Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 91389 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »

And while I have tap danced on a couple of occasions, I've never really been able to master it.  Perhaps if I actually took a class...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2007, 09:37:14 AM »

I believe that during my entire two and a half year tenure at Totally Hidden Video that all the editing was done non-linear.  In the early days, that meant that when one had to do a re-cut (and there were many) you went down a generation each new cut and there was new time code in addition to the old time code - the editors would have to do list management and it was so cumbersome and awful.  Sometimes there were so many cuts that the time code windows all but obscured the bit.

In the "totally not the same thing" department:

My boss has the same problem with documents she creates in MS Word.  Her "tracking" functions are always active and she cannot see the new-growth forest for all the trees that have been hewn down.

She always e-mails her documents to me to "fix"...and once I get them, I have to select the documents, turn off the tracking features and then turn of "Markup", which is a secondary tracking function.

Once I can see what's left of the document, I can make some sense of it and send it back to her.  

She is always amazed that I can make all the extraneous bits & pieces go away.

I don't plan on letting her learn how I do that, either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:38:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »

As to SUVs, I loathe and abhor them.  Yes, I understand why families like them, but roads were not designed for them, they take up too much room in just about every parking space in parking lots (also not designed for them) and what's more the majority of their owners (not YOU, Jane) are spoiled, selfish people who think being in such a thing gives them the right to own the road and drive however they please.  I also find that the majority of cell phone abusers are in SUVs.  They block traffic, they take up too much room on residential streets (you literally cannot fit when one of them is driving one way and you're driving the other - someone has to pull WAYYYY over).   Otherwise, I suppose they're fine.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »

MBarnum-Glad the package arrived.

DR Laura-Keep those photos coming.
 :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2007, 09:40:42 AM »

And while I have tap danced on a couple of occasions, I've never really been able to master it.  Perhaps if I actually took a class...

I had to learn a tap number as Albert in "Bye, Bye Birdie" -- the "Put on a Happy Face" number at a train station.

The choreographer was the person I danced with onstage (cannot for the life of me remember what she was "supposed" to be ... the lady didn't want to be whatever the script called for, so she changed her role to a cigarette girl carrying a tray of cigarettes like they used to do in nightclubs in the 1950s.  What a cigarette girl was doing at a train station in a podunk town, though, nobody could tell you).  I could do the moves, but she didn't allow me to wear taps. Something about my not having time to learn to tap AND do the moves, too.  So she wore the taps and I foot-synched.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:43:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »

I write in Word, but I'm not sure what you're talking about, Ron.  I just have a blank page.  I know there are things you can turn on to have marks all over the page (like paragraph markers, etc.) but I don't even know how to turn those on. The only thing Word does automatically is put lines under words or grammar or sentence structure that goes against whatever program it has to detect such things.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »

As to SUVs, I loathe and abhor them.  Yes, I understand why families like them, but roads were not designed for them,

LOL-Many of the roads we drive were not designed for my car.  I should take our SUV more often than I do. The driver’s door on my last car wouldn't came slightly unhinged and I'm sure it was from all the jostling I put it through.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2007, 09:46:29 AM »

I write in Word, but I'm not sure what you're talking about, Ron.  I just have a blank page.  I know there are things you can turn on to have marks all over the page (like paragraph markers, etc.) but I don't even know how to turn those on. The only thing Word does automatically is put lines under words or grammar or sentence structure that goes against whatever program it has to detect such things.

If you have a document you wish to edit, but you wish to track what it is you've edited (i.e. see what you've changed), you can go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/TRACK CHANGES and set your document up to have edited portions marked with lines through the deleted matter, or with new material in blue or red or green (depends on the version of MS Word you have).

Also, in Word, there is a VIEW/MARKUP function (I believe I have Word 97)  That function blows me away as it doesn't so much mark what you've changed as simply adds new words you type.  It often looks like extra words have been typed...yet when you try to delete them, they won't go away.

I don't use either function, but I often find myself disengaging them on documents where they have been used.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:48:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »

Mister Cory is a terrific film that I think you will enjoy, MR BK.

One of those U-I CinemaScope Tony Curtis/Blake Edwards flicks.

A Mancini score and some good supporting performances, especially Martha Hyer (with her gorilla-like arms), Charles Bickford, Kathryn Grant, and William Reynolds (among others).
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2007, 09:50:55 AM »

It's my favorite Tony Curtis movie of the period....next to JOHNNY DARK.

