Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING  (Read 20682 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING
« on: December 24, 2003, 12:04:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know how I am villed with vague ennui, you know I've been stirring, you know what my true love sent me and you know the topic of the day, so what in tarnation are you waiting for?  Let's get some festive and jolly postin' goin' on, shall we?

« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 12:04:14 AM by bk »

Ben

Re:NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 01:04:19 AM »

Oh, my, being overseas does have benefits. I do believe I'm the first post since the changeover.

It's 9am in London on Christmas Eve. Chitty is calling and then Harrods.

Later gaters.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 01:09:46 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, I saw the question yesterday about our flat. Here's the answer. We are in Kensington, right on the border of Earls Court. Our tube stop is actually Earls Court so we are conviently located. It's a nice little studio with a fridge, a cooker (the British term for the stove and oven) and utensils. The shower could use some help, but then the British do prefer a bath over a brisk morning shower. Oh, well. We're very happy with our accomodations and the owner of the establishment.

TTFN

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 04:30:13 AM »

Merry Christmas Eve Day!   ;D

Working today - and attending Mr BK'S party tonight via the internet!  What fun it will be!

My question for ASK BK day:

Are there any movies based on books that you think actually improve on the original material?

Here she is, boys, here's Gale!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 04:44:24 AM »

My question for BK:

Do you have any plans to workshop the stage version of the First Nudie Musical at Lehman Engel Musical Theater Workshop or ASCAP or any similar one?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 04:45:29 AM »

Another one:

Have you every written a Christmas or Hanukah song that has been performed in a show or sung in cabaret act of some kind?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »

Van Cliburn will be given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2004 Grammy Awards Presentation!

And I guess you had to be there.  I was 7 years old when he won the first International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition - held in Russia!  

It was 1958!  The Russians had Sputnik and we were scared of all those Commies - but an American boy from Texas went over there and showed them how to play the piano.

It was a stunning victory!  And I still have my Extended 45 RPM record of Van Cliburn playing Tchaik's First Piano Concerto in B Flat Minor.  I think I may have gotten it for Christmas!

He came home a hero!  Was any other classical pianist EVER given a ticker tape parade in NYC?  Yup, I guess you had to be there!   But for awhile Van Cliburn was the hero of millions of American kids!  ;D

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 06:17:41 AM »

Ms. Storm (also known as Ms. Albright and Ms. Pomeroy)---

What do I do with the cage after I build it?  Do I put the cats in it when they decide not to use the litter box (something that usually happens when there is all clean litter in it)?

Do I put the dog in it to keep her from sniffing all her gifts under the tree?

Do I put Ray in it to keep him from trying to figure out what his gifts are?

Do I hide in it myself to avoid more holiday stress?

Love to Freddie and Nudgie
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 06:24:42 AM »

LOL DR WEL!

Don't forget Captain Huxley!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I think those are all good uses for a cage.  But don't forget Olivia deHavilland could use it as well!  And this is not to mention Eleanor Parker and Hope Emerson!

Diane

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 07:07:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE![/move]

Just about finsihed reading Benjamin Kritzer and I'm loving it!  Bravo BK!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 07:08:06 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 07:08:59 AM »

Good morning esteemed BK and all the DRs who are up and about early.....

Just a quick wish for you all, that you have a wonder "Christmas eve" day, and travel about your cities safely.

We have a quiet dinner here at home with Kerry and I, my mom, and a close friend of our's who is part of our extended family.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 07:29:54 AM »

Good Morning!

Season's Greetings!

I can't believe I've been "stirring" so early today.  Well, early for me.  Steve called me up, and asked if I would like to come over for breakfast before we head out to brave the malls and stores - with the rest of the last minute shoppers.  So, I got up, showered, and hied on over to his apartment, ate breakfast, and now I'm using his nice, high-speed, internet connection to post here on HHW!

-Breakfast consisted of french toast made with a cinnamon-swirl challah bread, and thick cut pepper bacon.  Yum!  -I probably should have stopped at two slices of french toast, but the third was still quite dee-lish!

