Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEST IS YET TO COME  (Read 34925 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE BEST IS YET TO COME
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 07:11:47 AM »

Good morning!

Overcast here, but we're warming up to the upper 60s today. So, a cloudy January day, but it's going to be atypically warm once again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 07:14:06 AM »

Page Two WINNIE THE POOH AND THE HONEY TREE Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to DR TPunk!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 07:18:48 AM »

My favorite Cy Coleman songs:

"The Best Is Yet to Come"

"I've Got Your Number"

"You're Nothing Without Me"

"Where Am I Going?"

"Little Me"

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 07:19:49 AM »

I'm going to watch FIREWALL tonight on HBO-HD. It got lousy reviews and did disappointingly at the box-office, but I've never seen it so tonight, I shall!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 07:21:18 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I popped in earlier with a birthday greeting for DR TPunk, but am now signing on for the day.  It's a work day for me, all information-waitressing, but pretty slow so far due to the rain.

TOD:

Hey There, Good Times
Come Follow the Band
Baby, Dream Your Dream
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 07:22:53 AM »

I have some more Blu-ray discs shipped from Amazon on Thursday, but I don't have any hopes of their arriving today, and since we have another postal holiday on Monday and Tuesday will be a catch-up day, I'm guessing I won't get them until next Wednesday.

I have one Blu-ray left - SLEEPY HOLLOW - so I'll probably put it on hold for a day or two. I haven't seen this film since it came out at the movies and I saw it with my friend Rodney who was going back a second time to see it. I did like it though it actually had little to do with Irving's masterful short story.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR Edi, your song choices are not Cy Coleman songs, much as I love the singing of Mr Guy Haines.  They're Adler-Ross numbers, and I am certain you know many Coleman songs; he was a lovely gentleman.

I'm simply qvelling over the CD for "The Brain" which will be certain to drive the neighbors mad for the next couple of weeks.  This recording is going to be such fun to listen to.  I want the finished product!  

When can we order?

TOD:
   Whole Scores:
   WILDCAT: especially "Tall Hope" and "Hey Look Me Over"
   BARNUM:  The original production, Glenn Close and Jim Dale were amazing: "The Colors Of My Life" and "Out There"
   I LOVE MY WIFE: All of it, especially "Someone wonderful I Missed" and "Hey There Good Times"
   "A Real Live Girl"
   "You're Nothing Without Me"

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »

I forgot SWEET CHARITY!  Duh!

DR MattH, I loved SLEEPY HOLLOW!  My initial reaction was, Lord, that's gonna stink - I'm having a hard time forgiving Tim Burton for the dreadful Mars invasion - and I fell in love with the film.  He's the only film director of the current market who might stand a chance with SWEENEY TODD, I believe.  I think he'd do a beautiful remake of BRIGADOON as well.

Who's playing Judge Turpitude?  Anyone know?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 07:31:03 AM »

...They're Adler-Ross numbers, and I am certain you know many Coleman songs; he was a lovely gentleman.

Remember when he was the guest artist with the Middletown Symphony, DR Elmore?  What a great evening!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »

Remember when he was the guest artist with the Middletown Symphony, DR Elmore?  What a great evening!

I only remember what a nice gentleman he was at the reception after!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »

TPUNK- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! [/size]

SATURDAY BIRTHDAY ARE THE BEST-HAVE A GREAT DAY! [/size]

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »

DakotaCelt-Wishing you a very good weekend.  I was a bit concerned when I didn’t see you posting on your 1 year anniversary, glad you are okay.

DRelmore-As tempting as your offer is, February in NY is just a bit too cold for me.  Summer’s & winter’s on the East Coast were two major reasons we moved back to the West Coast.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 08:20:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Well...  I guess I needed the sleep.  -I just got up about and 30 minutes ago.  -Well, I knew I needed the sleep, so... So much for an early start down to DC.  -And, of course, now I'm thinking to myself, "Do I really need to head down today? Especially if I'm heading back Monday night?"  Hmm... And since I don't like driving in the rain...  In any case...

Good morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 08:21:07 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR TPunk!

Be sure to have lots of wine and cake tonight!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm sure I've read who's been cast as Judge Turpin, but it's just not coming into my brain as I type.

