Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SCUDDA HOO, SCUDDA HAY  (Read 27533 times)

FJL

Re:SCUDDA HOO, SCUDDA HAY
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 11:40:34 AM »

And one for Medulla

FJL

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »

(I think that's a brain reference)

FJL

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »

My office's holiday party is this Tuesday.  This is the first time the party's been after office hours - they used to have it duirng regular working hours on a Friday, and then people could leave early for the weekend.  It'll be interesting to see how the change affects attendance.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2006, 11:57:23 AM »

I am baking peanut butter drop cookies with hershey kisses in the center, raspberry cheesecake brownies, sugar cookies and something else I can't remember.

Gosh, those would sure make nice birthday gifts!

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »

Good afternoon. I watched the end of Empire Falls. I really like that movie

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »

Thank you everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes! What a great bunch of people, I really am very touched!....

....and I would like to be touched by MattH's birthday boy picture...but that is another story (or dream)!  :D

Anyway, thanks again for all the happy birthday greetings...and this is truly a very happy birthday being spent in Tinsletown!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »

Now to finished reading the posts!!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2006, 12:03:26 PM »

Wow, I am now done reading all of the posts (all of those Dick and Jane books you sent me Elmore have really improved my spead of reading).

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2006, 12:07:37 PM »

Now to chime in on THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X....my only complaint about this play is......that JRand56 was not there sitting next to me watching it....he would have been howling with laughter right along with me!

Now when I love, love, love something I do tend to gush about it a lot....and I have been sincerely gushing about this play to anyone who would listen (and even to some who weren't listening) but if I had spent the plane ticket to come down here and had only seen this play and then returned it would have been worth it! This play was like it was meant for me (and JRand56). The songs were wonderful fun and I am still humming some of them....the dance numbers were astounding and much, much more then I was expecting.....

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »

Mmmmm, our house smells good!  I just took the cinnamon pecan coffee cakes out of the oven.  While baking, I sort of watched the Marshall's U. S. Figure Skating Challenge.  I didn't vote, but was pleased with the result.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »

...I will tell you what really makes this play so enjoyable...aside from the fact that the costumes and make-up are so very authentic to the period (which is always a sticking point for me, particularly if something is set in the 50s)...is that although this is a spoof of a particular genre of film and of the 50s it isn't a meanspirited spoof like you so often see and which are usually created by people who have no appreciating of the era....BK loves that era and he loves those movies...he can take those things and spoof them and joke about them but he doesn't insult them...and that is what makes this play so enjoyable....he celebrates the era and the old B movies, rather then treating them as if they were inferior to the modern day......

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »

What also made this play was the excellent cast. I know BK says he has some things about it that he dislikes or isn't totally happy with, but from my point of view, and the point of view of those I say the play with (both nights), they all came of great...even the one who BK plans to have a little talk with...I personally thought he was quite good....

...but of course Mr. Cason Murphy as Zubrick steals the show and it is amazing that he is not yet a professional actor...he is someone that we will very soon be seeing on TV or film, mark my word...he is one heck of a talent!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2006, 12:17:17 PM »

Our first review from reviewplays.com:

After weeks of anticipation, the world premiere of The Brain From Planet X finally made its appearance at the El Camino Theatre at Los Angeles City College, wreaking havoc and leaving dozens of bodies on the floor from people who succumbed to its laughter induced fits and knee jerk slaps.  

First written in the late 1980's by Bruce Kimmel (click here for our interview with Bruce), the collaborative effort with co-writer David Wechter has morphed into a science fiction musical that is very short on science, very long on fiction and wonderfully rich with music.  It's also a little raunchy, a little baudy, a lot sexy and a merciless spoof of the great bad sci-fi films of the '50's and the '60's.

From the opening number (The Brain from Planet X) sung by the narrator and the company to the closing Finale the almost non-stop music advances the plot that would have us believe that a gigantic brain has made an expedition to the earth of 1958 with the evil plan of taking over the world, because the inhabitants of Planet X are convinced the earthlings are "Stupid!".

