Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOTZING  (Read 75085 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PLOTZING
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2006, 02:54:51 PM »

Unfortuantely, the Starbucks site isn't forthcoming with the particulars on the CD soundtrack to "White Christmas" -- but other internet searches reveal universal disappointment that it's just a reissue of an old Decca recording.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »

...and the characters are so nerdy/endearing.

Will they find a boy-friend for Zach?

That's Eric Millegan as Harold in the musical "Harold and Maude".

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2006, 03:04:48 PM »

I think tonight I will lay out one of Donna's numbers in the original keys in case the new actress prefers it up a half step.  It will be a very quiet evening, I think.  The rains are on the way, although the weather outside is not as boisterous as it was two hours ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2006, 03:18:14 PM »

Here's some NEWS!

Starbucks has pulled a coup of sorts....for the first time in any commercial form WHATSOEVER, the original soundtrack to

White Christmas
is available on CD along with the purchase of the DVD of the movie.  And a book is included!

All for the price of $19.99 at Starbucks nationwide apparently.

Except it's not the soundtrack. It's that rerecording of the songs with Peggy Lee subbing for Rosie Clooney and different arrangements for most of the numbers.

I searched for that on LP for years and years and finally found it. I thought at worst it'd be like the NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS with real soundtrack cuts except in WHITE CHRISTMAS for the Clooney numbers with Peggy's vocals over the same tracks as Rosie's. Nope, a tremendous disappointment.

Now you tell me. ::) At lunch, I went to the local Tumwater Starbucks and bought it.  I've never owned the movie, so I'm glad that I got it, but you'd think that the Starbucks/TCM people would be more honest about what's on the CD.  And the "book" is a 12-page "viewing guide" that has some holiday movie suggestions, bios for the four leads of the movie, two very simple drink recipies, a few finger food recipies and bunch of trivia questions.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2006, 03:42:51 PM »

Except it's not the soundtrack. It's that rerecording of the songs with Peggy Lee subbing for Rosie Clooney and different arrangements for most of the numbers.

I searched for that on LP for years and years and finally found it. I thought at worst it'd be like the NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS with real soundtrack cuts except in WHITE CHRISTMAS for the Clooney numbers with Peggy's vocals over the same tracks as Rosie's. Nope, a tremendous disappointment.Now you tell me. ::) At lunch, I went to the local Tumwater Starbucks and bought it.  I've never owned the movie, so I'm glad that I got it, but you'd think that the Starbucks/TCM people would be more honest about what's on the CD.  And the "book" is a 12-page "viewing guide" that has some holiday movie suggestions, bios for the four leads of the movie, two very simple drink recipies, a few finger food recipies and bunch of trivia questions.

You could give it to someone as a holiday offering, George!

I probably won't even open the one I ordered online!

Some poor soul on the east coast will, unexpectedly I'm sure, find it in the mail delivery some mid-December day.

Oh, well....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:43:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[size=24]HAPPY BIRTHDAY,[/size]
[/color][/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[size=24]DP SKIP![/size]
[/color][/move]

AND THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL FRED WITH US!
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

Wow!  I just finished "Independence Day."  I'm down now to Alet's big number, the two for Donna, and the two duets for the leads, one of which is one of the loveliest things ever.  The other duet, which I also like, uses a bit of a "Bus & Truck" song, which I love in its original form, but until BK and David actually write "Bus & Truck" as a sort of American version of THE GOOD COMPANIONS, "I Hate You" will become BK's "I'm In Pursuit of Happiness."

Interesting and intriguing.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2006, 03:47:24 PM »

I totally agree about that actress.  Talk about a lack of "it."  She has absolutely no presence.  I was wondering if maybe she was a real assistant mayor or something like that and won the role in a contest. ::)

Et tu, George?  Et tu....?

Oy!

:-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2006, 03:48:23 PM »

So it's the Decca "soundtrack" with Clooney's Columbia tracks?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

Still - who sings "The Best Things Happen When you Dance?"

I love the photos in the WC Cast Album I got today.  Bravo to the Costume Designer!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »

Good morning DRs one and all ( I know..... and all and one!)

DR Laura....do you know yet what your travel plans are going to be, going and returning to and from L.A. for the Dec. 8, 9, 10 weekend.  ??

Hi DR FJL.... I have you and Skip on the "breakfast list," and it is very possible that we could swing by the Sheraton Universal and give you a ride....

... And after that, breakfast?
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2006, 04:13:19 PM »

True story about reading books for high school.

