Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: MOOD MUSIC  (Read 108723 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MOOD MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 06:53:40 AM »

DR elmore - I was almost going to go to that concert tonight too, but once my friend, Paul, told me he was coming up from Florida this weekend...  This was also the week of all the master classes that are part of Marilyn Horne's organization.  Tuesday was Barbara Cook, Wednesday was Evelyn Lear, and yesterday was Ms. Horne, herself.  Alas, the master classes sold out almost as soon as the tickets went on sale.

Enjoy the concert, and be sure to bundle up - those crosswinds around Carnegie Hall are always quite "cross".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 06:54:44 AM »

DEUX
[/b]
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 06:57:07 AM »

DR George, I'm sorry to hear about JUNO not happening.  But you are on a roll right now and I'm sure you will find something else to do soon.

Whenever I see your avitar, I think that you should play Anne Sullivan :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »

I'm listening to The Best of the Mitchell Trio, one of the last albums of what was left of the Chad Mitchell Trio, a folk group from the 60s which I discovered in the early 70s. DR Elmore is a big fan also.

Chad Mitchell Trio
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:00:18 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 06:59:10 AM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ FOR DR TOMOVOZ'S PLUMBING WOES!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 07:00:58 AM »

Well, I just got an e-mail from the property manager, and she said she just called the boiler/heater company, and they will probably be here sometime today.  Yeah!

*And, I have to say, that's sort of a record - I sent the e-mail to her this morning regarding the "knocking".  Usually it takes a few mornings for her to get back to us.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 07:02:41 AM »

I like mood music a lot, but I have to be in the mood for it.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 07:03:08 AM »

A Mitchell Trio dance:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:03:21 AM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 07:04:22 AM »

Well, I need to rearrange my room just in case the heating company does make it in today.  I just want to give them enough room to work - and since the last time they "fixed" the radiator, water got all over the floor, so...  And I also need to get the rest of my room ready for the rest of the stuff that is coming up next week.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »

Oh...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: SHIBBOLETH!

"Shibbozzel!" ~ Snoop Dogg

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 07:18:57 AM »

BK, I heard Goddard Lieberson invoked in a Roemary Clooney/Hi-Lo's version of HOW ABOUT YOU on WMKV the other night.  Instead "And Franklin Roosevelt's looks give me a thrill", they substituted Goddard Lieberson's looks.

Miss Karen

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 07:21:15 AM »

Ry Cooder -- "Paradise and Lunch" CD (he doesn't have a "Paradise and Breakfast" CD so ...)

Miss Karen

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 07:22:44 AM »

DR Elmo ~ Caught ya!  How's ya doin' ?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 07:24:51 AM »

It's the Mitchell Trio with John Denver!  I also like Eric Anderson, who wrote "Violets of Dawn."  Judy Collins sang the hell out of his wonderful song "Thirsty Boots."

The laundry is in, the bed is made, Barbara Cook is singing and I need more coffee!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 07:29:38 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful and very cold day here. Not a cloud in the azure sky. Breathtaking.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 07:30:07 AM »

DR Elmo ~ Caught ya!  How's ya doin' ?

Yep, Miss Karen, you sure did!  I'm fine, dealing with a new crisis on the job front that has stirred up my anxieties.  Perhaps it's just transferring the anxiety over my dad.

I've started reading Rubert Everett's new autobiography: filled with gossip, wonderful anecdotes and touching portraits of friends and actors he's worked with.  The man has a way with a turn of phrase.  I'm to the point where he's filmed DANCE WITH A STRANGER and heading to Hollywood.  He's the first actor who's admitted affairs with Susan Sarandon and Ian McKellen
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:37 AM »

I love Glynis Johns' rendition of "Send in the Clowns," but I was blown away by Angela Lansbury's version. I really love hearing it sung with just a bit more vocal prowess than Glynis, but for that moment in the show itself, Glynis was sublime. I saw the original production, and that moment gave me chills. (So did "The Miller's Son.")

Miss Karen

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »

START RANT!

The almost ten year grandlad lad will be eligible for free music lessons at school next year.

Swell, you say!

Not so fast!

"No way!", says his Dad. "I don't want do be bothered with all that noise at home!"

(I guess I was away when the news broke about parenting being a "no hassle" job.)

Fortunately I saw this one coming (a good sign was when the kids were not allowed to play CD's in the car without headsets - and if they slipped up and happened to sing along they got yelled at). Of course when they're in the car with Grandpa and Woody they are not allowed to listen to CDs with head-phones. Playing CDs is a communal activity shared by all - singing along is strongly encouraged! We all get a chance to pick, so the kids can do their "I only listen to what I know" bit, while Woody and I strategize "our picks" to get them to hear new stuff.

