Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: DOES ANYONE STILL EAT A BLINTZ?  (Read 105435 times)

MBarnum

Re:DOES ANYONE STILL EAT A BLINTZ?
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »

DR Edisaurus,

Here is the website for Salem's Elsinore Theatre which went through a huge restoration 2 years ago....it is a fantastic place and in fact my mom and I are going there this evening to see Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda in THE LADY EVE!

http://www.elsinoretheatre.com/

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »

Page 5 Marcia Henderson and Allison Hayes dance!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:33 AM »

He also said that the lynx coat and high boots that she wears late in the picture for her meeting with Ray Walston in the snow was his favorite outfit in the picture, and because of the way it was shot, you really didn't get to see it in all its glory, his biggest disappointment with the film.

He says that looking at the clothes now, he thinks they're silly, but that at the time, they fit right in with the Carnaby Street high fashion that was popular.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and read more in HARRY POTTER (I'm close to being halfway through it) before starting on lunch.

BTW, the meat loaf turned out wonderfully, and I'll have the rest of it today with some side dishes to be determined.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2007, 08:40:40 AM »

And that previous post put me at 4000. Only 1000 or so behind FJL

Congrats, Ben (fellow Aquarian) on your millstone...er...milestone!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR MATTH - my guess was that they were MODESTY BLAISE inspired as well.

Three sets of clothes!!!  I just can't imagine that Doris would think she looked fine in those crazy rags....but who am I?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »

Michael Shayne, so you don't have to go back and find it, here  is the link to Peter Filichia's column mentioning your e-mail about Catch Me If You Can. It's about 6 paragraphs from the top.

Peter Filichia

Ben

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »

Also of interest, although I can't link to it is in this week's (dated February 5) issue of Newsweek on Page 18 (The Periscope) is a short interview with Peter Miller, Edi's partner at Willow Pond Films and co-creator of the Sacco and Vanzetti documentary.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2007, 08:49:44 AM »

Hmmmm.....there used to be an income point below which you got a total refund of your Federal Income Tax deductions.

Now - if you make $15, you owe $1 in Federal Income Tax.  Even with ALL of my deductions and my LOWER income & retirement pay....I had to give the US Government $353.  This is MORE than I paid when I earned much more and was working full time.   >:(

I also have two incomes...my retirement (military) and my full-time job with the County.

I have to pay additional state/federal taxes to compensate for the combined income, even though taxes are taken out of both incomes.  They take out taxes based on "each" income...but neither is sufficient when the incomes are combined.  It's just a higher tax bracket.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »

Yet another HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!!

And how nice that someone read your words, thought highly of them, and ACTUALLY GAVE YOU CREDIT FOR THEM!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »

Also of interest, although I can't link to it is in this week's (dated February 5) issue of Newsweek on Page 18 (The Periscope) is a short interview with Peter Miller, Edi's partner at Willow Pond Films and co-creator of the Sacco and Vanzetti documentary.

Thanks for finding that, Ben! I knew we were going to be in at some point. Newsweek had put us on their website a few days ago, along with the truncated trailer:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16841991/site/newsweek/

I'll let Peter know...he will be very happy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »

Edi - re Sister Act:  A good friend of ours is one of the writers, and it got a nice review (linked below) in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, so i was wondering if there was any buzz about the show in entertainment circles.

Also, we have a pair of tickets (5th row center) for the matinee on Feb. 24 that we won't be able to use, and if you're interested in that kind of thing, you can have them gratis - we just don't want the seats to go to waste, and when it comes to Atlanta, you're the first person I think of these days, of course.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/movies/content/printedition/2007/01/26/mmsister0126a.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »

"I wish you a bird of a birthday"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Many happy returns of the day, Michael Shayne![/size][/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR MATTH - my guess was that they were MODESTY BLAISE inspired as well.

Three sets of clothes!!!  I just can't imagine that Doris would think she looked fine in those crazy rags....but who am I?  

DR JRand, have you ever seen pics or clip of the LUCY IN LONDON TV special?  What do you think of the mod togs that Lucy dons in that?

...togs?--is that a word?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2007, 09:04:15 AM »

Are there any "Raintree County" (the movie) fans in this forum?

