Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BURNT RUBBER  (Read 22785 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BURNT RUBBER
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I guess I just am not going to be able to sleep in until after 12/16.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »

Let's say there IS the smell of burnt rubber, just for the sake of argument - are there any suppositions as to where it might be coming from?

FJL

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 08:24:11 AM »

Why am I suddenly thinking of the famed "Rubber Balloons" sequences from SUGAR BABIES?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 08:29:21 AM »

Franceaux

Ther can only be the one: the real, the true, the François!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »

Burnt rubber---faulty wiring in your home environment? It would definitely be worth investigating, even if it's just bringing a few more noses into the fray.

Speaking of fray, it's back to cleaning and painting and raking, oh my!

DR Cillaliz, I feel your pain!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 08:36:34 AM »

Let's say there IS the smell of burnt rubber, just for the sake of argument - are there any suppositions as to where it might be coming from?

Does it smell like burnt rubber outside?  Could it be a neighbor having roof work done?

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

I took a hot bath about 8:30 PM and was asleep by 9:00 or 9:30 PM. I didn't wake up until 9:30 AM. I'm feeling much better.  My goal today is to move the remaining boxes that have been stored in the dining room downstairs to the basement.  So, I think I'll go get ready for my day and get started. If I get going, I can get it all done by noon and then I can actually relax for awhile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 08:40:33 AM »

I'll look around and see if anyone is doing roof work.  I had to have some done two years ago, but I don't see why that would be an issue now, and I don't even think that the work done involved tar.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »

Oh, over Thanksgiving I didn't get the one dish I love the most....my grandmother's recipe for scalloped oysters.  So I made a batch yesterday. I do love them.  There is a lot of it left so I'll be eating that today.    

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »

I'll look around and see if anyone is doing roof work.  I had to have some done two years ago, but I don't see why that would be an issue now, and I don't even think that the work done involved tar.

Sometimes they put rubber on flat roofs instead of tar.  Probably not the source, but I've been smelling that in my neighborhood and that was the source here

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »

Cil! Wow, you slept a nice long time! It should happen to me!

Saw Tom's bird pix - love them birds! Miss mine, up at the cabin...

Okay - So, I finished BOTH papers last night - I had decided not to write anything too worthy, just get something vaguely like what was assigned down on paper, edit, and call it good. Since I'm not in this for the GPA, or even for a degree now, just complete the courses this week, take the finals next week, and get on with LIFE. Something in me rejected the idea of just bagging it all, take the two weeks off and not even go to class... couldn't do it. Still gotta at least PASS these courses, before calling it a day.

I'll need 40% on the final to pass Logic; the rest of them I actually COULD stay home and still pass. So studying for the exams is not necessary - which is a good thing, because I have my marathon weekend from Friday at 6 until Sunday at 8, and a first final Monday morning... and the week after that, I have to pack up and move outa this here condo, and into my sister's place. Not much to move - some boxes of dishes and kitchen stuff, towels and sheets, musical instruments (guitar and keyboard) and boxes of music, two beds, and my clothes and personal stuff. And that will be that.

I hope the sun will come out today. Maybe I'll take a walk, before launching into the wads o' reading and homework I have for next weekend... hangin' on, hangin' on...
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

Musically Speaking act one of Dreamgirls seems to be intact with the addition of three songs. Act two seems to be changed more than act one however what seems to be 5 new songs. Perhaps putting more of the spotlight on Beyonce.