I was managing a Blockbuster store and all of a sudden there a great demand for the Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore. It turns out that they had to read the book, do a review and answer questions about it. Every person who rented the film (and I know this by their complaints) failed because instead of reading the book and watching the film they only watch the film. The people who rented the film only talked about the story's happy ending which only happened in the film and not in the novel. They complained to me that the film got it wrong and I told them they should have read the book because movies always change things. Then they said you should have said something. I said You never asked and it wasn't my place to tell you that,:
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2006, 04:15:18 PM »

Nope.  She's nowhere to be heard on this CD that come with the DVD from Starbucks.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:15 PM »

I've been searching for my "White Christmas". I forgot it was in the box with my red garters!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:25 PM »

You could give it to someone as a holiday offering, George!

No, I'll keep it.  Like the movie, I've never owned this recording, so there's no reason to get rid of it.  And if the actual movie soundtrack doesn't have too much (any?) dialogue over the songs, I can always make my own CD of the songs with Rosemary. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

Dealing with trying to find a replacement - this I do not love.  It's quite the dilemma.  I've auditioned three people - one wasn't the right type but sang well.  One sang well and was more the type but didn't seem to have the "it" factor.  One girl (who Pogue will remember from our Schwab's days) sang fine and seemed to act the part okay but again a kind of lack of "it" - the latter is who I'm thinking seriously about.  I'm trying to audition two more girls tonight as well as re-see two of the above.

And then there's this gal in NY who was recommended to me by Mr. Craig Brockman.  She's very cute and I've already heard her sing the two songs from the show (the joys of the Internet - I sent her the songs, plus the piano tracks, too, and she did a rough recording).  Knowing the recording was down and dirty, there was something I liked about her and her look is terrific - she's also willing to fly in on a moment's notice and do the show.  The problem is, I haven't read her, haven't seen her in person.  I've just sent her a script via e-mail and am going to try and read her tonight via the telephonic device.

What about Jessica Skerritt?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »

Was there any indication of Clooney tracks?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »

Brian Stokes Mitchell is on JEOPARDY tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2006, 04:38:29 PM »

Well the Decca "soundtrack" had Peggy Lee or someone, but Rosemary released a lot of the songs on a Columbia album....I thought I read that these were included....or maybe it said that on TCM.

I am confused.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »

I've been searching for my "White Christmas". I forgot it was in the box with my red garters!

With a dime and a dollar?  ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2006, 04:42:17 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKIP!!![/size] :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2006, 04:45:52 PM »

LOL JRAND.  You're a brave man.  Oz mail should arrive in the next day or so!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »

Brian Stokes Mitchell is on JEOPARDY tonight!

So is Drew Lachey.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2006, 04:47:58 PM »

Watched the extras on Forbidden Planet and Flower Drum Song.

Very nice to see Pat Suzuki, Nancy Kwan (who claims to "sing" in the movie, but maybe it's set straight in the commentary), and Patrick Adiarte who looks like DR JOSE'S much older brother.  I will watch with commentary next week sometime.  And if you didn't get enough of the sets, you can always watch BACK STREET which re-uses several of them.  It always amazes me how much the Sharraff-designed "Sunday Sweet Sunday" is staged and costumed like A Star is Born's "Born in a Trunk" agent sequence.....also designed by Irene Sharaff.  What is it with her and the cinched waistline but dropped waist on the dress....ugh.

Planet had some nice extras....deleted scenes, interviews (sort of) with Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens, and BK's neighbor Earl Holliman, among others.  Especially liked the Robby the Robot feature, and the episode of The Thin Man!  Haven't watched either feature, but I will do so next week.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »

LOL JRAND.  You're a brave man.  Oz mail should arrive in the next day or so!

Woooooohoooooooooo.....quite an accomplishment since I can't seem to get an envelope from Indiana to NYC.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »

So is Drew Lachey.

Why yes, he is.  :o

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

Not much interested in Mr OJ's book or interview.

HOWEVER - I could have had the case in the bag from the first day.....if anyone wants to know how, just ask.

Don't you find it rather frightening, that twelve years after the fact, he can still get the whole country talking about him?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

I must admit that I am tempted to shell out the bucks to see DANCING WITH THE STARS tour in Seattle on December 22.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2006, 05:02:45 PM »

Yes DR TCB...frightening and shocking.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2006, 05:03:11 PM »

I must admit that I am tempted to shell out the bucks to see DANCING WITH THE STARS tour in Seattle on December 22.

Do you get to vote on the performances?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up