Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY  (Read 29598 times)

FJL

Re:THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »

And one for Miller

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »

Andrew Sullivan features his dogs, again:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »

Kewt!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

I would have bet the house on PAN'S LABYRINTH being a sure thing.  I wonder if anyone got that one right.

Speaking of Best Foreign Language pics, does anyone know the story behind why LA DOLCE VITA was not even nominated in that category in 1960?  Nominated for Costumes (which it won), Art Direction, Screenplay and Director, but not for Picture.  Bizarre...

Also bizarre that whoever slapped together that montage of clips saluting fifty years of Best Foreign Language film award winners included a couple of snippets on LA DOLCE VITA.  

That is odd.  It was certainly a faux pas to include it, if they were celebrating 50 years of winners/nominees in that category.

How is THIS for an Oscar oddity?

"The Emigrants"    
A.B. Svensk Filmindustri Production; Warner Bros. [Sweden]  

1971 (44th)  FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM -- Sweden  

1972 (45th)  ACTRESS -- Liv Ullmann {"Kristina"}  
   DIRECTING -- Jan Troell  
   BEST PICTURE -- Bengt Forslund, Producer  
   WRITING (Screenplay--based on material from another medium) -- Jan Troell, Bengt Forslund  

And it won NONE of the Oscars for which it was nominated.

Best Foreign Language film of 1971 went to "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:37:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »

The weird, weird world of Oscar.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »

How is THIS for an Oscar oddity?

How about the fact that two of the US entries were not English language films (Apololypto and Iwo Jima) and one (Babel) was only partially in English?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »

The weird, weird world of Oscar.

Don't you mean weiner, weiner world of Oscar?

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »

Congratulations to DR Jennifer on winning the Oscar prediction pool!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »

I'm into the new chapter.  Now I have to deal with some stuff regarding the Shire CD - sending mp3s to one of my mail order dealers.  A total pain.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »

Don't you mean weiner, weiner world of Oscar?

der Brucer

...and the weiner is...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »

I'm quite hungry right now.  But I don't eat until one-thirty.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2007, 12:26:42 PM »

Best Foreign Language Beverage:

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »

Will we never get to page seven?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »

DR Edi - you'll be in New York Mar 29-30, is that right?   I'm probably going to be in Atlanta for a seminar.

Shoot!!! Yes, if the Quad Cinema hadn't moved our date back a week...

Argh! I am so bummed! I will probably go to NY the night of the 28th/morning of the 29th and come back Sunday evening.  

Waaaaaahhhhhhhh!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »

You'll never get to 7 if you break my heart, so be very careful not to make us part...

—Bacharach (actually David)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:40:08 PM by Rodzinski »

Edisaurus

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »

*DR edisaurus - I'll just bring your prize with me next week when I head to Atlanta.

You *will* be my prize!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »

The folks at my job today have been enjoying flan #2. Some of them had never heard of flan. Kids.

Edisaurus

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »

Who was the sound guy with 19 noms? (Randy Newman used to call himself Susan Lucci until he won.) I've mixed a few films in the Bay Area, at Skywalker, so I wonder if I know him?

Edisaurus

« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »

Whoever said it wasn't worth going back and reading the 60 some posts from last night was wrong. It was very entertaining!

Edisaurus

« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »

MHO on some of the Oscar elements discussed:

I liked Pilobilus. They usually have so random thing like that, or Cirque du Whatever or something that has little to do with movies, so at least these were short, and I found the Snakes on a Plane one very funny.

I liked the Writer's Montage. The other one (America?) started when I was out of the room. I came back in and saw most of it but still had to ask what the theme was, because none was apparent.

The thing that bugs me about these montages is that the Academy makes a big deal about Barbara Koppel, or Jonathan Demme or Woody Allen doing these tribute montages, when all they probably do is slap their name on it and the editor does all the work putting it together. They are fun and I enjoy watching them, but it's nothing that a halfway decent editor couldn't do. I've done tons of these on my own, and these editors have many assistants to view films and pull clips for them. It's all about finding good music and the rest is easy.