The brain and its stooges, Yoni and Zubrick, have a "Will Bender" ray gun with which they hope to control the entire population. One zap and the person is in their control.  Their first stop is the heartland of the American landscape - The San Fernando Valley, and their first victims are Fred and Joyce, an amalgamation of Ozzie and Harriet, Lucy and Ricky, Jim and Margaret Anderson and every other TV cutesy couple of the era.

The U.S. Army gets involved vowing to destroy the brain, ignoring the pleas of Professor Leder who believes there is much to learn from the aliens.  With Army characters named General Mills and his aide Private Parts, you kind of know they won't be too successful. In spite of their bumbling, true to every great literary masterpiece, good triumphs over evil, although we won't tell you how.

We can say that the cast is absolutely great, even if they are so much over the top they almost float next to the little space ship that sometimes glides across the stage.  Kevin Spirtas put on his nerdy mantle to become inventor Fred, a model 1958 husband with his dutiful wife Joyce believably played by Lauren Rubin.  Merrill Grant nails the role of horny teen-age daughter Donna, who in turn is nailed by beat generation wanna-be poet Rod, played by Grady Williams, man.  Benjamin Clark is great as the Narrator who opens the show, later doubling as the Professor.  Michael Hausner and Efrčn Sanchez play the General and the Private and Egbert Bernard is assigned the role of Brain.  The guy has to schlep the massive glob over his head for the two hours plus - and even sings and dances with it.  If the Ovations had a category - Best Performance by a Brain - Egbert would walk off with it.

One of the Brain's stooges is Yoni, played by the architecturally endowed Alet Taylor.  Yoni discovers the pleasures of the flesh and proceeds to indulge at every possible chance with any man around.  She even out-"horny's" Donna, and those familiar the the hormonal drive of a teen-ager will appreciate her effort.  Her opposite number Zubrick is by far the best character in the play.  The gifted Cason Murphy takes complete ownership of the role, and creates a character that is chaotic, zany and often bumbling, but always fiercely loyal to the cause - even if he doesn't understand it.  Murphy's rubber face shows priceless expressions even when he brings up a member of the audience on stage for a little interactive shtick, discovering it's Dr. Steve Maradian, College President. Good thing Cason Murphy went into acting instead of crime; if the way he steals the show is any indication, imagine what a threat he could be to society.  

Aided by imaginative and fluid retro sets by Kevin Morrisey the production shimmers with "big time" touches and one would be hard pressed to realize that most of the cast and crew is made up of LACC Theatre Academy students. The five piece band (often sounding much bigger) is led by Richard Berent (on keyboards) and includes Shannon Ford on drums and percussion, Daniel Fabricani on bass, Matthew Smedal on keyboards and Kurt Festinger on reeds.  The orchestrations are by Larry Moore.  One of the highlights of the shows is the Brain Tap number, featuring the entire company singing and tap dancing; a tribute to the talents of choreographer Shari Jordan.

The chorus members include Alien Tappers, Eric Brown, Aundrča Colfield,  Svetlana Kisiyan, Ksenia Litomisky, Masafumi Matsumoto, Chie Saito and Alfonso Toxqui.  Costuming of the period and the alien costumes are the creations of Terri Reh. Cricket S. Meyers designed the sound and Jim Moody is responsible for the moody lighting effects.  

The Brain From Planet X will convince you that there is no intelligent life in outer space - but it will provide the most fun you can have with your clothes on while trying to find it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »

MBarnum thanks for your view of the show.  Sounds fab.

Ginny, you are making me very hungry.  

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2006, 12:17:41 PM »

Alet is another one whose I am now a huge fan of...I will admit that I was not that crazy about her in WHAT IF?, but in THE BRAIN I loved her....and I swear she was channeling both Allison Hayes and Julie Newmar (JRand56, remember that photo of Allison with the tall, tall, hairdo from the Hypnotic Eye publicity photo...that is what Alet looked like in the first half of the play....in the second half she looked just like Allison in both THE UNDEAD and WOLF DOG).....AND SHE CAN SING! I loved her numbers so, so much!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »

And of course Benjamin Clark, who played the narrator and the old professor is from my old stomping grounds Ashland, Oregon. I nice guy and quite a talent. He was certainly a highlight....there were just so many wonderful performances that stand out...Pvt. Parts was hilarious, and he had not a single line! He would have done Jonathan Haze or Dick Miller proud! He did not mug or try to upstage anyone and yet he made such an impact on those I was at the play with...they loved him...and I am happy to say I had a chance to tell him so (I think his name is Efren Sanchez, but I dont' have the cast list in front of me).