Songs in bold are new for the film

From the soundtack listing (Disk 1 [Act One])
Disc: 1  
1. I'm Lookin' For Something- Performed by Maxi Anderson, Charlene Carmon,  
2. Goin' Downtown-Performed by Durrell Babbs, Luke Boyd, Eric Dawkins,  
3. Takin' The Long Way Home-Performed by Michael Leon Wooley  
4. Move-Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Anika Noni Rose  
5. Fake Your Way To The Top-Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles,  
6. Big (Jazz Instrumental)  
7. Cadillac Car-Performed by Laura Bell Bundy, Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé  
8. Steppin' To The Bad Side -Performed by Hinton Battle, Jamie Foxx,  
9. Love You I Do-Performed by Jennifer Hudson  
10. I Want You Baby -Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Eddie
11. Family- Performed by Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles,  
12. Dreamgirls -Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Anika Noni  
13. Heavy-Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Anika Noni Rose
14. It's All Over-Performed by Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé  
15. And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going -Performed by Jennifer Hudson  

The following songs from Act 1 are not on the soundtrack recording: Only the Beginning; Party, Party & The Press Conference are not on the soundtrack, but they could still be in the film.

Altough not on the soundtrack the 30 second song Love Love You Baby the song that came right after And I Am Telling You most likely is in the film.

(Disc 2 [Act 2])

1. I'm Somebody-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles, Sharon Leal, Anika Noni Rose  
2. When I First Saw You-Performed by Jamie Foxx  
3. Patience-Performed by Eddie Murphy, Keith Robinson, Anika Noni Rose  
4. I Am Changing-Performed by Jennifer Hudson  
5. Perfect World-Performed by Steve Russell  
6. I Meant You No Harm/Jimmy's Rap-Performed by Eddie Murphy  
7. Lorrell Loves Jimmy/Family (Reprise)-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles*  
8. Step On Over-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles, Sharon Leal, Anika Noni Rose  
9. I Miss You Old Friend-Performed by Loretta Devine  
10. Effie, Sing My Song Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Keith Robinson*  
11. One Night Only-Performed by Jennifer Hudson  
12. One Night Only (Disco)-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles, Sharon Leal,  
13. Listen-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles  
14. Hard To Say Goodbye-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles, Sharon Leal, Anika  
15. Dreamgirls (Finale)-Performed by Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles,  
16. Curtain Call  
17. Family (End Title)- Performed by Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé  

These songs were in the original show but did not have separate song titles

Songs seem to be cut from the film
Dreams Medley
One More Picture Please
Got To Be Good Times
Ain't No Party
Quintette
I'm Somebody
Faith in Myself

And if you look one of the original Dreamgirls is in the film. Loretta Devine!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:59:13 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 09:37:03 AM »

Bonus Tracks are

18. When I First Saw You (Duet)-Performed by Jamie Foxx, Beyoncé Knowles  
19. One Night Only (Dance Mix) *-Performed by Beyoncé Knowles, Sharon  
20. And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going (Dance Mix) *-Performed by Jennifer  
21. Patience (Composer Demo) *-Performed by Henry Krieger* Bonus Tracks  

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 09:46:50 AM »

I shall now be on my way to tape a radio show.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 09:47:05 AM »

Probably the question that will be most ask:

Does Jennifer Hudson sing And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going as well as Jennifer Holiday.

Well I have seen Jennifer Holiday do it twice in person. Once on Broadway about a month after it opened and I was blown away. (25 Years ago!)
The second time was perhaps 5 years ago and I was at a club on Sunday afternoon and Jennifer Holiday did a set of perhaps 5 songs and the finale being And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going .

I was standing two feet from her and she was fu**in' amazing.

So in my opion does Jennifer Hudson do as well as Jennifer Holiday?

Almost. I listened to her sing it three times. I just didn't hear all the pain and agony that Holiday put in the song. But she was real close.

YouTube has a lot of clips. coming attraction etc from the film. There is an OFFICIAL website where you can hear And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going and the new song Listen sung by Beyonce.

As for the frenetic editing it was hard to tell from the clips. But I am looking forward to seeing it.

As for the "Oscar" buzz I am sure that is exactly what it is. Just buzz. There is so many other films out there that have the buzz who knows what will happen when the nominations roll along.

But it does have Paramount Pictures and Dreamworks behind it.