Your enthusiasm for SLEEPY HOLLOW now increases my desire to see it. I remember it only as being visually stunning with less gore than I was expecting. I may put it on tonight after I finish FIREWALL (or if FIREWALL is so horrible that I abandon it mid-film which could very well happen given its lousy reviews.) I do want to see it in a pitch black room which requires that it be night at my house.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2007, 08:34:09 AM »

I have some things I need to tend to before I start lunch preparation, so I'm heading downstairs now.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2007, 08:46:42 AM »

Judge Turpin = Alan Rickman

I know this because the co-worker whose desk is adjacent to mine in our cube farm is a huge AR fan.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »

As for Cy Coleman songs...

Favorite Cy Coleman score: On the Twentieth Century

Cy Coleman score that I actually had to practice ;) : City of Angels - And this was/is mainly due to how the piano/conductor score is laid out.  It's truly a P/C as opposed to a P/V (piano/vocal).  Lots of orchestra cues to decipher - and basically ignore.  And it's just so darn jazzy - but in a good way.  ;)

Favorite "little known" Cy Coleman song: "You There In The Back Row" - Thank you, bk and Liz Callaway, for introducing me to that song.  -And, alas, I think it's out of print again.

Cy Coleman song that gets butchered the most at the auditions I've played: "You Can Always Count On Me"

Cy Coleman song that most auditionees can never properly give me their tempo of: "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This"  - Gotta love that hemiola!

Cy Coleman song that makes your heart melt when sung by an eight-year old boy: "Look Around"  -I used to play for a musical theatre class geared towards elementary school-aged children.. Awwww.

Cy Coleman song that I have fun playing: "You're Nothing Without Me".

First Cy Coleman song I remember playing at an audition: "Colors Of My Life"

Cy Coleman song that I look forward to playing at an audition: "Never"  -Who knew that 6/4 time could groove so much?  -Alas, if the actress doesn't get it, nor nail it.. :-\

Cy Coleman score that I should probably get to know better: The Will Rogers Follies

Cy Coleman score that I would like to hear in concert, uncut and unaltered: I Love My Wife  -Just because... I've always been curious as to how this show would play today.

And, finally - for now - the Cy Coleman song that usually gets butchered at auditions, but that usually ends up providing me with a big grin across my face when it does: "Hey, Big Spender"  ;D - Schaudenfreude, baby!  "Thank You!"

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 08:49:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »

Ugh... I made coffee earlier.  I've been drinking said coffee.  But I'm still feeling a bit sleepy... :-\  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »

...And it's not good to drive when you're sleepy... Especially when it's raining...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2007, 08:52:14 AM »

Well, let me stop kvetching and kvelling here and get some things organized here, and then we'll see where my body and mindset are.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »

Well, let me stop kvetching and kvelling here and get some things organized here, and then we'll see where my body and mindset are.

Laters...

Kvetch and Kvell: I believe they handled my last court case.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO DR TPUNK!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TPUNK!!! May you have a most wonderful day.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR Edi, your song choices are not Cy Coleman songs, much as I love the singing of Mr Guy Haines.  They're Adler-Ross numbers, and I am certain you know many Coleman songs; he was a lovely gentleman.

For some reason, I always get Damn Yankees and Sweet Charity confused. We had both of these albums when I was a little kid, and I remember being surprised that my parents had an album with the word "Damn" in the name when that word was not to be spoken in our house. And Gwen Verdon, on the cover of Sweet Charity seemed quite "lurid" to little me!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »

This morning I was playing for the first time with my brand spankin'-new Palm TX handheld device thingy.  It has built-in wi-fi, and I was able to log in and read this morning's notes and posts while seated at a near-by coffee cafe.  That was great fun except I could not post.  I'll have to figure that one out.

Later today, I will be heading up to my sister's house in Doylestown, PA--home of the James Michner Museum and the Cold-Eaze factory.  It will be another post-Christmas family gathering with turkey and some leftover gift exchanges.  And then there's the Eagles/Saints game tonight.

E!  A!  G!  L!  E!  S!  EAGLES!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2007, 09:18:41 AM »

TOD:

I can't honestly think of a Cy Coleman tune that I don't like.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »

Good Morning!  -Once again...

Still waking up... Still feeling a bit too "not alert" to get in the car and start a four-hour drive down I-95... :-\

But the bed is made, the bag is packed, so... I'll see how I feel at 1:00pm(EST).  If I leave anytime after that, it just won't be worth it to head down for the "weekend", since I have to head back Monday night.  So... I guess we know what that mean... ??? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I completely forgot that she of the Evil Eye was coming this morning.  Now, I'm scurrying to get out of here, but have to package up a few items before doing so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up