Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY  (Read 41592 times)

Tomovoz

Re:2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2007, 03:09:22 PM »

I guess it was really a Lily short of a bunch.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »

Not to be confused with being a sandwich short of a picnic or having a kangaroo loose in the top paddock.

(maybe those are references for DR td).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

The Rough Guides are wonderfdul.  The opera one is fantastic and this is a good guide to concert pieces.

I looked at the Angele Dubeau recording; it looks like excerpts from pieces I know and don't know.  It doesn't look like something I'd like, but if it directs to you look into the full compositions, then it has my support.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »

I just spoke to my brother Randy; he believes that tomorrow my dad will be admitted to hospital by his oncologist.  He says that our dad isn't eating and that he's most likely dehydrated, the reasons for his ICU stays last year.  He says his skin looks terrible and the weight loss continues.  I am, of course, trying to maintain equilibrium and hoping all will be well enough for me to postpone the trip to either the weekend or stick to the booked departure date of Feb. 15.  I am officially on hold.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »

Hard Frosting - that's the title of my next novel.

Oh, and I had Matzo Brei - it was quite good and since I jogged I don't think it will cause me much calorie problems - really just two eggs and a piece o' matzo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2007, 03:29:34 PM »

No toast, to potatoes, no nothing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2007, 03:30:28 PM »

The DVD closet, while still chock full o' DVDs, is very neat now.  I also removed about twenty DVDs for trading, and hopefully I'll find another twenty or thirty titles I can live without.

Ben

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »

Tom, you mentioned the frosting. I don't know if I know the difference, I'm just repeating what the wrapper said, Marzipan and Royal Frosting. I think Royal Frosting in hard, isn't it? Whatever surrounds it, the cake is DELICIOUS!!!  We have managed to make the cake last through today (I think it will be gone later this evening). We have one caterpillar roll left. It is described on the wrapper as a chocolate sponge roll filled with chocolate buttercream and covered in milk chocolate icing with decorated white chocolate faces and sugar coated dark chocolate chips. The cover also has a cartoon picture of a caterpillar. These confections, too, are quite tasty!!! Apparently, they are a birthday tradition with our Nottingham friends so they wanted to pass the tradition on to us. Hmmm, how will I get them next year???

Ben

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »

{{{Larry}}}

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2007, 03:46:07 PM »

Possibly my favourite sort of cake DR Ben. It would not last for long here either.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:56:07 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »

Yep Hard frosting would be the usual for such a cake DR Jane. Underneath would be a thick layer of Almond (paste) icing. We would not use the term "Marzipan" for the icing here in OZ - but it is much the same thing.  

Such a fruit cake is the traditional cake here at Christmas and for Weddings.

I wasn't sure if everyone would know what almond paste is.  

The last time I had the traditional cake was 10 years ago at a wedding reception in England.  I indulged, in fact I might have been the only American there eating the fruit cake.  The American's, guests of the groom, were eating a traditional white cake, or the English version of a traditional white wedding cake which I found too sweet.  

Traditionally, I have been told, when guest leave the wedding they are given a piece of cake to take home.  The server, who had already made numerous extra sweeps to me with the small cake pieces, wrapped up several servings for me to take.

Jane

« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »

elmore-Good thoughts and vibes your father will be re-hydrated, given nourishment and will return home to Randy’s.

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2007, 04:02:01 PM »

Indeed the tradition is to take the cake home DR Jane.  It is usually distributed to the guests by the Bride's attendants.  "Singles" are supposed to put the cake beneath their pillow and dream of who will be their spouse.

The non used "tiers" of a traditional cake were (are)kept and cut on the first anniversay.

James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2007, 04:05:56 PM »

For our birding friends. I just heard one of the whooping cranes in Florida survived

Jane

« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2007, 04:21:56 PM »

Tomovoz-The brides attendants may well have been handing out the cake, however, I had my own personal supplier.  :D

My mother kept the top layer of our, traditional American, wedding cake in her freezer until just before our 1st anniversary when she passed it on to us.  We had a small group of friends over (Penny, how good is your memory?) to share in our celebration.  We were very surprised how delicious the cake still tasted.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

Good Evening!

...I took the M60 bus with Steve to La Guardia earlier this afternoon.  He had a good, uneventful flight back to Richmond.  And we had a very good visit over the past couple of days.  And, yes, I miss him already... and am a little sad.  But it's a good sad.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:54:39 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »

Just did the amazon and CD Baby listings for The Brain - and will add Joan Ryan tomorrow.  It takes some time to do it, and I'm not sure the amazon will go through smoothly, although one is ever hopeful.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »

...And instead of staring at a room filled with boxes right now, I shall catch up as best I can on the posts from the past couple of days...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:57:03 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »

Halftime - now I remember why I don't watch pro football...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

Well, on second thought, I think I just need to sit and veg for a while... My brain is tired.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

Well, on second thought, I think I just need to sit and veg for a while... My brain is tired.

Laters...

Tune in the Super Bowl, DR Jose - no brain strain there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »

Stopping in to say, "Hi!"  It has been a full day...slept late, went shopping, ate my first "Whopper" in years for lunch (no fries, no soda...just the burger, and it was delish), and took a nap before Super Bowl.

I just can't seem to "sit and watch" football like I used to...and I'm not particularly "invested" in one team or the other, except I'm pulling for the Colts.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2007, 05:49:45 PM »

Richard and I will be watching the Super Bowl.  It's usually the only pro football game we watch all year and I always make some fun food for the evening.  Just finished making a family specialty, called Stuffed Sandwiches.  Grate a pile of sharp cheddar cheese, chop pitted ripe olives, and mix in together with bottled chili sauce.  Stuff (hence, the name) the mixture into hot dog buns and wrap them in pairs in foil.  Heat in a 350o oven until filling is hot (I can tell by the smell when they're done).  What's interesting this year is that I made more filling than I had room for in the buns, so I used tortillas for the last 2.  Film at 11.

Sounds good....but I feel the need for a Prilosec!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2007, 05:51:45 PM »

Speaking of cake...I made one last night...a RUM CAKE...it's "loaded" and it's "to die for."

I was gonna let it "soak up" the glaze totally before cutting it, but around 2 a.m., I couldn't stand it any longer.

Of course, that was my equivalent of a "midnight snack"...and it was back to bed after the chunk of cake.

I recall having some interesting dreams.  But they've faded.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »

My prayers will include you and your family, Larry!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2007, 06:33:12 PM »

I shall now be on my way to Ruth's Chris Steak House, after which I shall return.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

I like these NPR guides.  They're easy reading, not condescending, and full of informationm and recommendations.

I have a couple of different ones from NPR... They are very nice resources..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »

Skip's cooking class continues to pay off.  Had a great filet mignon for dinner, without having to leave the apartment.  

FJL

« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »

Not that never leaving the apartment is a goal, but it IS cold outside here.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

Continued vibes to DR Elmore and family...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up