Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42589 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 06:39:52 AM »

Gifts - another thing I need to do over the next few days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 06:40:18 AM »

And one for Amahler and the Night Visitors.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 06:40:37 AM »

Well, I shall go back to bed and see if I can get another two hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:25 AM »

Lesson learned, of course, is never eat chili cheese fries with onions at eleven at night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:45 AM »

If I cannot sleep, I shall return and make with some snappy repartee.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 06:42:53 AM »

I think the Jon Hall movie is the one I remember - was there another Universal film from the same period that's an Arabian Nights film?  Maybe the other one I remember is Son of Sinbad - but I think I also remember a second Arabian Nights film - I think both were on laserdisc.  Are those films on DVD yet?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »

Perhaps I'll just be ALL the posts on page two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 06:44:10 AM »

I hope whatever orders are coming in come in soon, before I go to the post office.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 06:44:42 AM »

Someone interrupt me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 06:44:52 AM »

Okay, back to bed.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 06:46:04 AM »

The Kevin Spirtas DVD was also rapturously received by a dear friend who is a real Spirtas fan.  He's already watched it twice.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 06:53:38 AM »

BK,
Stop posting and go back to bed, you silly fellow!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »

DR SANDRA,
Perhaps you could make some edible plates? As in chocolate? :)  Or would that take all the fun out of it?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 07:27:14 AM »

Good morning!

It's gray here today and chillier. We're due to have rain for the next four days according to the newspaper weather forecast. Still, I can't complain. December has still been much warmer than I was expecting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:59 AM »

I LOVE that Popeye (color) cartoon that features Ali Baba. It's one of the classics.

I agree about the 1940 THIEF OF BAGHDAD, terrific entertainment, superb color, imagination that doesn't quit.

And I also agree with DR Elmore's choice of Steve Reeves' THIEF OF BAGHDAD. It's my favorite movie of his. Sadly, I only have it on a pan and scan videotape. Was it ever released in widescreen on laser or DVD?

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2006, 07:30:39 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, hopefully-rested, recorded, and rapturous BK --

Hopefully, you got back to sleep and had a little "post-chili cheese fries" recovery and relaxation.

It sounds like everything went pretty well at the recording session, and that your couple of "pick up inserts" won't be too hard to accomplish later.  I was thinking of all of you, and holding good thoughts!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »

I have a Christmas dinner/party to go to tonight, so the DVDs I'll be watching here today will be this afternoon. We're probably going to watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE after dinner tonight to ring in the season.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2006, 07:32:59 AM »

I actually slept better last night than I have for the last two or three days. And that happened even though I fell asleep in my chair last night and slept there for two hours. Usually, if I drop off that close to bedtime, I can't fall asleep at all, but I guess my body just needed all that sleep.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2006, 07:33:12 AM »

Well, here I am in Portland OR, on my way to the cabin as soon as the sun (?) comes up...

I had such a lovely time yesterday with Jane and Keith and the pupster! He is a wonderful delicious morsel of cuteness. Oh, whatta dawg!!! Jane looks good, Keith is reborn, having another dawg - there's a boy NEEDS a dawg! - and the house is just beeyooteefull!!!

Gosh, it's COLD!! Holy smokes - winter! Long dark nights and precious little light up this way right around Solstice...

Some neighbors who have been power-less for many days got power day before yesterday. A friend of mine called Snohomish Power, and the company said power has been restored to all but 250 homes in the entire county. Crossed fingers that my house is not among that small number...

TOD - Thief of Baghdad!!! Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves!!!

Okay - back on the road, and more when I'm back in LA next week.
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 07:33:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: FESTER!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde,
Who found it hard not to giggle
At the fester growing on the tip of his nose.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day/longest night of the year and the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and the longest day/shortest night of the year and the beginning of summer in the Southern Hemisphere.  It is when the sun is shining directly on the Tropic of Capricorn.

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere it means the days will start getting longer tomorrow...the sun'll come out...oh never mind
My father's favorite line, repeated every year at the Summer Solstice, is "It's going to be a l-o-n-g day."

He doesn't have a line for the Winter Solstice.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2006, 07:39:45 AM »

TOD:

I remember liking "Clash Of The Titans" a lot and watched it several times.  It also had the stop-motion effects done by Harryhausen, but I really thought Harry Hamlin had great thighs and chest in that movie!  

....what is it? Blind witches?.....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:40:23 AM by MusicGuy »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2006, 07:40:45 AM »

Korda's THIEF OF BAGHDAD is one of the most perfect movies ever!  And it has a great, great Miklos Rozsa score too!  I recently picked up a wonderful children's story-book from the film, with drawn illoes in it.  There is also a fairly recent book that Malcolm Willits of Collectors Book Store in Hollywood put out that has the script, stills, and production notes.  I recently heard a bit of trivia on a BBC radio show that Cleo Laine, who must have been fairly young, was in the movie.  Actor Leslie Philips said he was in it with.  Philips is being touting recently in a new Peter O'Toole movie VENUS and was in one of the early Carry-Ons, being famous for his lothario: "Hellooo..."

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 07:40:49 AM »

Safe travels, DR PennyO, and vibes for power in the cabin!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »

I think I woke up worrying about what we did and didn't get in last night's session - and I think the only things we didn't get are The Brain's dialogue and songs and Rod's few lines of dialogue, both of which I can pick up while we're mixing next year.  I still have to decide how we're doing The Brain Tap for the CD - in the show it involves audience participation - we thought about having a "guest star" for the CD, but a) I don't know who that would be, and b) it might just be tiresome as a listening experience - or, it could be really funny.  Otherwise there's c) I can just edit together its three sections and be done with it.  If it's "a" then Alet and Cason will have to come back to do some dialogue lines, as will the "guest star."
Where is Kaye Ballard when you need her?  (A Jason Graae reference.)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2006, 07:44:13 AM »

Son of Sinbad is a laugh riot with Dale Roberston as the son and Vincent Price as Omar Kayham(I think), but it's real Howard Hughes production with lots of scantily-clad women (the daughters of the forty thieves) and stripper Lili St. Cyr doing a wild dance.

I actually also like OMAR KAYHAM with Cornel Wilde.  Very nice movie.  

Of the Harryhausen Sinbads, I like Golden Voyage best.  I'm also fond of Sinbad the Sailor with Doug Fairbanks, Jr. and Maureen O' Hara.  Terrific performance by Walter Slezak.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2006, 07:49:21 AM »

Very very nice review of the Kritzerland Skinner/Ripley CD.  Continued congrats, BK.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/sound/dec2106.html

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »

I, for one, slept well last night.

I had a very nice dream where I was walking along a trail in a verdant park, where large cast iron sculptures of animals were placed close to the path.  There were deer, wild hogs, a cheetah or two, and winged horses.  Then, I looked up the trail, and one of the cast iron winged horses was walking towards me, and then walked right on by.

It was quite spectacular, to say the least.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »

Fester---my favorite member of the Adams' Family.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2006, 08:07:06 AM »

Guess I'll head down now and get today's cleaning done now since I won't be at home this evening to do it.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up