Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD  (Read 99088 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:51:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were full steam ahead, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - there, I've said it and I'm glad.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:20:57 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:53:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: SIMULACRUM!

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:01:54 AM »

1st page-it doesn't matter-but I'm excited anyway-happiness!
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:02:51 AM »

*scampers off to www.dictionary.com*

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:05:54 AM »

Oh, that's what it means.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 02:47:28 AM »

TOTD: Songs Of New York (Book-of-the Month records)
           DVD - Season one episodes of "Spooks" aka
                     MI5.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 02:49:54 AM »

I think a Mr Simulacrum was "Keyboard #3 for "Lestat".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 04:22:05 AM »

Wow I forgot it was Friday.  Don't have any DVD planned. I have however been playing the video game NIBIRU. Interesting game. puzzle solving type. Graphics not the best. Example: A character standing in a rainstorm and not even getting wet.

CD in car: at the moment the original cast of Company
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:41:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: SIMULACRUM!
Casey would have waltzed
With the strawberry blonde,
But her heart wasn't in it that night
And the result was a mere SIMULACRUM of what a waltz should be.
You could say, she was just going through the steps.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 04:48:37 AM »

OK, I'm up, I'm up!

Jeez, it's my day off, and I'm still up this early.  Bleh.

There's a reason for my being up, though.  Fletcher, our Dalmatian pony (der B's term, because he's that large) had an epileptic fit, falling off of der B's bed and lodging himself between the bed and the bookcase, which probably helped keep him from hurting himself.

It's been quite a while since Fletcher had his last fit, that we know of.  For some reason, the synapses (synapsi?) in his brain fritzed, and he spent about five minutes de-frying.

He's fine now, and was very grateful for our attention, washing der B's face, my face, and the faces of the four other doggies, all of whom had crowded around in concern.

It's just that it's hard to get back to sleep after something like that.

Hard for me, that is.  Fletcher is right beside me as I type, content in his own doggy dreamland.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 05:04:38 AM »

Good morning, good day!  A work day for me.  Oh well.

I think we used to do a football cheer that had  Simulacrum as part of it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 05:05:19 AM »

Vibes for Fletcher & friends.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:27 AM »

TOD:

CD - White Christmas cast album

DVD - FORBIDDEN PLANET & FLOWER DRUM SONG

VCR:  Nada

DR EDISAURUS I am appalled - APPALLED - that you are unable to watch AVENTURERA!!!  I can only say that the wait will be worth it.....  And continue to imagine Ninon Sevilla dragged upstairs by her hair, while wearing a lovely sequined dress....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:44 AM »

Best choice replacement vibes for Mr BK and the BRAIN.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 05:12:09 AM »

TOD

DVDs -

We've got a whole pile of DVDs through which we're working our way.  For example, der B watched some of the bonus material that came with The DaVinci Code last night, before we settled in for Ugly Betty.

Myself, I've started running through the sixteenth season boxed set of Doctor Who, the season Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor and Mary Tamm's Romana spent chasing around the galaxy in pursuit of the Key to Time.  I enjoyed the first story, The Ribos Operation, much more than I did when I saw it on PBS years ago.  I've now started on Douglas Adams' The Pirate Planet.  And it's particularly fun to watch the serials chapter by chapter, as they were intended to be watched, rather than as "movies" running everything together the way PBS showed them years ago.

BOOKS -

I've completed the first section of Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, a screamingly funny portrait of industrial food.  Screamingly, because it's both funny and scary at the same time.  Who knew that so much of our processed food came from corn?  Even vegetarians aren't exempt, if they're eating anything that's been manufactured.  If you get a meal from McDonald's and eat it in your car, you're eating corn.  The burger?  Corn-fed beef (cows don't naturally eat corn, they eat grass).  The McNuggets?  Corn-fed chickens, which are then chopped up and processed, held together with corn products to make up the nuggets.  The soda you drink to wash it all down?  The second ingredient in the soda, after carbonated water, is High Fructose Corn Syrup, sweeter and cheaper than sugar... particularly after the tariffs imposed on the sugar industry by the corn lobby.  Opt for a salad?  The Newman's Own Salad Dressing contains still more HFCS, along with "corn syrup, corn starch, dextrin, caramel color, and xantham gum," all of which come from processed corn.  Even the fries, which you would think are mostly potatoes, get half their calories from corn oil.  Even the car you drive in, while eating all this McProcessed food, is run in part on corn, because of the federally mandated inclusion of ethanol - a mandate that was supported by the corn lobby, of course.  (And ethanol creates more pollution than ordinary gas, too!)

I can't wait to find out how Pollan tears apart organically grown food.  Didn't we just go through a scare about organically grown spinach?

I regularly prop whatever I'm reading next to my cash register at work.  The Ominvore's Dilemma has been getting more comments than any other book since I started at Super G a year and a half ago, at the rate of two or three customers asking/commenting per day.  I don't think it's just because of it's striking cover, either, because several of the customers have mentioned Pollan's previous tome, The Botany of Desire, as an interesting read.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 05:14:12 AM »

Vibes for Fletcher & friends.
Thank-you.

He's gone back to cuddle with der B.  He's fine now, the fit is something in the past and he's over it.