Hyer was never more beautifully costume, coiffed, and photographed.  I would guess she is breath-taking on the BIG screen...and Curtis is no slouch himself as the busboy turned gambler.  All of the white dinner jackets fit like gloves.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: KATZENJAMMER!
I have no idea what to make of the word KATZENJAMMER.  Just the thought of it is giving me a headache.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »

OMG!  DR Edi, did you happen to work on the "The Little Vampire" episode?  A friend of mine from college, Steve Langa, was in that one!  You probably have seen his--*ahem*--work.

It was called "GRIP TIL IT HURTS", and it was about a female grip on a film crew. No famous actors to blackmail...darn!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

Will Farrell is John Galt.

Or Pauly Shore, in a stunning dramatic resurrection!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »

I have no idea what to make of the word KATZENJAMMER.  Just the thought of it is giving me a headache.

Casey would waltz
with a strawberry blond
and keep his eye on
the Katzenjammer kids
who wanted to taste her hair.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2007, 09:54:54 AM »

I didn't post yesterday, but our esteemed BK was very much on my mind, as I was reading the first half of his novel, Rewind.  I'm finding it very interesting, even if it is so obviously a total fabrication.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2007, 09:56:10 AM »

I believe that during my entire two and a half year tenure at Totally Hidden Video that all the editing was done non-linear.  In the early days, that meant that when one had to do a re-cut (and there were many) you went down a generation each new cut and there was new time code in addition to the old time code - the editors would have to do list management and it was so cumbersome and awful.  Sometimes there were so many cuts that the time code windows all but obscured the bit.

Hence the joke:

Q: How many (non-linear) editors does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Just one, but you have to change ALL the lightbulbs!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2007, 10:03:19 AM »

They have Hybrid SUV’s now.  The SUV’s are also more comfortable & quieter than they used to be.  Having one is a necessity for us & they are always Keith’s car.  I only drive it when I have no other choice.  Other people love them, Keith is indifferent.

Greg would rather drive a smaller car but he has to fit so much sound gear and a cart in, so he has an Isuzu Trooper, his second. It's 13 years old so he hopes it will hang in there until the hybrids have been out for a few years and he can get a used Highlander hybrid.

My car is the most fuel efficient non-hybrid car---the Toyota Corolla, my third one. We still have my 17 year old Corolla, which runs like a dream, with over 215K on the original clutch. It's our backup car, and always so reliable!

Speaking of---I went to the car tag office and registered my cars in Fulton County. I have been a resident of Cobb Co. for 37 years, so I really felt like I cut the apron strings and made a big step towards moving out of (racist, homophobic) Cobb!

Edisaurus

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »

The Katzenjammer Kids. one of the oldest comic strips ever!

And then there's The Kipper Kids: BIM BAM BOOM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »

I'm still groggy and foggy so I can't possibly joggy until that changes.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2007, 10:08:15 AM »

Thank you DR Laura for the pictures!~ It is nice to see beauty when it is so ucky grey outside my window. Hollywood was not designed to look nice in anything but blue skies and palm trees.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »

good morning everyone!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

DR ADRIANNA PATTI lost her "life" yesterday.

Adriana Patti

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »

Oh, and singing, but I'll let DR Elmore tell you that story :P
:'(
Ah yes, singing is the  biggest thing that I cannot do that annoys the heck out of me. I just can't get my voice to sound the way it should! A travesty because I would be so cute in musicals, but I am forever to be walk on actor #4.

Luckily so many of my favorite musicals have non-singing or chorus (lip syncing) parts! ;D
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »

Gee I woke up so early I can do anything I want with my day!
-Thomas Edison

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »

I saw MISTER CORY on a double drive-in bill with OPERATION PETTICOAT and this must have been a few years AFTER their initial runs....it was the CenterBrook Drive In, after all.

Thought I would like OPERATION PETTICOAT best....but that was NOT the case.  

Adriana Patti

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »

hehe American Cinematheque has a myspace!
-Thomas Edison

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »

I have never seen MR COREY...but have seen photos of Mr. William Reynolds from that film...and he looks divoon!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

Has anyone seen Daniel Craig in "Love is the Devil?"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2007, 10:25:27 AM »

DR ADRIANNA PATTI lost her "life" yesterday.

DR Adrianna Patti, the secret to winning the Game of Life is to always get Revenge as often as you can.  And when you do, use the "10 spaces back" option--that always upsets little kids more than simply taking $10,000 away (I find that most kids under eight have little concept of $10,000--it means nothing to them.)  Send that kid back 10 space a couple of times and you'll cripple his confidence for the rest of the game.  You will zoom your way to Millionaire Acres in victory!

When playing the Game of Life, you have to be ruthless!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up