I don't have any questions right now... Oh, maybe just one...

BK: Are there any more cookies left?  Did I need to same-day messenger some more?  With the time difference working in your favor, it is possible.  ;)

Well, it's about time to head on out to the fashionable West End of Richmond.  I'll be back.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 07:33:42 AM »

-Oh, and on a serious note - if I may...

Driving into the theatre last night was OK, except for the flashing signs at the 14th Street Bridge.  The DC government put up these nice new signs on the bridges in DC - the type that can show different messages.  Well, they've been using them for traffic alerts, buckle-up reminders, etc.  Last night, however, it was flashing the new, higher terror alert.  Welcome to DC!  I guess it's good to be informed, but it did unsettle me for a few moments.

Peace. Love. Happiness. Peace.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 07:47:54 AM »

yes we are under an Orange Alert...but we shall have celebrations and fun nevertheless....

Try to think of it as art!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 07:49:47 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 07:54:15 AM »

Jrand: I'm sure there are some pulp novels where the movie improved on the book, like Kiss Me, Deadly, but those occurances are few and far between.  Touch of Evil is another, and I think Psycho would be another.

If it were up to me, I would do a big reading of Nudie and maybe, if necessary, one workshop, but I really abhor the workshop process for the most part.  If I had my druthers, I'd have it play a couple of cities prior to coming in.  Speaking of Mr. Lehman Engel, did you know I was in the second ASCAP workshop in 1969?  I would love to remember who else was there with me, but I just can't.

Jose: Plenty of cookies left - I took one batch to work and they were a huge success.

Diane: Glad you're liking it!  Post about it when you're done.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 08:03:51 AM »

BK---

I found the following in today's Liz Smith column.  It might help explain the gifts your true love has been sending:

1. A Partridge in a Pear Tree is the one true God
2. Two Turtle Doves represent the Old and New Testament
3. Three French Hens are Faith, Hope and Charity
4. Four Calling Birds are the four gospels
5. Five Golden rings signify the Books of Moses
6. Six Geese a-Laying are the Days of Creation
7. Seven Swans a-Swimming are the gifts of the Holy Spirit
8. Eight Maids a-Milking are the Beatitudes
9. Nine Ladies Dancing are the Fruits of the Spirit
10. Ten Lords a-Leaping mean the Commandments
11. Eleven Pipers Piping represent the Faithful Apostles
12. Twelve Drummers Drumming hail the Apostles' Creed.

Doesn't your true love know you are Jewish?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2003, 08:06:45 AM »

DR Panni - where are you driving today?

You need a new Edsel!  Check out this nifty 1959 model!

Ah yes MR BK, I agree with PSYCHO and KISS ME, DEADLY!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 08:12:51 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2003, 08:14:29 AM »

My true love is kaput, done, finito, adios muchacha, gone.

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was the day before Christmas.  My kitchen smells of foodstuffs.  Off to work shortly where I will be posting often, as I'm just organizing footage - I was supposed to do that yesterday but a) one of my editors didn't show up, and b) I was asked to complete doing the notes for show one (there were just a few).

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2003, 08:15:13 AM »

Hey Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

I have some Christmas smilies to share.

But first tv reminders:

For anyone interested World Idol is on Dec 25th from 8pm to 10pm EST.  This is one of the only shows that EVERYONE who posts here should be able to watch.

I think it should be interesting to see Simon Cowell and Canada's judge Zach Werner critique the contestants.

One interesting thing is every country will show their own version. So if we here in Canada watch Fox we should get a completely different show than if we watch on CTV (the Canadian station). Of course I will probably watch them both.

On Friday night dec 26th is the Kennedy Center Honors which always has lots of theatre stuff.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2003, 08:17:41 AM »

Here are my smilies:

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2003, 08:19:37 AM »

Here is my ask BK question: What will you be preparing for your party?  And are you cooking everything? (for some reason I cannot see you cooking everything!).