If so...there is some phenomenal news.  After many years, and despite numerous LP and CD incarnations of the original score (or, what was allowed to be released from the original score), Film Score Monthly has announced the complete original score -- remastered from original elements -- and including the main title song as sung by Nat King Cole:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:07:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

FJL

« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »

Jrand - Are you self-employed (an independent contractor)?  If so, in addition to the "income tax" computation, you pay "self-employment tax" instead of social security tax, and that starts with almost the first few dollars you make of gross income.  

For the regular "income tax," there's always deductions and an exemption (about $3,300 per exemption at not-too-high income levels) in arriving at taxable income.  Once you have "taxable income," which is computed AFTER deductions and exemption, yes, THEN you pay the income tax from the very first few dollars.  

There will be a quiz later.  :)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:07:37 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »

DR JRand, have you ever seen pics or clip of the LUCY IN LONDON TV special?  What do you think of the mod togs that Lucy dons in that?

...togs?--is that a word?

DR DtM - I think this is the only Lucy special I was not able to watch all the way through.  Part of it WAS the clothes....although for some reason, maybe the comedy angle, they didn't bother me as much as CAPRICE did.  Maybe I wanted my Doris to be stylish and appropriate and I didn't mind Lucy looking silly sometimes....she seemed to do it on purpose and it fit her persona without doing damage.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2007, 09:09:46 AM »

Not self employed, DR FJL...thanks.  Just a struggling strip mall psychic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:16:37 AM by JRand56 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »

Not self employed, DR BEN...thanks.  Just a struggling strip mall psychic.

Read my lips.

FJL

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:09 AM »

That was me with the tax thoughts, JRand.

But having my thought process being confused with Ben's is a high compliment to me indeed!

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »

Wednesday greetings!

Happiest of birthdays to DR Michael Shayne!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »

That was me with the tax thoughts, JRand.

But having my thought process being confused with Ben's is a high compliment to me indeed!

:-\

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »

Good morning dear H/Ks and DRs.....

..........And, a very Happy Birthday to DR Michael S. !!

I hadn't been aware of just how many of us splendid, unique, and beautiful Aquarians there were here in the Living Room.  I see DR Ben is, and DR Edi is, and Obviously DR Michael S. .  I wonder which other DRs here are avowed Aquarians??  Come on now, it's 2007.... you don't have to stay in the closet!

Hi -- I'm MusicGuy --  and I'm an Aquarian!..... (Hi MusicGuy)....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »

I didn't say I was a GOOD strip mall psychic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:18:18 AM by JRand56 »

MusicGuy

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »

And yet,.... I sense a stirring, an aura, a forcefield...... there just may be another Aquarian celebration here soon........yes, very soon.........

Yes.....the TIME IS NIGH! ......it isn't quite here yet, but it is definitely NIGH !!

More will probably be revealed in tomorrow's notes.  :)

MusicGuy

« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, studly, buns-of-steel BK --

May your stream stay strong, and your Blintz always be perky!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »

Not self employed, DR FJL...thanks.  Just a struggling strip mall psychic.

My next mystery novel--THE PSYCHIC STRIPPER.  A comely young lass pole dances by night and solves murder crimes using her E.S.P. abilities during the day.  She attracts the attention of a handsome police detective--in more ways than one.  But can her powers save her from become a victim herself?
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »

Question for BK:

Have you ever designed for the stage?  Costumes, lights or scenery?  When and where?

And who are some of your favorite designers?

I haven't - but I know what I like, which is helpful.  Favorite designers - Tony Walton, Robin Wagner, Florence Klotz, Boris Aronson, Tharon Musser.

Ginny

« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »

Two Ohio restorations:

Victoria Theatre,, In downtown Dayton.  We have seen some touring musicals there, including 1776, The Full Monty, and Thoroughly Modern Millie.  What we've really enjoyed is the summer "Cool Films" series - the showings include free popcorn and drinks in the lobby and an organ recital before the movie.  

The Ritz Theatre in Tiffin.  I have not been there yet, but will go in April when Tiffin hosts the AAUW/Ohio conference I've been working on.  We have before-and-after-the-conference activities planned at the Ritz (before=behind the scenes tour, after=Village People concert)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up