Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CONNIPTION FIT  (Read 33106 times)

Cillaliz

Re:CONNIPTION FIT
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 07:01:17 AM »

Conniption Fits - if you ask the people I work with, they will probably say that I have had many. Of course any show of emotion around here is considered unbalanced, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.

I have had a few from time to time, sometimes intentional sometimes not.

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 07:03:48 AM »

DR Elmore, I should add that the weather on Thursday includes possible rain and snow. If my flights are delayed for a long period of time or cancelled, I may not be there either...I don't believe that will happen, but it's always a possibility.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:04:05 AM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 07:13:27 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  No freezing fog this morning and I started my day at a different branch bank that was not in the midst of a robbery.  We've already had the paramedics here this morning to take away one of our homeless "regulars."

TOD - Just day before yesterday, I had my version of a conniption fit when I stood seething outside the room where my program was delayed about 20 minutes while:

1)  The custodial staff set up the furniture in a not-very-close approximation of the way I wanted it (and have requested it twice a month for the the past 4 years)

2)  The IT and Training staffs cobbled together a computer projection system to replace the permanent set-up in that room that worked fine until they decided to "upgrade" it for the new year.

They all knew, when I wasn't in the room good-naturedly pitching to help, that I was peeved.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 07:14:39 AM »

I have never misbehaved or thrown a fit in public- ever- I think that is a record for children everywhere.

Once at home though, when I was 3 or 4, I became quite angry and I threw myself against the wall so hard that I had a concussion. Sadly no one remembers why....
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I hope you don't have the kinds of difficulties getting to NYC next week that you had last fall!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 07:22:11 AM »

eeek I have to go to school now.

I feel much better, my throat stopped hurting but it is still a little raspy, so I will not talk and stop at the corner store for emergen-c and other healthy things.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 07:23:52 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I hope you don't have the kinds of difficulties getting to NYC next week that you had last fall!

Ah, but we both made it on different planes from different airports in time to meet at the airport, check in and get to the theater, so it wasn't so bad.

Plus on the way home I did voluntarily get bumped, thus the free airfare for this trip.  I'll be looking for that opportunity on the way home this time, as well.  I think I've gotten 3 or 4 free tickets in the last couple years.  I now plan extra time on the way home to allow for a voluntary bump.  My only criteria is that it's on the way home and I don't have to spend the night.

I don't think I'll have a problem. It looks like this end will be the worst and it probably won't be too bad, it's jus the early morning still below freezing with precip I worry about.  I may go to Omaha Wednesday night so I'm there in the morning rather than risking a drive in  the dreaded "Wintry Mix".

FJL

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:05 AM »

BK - Mr. Phillip Clark was here in our apartment yesterday and mentioned that he was on the Kritzerland STAGES recording, and Skip of course mentioned his own Kritzerland connection through LAST STARFIGHTER.  The show biz world feels smaller and smaller.  :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 07:28:54 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Of course we will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »

Good morning!

We've got a mid-spring day here today. Totally blue sky, high of 70, just glorious all around!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »

I threw a few hissy fits at teachers' meetings, especially as I neared retirement and had nothing to lose. When decisions would be made that were impractical, ludicrous, or damaging to the educational process, I let my feelings be known. I know my principal was very glad to see me retire at the end.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33:51 AM »

Some networks are ducking for cover tonight and airing reruns opposite AMERICAN IDOL's first results show. The CW is rerunning episodes of SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL. (SMALLVILLE is the really good one concerning the formation of the Justice League), and UGLY BETTY takes a week off as well. (ABC is rerunning last week's GREY'S ANATOMY at 8 to lead into the new episode at 9.

As far as I can tell, CBS and NBC are airing new episodes of their line-ups.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »

DR Dan (the Man):

Yes, it's true. THREE SMART GIRLS was the salvation of Universal Studios in the mid-30s. It made Deanna Durbin an instant star and launched her on her career with the studio from 1936-1948. It was also nominated for Best Picture, though it lost to THE GREAT ZIEGFELD.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »

Good Morning to all...........this is just a quick "Hi Y'all"  to start off the day.  I have a number of errands to accomplish today, so I'll get started.

As to the TOD :  I'm ashamed to say that I've thrown too many. I'm not proud of them, and they leave me feeling crappy and (of course) have very little effect on the other person.  So I really try to make a conscious effort now to "THINK" before my 45 caliber mouth goes off.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 07:57:57 AM »

The only conniption fit I can recall was when I was about 7 or 8 years old...my cousin Molly was going to see THE POSEIDEN ADVENTURE at the theatre...I wanted to go and see it also, but for some reason I could not...I threw a huge fit in front of my mom, cousin, and aunt.

It was the first and last time I ever did that.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »

I am excited about the possible future of THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »

Thanks for that info, DR Matt.  Nothing I saw last night would have ever led me to believe that THREE SMART GIRLS was of that caliber.  But then, I did drift asleep occaisionally so I can't judge too harshly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 08:08:32 AM »

Of course, if I'd just bought a new house and learned that lovely trees were then cut down to put up condos, like DR EDISAURUS just experienced, I think I would be seething mightily. Yes, I might very well have some sort of fit at that!

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 08:08:55 AM »

Thanks for that info, DR Matt.  Nothing I saw last night would have ever led me to believe that THREE SMART GIRLS was of that caliber.  But then, I did drift asleep occaisionally so I can't judge too harshly.

I agree with you. I find it a thoroughly mediocre picture, and of the movies in the DEANNA DURBIN SWEETHEART COLLECTION, it's the only one I haven't watched again because I found it a bore the first time I saw it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:11 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Cillaliz - Are you flying Jet Blue?