In anticipation of this family crisis I had previously purchased an eight octave electronic keyboard with most of the bells and whistles (and which you can listen to through head phones) which has been cluttering up my dining room table for over a year).  

The use of a keyboard with head-set has gained son-in-laws approval.

END RANT!

der Brucer

At least their Mom was used to having music around the house. I played piano and guitar, not at all well and their Mom played guitar and Banjo - quite well. We regularly had family folk-song sing alongs. (I must admit that my love of music around the house was greatly diminished when my eldest son decided to learn the sax and clarinet.)

You are keyed up today -- but, hey, you were just doing your job.  Way to go! That's the grandparent rule:  spoil, corrupt, disrupt, and undermine -- Grandma/Grandpa's House = The Fun House

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2007, 07:34:32 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  It's very cold here in SW Ohio today.

TOD - CD(car) - a new audiobook, Charles (Cold Mountain) Frazier's Thirteen Moons, read by Will Patton.

DVD - we still have not installed the new combo DVD/VCR that we purchased almost 2 weeks ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 07:35:55 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - car: WONDERFUL TOWN (revival cast recording w/Donna Murphy)
        home: A SONDHEIM EVENING

DVD - PRESENTING LILY MARS
          GERALD McBOING-BOING
          PRIDE & PREJUDICE (again!)

DVR - last night's SUPERNATURAL
          National Figure Skating Championships men's and women's short programs
          CURSE OF THE DEMON
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:37:02 AM by Matt H. »

Miss Karen

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »

Yep, Miss Karen, you sure did!  I'm fine, dealing with a new crisis on the job front that has stirred up my anxieties.  Perhaps it's just transferring the anxiety over my dad.

I've started reading Rubert Everett's new autobiography: filled with gossip, wonderful anecdotes and touching portraits of friends and actors he's worked with.  The man has a way with a turn of phrase.  I'm to the point where he's filmed DANCE WITH A STRANGER and heading to Hollywood.  He's the first actor who's admitted affairs with Susan Sarandon and Ian McKellen

Your anxiety is understandable, so your life probably will be "all-a-jumble"  for a while, but when the going gets tough, remember all of your friends are in your corner.

I was reading a review about his book just the other day. Sounds delicious -- gossip,  anecdotes, and tales of affairs... my kind'a book!

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »

I know I had or will have the DVR capture YOLANDA AND THE THIEF off TCM at some point, but until I turn everything on, I don't know if it's there or not.

I only have the movie on VHS, and I wanted to see if the broadcast was better than the commercial videotape I have. (It certainly should be.)

Warners has said there is one more Astaire DVD box to come which I assume would include YOLANDA, THE BELLE OF NEW YORK, ROYAL WEDDING (rescued from public domain hell at long last), and A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS. When it's coming is another matter.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »

The second box of Charlie Chan movies should be arriving today or tomorrow, and when they come, they'll be added to the weekend playlist, too.

Miss Karen

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:31 AM »

LAW & ORDER SVU - story line alert!

THE TIMESder Brucer

Jose will love this as a wake-up story ;D

Yeah, I knew Law and Order story lines are ripped from the headlines, and this one sounds like it was ripped straight from the Weekly World News, all right...

Miss Karen

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 07:59:19 AM »

DR Jane ~ In reference to the discussion about your Monster Dog a few days ago, have you read "Marley and Me" by George Grogan?  (Since I'm just a few posts past "newbie," you HHWayers have probably already covered this book, so stop right here if this is a "been there, done that" but if not here goes the plug):

"Marley and Me" -- All of you dog lovers need to read it, it is charming, delightful, funny, and moving (I needed a tissue during the last couple of chapters). We have a Marley in our house -- Deuce, a Humane Society reject that's part (we can only guess) Black Lab, Border Collie, Chow, and we're pretty sure Coyote (to account for his wild streak).  A true Wild Man, but very loveable, incredibly doofy, and most endearing.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2007, 08:02:31 AM »

I have my usual Friday errands to run, so I guess I'd better head down now and get cleaned up a bit before heading out.

WBBL.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 08:02:33 AM »

That's the grandparent rule:  spoil, corrupt, disrupt, and undermine -- Grandma/Grandpa's House = The Fun House

Something tells me the kids aren't going to be staying with Mammy and Pappy too often... ;)
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »

At least not out of my sightline...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Miss Karen

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »

"Marley and Me" by John Grogan

(I don't know what George Grogan has written or why he popped into my mind while I wrote my other post..but my mind is strange like that, things that have nothing to to with anything poppin in and out all the time)..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up