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »

Sorry I interrupted your Brain report there, DR MBarnum!  

Those '50s sci fi films came up in the audiobook I'm "reading" in my car, Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.  He's telling the story of going with his mother to the movies in downtown Des Moines and lamenting that they never saw the really good shows.  I really cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who grew up in the '50s and '60s (or anyone who wishes they had!)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »

Congrats, BK, great review

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »

....and the BRAIN! Oh, the Brain itself is wonderful! I am in love with the brain. I have a huge crush on the Brain...it was hilarioius, and cute, and so much fun. the actor playing him had the perfect voice for the brain...and the way the actor made the brain move was perfection! It could not have been any better...I was laughing my socks off everytime the brain was on stage, and even now when I picture the brain I laugh!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2006, 12:24:42 PM »

Kevin Spirtas was also very good and most certainly looked the part of the stalwart 1950s hero/sit com type dad. Very Hugh Marlowe handsome, and a very nice guy to boot. I am now a fan and will be getting the DVD of his cabaret act upon my return to Salem.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »

Wow!  What a review - congratulations, BK!

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »

Ginny, you are making me very hungry.  

It will be a miracle if the one for my family doesn't get eaten tonight!

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2006, 12:30:14 PM »

I should have waited until BK posted that review...it says so much of what I was  trying to say in my 2000 posts! LOL!

And I will stop gushing, although I could go on, and I am honestly not brownnosing BK...those thoughts above that I posted are from the heart....I will miss seeing this play and if I lived here in LA I would be attending every single show (I am so sorry that I had to miss yesterdays matinee!).

Now the gushing stops and I return you to your regularly scheduled postings....

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »

Oh, but first! My friend Diana Darrin is now a huge fan of BKs...she laughed so hard during that play that I was worried she would hurt herself...she was even whooping and hollering after each song. She was most certainly impressed.

Laurie Mitchell was also very, very impressed and just loved the production!!!

And judging from the reactions of people sitting around on both nights, the show was a hit!

Last night there was a group from NY that were so fun to watch because they were enjoying the show so much! And the first night there as a young 20 something gal sitting behind us that was having the time of her life!!!

And Laurie's neice Lori said that during intermission all the ladies in the ladie's room were going on and on about how much they were enjoying the play and how professional it was! It really was difficult to believe that so much of the cast were student...some danged talented ones!

BK, you done good!

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »

One more gush...Merrill...she was so, so good in her role...just amazing! BK made the right choice in picking her for this role! And she is cute as a button!

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2006, 12:38:47 PM »

Ok, I am going to skip the play in Encino that I was going to attend this afternoon as I just feel more like exploring more of Hollywood today.

DR Musicguy came by this morning and treated me to lunch at CAFE 101...which is so 50s!! I was loving it! and Musicguy (Lyn) is such a fascinating person! I didn't realize he had lived in Hollywood during the 60s and 70s as a young man...and oh the stories! I was having the time of my life! Thanks Musicguy...and DR Kerry, I am so disappionted not to have gotten to meet you  >:(   but thanks Musicguy for the wonderful motor tour of various places...including the Brady Bunch house!!!! What a treat!

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2006, 12:39:32 PM »

Off to Starbucks and must check out this little place BK likes to call Amoeba Records.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »

I have just uploaded about three hundred photos from The Brain and will post a few throughout the day.

Here's Benjamin Clark as the Narrator - for those paying attention, the play starts in black-and-white, then transforms into color when the cast enters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »

And here's the company in full color for the title song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »

Turned out to be warmer than I expected, and tomorrow is supposed to be nicer yet. Hooray!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up