Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 91057 times)

Cillaliz

Re:DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »

Thanks so much, Cillaliz!

I am collecting notes about successful and unsuccessful restoration efforts, mainly regarding the programming of such theatres.

If you want more information, contact Kim Steffens in the Orpheum Office. She's a friend and I'm sure would be very helpful. Her email is SCOrpheum@aol.com

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »

DR Edi - here's a link to the history of the restoration of our Orpheum Theater. It was a $12 million project that was completed in 2001  http://www.orpheumlive.com/history/index.php

Gosh---this looks fantastic!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:17 PM »

We have been very fortunate to have a 1927 15-rank Robert Morgan Theatre Pipe Organ donated to the Strand by the Atlanta Chapter of the American Theatre Organ Society. I don't know if there was ever an organ installed in this theatre (it was built in 1935) but we're certainly lucky to get this one.

The Rylander is one of the theatres that is always mentioned as a success story. We plan to make a field trip down there to check it out. If we do get our theatre going maybe we can bring you in as a guest performer!

We were lucky enough to get the original Wurlitzer restored and installed in the Orpheum. It will be used next weekend at the Second Annual Silent Film Festival

Edisaurus

« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »

If you want more information, contact Kim Steffens in the Orpheum Office. She's a friend and I'm sure would be very helpful. Her email is SCOrpheum@aol.com

Wonderful! Thanks so much!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »

Turner Classic Movies is working a deal with the theatre, but we're going to have to do more than just show old movies, as much as I love them. The Orpheum programming looks very good!

Cillaliz

« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »

Gosh---this looks fantastic!

It's gorgeous. I think I have an extra copy of the movie Puttin on the Glitz that George Lindblade made of the restoration from start to finish. Let me see if I can find it and I'll send it to you.

Edisaurus

« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »

This is a link to a performance of the Randy Newman song that the NY Times published the lyrics to last week. I don't know the story behind this video, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldToIF5ZGs
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:01:22 PM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »

It's gorgeous. I think I have an extra copy of the movie Puttin on the Glitz that George Lindblade made of the restoration from start to finish. Let me see if I can find it and I'll send it to you.

That would be lovely---I'd love to see it. It is in my nature to do a doc on this, but I also have mixed feeling about it, since the owner, who will still own the theatre and will not give up his demolition permit, is the city councilman we brought up on ethics charges last year.

Cillaliz

« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »

This is a link to a performance of the Randy Newman song that the NY Times published the lyrics to last week. I don't know the story behind this video, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldToIF5ZGs

Wow.

Cillaliz

« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »

That would be lovely---I'd love to see it. It is in my nature to do a doc on this, but I also have mixed feeling about it, since the owner, who will still own the theatre and will not give up his demolition permit, is the city councilman we brought up on ethics charges last year.

Found the extra one. It's even still sealed.  I think I'll get mine out and watch it again...

Cillaliz

« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »

Gotta go. Night

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »

Congrats to DR FJL on 5000 posts!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »

Thanks for the continued congrats!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »

I was perusing Broadwayworld.com and there's an article that has several pictures of Daniel Radcliffe in the new production of EQUUS.  Click HERE...if anyone's interested. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »

I finished with the featurettes on CAPRICE. The one on the first itself seemed to give it more credit than it deserved, and I haven't heard one of these experts admit that the movie was a dismal flop at the box-office.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #375 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:49 PM »

Then, I started rewatching the film with the commentary turned on. I'm sure I won't go all the way back through the film, but it's kind of fun listening to these two men (one who's a Day expert; the other is a James Bond expert) finding all these wonderful things about the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #376 on: January 30, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »

IDOL auditions tonight:

I didn't hear anyone who thrilled me. No one was really all that terrible either. Despite the 20 people that got sent to the next round, this pretty much was a "filler" episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »

HOUSE had an unusual episode tonight, too. Instead of the usual "mystery malady of the week," it was more House and a rape victim talking about feelings, life experiences, values, beliefs. I wouldn't want every episode to be like this, but it was a nice change from the routine.

Matt H.

« Reply #378 on: January 30, 2007, 08:36:36 PM »

DIRT had lots of salacious stuff on display (well, it IS called "DIRT" after all).

Included were an action star outed, a basketball player who had his knees broken, a sitcom star diving into heroin addiction, and the magazine publisher made to give up his source by two threatening hoods who offered to chop off, fry up, and feed him his private parts.

A fun show.

Matt H.

« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »

Again, depending what comes in the mail tomorrow, I have MOVE OVER DARLING and another host of Doris featurettes on that Fox DVD, LIZA WITH A 'Z," and tonight's BOSTON LEGAL to watch.

Matt H.

« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

Off to bed now.

Good night!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2007, 08:47:34 PM »

It's time for me to go home and pay some of my bills. :P I get paid tomorrow and most of what I have to pay can be done on-line.  That's convenient. :)

Just had to share. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:24 PM »

Good Evening!

We got the truck packed in Richmond... We drove up to Fairfax... We loaded the truck with the rest of the stuff I had at my parents' house... We drove up to NYC... We unloaded the truck...  I unpacked some boxes...  I shifted some boxes... We set up my bed... And soon we will sleep...

And it's snowing right now in NYC...

What a perfect "Welcome Home".  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »

In other news, I'm very tired, and need to get to bed.  And since I managed to get two tickets for the tomorrow morning's taping of "The Martha Stewart Show"... -There better be some good audience giveaways tomorrow! - we have to be up early... Again... So..

I hope everyone did indeed have a very good day.  And if not a good day, at least a better one.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2007, 09:24:16 PM »

I hit 5000 posts today.  It doesn't get better than that.

:)

MBarnum

« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2007, 10:01:18 PM »

Some mighty fine news from www.digitalbits.com...Universal is finally digging into their vaults big time!

"Okay, let's have some DVD release news, shall we? Universal has just announced a TON of new catalog titles.
Coming on 5/1 are a Clint Eastwood: Western Icon Collection due to include High Plains Drifter, Joe Kidd and Two Mules for Sister Sara (all in anamorphic widescreen).

On 5/8, look for a Classic Western Round-Up: Volume 1 (including Canyon Passage, Kansas Raiders, The Lawless Breed and The Texas Rangers),

a Classic Western Round-Up: Volume 2 (including California, The Cimarron Kid, The Man from the Alamo and The Texans),

and a Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection (including Against All Flags, Buccaneer's Girl, Double Crossbones and Yankee Buccaneer).

And on 5/22, the studio will release more Universal Cinema Classics titles, including No Man of Her Own, Scarface (1932), So Proudly We Hail and Unconquered."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2007, 10:55:44 PM »

Back from an interesting ASCAP/Disney workshop.  I was quite lucid, but more about that later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »

I then dined at Marie Callendar's and I'm happy to report they have a new menu and they've brought back their delish mac and cheese, which is what I had.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »

Will we never get to page fourteen?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2007, 10:58:13 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?