I was glad to see Ennio Morriocne get an award, but another mediocre montage. And in his list of films at the end, they didn't mention "Sacco and Vanzetti". (I did see a clip from a Buster Keaton film that we use in S&V in one of the montaages...nobody else knew why Greg and I were laughing.)

Celine Dion---pretentous posturing. I couldn't wait for it to end!

I liked Ellen, particularly the bit with Spielberg.

I was glad to see Randy but like bk, I wish he had performed the song himself. Not one of his best, but better than the other stuff.

I thought they should have cut the choral group doing the "foley". And rarely is foley done like that---they would just cut the sfx from wild tracks or a library, so what was the point???

The death montages are getting better---at least they are nice visually and they picked good shots. They also did a nice job of graphically incorporating the titles of the films for writers, etc.

I guess Ray Evans will be in next year's montage.

Kirsten Dunst looked rough and squinty. Helen Mirren looked miraculous and made a perfect speech. I also thought one of the writers made a perfect speech, too. But it always bugs me when 2-3 people go up and the first person hogs the mike and the others are standing there like so much fish.

I hated the Dreamgirls number and thought the songs and staging were lame.

The party I attended had some annoying people talking very loudly and having to comment on every little thing, to try and prove how much the knew about films. Other people were not there to watch the show and talked so loudly that you couldn't hear half of what was said, and then when people laughed, they wanted you to go back and explain the joke---thus interrupting what was said next. I don't understand why people would come to an Oscar party and then not even watch it! But I did enjoy seeing our friends' house and their huge screen, so I was glad I went. I was missing the HHW action while I was there, and wishing I had brought my laptop. (How rude!)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

I had an exciting adventure trapping the feral cats last night on the property bordering the church and the local drinking club -- I mean service club.

One gentleman did not like the explanation I gave him about trapping them, getting them spayed/neutered, then bringing them back. He tried to convince me to leave. With a loaded rifle. I left.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »

The thing I never understood about PAPER CHASE was the constant need to impress the professors in class.  Except for the rare seminar class, the grades were based entirely on your final exam for the course (which was graded with a code number rather than your actual name on the booklet) - unlike business school, where class participation was half your grade.

We had some professors that took attendance into account, but I don't think anyone took participation into account.  The writing classes had a division of what added up to your grade, but we were also graded on the final alone.  Ours was by name if I remember correctly

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2007, 01:15:40 PM »

I had an exciting adventure trapping the feral cats last night on the property bordering the church and the local drinking club -- I mean service club.

One gentleman did not like the explanation I gave him about trapping them, getting them spayed/neutered, then bringing them back. He tried to convince me to leave. With a loaded rifle. I left.

You needed Billy Jack with you last night.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »

Shoot!!! Yes, if the Quad Cinema hadn't moved our date back a week...

Argh! I am so bummed! I will probably go to NY the night of the 28th/morning of the 29th and come back Sunday evening.  

Waaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Don't worry we'll meet.

Besides I really need to pay attention to the classes at this one including the lunch classes and dinner classes. (can you believe that - substantive topics over meals) This is my first meeting with this group of people and I will also need to do some serious networking so I have people to call when I need help.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2007, 01:18:58 PM »

Food in twenty minutes!  Art's Deli - every sandwich is a work of Art.  While that may be true, the food, sadly, has never even approached the art of Langer's Deli - still, it's better than Jerry's.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »

I liked the Writer's Montage. The other one (America?) started when I was out of the room. I came back in and saw most of it but still had to ask what the theme was, because none was apparent.

One strike against the writer's montage:  it contained one of my all-time least favorite movie scenes--the clip from JULIA where Jane Fonda picks up the typewriter and slams it out the window.  Such a fakey moment in an otherwise wonderful movie.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

You needed Billy Jack with you last night.

Dr Laura and the one tin soldier....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »

I got four region 2 DVDs today - none of which are available here - they include Any Wednesday, William Castle's Homicidal (well, it's available here in a stupid open matte transfer - now I have it in its correct aspect ratio of 1:85), and two Lelouch films, Robert et Robert, and Attention Bandits - I'm looking foward to all of them, but may watch The Prestige or For Your Consideration this evening - or both if time permits.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up