But all this talk of food is making me hungry.I cannot wait for X-mas eve dinner tonight. And presents!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2003, 08:24:17 AM »

I am indeed cooking everything, but it's only two things - a huge batch of my special spaghetti with my special sauce, and my famous tuna pasta salad.  And lots of little dessert treats that I did not cook.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2003, 08:28:18 AM »

DR WEL, DR Michael Shayne posted those "12 Days " references several days ago, but a refresher is always welcome.

For Ask BK Day:  We need a studio recording of SOMETHING'S AFOOT. To my knowledge, it's never been done, and I'm sure you could round up a terrific cast. Would you be interested?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2003, 08:29:05 AM »

DR Ron, I see you logged in. Merry Christmas!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2003, 08:32:39 AM »

Merry Christmas to one and all and all and one!

My visit in South Carolina is going very well.  We've shopped and seen sights and gone hither, thither and yon...we've visited, we've laughed, we've been hysterical, and we have been quiet and introspective.

Yes, I think we've done everything but cry.  There will be no crying, though.  I hope.

I've eaten very well...and mostly nutritionally...but despite my protests, there have been way too many sweets, too many pies, too many cakes, too many candies.  And what do you think?  There is black walnut fudge cooling in the kitchen; there are sweet potato pies in the baking!  S-i-g-h!  

The pond, which is about 20 feet outside the back door, is mostly calm with only a slight ripple on the surface (it's a flowing body of water, rather than a still one).  The sky is overcast.  We had rain last night, but the 50ish weather is supposed to turn cold tonight, and I can hardly wait as I love the briskness of cold weather.

I hope BK's party is fun and festive and becomes the talk of the town.  I hope all of your festivities are fun and festive and the talks of your respective towns.

I do hope no one does anything unseemly that makes him or her the "talk of the town", though.   I visit here once a year and I already know where many of the skeletons rest in which closets and it's not a pretty sight, not by a long shot.  Yes, it's a small town and it's a "Peyton Place" where everyone knows everyone else's business.  Even those who "keep to themselves" are suspicious and subject to discussion on a recurring basis.  I feel eyes and telescopes and binoculars focused on me at all times.  When it gets intense, I sing and dance and do a little commercial for myself.  That shows 'em that I don't care one whit!

Right.

I'll rejoin all y'all on a more regular basis just before the start of the new year.

Happy "Happy", everyone!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]Ho! Ho! Ho![/size][/move]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 08:45:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2003, 08:33:20 AM »

DRMATT how is your tree doing?  What is the best comment you have had on it when people see it?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2003, 08:38:22 AM »

DRMattH:  Thank you for your greeting.  I DO look forward to getting back to having a chat with you.  I'm glad you enjoyed LOTR:TROTK.  It is actually playing in Aiken SC in a multiplex, but I don't want to see it unless it's on a large screen in DTS sound!  If I'm going to go through the "theater-going" experience, it has to offer all the bells and whistles!

I brought a huge selection of CDs with me, but it's "Wicked" that stays in my player.  "I'm Not That Girl" is simply wonderful...I thought it beautiful when I first heard it last May and it grows more beautiful with each listen.  Come Dec. 30th, I shall "Defy Gravity" and fly back to California!

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2003, 08:40:48 AM »

Question for BK:

As I am still on a Bollywood kick (for which you are responsible) I would like to know if you have watched any other Bollywood films besides GUMNAAM. If so what were they and what did you think of them?

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2003, 08:51:49 AM »

My friend John was out with his kids this morning and brought me some doughnuts on his way back home. He hadn't seen the tree, so he came in and brought his two kids (age 6 and 4), and they couldn't keep their hands off the WIZARD OF OZ ornaments. They wanted to take them home and put them on their tree. I guess that's the best reaction I've had to the tree: a little child will lead the way!  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2003, 08:55:23 AM »

Speaking of Van Cliburn, I believe he was the first classical recording artist to ever sell a million copies of an LP. Seems like I remember reading that somewhere. And he was some kind of gorgeous to look at, too!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up