;)

*Although, if you get stuck on the tarmack for a certain amount of hours you also get $1000, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 08:22:57 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

There was actually only one performance that i loved and that was lakisha.  I thought she was outstanding.

Another person who I do like is melinda.  But compared to lakisha i thought she was just very good.

I suspect tonight one of the girls who we don't really know will go home: either amy, leslie, nicole or haley.

I think antonella will be safe even though she was quite bad. I personally do not like her. Her backstory really irriated me (well not her story per se, but rather watching it play out).

I also find jordan (the 16-17 yr old) grating.  I actually think alaina seems sweet (but was not good last night). And i can see why people think stephanie (first girl with short hair) and sabrina were good. They just didn't impress me they way lakisha did.

It's funny that the judges said the women outdid the men.  Perhaps the few good performances (and lakisha's great one) made them forget. But they pretty much hated most of the girls.

I stil like blake and phil and the 2 chris.  They weren't as good as lakisha. But i can definitely see some combination of them with melinda and lakisha in the final 4.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Actually, this came up last night...  A couple of years ago in DC - well, more like 10 (is that still a "couple") - I used to play rehearsals for one of the Gilbert & Sullivan groups in town, The Washington Savoyards.  -Heck, if DR elmore can mention HGO, I can mention The Washington Savoyards.  -And, thankfully, due to various administrative and artistic staff changes, the Savoyards are a much better group all around nowadays.  In any case... Back to me...

Rehearsals at that time were sort of loosely run for various reasons.  One of the main reasons was that the group followed the traditional stagings of the G&S operettas, and since most of the members were diehard G&Sers, the staging rehearsals would tend to go "fast".  However, this familiarity with the material coupled with a strangely long(!) rehearsal period would end up turning the rehearsals into little more than social hours.  Very loud, chatty, laugh-filled social hours.  Well...

I was not their full-time pianist - and not really a G&S fan to begin with - so whenever I came in, I came to work, to play piano.  And to pick up a surprisingly nice paycheck.  But still, if I endured the rush hour traffic on the Washington Beltway, I at least wanted to do what I was hired for.

There was one rehearsal where I realized that I had not played a note for about 15 minutes... then 20... then 25... then...

"WILL YOU ALL SHUT THE F*CK UP AND REHEARSE!!!!!!!"

-Yes, I used the F-word.

And after a moment of stunned silence from everyone in the hall, the musical director came over to the piano, and started the rehearsal.

*And some people actually Thanked me for doing what I did.

(to be continued)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 08:27:58 AM »

Re: last night's LOST.

I actually liked the show.  I was glad to get to see kate/sawyer and also get to see what was happening with Jack and the others. I was a bit disappointed that kate/sawyer never got back to the island though. They really dragged that out.

I was okay seeing jack's backstory. Although i would rather get to see the backstory of different people. I really enjoyed seeing juliet's last week.

I like seeing jack interact with juliet and ben. I am very curious to see where they are going.  And i liked seeing alex get involved. And it was also interesting to see cindy the stewardess and some of the children.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »

Going out to lunch with friends later, so I need to head down now and get cleaned up.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »

Needless to say, it was one of those very slow burn situations in regards to my temper, my outburst.  I had played a few rehearsals for the group before, so they knew me and liked me.  They had just never "heard" me before.  Well, they did that night.  And like I said, a couple of people thanked me for doing what I did.  And I was asked to play for them again after that evening.

Alas, some of the biggest conniption fits I've had have involved my parents.  It's been years since my parents and I have had a fight of any sort, but there was one doozy of a fight where I "said" something to my father which I still regret at times today.  Live and learn.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 08:41:23 AM »

From Ginny:
That sounds like quite a responsibility, DR Jane.

I’m very nervous and I really need to begin reading it.  Once I begin I want to read straight through the manuscript without many breaks.  This isn’t something I can read under the covers with a flashlight. :)

The author has included a list of questions to help him with the next draft, and to make it easier for me to give my honest opinions.  He said to let him know if I don’t like the book & want to stop reading it, which will also be helpful to him.  I sincerely doubt I won’t be able to read the entire manuscript.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »

...Otherwise, I tend to have a high threshold for dealing with sh*t.  -Just ask the cast of What If? ::)  It takes a lot for me to get visibly and audibly angry.  I guess "This too shall pass" has always been ingrained in me.  I usually just walk it off - literally - or sleep it off - literally.  And I guess I used to "eat it off" too.

And there have been situations where I guess I could have gotten angry, but, instead I was hurt and saddened.  In those situations, I call DR elmore.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:44:39 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 08:44:45 AM »

Keith measured 10½ inches of snow on the ground this morning.  Sherlock keeps going outside and barking.  I think he can hear dogs in the distance.  Soon I will head out with him, wish I had snow shoes, & meet up with one of my neighbor's who wants to begin walking with me.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »

Re: last night's LOST.
I was a bit disappointed that kate/sawyer never got back to the island though. They really dragged that out.

Of course they did.  They just didn't sail around to the side where their comrades are camped out.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »

Now onto more important matters...  "American Idol"!

Once I got home last night, I went ahead and watched the show courtesy of the DVR.  So...

1) Boy have they sold a ton of commercial time!  I couldn't believe how long I would down the fast-forward button at times.

2) I liked Lakisha a lot too.  However, I thought "the note" was good, but not as good as it could have been.  Additionally, the cut/edit of that song was horrible!

3) I, too, want to see Antonella go home.  Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up