can lob some softball pitches to get you over the rough spots.

Concur!! Sitting on the edge of the desk is one of my old tricks. I had an instructor who did it and it just made me feel relaxed, so I adopted it. It makes me feel more relaxed in front of an audience, and I believe it works for many students as well.

I've never had the luxury of an audience plant, however. Great idea, though.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2006, 12:20:37 PM »

Neither do psychics, but they see it not coming.  ;D

Very good!

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »

And after all this reserach you have concluded...?

Ok, in a nutshell, do I think he did it?  Yes. I wouldn't have admitted that at the time, but I have always thought that.

Do I also think that the LAPD planted evidence and in essence tried to frame a guilty man? I think that's entirely possible, too.

The trial - the trial fascinated me, probably more from a criminal defense perspective than anything.  There were so many fundamental errors made by the lawyers, especially the prosecution.   I think the defense lawyers, especially Johnnie Cochran were pros at baiting the prosecutors and they continually fell for it to their detriment.

Mistake #1 - Marcia Clark thought that black female jurors liked her even though their experts and a mock jury said otherwise. Hello, she should have had an inkling that the police weren't held in the highest esteem in that community and that Johnnie Cochran had been a trailblazer in the area of misconduct by the LAPD involving the African American community.  

Mistake #2 - The prosecution didn't need to call Mark Fuhrman. They could have made their case without him.  The defense threatened to call him....fine, let them.  The impeachment of your own witness never carries as much weight as the impeachment of the other side's witness. The "n" word was an issue that never needed to be introduced into the trial. They allowed it to happen by putting him on the stand.

Mistake #3 - The glove. For goodness sake, this was another Cochran telling Darden..."if you don't do it we will" so Darden did it without even knowing what would happen.  Logic tells you if you get leather wet - with blood or water or something -it will shrink when it dries. Add to that a latex glove and there is no way it would fit, especially if it was fairly tight to begin with. If the defense had him try it on, the prosecution can laugh and explain all the reasons it won't fit.  When the prosecution has him try it on...they are stuck with the results.

Mistake #4 - I don't think the prosecutors were ready for someone like Barry Scheck who is a DNA expert himself and who works tirelessly.  He spent endless hours pouring through everything time and time again and that allowed him to find the photo with the blood spot missing from the gate. I don't think the scientific evidence ever recovered from "What about THAT, Mr. Fung?" (my favorite line from the trial). There was never a good explanation from the government for why there was blood in one photo and not another. It played right into the planting of evidence theory, something those who know LAPD, know they have done before.

I really do believe the prosecutors lost the case. Johnnie Cochran's finesse and Barry Sheck's hard work and incredible knowledge of DNA helped considerably.  But I think the prosecutors thought there was no way they could lose this, got over confident, made stupid mistakes and couldn't recover from them. It really does irritate me that you can lose the "trial of the century" through your own stupidity and then make millions selling a book about it..... but that's my issue and I bought a copy so I should shut up about it.

It doesn't bother me that he won.  If you think about the literally hundreds of people who have been wrongly convicted, the one that got away isn't such a big deal. "It's better to have one hundred guilty men go free than to wrongly convict one" (or something like that) And, if the police and prosecutors aren't held to a high standard by jurors and the community, there will be more wrongful convictions...so that's my 2 cents

Now, aren't you glad you asked  ;)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:53:35 PM by Cillaliz »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up