He'll be surfing the kitchen counters again in no time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 05:26:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have some BABES work tday, so I think this morning I'll take a break from The Brain for a bit to work on some lyric and libretto checks.  Then I will return to The Brain, probably working on the 2nd act tap number.  I'm holding off on the ingenue's numbers until the new actress and her keys are settled.

TOD:  I'm too involved with The Brain at the moment for much except an occasional CD, but I've been listening to the following:
   WHITE CHRISTMAS (new cast album)
   LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (original cast)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 05:29:12 AM »

As long as I've mentioned Doctor Who, der B has set an interesting task for me - select which stories I really want, which are on a really good sale over at either Amazon or one of the other sites.

I know I want "The Beginning Collection," which contains the first three stories ever broadcast, back around the time Kennedy was assassinated.  And definitely Tomb of the Cybermen, one of the few stories featuring the second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) that wasn't destroyed when some fool at the BBC decided to clean out the vaults.

Beyond that, just saying "I want them all" is just being greedy.  Sure, I want them all, but I also want to set some priorities.  And keeping expenses down is also important, so watching for discounts is key.  (Sorry, Jon Pertwee fans, this knocks Inferno out of the running.)

I guess it's time to set up a spreadsheet, so der B can go over the selections.

It's very nice to have someone watching over my spending.  (And I also thank him very much for the Christmas Present of Edward Scissorhands, the Ballet, come January.  Philly is a wonderful, interesting town, and we should have a great day together.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 05:32:13 AM »

Good morning, Larry!

Since you're listening to Little Shop (obviously for Brain ideas, crafty devil), what do you think of the other two versions of the score, the Soundtrack and the Revival?

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »

Good Morning all!

Today's topic:
DVD:  KING KONG Extended Edition Disc Three is in the player, with all of its bonus material (of course there are also bonus features on the other two discs, some of which I took in last night).
THE DA VINCI CODE Disc Two - and I, too, took in the bonus features last night and particularly enjoyed seeing Dan Brown talking about the book, the film and other projects.
RECENTLY (within the past week) WATCHED:
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962) which I enjoyed tremendously
REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE - ditto.  Fascinating film and fascinating of Warner to present the dvd with amber wash not seen since 1967.
FLOWER DRUM SONG - all I can say is that I'm so glad this is finally available and that it looks and sounds as great as it does.

CD PLAYER:
(CAR):  DREAMGIRLS, both OBC and Concert; now, if they'd only get around to that release of the film's soundtrack. . .
(HOME):  A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION soundtrack
COOL YULE - Bette Midler
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST soundtrack
WALK ON BY - The Best of Dionne Warwick
and Dionne's duets album. . .

ON THE COMPUTER - I keep going to Kritzerland.com and listening to Alice & Emily's tracks from the concert. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 05:52:20 AM »

Did we hear the final decision on Dance Break or Dancing While Singing?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 05:52:49 AM »

I have to wear my heavy jacket for the first time this year.

Mercury Retrograde ends today!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 05:58:38 AM »

Off to work.  Heigh ho

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »

Good morning, Larry!

Since you're listening to Little Shop (obviously for Brain ideas, crafty devil), what do you think of the other two versions of the score, the Soundtrack and the Revival?

DR SWW, I loved the film but it's not the show:  I miss the original ending, which I luckily have on the suppressed DVD.  The arrangements by Robby Merkin sound very simiar to the show's but there may be more instruments.  The revival has a big problem for me: Kerry Butler whose adenoidal nasal song stylings make me appreciate the paint-peeling stridency of Betty Buckley all the more.

I knew Jennifer Leigh Warren who was one of the three doo-wap ladies, and I saw the original cast.  I love this recording.  I generally prefer the original casts because - unlike most revivals - the original creators are around and they usually know more about their show than a lot of the folk rewriting/revising them.  That wasn't necessarily the case with LSOH but Ms Butler is a problem for me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:55:55 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »

Hey, DR MattH, do you know why VANISHED is not on tonight?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »

Good morning!

Bright but cold here this morning and likely to remain so (and even colder ) in the days ahead. At least, there's no rain or tornados in our forecast!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 07:27:44 AM »

Hey, DR MattH, do you know why VANISHED is not on tonight?

Due to low ratings (less than 3 million watched it last Friday, less than half of who watched it on Mondays when it was there), Fox has pulled it for the remainder of sweeps. They may run the remaining episodes starting in December, but for all intents and purposes, it's been canceled.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - GOLDILOCKS (OCR)

DVD - CSI: NY (last disc in set)
          REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE
          CSI: MIAMI - Season 4, disc 1

DVR - last night's CSI
          last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's UGLY BETTY
          last night's SUPERNATURAL

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 07:31:12 AM »

A reminder to fans of MONK:

There is a new episode (Christmas themed no less) on tonight. It features Dan Hedeya as Monk's estranged father. Should be fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:25 AM »

At some point this weekend, I want to go back to the CARS DVD and watch the two included Pixar shorts (one Oscar nominated and one based on a character from the movie) along with the preview of Pixar's next film coming next summer. I skipped all of these things when I played the disc last SUnday.

I also want to put in disc 2 of FLOWER DRUM SONG to watch the special features on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up