It will play at the Cinerama Dome in LA and the Ziegfield in NYC in the old fashioned ROADSHOW engagement. But it is interesting according to the website if you book online you cannot choose your seat! You have to go to the box office to do that.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 10:02:23 AM »

Micahel S - Is "Heavy" in fact a new song for the film?  I seem to remember it from the show, although I'm not sure if it was on the OCR.  I can remember the hook very well, but not the whole song.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 10:07:14 AM »

Unless "Heavy Heavy" from the show is a different number from "Heavy" in the film?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »

Michael, I'm fairly certain that der B and I saw "Heavy" performed in act one, when we saw Dreamgirls many years ago in Long Beach.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2006, 10:11:09 AM »

If the spotlight of the second half is more on the Deena Jones character, then that's reportedly true to the writers' original intention.  Before Jennifer Holliday complained, Effie was gone from the show after the end of Act I.  According to one of the Michael Bennett bios, Jennifer Holliday approached Michael Bennett saying he had told her the role would make her a star, and how was that going to happen if Effie's gone from Act II.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

Well, I took a few trips down the basement and decided that I needed to take a break.   I'm starting to catch a cold. It's been coming on for the past few days. I've taken my vitamins and gotten a lot of rest, but I think it's going to happen anyway.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »

I was unpleasantly shocked this morning when reading a front page Oregonian article about a guy whose fence was destroyed, who, after doing a bunch of private investigative work, tracked the culprit down and successfully sued him on the Judge Joe Brown show.  It turns out the "bad guy" is our (now former) landscaper!  Yeesh!! (A little joke there, if you choose to watch the clip the plaintiff uploaded to You Tube):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5roK3cphZCk
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »

Day has continued to be marvelously beautiful. I probably should have cleaned some gutters but I was so engrossed by the films I was watching that I let the feeling pass. I will do it at some point this coming week. We're supposed to have nice weather for a few more days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »

Yes, it's just buzz at this point about DREAMGIRLS. It hasn't opened anywhere, just been sneaked in a few locales. Buzz isn't always telling: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA had a huge amount of buzz last year and while it won three Oscars in technical categories, kind of fizzled once it opened.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN also had buzz from the moment it won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, buzz that continued to build as the film racked up award after award at the end of the year and into 2006.

So, while you can't listen just to the buzz, it certainly seems that most films nowadays that open near the end of the year need it to get a running start at awards time.

And I haven't read anyone who's seen DREAMGIRLS who thought it was not going to be a contender for awards.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2006, 01:33:08 PM »

I watched OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR to take up most of my afternoon.

When the Paramount logo first appeared, my heart sank as it appeared soft, digital-looking, and totally unimpressive. Once the images started to appear, however, I was relieved that the Panavision image was sharp, free of dirt and scratches, and with strong color. Very nice for a film this old to look so good.

I still think the film is too long. We've long since gotten the point by the time that tremendous final shot comes up. Still, how wonderful to see it again looking so fine. And while the sound is mono, it's strong and clear.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2006, 01:35:25 PM »

I used the Deep Discount sale last week to replace the original version of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. The first DVD was non-anamorphic (though it looked and sounded fine). The newest release of the orignal MI now has a sparkling anamorphic transfer, and it looks stupendous. I got to the middle of the Langley job before I shut things down to get on-line, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it, especially the thrilling helicopter chase near the end.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2006, 01:36:28 PM »

If I don't watch some of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in HD, I'll probably go back to the second disc in the CSI: MIAMI boxed set. I still have two episodes on it to go.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »

And the word of the day is: COMITY!

My Tico.... The name of my new novel
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2006, 02:12:38 PM »

a comity of errors....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2006, 02:14:42 PM »

Like the new avatar Cilla....

Have had oysters once and I am not impressed.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »

BTW, I will change my avvie tonight after work... I did not have time before I came to work to change it for I had just arrived from visiting the rellies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up